Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #22921 of 22941 Old 07-17-2014, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dave, Thank you.

Seggers, I sent you a pm. Please have a look when an opportunity presents itself.

-Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22922 of 22941 Old 07-17-2014, 09:05 AM

Liked: 10
Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^
I still faithfully use my 805 for audio when I need to, but mostly just use it as a power amp for my surround speakers.
All of my video gets run through an Oppo BDP-105D and then directly to my display.
I just don't find the desire for anything more these days.
I would love to give you some advice on what could replace it, but these days I just don't have time to follow the market closely on everything out there.
Onkyo gets a lot of flack for their reliability these days too. If I were to buy a new processor, it probably wouldn't be an Onkyo.
I know some people really like the newer Denon models which seem to be very popular.
There is also a huge forum dedicated to a/v processors here on AVS.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ps-processors/
Thank you for your time answering my question.
I will do my homework in that thread so I can figure what to look in new receivers.
Personally I think that Onkyo is going backwards.
post #22923 of 22941 Old 07-17-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracGuate View Post
Thank you for your time answering my question.
I will do my homework in that thread so I can figure what to look in new receivers.
Personally I think that Onkyo is going backwards.
IMO, all manufacturers (not just A/V) are "going backwards" from any point you choose... They are in it to make money, not to please the masses. Those of us lucky enough to get an 805 that cannot be beat for anywhere near the price sit back and enjoy.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #22924 of 22941 Old 07-17-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post
IMO, all manufacturers (not just A/V) are "going backwards" from any point you choose... They are in it to make money, not to please the masses. Those of us lucky enough to get an 805 that cannot be beat for anywhere near the price sit back and enjoy.
My opinion is that all or them (including sound laboratories, speakers, etc) noticed specially here in AVS and other forums, about the interest of customers to obtain better equipment, but they are only including fancy names as features, only to attract the money. My personal concern is my 805 has some years of service and maybe soon needs to be replaced. By now, Im OK. Recently I was reading about Dolby Atmos? I don't know what they're looking for... (more speakers sales!?)

Thank you for your comments.
post #22925 of 22941 Old 07-17-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 114
^ATMOS
Yes, more speaker sales and you must buy a new processor that decodes it.
That is their latest gimmick to make money in the industry.
It remains to be seen if the sound will actually benefit the experience.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #22926 of 22941 Old 07-17-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Lol, this Onkyo TX-SR805 just keeps going. ...I gave mine to my bro years ago and it still works like if it was brand new.
Then I told him to get the latest Dolby Atmos download inside his 805, through one of its three HDMI ports.

* He had to buy bigger speakers; his 805 keeps blowing the drivers inside his smaller ones, lol
post #22927 of 22941 Old 07-20-2014, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sad day in my house, the 805 wont power on anymore. I live in Hawaii and it is very humid and moist, especially some mornings, electronics are always dying. About a week ago the 805 went into a fault mode, powered on then off with blinking standby. I assumed it was a wet dog hair on a speaker terminal or some dust and cleaned everything, finally I resorted to hair drying to eliminate any moisture. The unit powered on and continued to work for the next week like normal.

This morning, another wet morning, the 805 wont power on at all, no standby light. Removing the power to reset and the replugging resulted in one blink of the standby light and then nothing. I took the cover off, checked the fuses, looked for obvious shorts or busted caps, nothing. I tried the hair dryer, it turned on, I checked the volume at max and no power down fault, I then turned it off, put the cover on and it never turned on again. All I can get is the one blink of the standby light when plugging in the power. Dealing with a HTPC that had a mobo and GPU quit do to the climate I believe, and now the 805 is stressful. The one electronics guy I could find on island will look at it and said he will sell me a new Sony 1050 discounted the diagnostic fees if he cant fix it, this works out to be a decent deal but I cant imagine the Sony is going to sound like my 805.

