post #21001 of 23011 Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

I just picked up a 120mm low db fan and I have a coupe of questions. I have my 805 running basically open air already (no av rack/enclosure) so I probably don't even need the fan, but I got it anyway.

Should I run the fan pointing into the 805 case or out of it pushing air up? I doubt it matters open air, but I'm thinking of pointing it into the case right onto the video chipset heat source in the back right of the unit. If it were in an enclosed rack, I'm sure I'd want the fan pushing air out. Maybe it would be better to center the fan and hit the amp section?

You definitely don't need it. I have had my 805 for 3 years. Its in an open type rack (open on all sides -- but a shelf from the upper part of the rack sits about 6 inches above it. I have had it running for 6 to 8 hours at a time on many occasions, including football games and movies. Never had a problem due to heat.

I play movies at -10 to -12 from reference -- I run all of the 805s amps in my 7.1 system. Never had an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21002 of 23011 Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

You definitely don't need it. I have had my 805 for 3 years. Its in an open type rack (open on all sides -- but a shelf from the upper part of the rack sits about 6 inches above it. I have had it running for 6 to 8 hours at a time on many occasions, including football games and movies. Never had a problem due to heat.

I play movies at -10 to -12 from reference -- I run all of the 805s amps in my 7.1 system. Never had an issue.

be that as it may, it's a pretty well known fact that heat is detrimental to long life when it comes to electronic components. no one ever said a fan was an absolute necessity, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything to add a fan in the mix. as an analogy, i'm sure there are plenty of middle aged smokers out there who would say "not smoking isn't necessary. i've smoked for 20 years and i've never had any health problems." thats all well and good, but if any of those smokers die of lung cancer before reaching old age, i'd bet they're left wondering what might have been if they'd never have smoked.

in a similar situation, at work i manage a modest server room that has a $15k liebert climate control unit suspended in the ceiling above it. would my 3 year old servers be running right now without it? maybe, maybe not. in another 3 years? again, maybe, maybe not, but with a much higher chance of "maybe not" than before. either way, my organization feels that it's worth their money to do all they can in the way of ensuring the longest life possible for their equipment. many 805 owners feel the same way.

post #21003 of 23011 Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

+1. I have open rack on all sides, running it for 3 years for about the same time and levels, w/o any issues.............knock-on-wood.
post #21004 of 23011 Old 09-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Question for the 805 gurus

Can I connect a BD via HDMI and show the video via the Component output?

Thanks in advance
post #21005 of 23011 Old 09-15-2010, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

Thanks in advance

It works the other way, see page 28 of manual. Unless you have dual cables out for HDMI and Component, and then have to switch.
post #21006 of 23011 Old 09-16-2010, 05:30 AM

Might be a dumb question but wishful thinking. Will the Onkyo 805 have a firmware update to bring it to HDMI 1.4 to be able to display video and audio for 3D playback?

Cheers!!
post #21007 of 23011 Old 09-16-2010, 05:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzerocool View Post

Might be a dumb question but wishful thinking. Will the Onkyo 805 have a firmware update to bring it to HDMI 1.4 to be able to display video and audio for 3D playback?

Cheers!!

Probably not. Not sure if the HW is 1.4 compliant, but I'm sure that Onkyo would prefer if you anti-ed up the cash for a new AVR.....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #21008 of 23011 Old 09-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post

It works the other way, see page 28 of manual. Unless you have dual cables out for HDMI and Component, and then have to switch.

The flow chart on page 28 does show that all video inputs can be output thru the hdmi but it also seems to suggest to me that it can go the other way too. If you follow from hdmi in there is still an arrow that can be traced out of the component jacks as well. It wouldn't be very hard to answer the question for sure. Hook it up like you want ibre34, tell it your hdmi input, turn the hdmi output to off on the 805 and see if you get a signal. If this doesn't work than it still would be the exact same amount of cabling to do it as tanman suggests, run hdmi to your 805 and hook the component outs from your BD source right to your tv. This will surely work, assuming all outs are active at once on your source. If you have any audio sync discrepancies they can easily be remedied with the lip sync feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzerocool View Post

Cheers!!

Hdmi 1.4 is a hardware issue and cannot be changed with firmware. However, it might be possible to make it 3D compliant with a firmware update, though not likely to happen. See the post below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak View Post

True, HDMI 1.4 is not required for 3D playback. In relation to the 805, however, it's incompatibility with 3D is not because it is an HDMI v1.3a product. It's because the 805 doesn't contain the specialized EDID required for upstream recognition of the 3D handshake. That's the only reason.

