"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #181 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Legierk, great job - well written - practical and entertaining to boot!
I (and others, I'm sure) look forward to your follow up tests and constructive criticism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 08:21 PM

How much top clearance space would you give this bad boy in a shelf?

post #183 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks so much for your review, legierk

I want this AVR so bad..
post #184 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 PM

I posted this back on page 3 but never got a reply. Now that we have some more traffic on this post I'll ask the same question again. I am about to pull the trigger on this unit but want to make sure it's going to work for me!

The question is about those of us in the stone age using DVI. I am currently running DVI from my computer to my projector and component from my Moto DVR also to my projector. I would like to use the 805 to do all my video switching.

Am I going to have any problems with sending DVI from the computer, using a DVI2HDMI adapter to the 805 and then sending the hdmi out from the 805 through a hdmi2DVI adapter and then to the projector? Here's a diagram:

Computer (DVI) --->(DVI2hdmi adpt.)-->805-->(hdmi2DVI) --> (DVI) projector

Moto DVR (hdmi) -->805-->(hdmi2DVI) --> (DVI) projector
post #185 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

I too am in the HDMI to DVI converter boat. I would be grateful if anyone could test this. Although, I am holding out for the 875, so I guess it would be better to wait for someone to test that unit...
post #186 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Almost time to hit the rack....but I'll comment on those questions real quick.

Thanks for the kind words. If you're on the fence (as I believe joerod said), get off. The 805 will do what it's advertised to do, and do it well.

How much room for convection cooling? The obvious answer is as much as you can give it. Normally I'd say a minimum of 2 inches on top, but in the case of the 805, I'm gonna say 3 inches minimum. This thing will probably reduce my heating bill this winter........

warehouse, I don't think the DVI adapters will cause you problems, as long as they are of a good quality. (Some of those are suspect and can cause all sorts of little issues and is very difficult to track down (diagnose). You will have to run a separate audio cable however, but you probably already knew that.

You mentioned a component cable too. If you are going to upconvert your component to HDMI (as you said "have the receiver do the video switching") and feed the projector with the HDMI2DVI cable, the most you're going to get is 720p from that component source. We've already been over this. If you want to get 1080i or 1080p out of your component connected source, you'll have to go to the projector with the component cable also. This will negate the receiver doing the video switching. Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #187 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the great review legierk. Does anyone have the dimensions of this beast at hand so that I don't have to download the manual?

edit: nevermind, found it on the onkyo website.
post #188 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

For everyone that's new to the Audyssey system, you will get much better results if you take measurements at the maximum locations, 6 or 8 depending on the unit.

Here is some info from the Audyssey FAQ...

Quote:

How many listening locations can be measured?

The equalization performance increases with the number of measurements. Audyssey recommends a minimum of 4 with most rooms performing best with 6 measurements. The maximum number of measurements is limited by the available memory in the receiver or controller and in some products can go up to 8.

Does the microphone have to be placed in each seat?

No. The ideal calibration consists of 6-8 measurements that encompass the listening area. It is important to have the microphone in the main listening position for the first measurement so that the delays are calculated correctly. After that, the mic should be moved around so that it covers an area within which listeners will be seated.

Hope this helps, enjoy your new toy!
post #189 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 08:58 PM

Does the volume show on screen through hdmi connection?
post #190 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I just hooked up my Onkyo TX-SR805 and attached my Samsung BD-P1200 to it via hdmi. Since it's been confirmed that the PS3 will not send lossless via bitstream, I decided try my Samsung which is the only other hdmi 1.3 blu-ray player on the market. I popped in Total Recall which is DTS-HD HR and to my dismay it does not send lossless via bitstream. Instead you get an hdmi audio error message and the Onkyo recognizes it as DTS ES discrete. Excuses the crappy images, see the pictures below.

Oh well.

So it's official there is currently no way to send DD+, DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD via bitstream to these receivers.
LL
LL

Making the most out of what I got.
post #191 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

I just hooked up my Onkyo TX-SR805 and attached my Samsung BD-P1200 to it via hdmi. Since it's been confirmed that the PS3 will not send lossless via bitstream, I decided try my Samsung which is the only other hdmi 1.3 blu-ray player on the market. I popped in Total Recall which is DTS-HD HR and to my dismay it does not send lossless via bitstream. Instead you get an hdmi audio error message and the Onkyo recognizes it as DTS ES discrete. Excuses the crappy images, see the pictures below.

Oh well.

So it's official there is currently no way to send DD+, DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD via bitstream to these receivers.

Hello,
Just curious what you think of the 805 compared to the 861. I know it's almost apples and oranges since the 805 is 1.3, but I'm still curious (assuming it's appropriate for this thread - if not Ihave no problems being redirected). Thanks!
post #192 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Oh well.