Avid AV enthusiast with an HD and LFE addiction.
Look at my Theatre here.
post #22928 of 22941 Old 07-20-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^ It is very important to have a dry and temperature controlled environment for electronics.
That sucks that your 805 took a dump, but moving forward you really should figure out a way to better control your room environment.
I assume you don't have central air that will usually keep the humidity in a house fairly low,
but can cost thousands to install. You could also add a dehumidifier in the room where your main electronics are located.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #22929 of 22941 Old 07-20-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unfortunately not an option, I live near the ocean in an open air house. Just a gamble I have to take with the electronics. The 805 has been a reliable performer for the past six years, no hdmi issues on my unit.

I have my multimeter and the service manual, I intend to diagnose the issue. Given the intermittent nature and the fact that while running there is no fault, I believe the amp circuitry is ok. Starting at the standby power board and moving on down...

Avid AV enthusiast with an HD and LFE addiction.
Look at my Theatre here.
post #22930 of 22941 Old 07-20-2014, 12:36 PM

Don't give up all hope just yet; that tech guy on your island might find the issue; and it could be a very simple one too.
...Unless he really wants you to have that Sony machine, and eventually sell your 805 to another fellow at the other end of your island...
post #22931 of 22941 Old Today, 11:33 AM

It's been a long time since I last posted. I've been running my 805 for a good 6 or 7 years and really love it. It's never let me down. Lately, I've had a touch of upgradeidus. I had been using the 805 in 5.1 mode driving old school B & W DM303 Bookshelves with matching LR3 Center with a SVS PB10 Sub. Modest setup that sounded great. I've recently picked up thru Craigslist a pair of Dahlquist 20i speakers.Dahlquist DQ-20i Specs:

Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz +- 4.5db 50 Hz to 20 kHz +- 2.5db 1kHz to 20 kHz +-1db

Power requirements: 50-220 watts Low Pass Crossover: 400 Hz (12dB/octave) high Pass Crossover: 3500 Hz Impedance: 4 ohms minimum (6 ohms nominal) Sensitivity: 86 db/ 1 meter/ 2.83 colts

Dimensions 42" High x 20.75" Wide x 12" Deep Weight: 62 Lbs

Description:
Manufacture Years: 1989 - 1992
MSRP: $1,995.00
Infinite baffle; 10" woofers, 5" mid, 3/4 tweeter
Frequency Response:
20Hz to 20kHz +- 4.5db
50 Hz to 20 kHz +- 2.5db
1kHz to 20 kHz +-1db
Power requirements: 50-220 watts
Low Pass Crossover: 400 Hz (12dB/octave)
high Pass Crossover: 3500 Hz
Impedance: 4 ohms minimum (6 ohms nominal)
Sensitivity: 86 db/ 1 meter/ 2.83 colts
Dimensions 42" High x 20.75" Wide x 12" Deep
Weight: 62 Lbs

As well as a pair of Walsh OHM 2 Speakers.
Production Period1982-1989Nationally Advertised Priceoriginally $650 - $795 per pairDimensions11x11x32Amplifiers Recommended125 watts Impedance (typical)4 ohms Ω Frequency Response42 - 17,000 HzSensitivity @2.8 Volts88 dBRecommended Room Sizesup to 400 sq.ft.Then went on Amazon and picked up a like new Onkyo 805 for $230 delivered. It looks brand new with all the accessories. I've powered it up it worked fine but have yet to incorporate into the system. Running the Dahlquist as fronts and the OHM 2's as surrounds with the old 805.Still using the LR3 as center with PB10 sub. It sounds very good using the 20i's in stereo mode. Now to the questions, I've done a ton of research on the Dahlquist and OHM speakers. Apparently, both pairs of speakers love power. Especially the 20i's, they really need high current not so much as it being clean power. Their sensitivity db level being 86. The OHM 2's have a more manageable sensitivity level of 88db. I'd like to use the 805 in preamp mode with the OHM'S. From what ive ascertained the 805 would handle in preamp speakers with 89db or above. I'm not so much worried about the power running the OHM's the 805 does I believe 270 watts in 4 ohm. Question is, being the fact the OHM 2's being 88db will they'll be any clipping going on ? I'm 65 % HT and 35% music. Now to the good part, the Dahlquist 20i speakers. They are amazing ! I'm thinking that to push them I'll need probably 300 watts of continual power, at 4 ohm's. So, a preamp and amp are the way to go. I'd like to keep the cost at around a grand. Probably, be looking to EBay or Amazon. I do however have about 1,700 available to spend at Best Buy. Not sure of the quality of their amps and preamps. I've read that Parasound, Hafler and Carver, as well as Adcom, pair well with the Dahquist speakers. Lost a bid yesterday for the Carver TFM 45. Thinking of trying for the TFM 35. Also, maybe a Carver c-1, with a Carver M500T used. If there's anyone out there with knowledge of the Dahlquist speakers, I'd very much appreciate there suggestions.

