AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by djphooka View Post

Hey all.
I was given one of these receivers but it doesn't stay on.
I took the case off and looked around a bit. All the fuses seem to be in tact.
There are 4 fuses on the left side board that are white though, is that normal?
When I take off the red and yellow ribbon off the same board the receiver stays powered on.
Any ideas on how to trouble shoot the problem?

I am no repair expert, but very hard to say based on the info provided.
First, more pictures would help, with a better angle to exactly where that connection is plugged in at, and where it is located in reference to the front/back of the avr.
When the cable is connected, how long does the unit stay on before it shuts off?
Which functions of the unit operate or do not operate when the cable is disconnected?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22862 of 23008 Old 04-11-2014, 05:11 AM
bub
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 805, been using it for 10 years or so, driving a Polk Audio 7.1 speaker setup. I've never had any problems with the receiver at all, it does lack most modern refinements like HDMI switching that I would like but not about to give up on the 805's handling of pure audio, but recently while watching a movie with a DTS audio stream, I heard a couple of faint pops then a very loud static noise. Is this the dreaded DTS bomb? If so, why after all these years without issue? It has now happened twice. The first time, I was taken by surprise and it took me maybe 10 seconds to cut the feed. I didn't have the volume anywhere near full volume, I would guess 20%, but the static noise was very loud, I was afraid I hurt my speakers. Is there any way to check?

If it is the DTS bomb, is there anything I can do myself without having to send it somewhere?

Does anybody have any advice?

Thanks,
George
post #22863 of 23008 Old 04-11-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You should check the Onkyo web site to see if the fix for this is still available. There was a download you could apply yourself that would fix the DTS bomb.

Regards,

Steve
post #22864 of 23008 Old 04-11-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Bub, I haven't forgotten you. I just haven't had the time to get to your PM.

Also, for those out there that may still want it, I have the DSP and 1.08 FW update files still. Both are zips, both have instructions etc, both can be emailed (PM me privately), both are on *your* head to do....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #22865 of 23008 Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 PM
bub
Advanced Member

Thanks Seggers. So, you think my description is of the DTS bomb? I just can't understand how my receiver could work perfectly for 10 years, then one day... Of course, I have absolutely no understanding of the DTS bomb at all so...
post #22866 of 23008 Old 04-11-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I doubt if it is the dreaded bomb... The DTS HD Master bomb sounds like a loud gunshot, not static noise... It is extremely loud, maybe 10dB louder than the soundtrack. It is so loud, it can and will blow your tweeters at reference levels. The DTS bomb is also repeatable. If you playback that same segment, it will reoccur at the exact same point. The movies I know that causes the DTS bomb is the Star Wars and the How to Train Your Dragon Blu-Rays... Note, if you have the player do the decoding, the bomb issue goes away (since the problem is in the decoding chip in the AVR).

If you cannot replicate the bomb or it still appears even though the player is decoding the audio, then it points to an issue with the AVR.

If you upgrade the DTS decoder to patch the firmware, you must use a CD player with a optical output. You cannot update the decoder playing back through a DVD or Blu-Ray player, it will NOT work.

Also, if you update the AVR firmware (not the decoder firmware), you cannot update it from 1.00 to 1.08, you must have 1.05 installed before 1.08, or you will "brick" the Onkyo.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #22867 of 23008 Old 04-12-2014, 06:36 AM
bub
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

I doubt if it is the dreaded bomb... The DTS HD Master bomb sounds like a loud gunshot, not static noise... It is extremely loud, maybe 10dB louder than the soundtrack. It is so loud, it can and will blow your tweeters at reference levels. The DTS bomb is also repeatable. If you playback that same segment, it will reoccur at the exact same point. The movies I know that causes the DTS bomb is the Star Wars and the How to Train Your Dragon Blu-Rays... Note, if you have the player do the decoding, the bomb issue goes away (since the problem is in the decoding chip in the AVR).

If you cannot replicate the bomb or it still appears even though the player is decoding the audio, then it points to an issue with the AVR.

If you upgrade the DTS decoder to patch the firmware, you must use a CD player with a optical output. You cannot update the decoder playing back through a DVD or Blu-Ray player, it will NOT work.

