13Likes

post #22141 of 22984 Old 10-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulator1 View Post

It was wierd! When I first got the unit, I couldn't get the zone 2 speakers to work, and when I pushed slightly on the sheet metal enclosure I heard alot of relay clicking inside. So I disconnected teh zone 2 and listened to just teh fronts. Eventually I hooked in my CD/DVD digital toslink direct, and the sound was AMAZING! Superb! After an hour or two of listening, the speakers cut out. I looked at the back of teh unit to see if any wires were crossed, and touched the cover near the USB type connector and heard a loud pop and saw smoke coming out of the center of the unit. I unplugged it, and let it cool. Of course after this, when I turn it on, the display comes on, red leds come on for a second or so, a relay clicks and the unit shuts off. I'd really like to fix it, but have no idea how to, so I'll likely send it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkay View Post

Something is grounding that shouldn't be. You've already fried something at this point.

Yep, that what i think also. Since it comes from the centre of the unit, my guess is that one of the power transistors went.

On my TX-SR theere is a relay 'clicking on' after a second or two, when output to speakers is working correctly. In your case those relays might have been the ones 'clicking' on/off rapidly, signalling output is (or was) the problem to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

You have to be careful during shipping cause I have known UPS to not handle an item like the 805 very well. A friend of mine had his 805 sent for repairs and when he got it back it was damaged. After talking to the repair people they narrowed it down to UPS and sure enough it was their fault. You have to be mindful of how it is packaged cause if it isn't packaged up properly it will get damaged.

On that note how much did you happen to get that 805 on ebay for? I have one that I have but may end up selling it since I have an SC-35 waiting to be used.

This might be provable too.

In early models there were complaints the headphone signal in the display stayed on all the time, causing problems in output. Onkyo released a service bulletin that addressed this problem. It mentioned 'abuse' or 'rough handling' of the unit, causing a small part of a print-board cracking. This crack disrupted the headphone circuitry.

I still have this service bulletin in my TX-SR805/875 documentation collection for reference (when this problem comes up here on this board for instance ;-) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22142 of 22984 Old 10-12-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:

You have to be careful during shipping cause I have known UPS to not handle an item like the 805 very well. A friend of mine had his 805 sent for repairs and when he got it back it was damaged. After talking to the repair people they narrowed it down to UPS and sure enough it was their fault. You have to be mindful of how it is packaged cause if it isn't packaged up properly it will get damaged.

On that note how much did you happen to get that 805 on ebay for? I have one that I have but may end up selling it since I have an SC-35 waiting to be used.

I paid $288 for it plus $35 shipping. Would you sell yours for that?
post #22143 of 22984 Old 10-13-2011, 03:15 AM

Alright, I need some help on this forum. My 805 hdmi board just died on me and I've read a little about that on this forum. I have also read that there is a way to repair the board. Since this forum is huge could someone give me the link to where the hdmi board repair guide is (generally what capacitors whould need to be replaced and photos if that exists)? I did a search but couldn't find anything. I watched a video on someone repairing a tx-sr606 hdmi board and it seems similar and I want to take a crack at it before looking elsewhere. Or does anyone know where to get their hands on a 805 hdmi board because I can't find one anywhere. Has anyone actually bought an hdmi board for the 805 from onkyo (price?)? Can you also just send onlyo the hdmi board to be fixed (shipping the unit is not worth it)? Anyway I'm looking for the 805 hdmi board repair guide, similar to the display fix guide I saw on here. Please help, thanks.
post #22144 of 22984 Old 10-13-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

I agree, I posted that my shipping box was 3" larger then the unit and I cut 1" foam to fit all 4 sides and made them 3 layers thicK. I used that double thick box several times shipping my 805 to the factory, repairs and firmware updates and finally to the member I sold it too for parts. I used a roll of 3" wide 3M packing tape wrapped around all 4 sides. It was Never damaged by UPS. I have done the same with my vintage R2R sending it from Texas to Calf and back for restoration. no damages. Insured (photos taken while packing the 805) tracking and Red Fragile stickers on all sides.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100
post #22145 of 22984 Old 10-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulator1 View Post

I paid $288 for it plus $35 shipping. Would you sell yours for that?

