"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 522 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #15631 of 22954 Old 09-05-2008, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had a chance to really give my new 805 a workout this evening. I was absolutely thrilled with the DVD Eagles: Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne. I've listened to these DVD's many times, but never heard the drums like I did tonight. And the accordion. And, of course, the guitars. This 805 is some nice piece of engineering!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15632 of 22954 Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post

Had a chance to really give my new 805 a workout this evening. I was absolutely thrilled with the DVD Eagles: Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne. I've listened to these DVD's many times, but never heard the drums like I did tonight. And the accordion. And, of course, the guitars. This 805 is some nice piece of engineering!

To steal a line from Bruce Willis in "Die Hard," welcome to the party, pal! Despite its quirks, it is truly a groundbreaking piece of equipment. I love it! And if you think that Eagles DVD is something, you oughtta hear the DTS-HD Master Audio version.

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

post #15633 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 06:51 AM

Could those with a USA 705, 805 or 806 models please advise if your units pass PAL 576i or 576P sources over component and composite OK. Does it pass them OK natively? Does it upscale over HDMI OK? I maybe buying one of these on a trip from New Zealand soon, and despite the 110V/AM/FM issues, I'm very tempted due to the incredible cost savings. Many thanks.
post #15634 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I've played some PAL discs natively through my 805 and the signals passed through just fine using hdmi.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #15635 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 AM

Greetings, I am a new 805 owner (upgraded from 10 yr. old Onkyo 747) and am quite happy so far. However there is one issue which I could not find an answer to in my searches. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate some feedback.
Set up includes:
- Directv HDDVR (new Blk recv'r - hooked up w/ HDMI to TV and Coax Dig. to 805)
- Onkyo 504 DVD/SACD player (hooked up to 805 via HDMI + Multi Ch. Analog)
- Onkyo Integra 606 CD player (hooked up with optical and analog to HDMI)
- Technics TT (hooked up analog, of course)
- Hitachi 42HDX99 Plasma (805 HDMI out to TV for DVD pic and OSD)
Issue:
When watching Directv programming (HDMI direct to tv with secondary coax dig. cable to receiver for sound) there are random and sporadic drops in sound. Every 15 or 30 minutes or so there is a 1 second pause in the sound as if it is losing the signal. The sound drop is from all channels simultaneously, as if pressing the mute button quickly. Because the problem is intermittent, I can not replicate it at will.

My old receiver was hooked up exactly the same way, except w/ an optical cable, and this issue was never present. As such, I do not believe it is caused by the Directv recv'r... I have also rewound and replayed the section of video that loses sound using only the TV speakers. When using only the TV speakers, there is no loss of sound (which seems to point the finger at the 805).

Note: It is Firmware 1.08. Lyp Sync issues may be minimal, but they are so much improved over my old recv'r that I'm not worried about that. Also, I have not noticed the sound dropping from any other sources. I have played music extensively from both the cd player and the universal player and have had no drops in sound.

Like I said, any and all help will be appreciated. I really do not want to box this thing up and send it back, either for return or for repair....). Thanks in advance!

RD
post #15636 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^^^^^^

I'd take the analog out and just use the hdmi to the 805. Then use the 805 to feed the tv, in the same way you have the DVD.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #15637 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 PM

Hello all:

I'm in the market to buy one of these great machines but I've heard a few issues throughout my research (running hot, etc.).

I know this is a lot to ask (as I hate when others ask the thread posters to do their homework for them), but could some of you please post the issues you've personally encountered with the AVR? The 805 seems like the clear winner when performance-value is considered and from what I can see the positives far outweigh the negatives.

