I've been having some serious issues with my 805, and I'm hoping you guys may have some ideas.
I moved recently to a new place, so obviously I unhooked the receiver and brought it with me. I have the original box, so I'd like to think it traveled safe.
When I got to my new place, I hooked everything up exactly the way it was at the previous place. I run everything through the receiver, so Monitor Out to the TV and then cable box in HDMI1, Oppo in HDMI2, ans PS3 in HDMI3.
I've never had any issues with this receiver since I bought it in Sept. 2007. As soon as I got to my new place, I was eager to enjoy.
The first problem I encountered was with the cable box. I have had Comcast and DirecTV before and never had audio issues. I now have Time Warner. The first box gave me no picture or audio through HDMI, but worked fine directly through the TV. I did some research and it seems Scientific Atlanta boxes have HDMI handshake issues with many receivers. I called Time Warner and they brought me a Samsung box instead. I hooked it up through the receiver, and bam....picture and audio. Problem solved.
However, I began to have serious audio issues. After turning on the receiver, the sound works fine for 1-2 minutes....and then the audio goes out and I get a very low volume feedback noise. However, when I hook the box directly to the TV, no issues at all.
I then began to have similar issues with the other 2 inputs. I would switch to the blu-ray player input, and I would get no sound at all. No issues with the video. I experienced a similar issue with the PS3. Occasionally the audio works fine and I get excited. Then as soon as I turn the receiver off and back on, same issue.
So to troubleshoot, here is all the steps I have done:
1) changed HDMI cables for each input, regardless which cable in any HDMI input I get the same audio issues
2) tried different inputs for the components, I tried the cable box in all 3 HDMI inputs and got the same problem in all 3
3) checked all of the speaker wire (I use banana plugs)...I pulled each speaker out one at a time and that never brought the audio back
4) factory reset for the receiver....I followed the procedures in the manual and restored the receiver to factory settings
5) unhooked and reconnected each HDMI and speaker connection...no change
So basically I'm at a loss. I assume there must be something internal, but I just thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts before I take it in for service. One thing I haven't tried is going component/optical. That may tell me if it has to do with the HDMI board. I left my "old school" cables in storage and I hate to go buy those just to test it out.
It likely would be cheaper to just get a new unit, but I would prefer to get some more life out of this one. Thanks in advance.