As for possible firmware updating, I wouldn't hold our collective breath. As alluded to earlier, yes, I/O would love for us to upgrade. But, equally plausible, some 805 units are equipped with updated HDMI boards (for use with O/I HDMI firmware v1.03), depending upon the manufacturing date. I would surmise that it might (and I emphasize might) be possible for O/I to update those units to recognize the EDID for 3D. But to update those units would no-doubt require them to also update the older units with the new HDMI boards so as not to discriminate, something I'm sure the company would view as a headache they're unwilling to take on especially since they have plenty of current 3D-capable AVRs on the market.

In the end, if 3D is that important to an 805 owner, he/she needs to either buy a new receiver or buy a 3D-capable Blu-ray player that has dual HDMI outputs. I'd go with the latter, personally, but that's just me.

post #21009 of 23011 Old 09-18-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideofpotatos View Post

The flow chart on page 28 does show that all video inputs can be output thru the hdmi but it also seems to suggest to me that it can go the other way too. If you follow from hdmi in there is still an arrow that can be traced out of the component jacks as well.

It's interesting that you have a signal flow diagram on p. 28 that differs from mine and from the one in the down-loadable PDF user manual file. Mine only shows an arrow going from the HDMI input to the HDMI output. It also shows arrows pointing to the HDMI output from each of the other input types, Composite, S-Video and Component. There is no arrow flowing away from the HDMI input on my diagram to the Component output. Keep in mind that the signal cannot flow in the opposite direction from the way the arrows are pointing.
post #21010 of 23011 Old 09-18-2010, 09:20 AM

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread for years and find it a great source of info. Indeed, it proved to be the reason I bought my 805. I've been happy with that decision and have had zero issues until yesterday. I turned on my system and now the 805 is stating that my PS3 has NO SIGNAL via HDMI. It has always worked flawlessly in the past and I'm worried that something has gone very wrong in my 805.

Troubleshooting:

I plugged the PS3 directly into my monitor and it worked fine with the display device direct via HDMI. As far as I can tell the PS3 works fine.

I plugged my OPPO 980 DVD player into the Onkyo 805 via HDMI and same thing happened as the PS3... NO SIGNAL.

I've tried various HDMI cables, and used all three of the HDMI input sockets on the 805. None of them work.

So, I've concluded that the 805 is now not accepting signals via HDMI. I have no clue why. I've reread the manual for any stray setting that might have gotten tweaked, but nothing stands out. I'm wondering if it is something stupid obvious???? Anyone have any ideas?
post #21011 of 23011 Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
madclimber is it just one HDMI input of the three or all three that don't work. Because alot of members have had issues with a single HDMI input just failing and not working, if that's the case just reconfigure your system and not use that one HDMI input. If all three don't work, then you'll either have to get it fixed or buy a replacement reciever.
post #21012 of 23011 Old 09-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Guys,

I noticed my 805's blue ring LED on the volume knob doesn't come on anymore. Questions would be

a) Is there a setting I can check to turn this on and off
b) If it is out, is there anything I can really do about it?

Thx!
post #21013 of 23011 Old 09-18-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD View Post

Agreed. I had the same issue a couple of times after power outages - my settings all were lost.

I later learned that if I disconnect the power from the unit and plug it back in after several minutes - the unit would display an E2PROM error. It turns out that if I leave the unit unplugged for over 2 hours, the error message goes away up BUT the settings are still gone. It sounds like since yours has no power for several days - you aren't seeing the error message - you just lose the settings. There is a whole thread dedicated to the E2PROM error you should be able to dig up.

BasicBlak - have you heard of any fixes for this? (mine came with the 1.08FW and has never been updated)

Quote:

The only DIY fix per se I'm aware of is to reflash the software. In this case, what would generally cause an EEPROM error message is when the main f/w update is performed without doing a full factory reset on the unit which clears any prior user settings. However, there were also a small number of very early units which had EEPROM chips that weren't quite as robust as they should have been and would fail to retain settings after an extended unplug even when all of the update procedures were performed perfectly. Those units had to be returned to O/I for service. Of course, at the time this was discovered, the 805s were new to market and under factory warranty.

EEPROMs are very delicate electronic components and can be extremely sensitive to power outages/surges. One's surge protectors really need to be up to snuff and should be able to fend these things off, as a properly isolated, well-functioning chip in the 805 should be able to withstand such outages and retain any user settings.