Regards, Larry
post #22932 of 22941 Old Today, 11:58 AM

My main front speakers have a sensitivity of 85dB. ...And they are a 4Ω loads. ...When I had my 805, no problem riding them with that Ultra2 power (369 watts @ 4Ω with 1% THD, by the way, or 328 W with 0.1% THD, and not 270 W like you mentioned above).

Now, me I'm from the school of if I want more power (I do have an Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5, among other power amps, but the Emotiva ones are great value IMO), then I simply got a dedicated SSP instead of using my 805 as a pre/pro.

Now, you mentioned Parasound, Hafler, Carver, Adcom power amps. I'd say the one(s) you'll end up with; use/try it/them with your 805 receiver (as a pre/pro).
Just make sure there is a fair match between the two component's impedance; the 805's preouts, and the amp's inputs.
Go slow, raise the volume level with care.

* Don't use the 805 to bi-amp, ever. IMHO

Last edited by NorthSky; Today at 12:02 PM.
post #22933 of 22941 Old Today, 12:10 PM

Oh, and my two front mains are flat down to 29Hz (-6dB @ 24Hz). ...But I crossed my two subs @ 80Hz, when in movie time. ...With music it varies depending of the music genre I listen to @ the time (sometimes sub-less, and @ other times subs on).
But never the two together (Double Bass), ever never.

Last edited by NorthSky; Today at 04:15 PM. Reason: Rypo
post #22934 of 22941 Old Today, 12:31 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBreeze View Post
Question is, being the fact the OHM 2's being 88db will they'll be any clipping going on ?
It's all a question of your listening distance, listening level, and the content (more specifically, the content's dynamic range). As an example, lets say you lose about 10db after subtracting for listening distance and adding back for room gain/boundary reinforcement, etc. Now you're at 78db/2.83V (which is 2 watts @ 4 ohms). Every 3db requires twice the power, so you're at 75db with 1W. 270W is ~2^8.1, or 8.1 "doublings" of power that you have available. And since every doubling of power gains you 3db you can gain a maximum of 8.1 increments of 3db, or 24.3db over your baseline of 75db. So the maximum listening level you can achieve at your distance with the power available would be 99.3db. Now lets say the material you're listening to has a 20db range between it's peaks and it's average level. That means that as long as you're ok listening at levels where the material's average is at or below 79.3db you shouldn't run into any clipping issues, even reproducing the loudest peaks the material contains.

One thing to note though is that this is all theoretical, and assumes that your amplifiers peak power is no greater that it's continuous power, which is usually not true. It also assumes that your speakers present a 4ohm load across their entire frequency range, which they most assuredly do not. So in practice, you might be able to get away with a little more, or you might not be able to get away with quite that much. But it should be a good estimation none-the-less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBreeze View Post
I'm thinking that to push them I'll need probably 300 watts of continual power, at 4 ohm's.
Not sure what you're basing this on, but again, it's a question of the same factors as above. Know your distance and the levels that you wish to achieve, then do the math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
(369 watts @ 4Ω with 1% THD, by the way, or 328 W with 0.1% THD, and not 270 W like you mentioned above)
I'm assuming his figure of 270W @ 4ohm comes from the old secrets bench test. Out of curiosity, where did you get 369W @ 4ohm?