Interesting....I thought this could be done! Anyone know if its the Onkyo receiver or the Samsung Blu Ray player preventing this?? Also, is this something that can be fixed with a future firmware upgrade, or does it require a future Receiver/Blu Ray player to accomplish??
post #193 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 10:10 PM

Also, I currently have a Sony STR-DA4ES & I utilize both of the mutlichannel inputs, one for a SACD DVD player & one for a DVD-Audio player! But the Onkyo 805 appears to only have one set of multichannel inputs! Could I get Y splitters for the 6 analog cables, (2 fronts, 2 rears, center channel & sub) so both can be hooked up & utilized at the same time?
post #194 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitchell24 View Post

Also, I currently have a Sony STR-DA4ES & I utilize both of the mutlichannel inputs, one for a SACD DVD player & one for a DVD-Audio player! But the Onkyo 805 appears to only have one set of multichannel inputs! Could I get Y splitters for the 6 analog cables, (2 fronts, 2 rears, center channel & sub) so both can be hooked up & utilized at the same time?

They make multichannel 5.1 switchers for 2 5.1 inputs and 1 5.1 output. I have one made by Sony that was designed to match my 9000 ES preamp and amp, which is also a 9000 ES, but they call it an analog preamp. I think if you were to look for something similar you would find it at www.monoprice.com. They sell just about any kind of cable or switcher in existence. Good luck.
post #195 of 23031 Old 06-07-2007, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Well, it looks like I'll be joinin' the club tomorrow! After talking to one of the representatives from J&R, he said that it would get shipped out today. After waiting and waiting for a confirmation email, I finally called them back about 4:30 PST, and asked them what the status was. Another rep said that it had shipped and you should get your email sometime tonight or likely tomorrow morning.

Sure enough, I received my email a few minutes ago!

Gonna make some prep-time and get my space cleared for the new receiver! Should be interesting going from the Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi to this! I'll post back with my thoughts after a little time to play with it!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #196 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRSBSKIER View Post

I have my 805, now the only problem I have is I cant use it. My basement is not finished. I took some pictures of it, and my current setup from the back of the room thats a 52in Mitsubishi DLP and the old receiver is on the opposite side with the speakers up high, not set up correctly but almost as good as i could. I don't have any cables long enough to reach where the speaker wire comes out of they wall except one pair of red and white analog (I think the red is actually yellow it works fine). So I can't really test it, except the center the speakers are about 30 years old.

continued below

I'm seeing different colors for the displays on the 805 on the net and yours appears to be white. I preordered the 875 and it shows up green in the photos I found. Are they white or green?
post #197 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Its green I had to resize the photo to fit in the 500kb limit.

I failed in trying to switch out my current receiver I only have 20 inches of shelf depth up against a wall and another shelf 11 inches above it and the wires don't go very far all of this made it really hard to see what I was doing. I am also pretty sure I did something else wrong or didn't do something, I will have to go back through the manual, I am thinking I didn't go through all of the speaker setup steps. After I thought I was done only the FR and FL speakers were the only ones working, The receiver didn't display any of the others as on in any of the formats. I guess I will have to wait a month or two till my basement is finished and not try it so late.

Here is a bigger picture of the 805's display, you may have to click on it if your browser shrinks it to fit in your window.
LL
post #198 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am getting my 805 on Monday as well as my new rack to hold this monster. Father's Day and birthday taken care.

Now for a dumb question.

I have never used a speaker set-up routine. Looking through the manual I downloaded, I did not see any suggestion as to the Volume level the receiver should be set at when this is run. Since other manuals I have looked at advised that this test could be very loud, and even uncomfortable to your ears, at what level do you run this test at? Any suggestions?

Also, once this routine has finished, do I leave the settings on the subwoofer at what they were set to during the test, or do I set them to the level the receiver now shows in the speaker information screen?

Thank you all for putting up with this.

Regards,

Steve
post #199 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo-cephus View Post

Hello,
Just curious what you think of the 805 compared to the 861. I know it's almost apples and oranges since the 805 is 1.3, but I'm still curious (assuming it's appropriate for this thread - if not Ihave no problems being redirected). Thanks!

On the video processing part, the 861 is far superior than the 805, it upscales signals to 1080i.
post #200 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 04:12 AM

just bought this one yesterday, I'm going from a denon4306 on my living room and the good old sony str-da4es in my bedroom. I hope that this will out perform my 4306 or its going straight back...
post #201 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh well.

Bummer. I was hoping that the Sammy would be THE player to pass the bitstream. The manual says so!! Are you going to take this up with Samsung?