In my experience (and I've followed both O/I firmware update threads pretty much since their inception), the error isn't necessarily specific to v1.08 but will occur if the unit isn't reset prior to starting the update of if the EEPROM chip is faulty.

From an old thread:
"The cause is an out of spec or defective eeprom chip."
scroll http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archi...3565-p-19.html

"Replace the 64 kbit EEPROM IC (8pin) on the microprocessor board"
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post14986981

Q7391
IS25C64A-2GLI
Part # 22242385R2

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...640A-I%2FSN-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...AA640A-I/SN-ND

Part number 25AA640A-I/SN-ND < $5 shipped

The arrow in the photo points to the EEPROM chip location:
post #21014 of 23011 Old 09-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madclimber View Post

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread for years and find it a great source of info. Indeed, it proved to be the reason I bought my 805. I've been happy with that decision and have had zero issues until yesterday. I turned on my system and now the 805 is stating that my PS3 has NO SIGNAL via HDMI. It has always worked flawlessly in the past and I'm worried that something has gone very wrong in my 805.

Troubleshooting:

I plugged the PS3 directly into my monitor and it worked fine with the display device direct via HDMI. As far as I can tell the PS3 works fine.

I plugged my OPPO 980 DVD player into the Onkyo 805 via HDMI and same thing happened as the PS3... NO SIGNAL.

I've tried various HDMI cables, and used all three of the HDMI input sockets on the 805. None of them work.

So, I've concluded that the 805 is now not accepting signals via HDMI. I have no clue why. I've reread the manual for any stray setting that might have gotten tweaked, but nothing stands out. I'm wondering if it is something stupid obvious???? Anyone have any ideas?

mcsoul *runs* to go setup his new fan above his video chipset!

madclimber, did you have your 805 inside an av-rack with back walls and front doors? How much clearance is there above the unit?
post #21015 of 23011 Old 09-18-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger View Post

Guys,

I noticed my 805's blue ring LED on the volume knob doesn't come on anymore. Questions would be

a) Is there a setting I can check to turn this on and off
b) If it is out, is there anything I can really do about it?

Thx!

I always turn off the volume knob light on all the Onkyos I have owned (personal perference). You might have hit the Dimmer button on the remote by accident.

The below is from pge 68 or the 805 manual:

Press the remote controller’s
[DIMMER] button repeatedly to
select:
• Normal + VOLUME light on.
• Normal + VOLUME light off.
• Dim + VOLUME light off.
• Dimmer + VOLUME light off.
You can also use the AV receiver’s
[DIMMER] button (not European models).

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #21016 of 23011 Old 09-19-2010, 05:13 PM

All three of the HDMI inputs don't work. I just verified this again this evening.

I have always had my 805 in an open rack system of some type. But in my last apartment the clearance on top wasn't very much; maybe an inch of space between 805 and the glass shelf above. The front/side/back were open so I didn't worry too much about it. But, I guess I should have been more paranoid.

Ironically, I just bought a new AV rack that would specifically accommodate the size of the 805 and set it up just last week. Maybe the HDMI board is fried because of heat. Incidentally, the HDMI OUT does work because I can bring up the onscreen menu system.

This stinks. I'm in denial!
post #21017 of 23011 Old 09-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Not necessarily the heat. Things do get wrong some times
post #21018 of 23011 Old 09-19-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by madclimber View Post

All three of the HDMI inputs don't work. I just verified this again this evening.

I have always had my 805 in an open rack system of some type. But in my last apartment the clearance on top wasn't very much; maybe an inch of space between 805 and the glass shelf above. The front/side/back were open so I didn't worry too much about it. But, I guess I should have been more paranoid.

Ironically, I just bought a new AV rack that would specifically accommodate the size of the 805 and set it up just last week. Maybe the HDMI board is fried because of heat. Incidentally, the HDMI OUT does work because I can bring up the onscreen menu system.

This stinks. I'm in denial!

Have you try upconverting analog to HDMI (component to HDMI)?

Or try resetting the receiver back to factory default?
post #21019 of 23011 Old 09-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I always turn off the volume knob light on all the Onkyos I have owned (personal perference). You might have hit the Dimmer button on the remote by accident.

The below is from pge 68 or the 805 manual:

Press the remote controller's
[DIMMER] button repeatedly to
select:
Normal + VOLUME light on.
Normal + VOLUME light off.
Dim + VOLUME light off.
Dimmer + VOLUME light off.
You can also use the AV receiver's
[DIMMER] button (not European models).

