"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 766 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 764  765  766 767  768  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > "The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread
DaBreeze's Avatar DaBreeze 07:12 PM 07-29-2014
Hell, I'm going to go with the Emotiva xpa-3 for the front stage using the Onkyo 805 as the preamp than just use the Onkyo 805 to power the Walsh Ohm 2.s surrounds. Case Closed. Thanks for the help.


Larry

NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 10:40 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Northsky: How does "blanketing" help when Audyssey measurements are recommended for the conditions as they are, such that everything is taken into account? Obviously, slight modifications may change reflections, but blanketing prior to measurements is a new one to me!
Because the mic that comes with the 805 (Onkyo's own mic) is not a very good mic, so it is wise to improvise some small and smart decor adjustments, and that one of putting a material piece on top of a reflective coffee table is such a flexible alternative at correction.

I did experiment both ways and find the 'blanket' option to be be a viable alternative to a less than perfect mic; it added some 'clarity' to the overall sound.

Room's acoustics we can tailor to our own by using imaginative methods, by using common sense from what we already know.

No one is telling us to abide by the laws; we create our own world at the end...this is our right to freedom, our right to choose what's best for us. There are no cops patrolling in our living room or home theater room to dictate us of what to do with our sound. ...And every product has its flaws. ...Knowing the flaws we can circumvent around them to obtain more beneficial results.

The best DSP inside a machine (DRC and EQ) works best when used intelligently, by us.

* This is a free suggestion.
NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 10:50 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Blanketing items that reflect sound will yield better results for Audyssey or any other type of digital room correction software, BUT...
if you then remove the blanket after calibration, you then create a new reflection that can alter and muddy up the sound.
If you can't permanently eliminate some sound reflective surfaces, it's better to just leave them as-is when you are doing the calibration IMHO.
...Or just leave the 'blanket' (use a nice piece of fabric, color pleasant, design attractive) on your reflective coffee table, afterwards.

Because to have a reflective object (coffee table in this instance) in front of your listening position is not the first recommendation for best sound.
NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 10:54 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBreeze View Post
Hell, I'm going to go with the Emotiva xpa-3 for the front stage using the Onkyo 805 as the preamp than just use the Onkyo 805 to power the Walsh Ohm 2.s surrounds. Case Closed. Thanks for the help.

Larry
Larry, tell Emotiva that Bob (the Canadian Frenchman) did help in recommending their XPA amp series.
tanman's Avatar tanman 09:37 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
...Or just leave the 'blanket' (use a nice piece of fabric, color pleasant, design attractive) on your reflective coffee table, afterwards.

Because to have a reflective object (coffee table in this instance) in front of your listening position is not the first recommendation for best sound.
If your decor allow you to leave the blanket, I understand.
My only concern was removing the blanket after tuning. That would change the dynamics again!
NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 05:06 PM 07-30-2014
Like I said, the 805's mic is not the best, so it's good to experiment with alternatives; room decor wise (acoustic).

Blanket on or off, before and after, leave it on or take it off...experiment. ...Key: Experiment. ...And your ears are best judge.
* You can even take measurements of all the variables too, with REW. ...But your ears are still the best indicator, IMHO. ...And in particular for that most important center channel speaker (dialogue).
DaBreeze's Avatar DaBreeze 09:28 AM 08-04-2014
Back again. Seems like restraints on the wallet have deemed the Emotiva XPA -3 as a amp out of the question. Anyone have any thoughts about the Behringer INuke Nu-4-6000 4 channel Power amp for a mere $360.00 delivered ? I know that the Behringer is usually used in DJ and instrument setups but I've also read that it can be used in HT mode as well. I have, however, read that the dual fans are quite noisy for HT applications. Easy fan mod though. No doubt, in my configuration that the wattage it can put out is overkill. But, as I stated earlier, my front speakers are power hungry Dahlquist 4 ohm 20i speakers that could use a good 300 watts to open them up. The Center Speaker Klipsch KLF-C7 is a monster that at peak power can handle 600 watts. And if I wanted to I could probably run my SVS PB 10 somehow too.