On the other side of the great divide. I do have a disk authored in DTS HD and DTS HD MA that IS NOT advanced content and the XA2 will not pass that as bitstream either. So it looks like all us THD & DTS MA devotees are SOL until someone gets a player right. Oh well.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #202 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderduck View Post

I am getting my 805 on Monday as well as my new rack to hold this monster. Father's Day and birthday taken care.

Now for a dumb question.

I have never used a speaker set-up routine. Looking through the manual I downloaded, I did not see any suggestion as to the Volume level the receiver should be set at when this is run. Since other manuals I have looked at advised that this test could be very loud, and even uncomfortable to your ears, at what level do you run this test at? Any suggestions?

Also, once this routine has finished, do I leave the settings on the subwoofer at what they were set to during the test, or do I set them to the level the receiver now shows in the speaker information screen?

Thank you all for putting up with this.

Regards,

Steve

If its like the 604, the volume is out of your control. You just forward through a series of menus and thats it. The sound isn't too loud, a little jolt the first time you hear it because it is not the pink noise I was used too. As for the sub, I would say after it finishes, test everything and see how you like it. Run the setup again and see if its consistent. On the 604, I ran the EQ several times and it was very consistent. I am very impressed with it. BTW, will be joining the 805 club very soon, can't wait.

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

post #203 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

If its like the 604, the volume is out of your control. You just forward through a series of menus and thats it. The sound isn't too loud, a little jolt the first time you hear it because it is not the pink noise I was used too. As for the sub, I would say after it finishes, test everything and see how you like it. Run the setup again and see if its consistent. On the 604, I ran the EQ several times and it was very consistent. I am very impressed with it. BTW, will be joining the 805 club very soon, can't wait.

Thank you very much. Appreciate the heads-up.
post #204 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 05:15 AM

what is the big difference between bitstream and lpcm? someone please school me on this
post #205 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
By the way, I just thought of something. How long is that cable on the Audyssey microphone - and can it be extended with a patchcord? My equipment resides in an equipment room off the theater - and I need about 30' to reach the various measurment locations from the receiver?
post #206 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Oh well.

I'm new to all of this, but I have to ask. Are we sure it's not the disc that's at fault here? Does having the soundtrack mean it will be allowed to be passed out any way the user chooses? If you pick LPCM output, will you then get dts HD MA through hdmi? Still trying to figure out who's really to blame here, that's all.

bg
post #207 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzxx7 View Post

what is the big difference between bitstream and lpcm? someone please school me on this

Read the "why you don't need HDMI 1.3", this is covered at some length. The short story is that the bitstream is the raw undecoded track(s) that would be sent over HDMI or the digital connectors for the AVR to process. PCM or LPCM can be an audio soundtrack or an in the player decoded audio sound track that is sent to the AVR as a digital stream or a multi-channel digital stream. Basically one is the coded material the other has been unencoded. I'll get shot for this simplistic explanation but its as close as I can put it in a paragraph.

post #208 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

I'm new to all of this, but I have to ask. Are we sure it's not the disc that's at fault here? Does having the soundtrack mean it will be allowed to be passed out any way the user chooses? If you pick LPCM output, will you then get dts HD MA through hdmi? Still trying to figure out who's really to blame here, that's all.

The disk itself bears part of the blame as many are advanced content so they must be encoded in the player by BD or HD DVD standards, or so I understand. The majority of the fault, if any, is with the players as they won't pass the bitstreams to the AVRs. I'm very let down by the news on the Sammy BD-P1200 as not only won't it decode the newer tracks now we find out it won't send the bitstreams as the manual says it will.

Right now I say the snafu rests mostly with the players. We don't know yet if these new receivers will decode THD or MA because we can't get a feed to them.

post #209 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 06:22 AM

"6:01AM: OUT FOR DELIVERY"
I really, really hope I'm reasonably early on the route: I have to leave town for the night at 4PM, and my wife won' t be home from work until 5:30!

Rack space cleared and ready...stretching and weight-training done to get it downstairs...very, very antsy!

I'll try to post pics and/or some kind of review of first impressions over the weekend (assuming I can tear myself away from tweaking it long enough: I don't have near the discipline and spirit of kindness many of you have demonstrated)!

Come, let us kill the spirit of gravity...
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
post #210 of 23031 Old 06-08-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

By the way, I just thought of something. How long is that cable on the Audyssey microphone - and can it be extended with a patchcord? My equipment resides in an equipment room off the theater - and I need about 30' to reach the various measurment locations from the receiver?

Its long. I would say 25' - 30' feet. At least the 604's was. Check the online manual it should tell you or the onkyo spec sheet on the website.

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page