Also, if you update the AVR firmware (not the decoder firmware), you cannot update it from 1.00 to 1.08, you must have 1.05 installed before 1.08, or you will "brick" the Onkyo.

I was watching a video stream, mkv file, at the time. So, it is a dts hd master problem? I'm using a WDTV Live box feeding mkv files. I know I can pass dts hd audio (not clear on the master portion).

If it isn't the 'bomb' issue, what do you think has gone wrong? Next time I use my system, I will definitely play the same file to see if I get the same result at the same spot of the file.

Thanks for any advice. I literally have not had one single issue with my 805 in the 10 years I've had it, and I've watched maybe 1,000 movies during that time, so curious what has gone wrong.

Update: Just checked my firmware etc...
Firmware 1.08
Loader 1.01
All DSP firmware shows latest.
post #22868 of 23008 Old 04-12-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
If the firmware is up to date, it is not the DTS bomb... It is likely your amplifier is having issues...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #22869 of 23008 Old 04-21-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hello,

I have downgraded my tower speakers to Kef LS50 bookshelf speakers. Looking to sell my emotiva amp and using the internal amp of the AVR. Quick question, do I set the AVR to 6 or 4 ohm speakers? The speaker specs:

• Amp Requirements: 25-100w
• Nominal impedance: 8Ω (min. 3.2Ω)
post #22870 of 23008 Old 04-21-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If I remember my Hi-Fi training correctly (and I'm really old, so I might not!), I believe the only thing setting the receiver for ≥6-ohm does is limit the output power, which now that i'm thinking on it seems kind of counter-intuitive, but anyway... I don't even look at the speaker specs. I just set my 805 to 4-ohm. More amps to the wires.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #22871 of 23008 Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

If I remember my Hi-Fi training correctly (and I'm really old, so I might not!), I believe the only thing setting the receiver for ≥6-ohm does is limit the output power, which now that i'm thinking on it seems kind of counter-intuitive, but anyway... I don't even look at the speaker specs. I just set my 805 to 4-ohm. More amps to the wires.

You've got it backwards. Driving lower impedance speakers at a given voltage level requires more current and produces more power, and therefore more heat. The 4 ohm setting limits output power (supply voltage, actually) as a "safety" measure, so there's less of a risk of cooking things when driving low impedance loads.
tractng likes this.

post #22872 of 23008 Old 04-22-2014, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^^^But matching impedance is still the best option (optimum volume, less waste of power, stress on amp, stress on speakers, reduce distortion) to name a few.
post #22873 of 23008 Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolootbs View Post

You've got it backwards. Driving lower impedance speakers at a given voltage level requires more current and produces more power, and therefore more heat. The 4 ohm setting limits output power (supply voltage, actually) as a "safety" measure, so there's less of a risk of cooking things when driving low impedance loads.

Thanks, absolootbs. Yep... I knew I was getting old frown.gif So, I use the setting that gives me the most output (in this case, apparently, ≥6-ohms) regardless of my speakers' impedance ratings and do not look back (Too, bad. If I had looked back to my posts many years ago I might have remembered correctly redface.gif). I have never blown a speaker or an amplifier doing this. I have, however, blown out a not-too-expensive sub-woofer (using its own power, BTW, so I assume it was set to the correct impedance at the factory) when Sauron's hand is cut off in the retrospective battle scene in LoTR.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #22874 of 23008 Old 04-23-2014, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolootbs View Post

Thanks guys. I spent a few hours reading this stuff. Very confused because of wrong facts. Now much clearer or clarity tongue.gif
post #22875 of 23008 Old 04-23-2014, 06:03 AM
bub
Advanced Member

I think I figured it out guys.

I have three WDTV Live streaming boxes, one in the media room, and use the URC RF20's, also three of them, to control all my devices. The RF20's are UHF and I use a UHF to IR repeater in my media room to control hidden devices. Unfortunately, the repeater would be activated by the other RF20's in the house. This was causing the WDTV Live in the media room, which is always left on due to rather long start up times, to end up on some weird screens that sometimes I couldn't back out of, the screen would be frozen. So, I was having to restart the device a lot, defeating the purpose of leaving it on. I thought it might be the device, so I swapped it out with the WDTV Live hooked up in our bedroom.