Possibly though I have another member on the forum who contacted me about selling it as well. Still need to finish up the wiring and re-arranging my media room for the sc35 before trying to sell the 805.
post #22146 of 22984 Old 10-13-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickeleye7 View Post

Alright, I need some help on this forum. My 805 hdmi board just died on me and I've read a little about that on this forum. I have also read that there is a way to repair the board. Since this forum is huge could someone give me the link to where the hdmi board repair guide is (generally what capacitors whould need to be replaced and photos if that exists)? I did a search but couldn't find anything. I watched a video on someone repairing a tx-sr606 hdmi board and it seems similar and I want to take a crack at it before looking elsewhere. Or does anyone know where to get their hands on a 805 hdmi board because I can't find one anywhere. Has anyone actually bought an hdmi board for the 805 from onkyo (price?)? Can you also just send onlyo the hdmi board to be fixed (shipping the unit is not worth it)? Anyway I'm looking for the 805 hdmi board repair guide, similar to the display fix guide I saw on here. Please help, thanks.

Have a look here.
post #22147 of 22984 Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I am planning to buy Martin Logan tower speakers rated 92dB sensitivity and 4 ohm nominal impedance and use them in combination with Mirage OM-C2 center and 4 OM-R2s for surround. Mirage OM are rated 8 ohm and sensitivity of 91 db. Would the Onkyo TX-NR508 be able to drive this speakers in a 7.1 HT application ? Should I set the Onkyo speaker impedance setting to 4 ohm or 6 ohm ? I have a couple of fans sitting on the top of 805 and it runs cool @ 6 ohm setting even it is used 4 hours or more. I am still not sure if the 4 ohm setting would cause the Onkyo 805 to run hot and shut off.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #22148 of 22984 Old 10-14-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Top right, above the HDMI slots (where there are vents in the unit). I only have one and it does a great job of keeping the unit cool (or cooler at least). I've only ever needed one and I've not had any issues with mine.

Just remember that the unit needs plenty of breathing room too.

Seggers

One more quick question: if I had two of these fans, could the same/one transformer power them both? I notice they use Molex connectors (just like a PC) which have the ability to be ganged. BUT, don't want to order another if not, because I don't want two of those behemoth wall-warts laying behind my receiver!

Thanks!
post #22149 of 22984 Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidejim View Post

One more quick question: if I had two of these fans, could the same/one transformer power them both? I notice they use Molex connectors (just like a PC) which have the ability to be ganged. BUT, don't want to order another if not, because I don't want two of those behemoth wall-warts laying behind my receiver!

Thanks!

Not sure if where I'd place a second one if I had it. Maybe the other way round along left side at the same level?

You can get spilters that allow you to plug 2 power cords into one outlet. Not sure if the supplied power units would cope with 2.

For me, one was enough.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #22150 of 22984 Old 10-14-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Not sure if where I'd place a second one if I had it. Maybe the other way round along left side at the same level?

You can get spilters that allow you to plug 2 power cords into one outlet. Not sure if the supplied power units would cope with 2.

For me, one was enough.

Seggers

Understand. I have my one placed as you suggested, over the area near the HDMI ports. That makes it to the right rear, just to the right of the the center of the 805, as opposed to the far right side, positioned over the slots in the top of the case. And, the length of the fan unit runs parallel to the back of the 805. The only thing, as I said before, it seems awfully small--some 5" by 3". But, the case of the 805 DOES seem to be cooler to the touch. So, maybe the one fan unit (with the two little exhaust-type fans) is doing the job.

Incidentally, I MUST have a splitter/multi-tap on my switched AC outlet, as I run a 110 v. line to my JansZen Electrostatic tweeters. They have a power supply, and I prefer to have them switched, rather than powered all the time.
post #22151 of 22984 Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM

My 805 recently stopped working with the Cox cable box. It had been working for a long time (2 years), but last night I changed channels a bunch of times, and 'poof', no picture or audio. If I hit the 'guide' button on the cable box, the cable guide appears on the screen, but no picture or audio feed.

The other HDMI inputs work fine (Blu-Ray and PS-3). And the problem stayed with the Cable Box when I tried moving the cable box to another HDMI input.