If it makes more sense to PM me, feel free.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
post #15638 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 01:08 PM

Well if you want a quick rundown on the "negatives", ill just list them real quick for you with minimal explainations from worst to better and then you can probably just search for the individual problems to get the low-down on them:

1) slight audio delay on ALL inputs except for Multi-Ch input. unnoticeable with most materials but bad for certain games like Rock Band. SOME people returned their units for this problem alone (me, not one of them), so I would really look into this first before deciding.
2) about 3-5 delay when switching audio sources and when tv changing channels, or sometimes when shows goto commercials and back from commercials
3) DTS-MA bomb issue which is very bad for your ears and speakers, but fixable on newer units with a software update
4) Heat issue that i dont really think is much of an issue unless you have cramped AV rack or shelf. Mine does get hot, but not hot enough for the fans to activate.
post #15639 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 01:13 PM

I can't really generalize it but so far I haven't encountered any of the listed problems with my new 805 about a week old. I have it in a audio pier with the back and front open with about 4 inch space on top and I don't experience any temperature issue. Shipped with updated firmware and an unbeatable price I would say.

I guess my only problem right now is the fact that I have to optimize my settings and that's quite a challenge for me.
post #15640 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had my 805 for 14 months and really like it. Since I got the firmware updated to 1.08 about my only complaint is lip sync delay, which is most noticeable with lossless audio tracks in my setup. I also wish it had another HDMI input. Aside from that I'm golden with the 805. I do wish it had some of the newer Audyssey features, but those weren't available (as far as I know) when the 805 was released, so that's just an "I wish" comment.

I've not had any problems with heat. My 805 has plenty of ventilation and, yes, it gets hot, but it's supposed to from what I understand. Never once has the receiver shut down or had any heat-related issues.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #15641 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
No issues with my 805:

DTS Bomb doesn't really apply to the PS3 and it doesn't bitstream the HD stuff. Besides, a DSP upgrade fixes that.
As for the heat, even though my unit is in the open air, I bought one of those fans that's on the FAQ for the 705. Quite a few have them here.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #15642 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 01:27 PM

Chad,

Maybe its just me but I'm not digging the Audyssey just yet. I'm having problem optimizing my sounds. I will play with them some more but right now I have them set to off with the exception of distance w/ frequency of 80Hz across the board.

Question for the experts. Do I need to max out (120Hz instead of 80Hz) the frequency knob in my sub or will the internal setting override it. Thanks a bunch!
post #15643 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorneth1 View Post

Question for the experts. Do I need to max out (120Hz instead of 80Hz) the frequency knob in my sub or will the internal setting override it. Thanks a bunch!

I think that depends on the sub. Some subs bypass the internal crossover when you hook up the signal to the LFE input. So, the receiver crossover setting is what determines what gets sent to the sub. Other subs may still use the internal crossover, in which case you should just turn it all the way up. That way, the receiver crossover setting is what's limiting the signal, with the sub accepting everything it gets. Make sense?
post #15644 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 03:08 PM

I too am having sound issues from HDMI connection from DirectTV connection to 805. I get no sound out thru my speakers connected to the receiver but if I select "HDMI Audio Out" as "on" then the sound gets passed thru to my TV and it plays on my TV speakers fine...I want sound from my home theater speakers connected to the 805...does anybody have any suggestions? Am I missing something in the setup or configuration?

Thanks for your help.
post #15645 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chad,

Maybe its just me but I'm not digging the Audyssey just yet. I'm having problem optimizing my sounds. I will play with them some more but right now I have them set to off with the exception of distance w/ frequency of 80Hz across the board.