I had never had any issue with my Onkyo 805 in over 10 years, but started having problems, I didn't realize this at the time, at the same time of the WDTV Live swap.

I swapped the WDTV Live back and haven't had a repeat issue in a week. Must be some sort of incompatibility between one of the settings on the 'bedroom' WDTV Live, or maybe some hardware difference with that particular unit. Whatever the reason, I believe that was what was causing my Onkyo 805 issues.

Just wanted to report back what has been going on, and to thank you all again for taking the time to give me some advice, I appreciate it.

Good luck all...

Forgot to mention, I solved the problem with the other RF20's manipulating the theater room's IR Repeater by blocking its IR port when not in use, just a simple cover made out of a tissue box.
post #22876 of 23008 Old 04-24-2014, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
My 805 at my parents is still going strong. And it gets use a couple nights a week. Not bad after all this time!

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22877 of 23008 Old 04-24-2014, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
post #22878 of 23008 Old 04-24-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bub View Post

I had never had any issue with my Onkyo 805 in over 10 years, but started having problems, I didn't realize this at the time, at the same time of the WDTV Live swap.
This receiver has only been around since 2007 so you haven't had it for ten years yet.

Glad you figured out your problem. Other than replacing the resistors for the front panel display (for less than $2.00) I haven't had any issues with mine either for the last 6.5 years and hope it lasts for many more years!
post #22879 of 23008 Old 04-24-2014, 03:20 PM
bub
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post

This receiver has only been around since 2007 so you haven't had it for ten years yet.

Glad you figured out your problem. Other than replacing the resistors for the front panel display (for less than $2.00) I haven't had any issues with mine either for the last 6.5 years and hope it lasts for many more years!

Yup, 11/20/08 for $620.96 from Amazon.
post #22880 of 23008 Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Ahhh, nostalgia. Just dug up the receipt for my 805 which is still going strong - 12/1/2007 - $678.83 at Circuit City (defunct) after a price match to Frys. As I recall, I also somehow used a AAA discount (10% off) and used the mail in rebate in the Entertainment Book, but I don't have any records to support that....

The only thing that went wrong was the display going out 1 year later. Actually got it repaired under warranty at a local place (before the instructions were posted here)

Edit:

I just went hunting thru this thread, and it turns out I posted my exact details smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post

Ok, I'm back with a new 805 from a different Circuit City (apparently I bought the last one at my local store). After bouncing around in the phone system for about 20 minutes (needed to make sure they actually had one before I drove there) I finally got a hold of someone who confirmed they had three and she put one aside. No questions asked when I got there (they didn't even open the box to make sure everything was there...). It's running thru the Audessey setup now. Seems more stable. Multichannel audio seems to be good when I press around on the back, jiggle cables, etc.

FYI - I got out of the door at $678 including Tax. Ordered online via the entertainment.com link for $699, but couldn't apply the 10% off AAA coupon. Had the store apply the coupon when I got there. I should still be eligible to get the 10% back via gift card from entertainment.com. Not a bad deal all around.

So in reality, the 699 was actually CC matching Frys sale price for the week. I applied the AAA 10% off coupon and got the 10% rebate from the Entertainment book. Awesome deal for an awesome receiver.

post #22881 of 23008 Old 04-26-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Got mine from OneCall on 7JUL2007 for $799.99 delivered. So for a hundred bucks I had excellent sound/video for a few months more than you smile.gif

post #22882 of 23008 Old 04-29-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SO like many of you I've been considering getting a new receiver..
The main pull is that the 805 does not support ARC, a feature I'd like to have. I am also running a phantom Center speaker and I've read that the new receivers can greatly improve dialogue intelligibility (Yamaha in particular). I don't want to give up the top notch amp section though, curious what others are ending up with?
post #22883 of 23008 Old 04-30-2014, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post

SO like many of you I've been considering getting a new receiver..
The main pull is that the 805 does not support ARC, a feature I'd like to have. I am also running a phantom Center speaker and I've read that the new receivers can greatly improve dialogue intelligibility (Yamaha in particular). I don't want to give up the top notch amp section though, curious what others are ending up with?