Oddly, the Cable Box shows the signal on the channel I select as "1080i" when I am watching a DIFFERENT HDMI input (such as the Blu-Ray player). But when I select the HDMI input the Cable Box is connected to it changes to "480i", and there is no picture.

Is there a setting I could have accidentally changed on the Onkyo?

Thanks for any ideas,

-jhilllard-
post #22152 of 22984 Old 10-17-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
That really sounds like a problem with the cable box. If the other HDMI inputs work with other sources, but not with the cable box, it seems pretty clear.

The resolution display on your cable box when not on that source might have something to do with handshaking/presence/absence of feedback from the Onkyo when the cable input is not active on the receiver.
post #22153 of 22984 Old 10-17-2011, 03:19 PM

yeah, I was thinking it was probably an issue with the cable box, I wanted to bounce it off other folks to see if I was missing something. I was also hoping/checking that there might be a solution here before I waste a few hours of my life dealing with Cox cable's tech support. ugh.
post #22154 of 22984 Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhillard View Post

yeah, I was thinking it was probably an issue with the cable box, I wanted to bounce it off other folks to see if I was missing something. I was also hoping/checking that there might be a solution here before I waste a few hours of my life dealing with Cox cable's tech support. ugh.

When we had Charter Cable they had a office several miles from our house. I just un-plugged my HD box and exchanged them as they got really warm sometimes from being on all day.(RETIRED) We have Verizon FIOS (Fiber Optic) wow a Much better HD picture and so far their convertor box seems more relieable. They(Charter) always wanted to re-set the signal etc. un-plug the power to it and wait a few minutes and plug back in and wait for the clock to show correct time before you try to turn it on and reset .
I too Hated to call Customer Service and deal with a computer to finally get a real person on the phone.If you write down the box serial # you can re-set on the phone automated computer, if that fails . you know the drill... un plug the box and wait a few minutes and plug the 110 volts back and wait for the clock to show the correct time and turn it back on and see if this re-set it. I had to echange a HD box several times a year as they got really warm. I don't stack on it either. ummm like a 805 setting by itself and running warm.

post #22155 of 22984 Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 PM

I've been having some serious issues with my 805, and I'm hoping you guys may have some ideas.

I moved recently to a new place, so obviously I unhooked the receiver and brought it with me. I have the original box, so I'd like to think it traveled safe.

When I got to my new place, I hooked everything up exactly the way it was at the previous place. I run everything through the receiver, so Monitor Out to the TV and then cable box in HDMI1, Oppo in HDMI2, ans PS3 in HDMI3.

I've never had any issues with this receiver since I bought it in Sept. 2007. As soon as I got to my new place, I was eager to enjoy.

The first problem I encountered was with the cable box. I have had Comcast and DirecTV before and never had audio issues. I now have Time Warner. The first box gave me no picture or audio through HDMI, but worked fine directly through the TV. I did some research and it seems Scientific Atlanta boxes have HDMI handshake issues with many receivers. I called Time Warner and they brought me a Samsung box instead. I hooked it up through the receiver, and bam....picture and audio. Problem solved.

However, I began to have serious audio issues. After turning on the receiver, the sound works fine for 1-2 minutes....and then the audio goes out and I get a very low volume feedback noise. However, when I hook the box directly to the TV, no issues at all.

I then began to have similar issues with the other 2 inputs. I would switch to the blu-ray player input, and I would get no sound at all. No issues with the video. I experienced a similar issue with the PS3. Occasionally the audio works fine and I get excited. Then as soon as I turn the receiver off and back on, same issue.

So to troubleshoot, here is all the steps I have done:

1) changed HDMI cables for each input, regardless which cable in any HDMI input I get the same audio issues
2) tried different inputs for the components, I tried the cable box in all 3 HDMI inputs and got the same problem in all 3
3) checked all of the speaker wire (I use banana plugs)...I pulled each speaker out one at a time and that never brought the audio back
4) factory reset for the receiver....I followed the procedures in the manual and restored the receiver to factory settings
5) unhooked and reconnected each HDMI and speaker connection...no change

So basically I'm at a loss. I assume there must be something internal, but I just thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts before I take it in for service. One thing I haven't tried is going component/optical. That may tell me if it has to do with the HDMI board. I left my "old school" cables in storage and I hate to go buy those just to test it out.