I've mentioned it several times in this thread before, but for the first few months I owned my 805 I didn't like Audyssey and left it turned off. Then I read about all of the Audyssey calibration procedures and found I was doing pretty much everything right *except* I was only doing a 3 point calibration because I only have 3 seating positions. Once I started doing 8 point calibrations that made all of the difference. I'm now a big fan. Check out the Audyssey thread and scan this thread for more calibration info, but here are the basics:
  • first, pick a time of day when family members are out of the house and neighbors are not mowing the lawn, running chainsaws, leaf blowers, etc. For me, that is usually early morning or late at night.
  • make sure the room is absolutely silent. Temporarily turn off the A/C, unplug the fridge, unplug phones, turn off cell phones, etc.
  • use a tripod for the microphone and try to place the mic at the height and location of your ears. Make sure nothing on the tripod or your furniture is blocking between the speakers and microphone.
  • probably not necessary, but I put bath towels on the seating to simulate the clothing of the people who would normally be sitting there.
  • "pre-calibrate" your sub(s) by setting the sub level control on the 805 to "0", then adjust the volume level of your sub so that it is somewhere in the 75db to 82db range using the knob on the sub itself. This is so you will have plenty of +/- range in the 805's sub channel level control. If your sub has a phase control, set it to the "0" or "off" setting.
  • do a 6 point calibration at minimum. Best to do 8 points
  • after the calibration, I change all crossover points to match my speaker specs. I don't leave any of them full range. In my setup, that results in 80hz for mains and center, and 100hz for side and back surrounds.
  • after the setup, use an SPL meter to bring all speakers to 75db.
I may be missing something, but that's the main stuff I can think of.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #15646 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 03:34 PM

I guess there are no quick solution to this but to browse the thread, experiment on my own, and see other's settings. Thanks for the input I will definitely try what you suggested especially the 8 seating position. I only did it for 3 position but I will go ahead and try more. Did you have any input for the sub knob calibration? Thanks.
post #15647 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metal View Post

I think that depends on the sub. Some subs bypass the internal crossover when you hook up the signal to the LFE input. So, the receiver crossover setting is what determines what gets sent to the sub. Other subs may still use the internal crossover, in which case you should just turn it all the way up. That way, the receiver crossover setting is what's limiting the signal, with the sub accepting everything it gets. Make sense?

Thanks Mr.Metal, that's what I've read so far but I want to hear from others as well. Will go ahead and try it.
post #15648 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess there are no quick solution to this but to browse the thread, experiment on my own, and see other's settings. Thanks for the input I will definitely try what you suggested especially the 8 seating position. I only did it for 3 position but I will go ahead and try more. Did you have any input for the sub knob calibration? Thanks.

Mr.Metal covered that pretty well. What brand/model sub do you have?

post #15649 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

I've mentioned it several times in this thread before, but for the first few months I owned my 805 I didn't like Audyssey and left it turned off. Then I read about all of the Audyssey calibration procedures and found I was doing pretty much everything right *except* I was only doing a 3 point calibration because I only have 3 seating positions. Once I started doing 8 point calibrations that made all of the difference. I'm now a big fan. Check out the Audyssey thread and scan this thread for more calibration info, but here are the basics:
  • make sure the room is absolutely silent. Temporarily turn off the A/C, unplug the fridge, etc.
  • use a tripod for the microphone and try to place the mic at the height and location of your ears. Make sure nothing on the tripod or your furniture is blocking between the speakers and microphone.
  • probably not necessary, but I put bath towels on the seating to simulate the clothing of the people who would normally be sitting there.
  • do a 6 point calibration at minimum. Best to do 8 points
  • after the calibration, I change all crossover points to match my speaker specs. I don't leave any of them full range. In my setup, that results in 80hz for mains and center, and 100hz for side and back surrounds.
  • after the setup, use an SPL meter to bring all speakers to 75db.
I may be missing something, but that's the main stuff I can think of.

One other thing I've found useful is to calibrate my sub to 75db before doing the Audyssey setup. Set the level calibration for the sub to 0, then adjust the volume knob on the sub to get to 75db.
post #15650 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 03:49 PM

Guess I'll have to purchase an SPL meter after all.
post #15651 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Excellent mini how-to Chad. I'll second unplugging the fridge etc. I ran Audyssey one last spring with the windows open and the birds outside were too loud!
post #15652 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

One other thing I've found useful is to calibrate my sub to 75db before doing the Audyssey setup. Set the level calibration for the sub to 0, then adjust the volume knob on the sub to get to 75db.