I know what you mean. The 805 has a top notch amp that is yet to be found even in todays high end avr's.
I wonder what other avrs could come close to the 805's amp in the event that my 805 fails.
post #22884 of 23008 Old 06-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Today you lost a customer! I have been a long time supporter but after my lightly used 805 had intermittent HDMI drops and then a complete HDMI out failure, your customer service has been atrocious! Search the net, Avs forum, amazon for Onkyo HDMI failure. You have been having receivers fail for the last 7 years! Your products are disposable! When I called, nothing we can do. I complained on FB and Twitter, a waste of a month of my time only to be offered a previous failed unit at a discount for a few bucks cheaper than Amazon. Once Onkyo was sold so was the quality. If consumers are now expected to throw away receivers I will buy the Sony 1040 CNET best buy for 399. It is a price I am willing to pay to get past a bad relationship! Goodbye and good riddance Onkyo!

HD-DVD: 115 Blu: 6
Latest HD-DVD: All of them at Frys for under $10.

Latest BD: No incentive to pick up discs now that the format war is over. Netflix via xbox and mail is more that sufficient.
post #22885 of 23008 Old 06-20-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^Umm, you do realize this isn't the Onkyo forum and they don't even read comments here.
Sorry your unit went tits on you though. FWIW it can most likely still be used for analog audio or as a straight 7ch amplifier.
You could also get something like an OPPO Blu-ray player and use the analog outputs to the 805 for audio, and run HDMI direct from the player to the tv for video.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #22886 of 23008 Old 06-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^Umm, you do realize this isn't the Onkyo forum and they don't even read comments here.
Sorry your unit went tits on you though. FWIW it can most likely still be used for analog audio or as a straight 7ch amplifier.
You could also get something like an OPPO Blu-ray player and use the analog outputs to the 805 for audio, and run HDMI direct from the player to the tv for video.
I know they don't, I just don't want to see anyone make the same mistake as I did.

I will still use it for audio as it has phono and sounds amazing.

HD-DVD: 115 Blu: 6
Latest HD-DVD: All of them at Frys for under $10.

Latest BD: No incentive to pick up discs now that the format war is over. Netflix via xbox and mail is more that sufficient.
post #22887 of 23008 Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB GAMER View Post
I know they don't, I just don't want to see anyone make the same mistake as I did.

I will still use it for audio as it has phono and sounds amazing.
You didn't make a mistake, the 805 was and is still an excellent avr.
You just happen to be one of the unlucky ones that had a problem.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #22888 of 23008 Old 06-20-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
You didn't make a mistake, the 805 was and is still an excellent avr.
You just happen to be one of the unlucky ones that had a problem.
Excellent AVRs last longer than one wants to use them as AVRs. It is junk that fails after only 7 years of use (and that is assuming that he bought it when it first came out, and not later on). I have had receivers last decades without needing a repair.

Either a lot of people are telling lies, or it is a mistake to buy an Onkyo receiver. If you like things that fail early, you will disagree.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #22889 of 23008 Old 06-20-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post
Excellent AVRs last longer than one wants to use them as AVRs. It is junk that fails after only 7 years of use (and that is assuming that he bought it when it first came out, and not later on). I have had receivers last decades without needing a repair.

Either a lot of people are telling lies, or it is a mistake to buy an Onkyo receiver. If you like things that fail early, you will disagree.
Well it's not like they are all failing .
Majority of comments here are not reports about theirs' breaking.
Having said that, their will ALWAYS be a certain percentage of breakage in any and all lines of electronics.
There have been some issues with the HDMI boards in the Onkyo 5 series, I don't attempt to say otherwise,
but overall the 805 is still a top notch AVR.

You also can't group ALL Onkyo AVRs together and say they fail early.
That's just unreasonable at beast. I really have no idea regarding the reliability of the newer models.
I still love my 805 for all it does and has done for many years.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...

Last edited by Smarty-pants; 06-20-2014 at 10:22 PM.
post #22890 of 23008 Old 06-20-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The 805 is an awesome receiver. I have mine 7 years an counting. No issues what so ever.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page