How do I incorporate the Behringer NU4-6000 amp into the Onkyo SR805 pre/pro outs ? The Behringer Amplifiers have no Rca or binding posts. I've read that I would need some Speakon to Rca adapters. Anyone know about these ? How about a 10' XLR Male to RCA Male cable ? If these work, how many do I need ? Also, would it be helpful to get a ART CLEANbox stereo balanced/unbalanced converter ? Is their any question of circuit overloads ? I'm using a 15AMP circuit. Are power conditioners helpful to prevent circuit board overloads ? I know this sounds like a shitload of trouble for a amp upgrade but in the long run this may be ideal. I had a offer on Craigslist for a used NAD 2600A 2 channel amp in good condition for $225 which in it's day was very good and pushed 400/600 watts.There's also another 2600A that needs repair for $45 bucks. Your feedback highly welcome.


Larry
HDgaming42's Avatar HDgaming42 11:06 AM 08-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
A mic stand with boom; a proven result for me, in a higher overall sound performance. ...And with its base, or three legs, always on the floor (never on the couch, ever). ...And the boom, as much as possible out of the way, for each separate eight measurement position. ...Yes, eight, not six, not three, not five, not four, EIGHT (all of them).
...And no farther than two feet from each other. ...That's what I found, after many many many experimentations with mic positioning.

Plus, instead of taking measurements behind the couch (chair), do it in front. Or only two behind your chair only if the back of it is not in the way of your front main tweeters.
And, higher than ear level; two-three inches higher.

And, if you have a wood or glass coffee table; cover it with a blanket.
And, never (ever) move your seat, chair, or couch to take measurements. ...Even that coffee table has to remain there.
But cutting the front reflections help in the Audyssey measurements.

This was good for me. ...For movies, not so for music. ...For music I had to go with the Audyssey pyramid from a more recent receiver. ...And then XT32.

Now, I need a new SSP, for Dolby Atmos. ...I'm thinking Marantz, because Onkyo/Integra is on a new venture with AccuEQ. ...And to not EQuing the two front mains doesn't hit the right chord in my audio/acoustic surround philosophy. ...I would have to test it, but right now I have some doubt, and when you have some doubt about the woman you're with, it is better to not marry her. ...I think.
Thanks for all the Audyssey tips! My 805 has been running great for years (put a fan on top of it day 1) and I've never even bothered with the DTS-bomb fix.

I too have upgradeitus, and am eyeing a Denon X4000 for the XT32 with dual sub support.

I recently purchased a miniDSP and I'm curious if you think I could get similar results from using it in conjuncture with my 805, and get a bit more life out of her? You seem to be familiar with both XT and XT32--I just don't know how big a difference there is to the end result. Interested in anyone's take on this...

Could the miniDSP close the gap between XT and XT32 do you think? I fear buying in to the X4000 or even the incoming X4100 would be a bad buy with HDMI 2.0 still being hashed out.

Buying the 805 when I did was one of the luckiest gear purchases I've ever made as each subsequent model dropped something.

I'd like to continue the trend of buying back in only when it presents tremendous value.
aracGuate's Avatar aracGuate 01:02 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Because the mic that comes with the 805 (Onkyo's own mic) is not a very good mic, so it is wise to improvise some small and smart decor adjustments, and that one of putting a material piece on top of a reflective coffee table is such a flexible alternative at correction.

I did experiment both ways and find the 'blanket' option to be be a viable alternative to a less than perfect mic; it added some 'clarity' to the overall sound.

Room's acoustics we can tailor to our own by using imaginative methods, by using common sense from what we already know.

No one is telling us to abide by the laws; we create our own world at the end...this is our right to freedom, our right to choose what's best for us. There are no cops patrolling in our living room or home theater room to dictate us of what to do with our sound. ...And every product has its flaws. ...Knowing the flaws we can circumvent around them to obtain more beneficial results.

The best DSP inside a machine (DRC and EQ) works best when used intelligently, by us.

* This is a free suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Blanketing items that reflect sound will yield better results for Audyssey or any other type of digital room correction software, BUT...
if you then remove the blanket after calibration, you then create a new reflection that can alter and muddy up the sound.
If you can't permanently eliminate some sound reflective surfaces, it's better to just leave them as-is when you are doing the calibration IMHO.
Hello Guys:
recently buy the Disney WOW disc. Ive been reading the thread too.
They say that doing the SPL calibration instead Audyssey is better.