Bill

Yep, turns out. It was user error. Fixed and resolved with the dimmer switch.

Thx!
post #21020 of 23011 Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 AM

Has anyone out there done a direct comparison of one of the top end Onkyo / Integra AVR/Propro's vs a good to top standalone stereo DAC?

How good are the Onkyo's when working as "Pure Audio" DAC/Pre's?

(I have a TX-SR876 but am posting in the related AVR threads as well)

Thanks
post #21021 of 23011 Old 09-21-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaloum View Post

Has anyone out there done a direct comparison of one of the top end Onkyo / Integra AVR/Propro's vs a good to top standalone stereo DAC?

How good are the Onkyo's when working as "Pure Audio" DAC/Pre's?

(I have a TX-SR876 but am posting in the related AVR threads as well)

Thanks

I can't answer your question but I thought this may add to your search:

List of AV Receivers & Pre/Pros with Pure DSD to Analog Processing
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1230824

Onkyo TX-SR805 (Integra DTR-7.8)
DSD-CAPABLE DAC: Burr-Brown PCM1796
post #21022 of 23011 Old 09-21-2010, 04:59 PM

All this talk about heat makes me laugh. I have an 805 and a 605. My kitty loves laying on the 605 which runs every bit as hot as the 805. I got a deal on the 605 and don't get too stressed out when little Mo turns my avr into his personal hot rock. It's over 3yrs old and it is running strong. I'm thinking kitty rather than blocking the heat from escaping actually acts as a heatsink drawing out the heat prolonging the life of the 605. I know when I pick him up from the receiver he is very hot, so who knows? I don't know why I felt the need to share, but there it is.
post #21023 of 23011 Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM

Jchin,

I just tried the Factory Reset with no effect on the HDMI inputs.

If I can track down an analog video cable, I'll try the upscaling via HDMI and see if that even works... Thanks for the suggestions.
post #21024 of 23011 Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 PM

Hey now!

I've had the 805 for probably less than 2 years now and the right front channel has went out. No sound comes out at all now, only an occasion "flash" of static. I've tried different speakers and wire and have came to the conclusion that it has to be the receiver.
Anyone have a similar issue and any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks

JT
post #21025 of 23011 Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddycat View Post

All this talk about heat makes me laugh. I have an 805 and a 605. My kitty loves laying on the 605 which runs every bit as hot as the 805. I got a deal on the 605 and don't get too stressed out when little Mo turns my avr into his personal hot rock. It's over 3yrs old and it is running strong. I'm thinking kitty rather than blocking the heat from escaping actually acts as a heatsink drawing out the heat prolonging the life of the 605. I know when I pick him up from the receiver he is very hot, so who knows? I don't know why I felt the need to share, but there it is.

I am on the prowl (cat pun intended) for a 605 for my second room as well
post #21026 of 23011 Old 09-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have a question some of you onkyo purists probably know the answer to. My 805 sends the signals out my onkyo tx-8555's (2x100w stereo receiver) which I have in pure audio mode as amps. They run 2 speakers each, my question is if there is a difference in how the amp runs whether I connect the 2 speakers as left and right of say the "speakers A" or if I connected one speaker to the A and one to the B of the 8555's?

Right now I have them hooked both the the "A" but there have been several times that I would liked to have had the option to just toggle the speaker "A/B" button to turn one of them off for testing but don't know what, if any, effect this might have on performance.
post #21027 of 23011 Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideofpotatos View Post

I have a question some of you onkyo purists probably know the answer to. My 805 sends the signals out my onkyo tx-8555's (2x100w stereo receiver) which I have in pure audio mode as amps. They run 2 speakers each, my question is if there is a difference in how the amp runs whether I connect the 2 speakers as left and right of say the "speakers A" or if I connected one speaker to the A and one to the B of the 8555's?

Right now I have them hooked both the the "A" but there have been several times that I would liked to have had the option to just toggle the speaker "A/B" button to turn one of them off for testing but don't know what, if any, effect this might have on performance.

In my experience i would say what are doing with say right A and Left B should work fine, all the selector does it A, B, or A+B in parallel; which should have no effect on performance at all. Of course a stereo signal only reproducing Left or Right sounds like doodoo.
post #21028 of 23011 Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwolf View Post

I think my 805 has a Jan/2008 build date, but it might be Nov/Dec 2007. Purchase was Feb 2008 and I recall it being pretty fresh off the line. Shipped with FW 1.06. The Onkyo mics were switched to the same shape as those used by Marantz/Denon, maybe others. Could have been simply an economy of scale thing, although I imagine the mini-tower shape has a little less effect on the wavefront than the hockey puck's do. Did anyone actually say the mic capsule itself is different? One of these days, if I ever get through my higher priority projects, I'll run some tests on the 805 and 507 mics I have and see how their raw numbers shake out.