Yes, good advice. I have two subs, so it is even more critical to pre-calibrate to make sure each sub is calibrated equally so one doesn't have to work harder than the other.

That reminds me of one other thing: if your sub has a phase control, I believe Audyssey recommends turning it to the "off" or "zero" setting before running the calibration.

post #15653 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

Excellent mini how-to Chad. I'll second unplugging the fridge etc. I ran Audyssey one last spring with the windows open and the birds outside were too loud!

Thanks! Yeah, Audyssey seems to be really sensitive to any sort of noise.

One other thing: I run Audyssey late at night or early in the morning.....some time when neighbors aren't out running lawn mowers, chain saws, etc. Also, one time I had the UPS guy ring my door bell during the test tones of the 8th point of the calibration. That was 45 minutes totally wasted as I had to completely re-do the calibration.

post #15654 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeysnout View Post

I too am having sound issues from HDMI connection from DirectTV connection to 805. I get no sound out thru my speakers connected to the receiver but if I select "HDMI Audio Out" as "on" then the sound gets passed thru to my TV and it plays on my TV speakers fine...I want sound from my home theater speakers connected to the 805...does anybody have any suggestions? Am I missing something in the setup or configuration?

Thanks for your help.

That is the correct behaivor of "HDMI audio out" but you should obviously hear sound from the speakers when that is off. Are you sure you have the inputs assigned correctly, and have the right input selected?
post #15655 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

Yes, good advice. I have two subs, so it is even more critical to pre-calibrate to make sure each sub is calibrated equally so one doesn't have to work harder than the other.

That reminds me of one other thing: if your sub has a phase control, I believe Audyssey recommends turning it to the "off" or "zero" setting before running the calibration.

Chad, did you start with 1 sub then upgrade to 2? Does having 2 subs make a big difference?
post #15656 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

Chad, did you start with 1 sub then upgrade to 2? Does having 2 subs make a big difference?

I had a single SVS 20-30PC+ sub, but sold it and upgraded to two AV123 MFW-15 subs awhile back. The main thing I noticed is that my frequency response really evened out. For example, the first time I watched the tripod rising scene in WOTW after switching to two subs there were parts that didn't have near the impact before. It really evened things out.

I also got some additional headroom, but the SVS did pretty good in that regard to begin with. The sound is also cleaner/more musical, but I think that is the difference between the SVS and AV123 subs and not so much one vs. two.

post #15657 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Chad, just out of pure curiosity, how do you place these subs? Opposing mid-wall points, are both up front, etc? Was there much experimenting at all? Just curious because I've wondered about going dual . . . one day . . . far in the future . . . my sub is expensive . . .

And my room is not symmetrical but open on one side. I don't have tremendous options in placement either, and they definitely will not fit up front, due to screen size. I've noticed localization is easier the louder I crank it. Pressurized from the right side. Thanks for your two cents.

post #15658 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

My room opens up into another room as well. From right to left, my setup is currently: wall->right main->sub->center->sub->left main->open into adjoining room. Not totally ideal, and I don't have much room for other placement options, but I'm pleased with the sound. My front wall is similar to "Figure 1" in this article aside from the adjoining room:

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ge...nection-guide/

post #15659 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 05:53 PM

walk,

Yes, everything is assigned appropriately and right input selected...I get perfect video but there is no sound at all...my dvd HDMI connection works flawlessy...so im curious if it could be a potential HDMI handshake issue w/ the HDCP?

Thanks
post #15660 of 22954 Old 09-06-2008, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the response, Chad. I'm glad you are enjoying the setup.

Ya know, a big possible benefit you have with subs up front is that you could boost certain frequencies, particularly the more localizable ones, from the subs. I personally find the one and possibly only area where HTs are not as good as some cinemas is the midbass. Entirely the fault of the mains. So, some people add a shelving filter to boost the area around 110hz or so from the subs with something like a DCX2496. Some call it the kick the chest or something. Wish I could actually give that a shot.

Can only do that when they are placed near the mains.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page