It likely would be cheaper to just get a new unit, but I would prefer to get some more life out of this one. Thanks in advance.
post #22156 of 22984 Old 10-20-2011, 04:06 PM

sounds just like a friends complaints. no sound than no video. turned out to be the hdmi board.

I LIKE IT LOUD!!!

post #22157 of 22984 Old 11-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My 805 reset itself last night. This is the second time it's done this. the first time was about 6 months ago. I had my settings locked, but it lost them anyway. There weren't any power surges that I know of.

Any thoughts??
post #22158 of 22984 Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by far182 View Post

After a couple happy years with my tx-805, I now have a nasty video flicker on all channels when it gets too hot. If I put fan right in front of the receiver the flicker will go away in about 5-10 mins. Not happy I am going to have to replace this thing already.

Well it looks like lots of people are having the HDMI issue like I was reporting, due to heat. I can say that my problem has not gotten worse over HDMI. Since I discovered this problem I just turn on a fan when I go to use my Blueray player. It keeps the flickering away. If I forget to turn on the fan it starts flickering in about 2 minutes.

I do have a new problem though. My component inputs are screwy now. The problem is strange and it reminds me of really old TV's. The screen is, how do I explain this, the edge of the picture is in the middle of the screen. The left side is on the right and the right side is on the left. Its like someone took the picture and just slid it to the left, and the left side is coming back onto the right side.

Anyway. I am thinking I might need to get a new receiver soon as a proactive approach. I think this time I want something that runs a bit cooler and maybe uses a bit less electricity? Without sacrificing too much. Thoughts? I so hate replacing my receiver, mostly because of the re-cabling and reprogramming of my remote.
post #22159 of 22984 Old 11-01-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by far182 View Post

Well it looks like lots of people are having the HDMI issue like I was reporting, due to heat. I can say that my problem has not gotten worse over HDMI. Since I discovered this problem I just turn on a fan when I go to use my Blueray player. It keeps the flickering away. If I forget to turn on the fan it starts flickering in about 2 minutes.

I do have a new problem though. My component inputs are screwy now. The problem is strange and it reminds me of really old TV's. The screen is, how do I explain this, the edge of the picture is in the middle of the screen. The left side is on the right and the right side is on the left. Its like someone took the picture and just slid it to the left, and the left side is coming back onto the right side.

Anyway. I am thinking I might need to get a new receiver soon as a proactive approach. I think this time I want something that runs a bit cooler and maybe uses a bit less electricity? Without sacrificing too much. Thoughts? I so hate replacing my receiver, mostly because of the re-cabling and reprogramming of my remote.

You will get a lot different posts on this.... I went back to a Yamaha for a HD AVR after my 805 fried different parts 3 times in 2 1/2 years. I have a 2003 Yamaha RX-V2400 7.1 AVR that has 130X7 but it was before HD or HDMI.as it still plays fine. I have it in the bedroom for the TV and TT and R2R. I purchased a Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1 130X7... I know none of them really play 130X7. The newer Yamaha Advantage 2000 series is the same rating. Look around for a new RX-A2000 (new in 2010) or the new series A models. My RX-V1900 HD is a 2009 that was purchased new in 2010 with 2 year factory and extra 2 year Best Buy service policy. So far it has been a plug and play with a fan in the rear ON it. If it fries they call the factory.. if it can't be fixed I have a store credit for I paid.... I fought with Onkyo Customer Service.. and paid freight several times. never again will buy a AVR online to save a dollar.

post #22160 of 22984 Old 11-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder View Post

My 805 reset itself last night. This is the second time it's done this. the first time was about 6 months ago. I had my settings locked, but it lost them anyway. There weren't any power surges that I know of.

Any thoughts??

Bump...
post #22161 of 22984 Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Hello everyone. The other week I bought a 805 and everything has been working fine accept for two things that happened on the same day. I was watching the lsu vs bama game and I have a HD cable box going into my 805 via HDMI. Well of of the blue the picture went blank and just showed black and green bars. I then turned off the. 805 and turned it back on and that fixed the problem. Then about 30 min later the picture was cut in 2 with green bar down the center. And I turning off and on the 805 agen fixed the problem.. Now jump to later that night me and my wife were trying to watch brides maids on blue ray ps3. And after all the previews right be4 the main menus would come up the screen would go totally dark. The audio would still play. And this time I would have to turn on my 805 off and on agen. Now this is the only blue ray movie this does it with and the only time while watching TV its ever done this. Could this be HDMI board failure. Or something else. Thanks for the read everyone

This being, that becomes;
On the arising of this, that arises.
This not being, that does not become;
On the cessation of this, that ceases.
post #22162 of 22984 Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder View Post

Any thoughts??