-Brent

Quote:

I think the CTO was not saying there was anything wrong with the older Onkyo Mics, just that there was no way to ensure that the speaker levels would all be set after Audyssey so it was 75 dbs at the main position when running the test tones. The only thing that could be ensured was that the levels, whatever it would be, would be even amongst all of the speakers.

Of course, knowing exactly what is reference isn't necessary, but I do like to know that on my system 0 is reference and the fact that Onkyo intends for 0 to be the reference level when adjusting the speakers to 75 dbs with the test tones is set forth in the manual. However, I usually listen to most blu-rays at -12 to - 10 dbs.

Quote:

As has been indicated, forced 7.1 playback of 5.1 material is very much program-dependent. That said, when using dipole speakers in the surround hemisphere (especially the rear surround), you will not realize a properly immersive surround experience unless the dipoles are calibrated not only to be level-matched relative to each other from the primary seating position, but level-matched to the other direct radiating speakers in the setup (i.e., the front L/C/R). This is due to the out-of-phase characteristics of dipoles in general and the non-localized "fuzziness" they exhibit. What this means is, after calibrating to 75dB/C-weighting all around, you will need to bump up the side and back surrounds so that they have the same perceived "loudness" as the direct radiating front speakers. In other words, whereas the front speakers would be calibrated to 75dB, each of the surround dipoles should be at around 76-77dB, depending upon speaker sensitivity, placement, etc. Once you do that, the entire sound field will be a lot more cohesive.

I just recently upgraded from an all-dipole surround setup (Carver Cinema Series), so I know all too well what you're referring to. Again, programming selection notwithstanding, you should get far more immersive (and realistic) surround playback if you adjust them accordingly. (I now use Polk Audio RTi-series surround speakers--FXi3 for the sides, RTi4 for the rears--and though I now listen to the FXi3's exclusively in bipolar mode, I also had to similarly adjust them while experimenting in dipolar mode.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

I'm going to try this, I improved things a lot with settings (see below). I'm going to start small, with a 1db across the board increase to the 4 surrounds over what Audyssey set.

Quote:

Just make sure you use instrumentation (e.g. SPL meter) to measure the increase and not just manually turn the dial up one or more decibels on each of the surround channels. And just to clarify (as there continues to be a misconception about this), Audyssey does not set volume levels or speaker configurations; that is 100% the function of the 805 setup controls. Audyssey only takes measurements via its proprietary EQ and apply them accordingly. Both it and the Onkyo internal setup menu are independent of the other yet work in parallel to achieve the desired end result. This is why it's important to go back and manually calibrate speaker levels with an SPL meter, and change your crossover points and/or speaker distances (if necessary) after the Audyssey measurements are saved and completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptrout View Post

I may be misunderstanding exactly what you are saying, but although Audyssey does not set speaker/channel volume, it does set the channel trim levels so that all channels are 75dB SPL at the first measuring point. If I remember correctly, Chris (Mr. Audyssey over on the Audyssey thread) said that the rated spec for their level settings is +/-2dB (when using their supplied microphone), which is why he was not a big SPL meter fan. +/-2dB is close enough for most folks and is almost always much more accurate than trying to use a SPL meter for the LFE channel (a person may do a little better on the main channels).

As you mentioned, the big problem (at least with older AVRs; has this problem been corrected yet on new models?) is that most AVRs, including the 805, can incorrectly set the crossover frequencies based on Audyssey's report to the AVR's processor. The 805 will set any speaker to "large" if a channel's -3dB frequency response is 80Hz or lower. This should always be changed to something other than large depending on the actual speaker. Knowing where to set the crossover can be a crapshoot if you go below 80Hz because Audyssey stops its EQ'ing at the -3dB point so you will be risking dropping below the EQ'ed frequencies if you set the crossover to low.

Quote:

You're right, sptrout, I should have clarified that point... Audyssey will indeed set the trim level. However, I have found in my own setup (as well as from reading commentary from several others over the years) that the deficiency is waaaay more than +/-2db in the main channels. I have to adjust the trims as much as 5dB on some channels. The sound field simply is not balanced unless I perform the manual adjustment; playback tends to be quite lackluster--low in overall relative volume and with some channels slightly louder/softer than others . (My sub/LFE, however, does measure within that margin of error...almost spot-on, in fact.) Additionally, Chris does make clear that the trim results have no effect whatsoever on the room correction filters. That's what I was basically trying to convey when stating that the Audyssey EQ is independent of the AVRs setup measurements.