Last edited by absolootbs; Today at 12:41 PM.
post #22935 of 22941 Old Today, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, NorthSky I did use the old Secret bench test. Either way, the 270 or 369 will do fine. I really don't crank up the volume anymore. I have a medium size listening area 19' x 15' x 8' room. So, with that being said, I assume that when you say SSP your referring to a good preamp. I have read a lot of good things about the Emotiva products. What is the difference between the more expensive XPA vs the UPA ? Which grouping would be more suited to what I'd like to accomplish ? I really feel that the 20i's need to be pushed hard to reach their potential. Since, the ohm's are to be surrounds they definitely probably will work with the Onkyo 805 handling the load. Although, everyone says that the 20i's sound great bi amped I'll only do that if I get a very good amp. Otherwise, I'm not sure the effort will be that distinguishable. In any case, I'm certain that I'll be satisfied with the upgrade from the B & W's. Keep the suggestions coming.

Larry
post #22936 of 22941 Old Today, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolootbs View Post
I'm assuming his figure of 270W @ 4ohm comes from the old secrets bench test.
Out of curiosity, where did you get 369W @ 4ohm?
Right here
post #22937 of 22941 Old Today, 04:32 PM

Larry, the XPA-2 would do just fine with your speakers (20i's). ...Lots of current; no sweat with 4Ω impedance.
...And the 805 for everything else. ...Plus you already have one sub; get a second one.

It's your money, it's your room, it's your willingness to endure higher decibels capability with verve.

* The 805 is still a monster. ...And speakers of lower sensitivity and impedance do require current for singing in sync. The 805 can get Reference level in your mid 2,280 cubic foot room (105dB peak levels with movie audio soundtracks, and even more); it is THX Ultra2 certified (for rooms of up to 3,000 cf), and also rated to drive 4Ω speaker loads.

<<>> SSP -> Surround Sound Processor (Multichannel of course - 9.2)

Last edited by NorthSky; Today at 04:48 PM. Reason: <<>>
post #22938 of 22941 Old Today, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll second the notion of Emotiva amps being the shiz for the money paid.
I personally use an XPA-3 for my front speaks and LOVE it!
Then use the 805 to power all my surround speakers. Couldn't be happier with that setup.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #22939 of 22941 Old Today, 04:54 PM

But you know what Larry? Are you not interested to get a new receiver with Dolby Atmos?

Because the 805 is a prehistoric monster; 2007 - Only Audyssey MultEQ XT (with a bad mic - puck style - Onkyo's own mickey mouse mic), so Audyssey is not efficient here (the pyramid style mics are much better - Audyssey's made and calibrated), and you simply don't have all the Lamborghini features present in receivers of the year 2014 (seven long years later). Because the world we live in now is getting closer to be running @ the speed of light ("c" constant, by Alfred Einstein). ...Adolph, I mean.

...Albert
post #22940 of 22941 Old Today, 06:28 PM

You guys rock. Wish I knew when the next Emotiva warehouse sale was ? I'll probably check out the XPA-3 as soon as the wallet allows. Btw, can anybody suggest a good center channel besides the timber matched Dahlquist 3 ones they sell. I'm not so sure the b&w LCR-3 will cut it with added power. I do like the fact that with the Emotiva setup new you get quality warrantied components. Northstar, I'll have to pass on another sub. My wife complains already. I have not looked into the Dolby Atmos, did I read somewhere maybe here that the Onkyo 805 has a fix or some kind of upgrade that would obtain the Atmos ? Does anyone know anything about Soundcraftsmen Amps ? A friend on Craigslist has PCR800 Amp with lot's of juice for sale at a reasonable price. And, what preamp would I run with that ?
post #22941 of 22941 Old Today, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ I primarily use analog audio now, but I have had pretty good results with the Audyssey in the 805.
It can be very tricky to get right. You have to jump through a few hoops and tricks and possibly run it many times,
but once you get it right, you can hear the difference it makes.
Yes the newer version of Audyssey are better, but I don't think the MultEQ-XT is bad,
just not very forgiving and takes some work to get it to work well.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page