Responding to the bump.

It's possible the volatile memory backup (usually just a slow release capacitor, PC's actually used to use watch batteries) has reached end-of-life earlier than expected. Like anything man made, some parts have to be on the low side of the MTBF rating. Anyway, if the memory backup has failed, even a brief power outage would cause the 805 to "reset" by simply losing all stored settings. My last preamp did this, but it took 7-8 years for its memory backup to fail. Sherwood-Newcastle offered to replace mine for $25 + shipping, but given the age, I didn't take them up on it. If you can identify the part, cost is likely less than $10.

-Brent
post #22163 of 22984 Old 11-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwolf View Post

Responding to the bump.

It's possible the volatile memory backup (usually just a slow release capacitor, PC's actually used to use watch batteries) has reached end-of-life earlier than expected. Like anything man made, some parts have to be on the low side of the MTBF rating. Anyway, if the memory backup has failed, even a brief power outage would cause the 805 to "reset" by simply losing all stored settings. My last preamp did this, but it took 7-8 years for its memory backup to fail. Sherwood-Newcastle offered to replace mine for $25 + shipping, but given the age, I didn't take them up on it. If you can identify the part, cost is likely less than $10.

-Brent

Thanks for the reply... I'll do a little more research about that and see if could be a DIY fix.
post #22164 of 22984 Old 11-13-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
For those of you that have shipped an 805 how much did UPS charge? I just upgraded and need to get rid of mine. I still have the original box that was used to ship the unit to me back when I bought it. Just afraid that it will cost a fortune since the thing is so heavy.

post #22165 of 22984 Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

For those of you that have shipped an 805 how much did UPS charge? I just upgraded and need to get rid of mine. I still have the original box that was used to ship the unit to me back when I bought it. Just afraid that it will cost a fortune since the thing is so heavy.

Hi bryansi,

Saw your above post and was wondering what you want for your 805. I live in Chattanooga (approx. 110 miles from Atlanta) and shipping would only be about $38-$40 (UPS) including insurance. I know because I had to ship mine to Norman Electronics in Atlanta for repair. Please PM me with your reply.

golffnutt

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #22166 of 22984 Old 11-13-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

Hi bryansi,

Saw your above post and was wondering what you want for your 805. I live in Chattanooga (approx. 110 miles from Atlanta) and shipping would only be about $38-$40 (UPS) including insurance. I know because I had to ship mine to Norman Electronics in Atlanta for repair. Please PM me with your reply.

golffnutt

Wow... great price..... Don't use a Mom & Pop Mail To Go Store.... my 805 was double boxed so it was "Over sized" and had 2" of foam on all sides of the box.. $70.00 with ins and tracking#.

post #22167 of 22984 Old 11-13-2011, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

Wow... great price..... Don't use a Mom & Pop Mail To Go Store.... my 805 was double boxed so it was "Over sized" and had 2" of foam on all sides of the box.. $70.00 with ins and tracking#.

It only had to travel a 100 miles, how far did yours travel? Distance make a HUGE difference!!!!!!

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #22168 of 22984 Old 11-18-2011, 03:54 PM

So I guess that after reading for hours on this and CZ's thread, my 805 will quit the video/sound-on/off thing if I put a fan on the back or if that does not work, replace the caps on the HDMI card???..am I missing something here???or is that about right??
post #22169 of 22984 Old 11-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Be mindful many folks post when they have issues. My 805 has ran for 3-5 hours a day minimum for the last four years. Not a single issue.
post #22170 of 22984 Old 11-18-2011, 04:45 PM

I have 3 fans on my 805. Two fans letting air in. And one letting air out. Thhere placed by the back where it seems to get the. Hottest. It. It does seem to keep it cooler.

This being, that becomes;
On the arising of this, that arises.
This not being, that does not become;
On the cessation of this, that ceases.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page