Having said that, I recently recall reading that the mic that came with some of the early 805s (I bought mine a few months after launch) might not be to spec and that the replacement ones currently available at ShopOnkyo are. So I'm going to order a new one, and perhaps my Audyssey-derived trim level results will improve.

Just wanted to follow-up on the recent mcsoul/sptrout portion of the above-referenced discussion in relation to the Audyssey setup microphone that accompanies the 805.

As I mentioned, never in the time I've owned my 805 (bought brand new from Circuit City, Fall 2007) have I run the Automated Setup without having to use my RatShack SPL meter to calibrate each channel to 75dB at the primary listening spot afterward. Playback levels were otherwise entirely too low and uneven from channel to channel, though the sonic results of Audyssey's correction filters were always readily apparent. Earlier this week I ordered a new mic from Onkyo and received it today. After re-running Automated Setup tonight (this time with the new mic), I have to say the results were pretty astounding.

For starters, I was a bit surprised that it actually took effort on my part to refrain from impulsively reaching for my SPL post-Setup, which had become de rigueur in my viewing room. But after manually adjusting the crossovers to their proper settings, I forged onward and began taking a few well-regarded BD titles with 6-/7.1 discrete audio (Bolt, The Orphanage, 3:10 to Yuma, The Golden Compass, Pinocchio) for a spin. I'll get right to it: I'm not one who gets "wowed" very easily, but the calibration results with the new mic were absolutely jaw-dropping! There was a cohesion and uniformity in my room unlike anything I've heard since my 805 has been in service. Detail and other aural subtleties feel truly alive now; bass response is palpable while seemingly a touch less localizable. Lastly, there was absolutely no need for me to touch the trim levels at all. In fact, each channel measured roughly 75dB from the sweet spot! (SBL actually measured about 76dB and SBR approx 74dB, yet I felt absolutely no need to manually correct for the variance as it is completely undetectable to my ears when playing either the test tones or actual source material.) As good soncially as I feel my system has been overall, tonight has undoubtedly been a revelation.

So what this tells me is that from the outset there clearly has been a problem of some sort with my original mic. Exactly what that "problem" per se entails is unknown to me. But what I can say with certainty is that it has been cared for to the point of pampering, stored away in its original wrap, and has never been abused in any way. That said, the results of this Automated Setup run could very well be due to (a) some sort of improvement in either the mic's internal design/manufacturing (I've uncovered no documented evidence of this whatsoever), (b) wear and tear (unlikely as, again, it has been treated with kid gloves), or (c) a defective mic from the start (very likely).

In any case, those with early production-run 805s who also find that they absolutely must manually calibrate one's trim levels post-Automated Setup in order to achieve 75 dB reference at the sweet spot might want to consider purchasing a new mic (they're pretty cheap, all things considered). And although Chris Kyriakakis of Audyssey indicates that trim levels can indeed be set manually without affecting the room correction filters, he also mentions that doing so does affect the soundstaging and overall sub/sat blending. (After tonight's results, I can now see exactly what he's talking about.) So it's probably a good idea to make sure one's mic is up to the task. Big thanks to sptrout for his follow-up post which gave me the idea to chance a new mic into the equation.

Amazing that after all this time I can still find pleasant and unexpected surprises from the 805. Early design quirks notwithstanding, I say with great enthusiasm, "What an incredible piece of engineering!" (Especially for the price.)

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

post #21029 of 23011 Old 09-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks BasicBlak for your update. My 805 was very likely one of the last ones off the assembly line since I bought it during the final weeks of the big clearance sales several months ago (another indication was that the firmware was up to date). It is interesting that Onkyo changed the microphone "mid-product life" without letting anyone know that the old microphone was likely causing the issues that you discovered. Mid-product life product changes are not unusual, but they should have at least notified registered owners of 805s about the issue and replaced the defective microphones. I wonder if the same issue applies to the other XX5 Series of products?
post #21030 of 23011 Old 09-25-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there any way of knowing if you have the old mic? Also how much does it cost to order a new one?

*OK I read the post that says they changed to a tower mic, I have the disc shaped one. Has anybody found out the key differences in performance?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page