Last weekend, spent about 4 hours doing it. First Audyssey, then the Wow way.
I noticed slight changes in sound in the surround channels. The 3 front and SW almost equal level.

Have you done this? What do you think about level calibration of WOW disc vs Audyssey?
I know it could be a matter of preferences, but IMO the surround channels work better with the WOW calibration.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 01:27 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracGuate View Post
Hello Guys:
recently buy the Disney WOW disc. Ive been reading the thread too.
They say that doing the SPL calibration instead Audyssey is better.

Last weekend, spent about 4 hours doing it. First Audyssey, then the Wow way.
I noticed slight changes in sound in the surround channels. The 3 front and SW almost equal level.

Have you done this? What do you think about level calibration of WOW disc vs Audyssey?
I know it could be a matter of preferences, but IMO the surround channels work better with the WOW calibration.
This can be very tricky to know what to do.
First of all, the Audyssey is there to use for people who don't have an ideal room for acoustics.
Most people don't have acoustic treatments setup in a room that is made for audio and video.
They have tables/walls/floors/etc that reflect sound and create audio nodes that in general will hinder the audio from being
balanced in all frequencies at all listening positions.
Now... if you have a room that is very ideal for this type of audio, you may not need the calibration that Audyssey provides, but that is rare.
However, if you are using HDMI (or any other digital interface) for audio, then more than likely Audyssey will usually be the best way to go
since no room is perfect, but you just have to make sure that you are using the Audyssey the best way possible.
As others have said (and there are HUGE threads and discussions elsewhere about how to get the best results from your Audyssey),
it can be a bit difficult to get the very best results from the mic and version of Audyssey that is in the 805,
but if you try hard enough and learn the best methods, it can provide very nice "calibrated sound".

Doing your own calibration across all channels/frequencies/positions/etc can be very difficult,
but hey, if you are confident that it sounds good, then do whatever you like best. After all you are the one who listens to it.
It can play tricks on you sometimes though, since volume level, whether the overall volume, or the volume of just one frequency is
just a little stronger at one spot, it can give the illusion of sounding better when in fact it's more out of balance than it should be.
Based on my own experience, again if using digital audio for sound, I think that Audyssey is a very good tool to use,
especially if your room is not customized for the best acoustic sound.
aracGuate's Avatar aracGuate 04:30 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
This can be very tricky to know what to do.
First of all, the Audyssey is there to use for people who don't have an ideal room for acoustics.
Most people don't have acoustic treatments setup in a room that is made for audio and video.
They have tables/walls/floors/etc that reflect sound and create audio nodes that in general will hinder the audio from being
balanced in all frequencies at all listening positions.
Now... if you have a room that is very ideal for this type of audio, you may not need the calibration that Audyssey provides, but that is rare.
However, if you are using HDMI (or any other digital interface) for audio, then more than likely Audyssey will usually be the best way to go
since no room is perfect, but you just have to make sure that you are using the Audyssey the best way possible.
As others have said (and there are HUGE threads and discussions elsewhere about how to get the best results from your Audyssey),
it can be a bit difficult to get the very best results from the mic and version of Audyssey that is in the 805,
but if you try hard enough and learn the best methods, it can provide very nice "calibrated sound".

Doing your own calibration across all channels/frequencies/positions/etc can be very difficult,
but hey, if you are confident that it sounds good, then do whatever you like best. After all you are the one who listens to it.
It can play tricks on you sometimes though, since volume level, whether the overall volume, or the volume of just one frequency is
just a little stronger at one spot, it can give the illusion of sounding better when in fact it's more out of balance than it should be.
Based on my own experience, again if using digital audio for sound, I think that Audyssey is a very good tool to use,
especially if your room is not customized for the best acoustic sound.
I agree with you.

I have been using Audyssey for years, until now that I knew about the WOW disc. I was very confident with Audyssey and still I am.

Volume level in the surround ch. are the difference. Im giving it a try for some time.
Last night I was watching Jack Reacher from BR (I have seen it via cable TV), The sequence of the snipers shots at the very beginning was awesome, specially the first shot, almost rip my pants off. I thought it blew away my center speaker. Very loud! my dog ran away that instant to hide.

So Ill keep you posted

Thanks for your thoughts!
XxJimmyFalconxX's Avatar XxJimmyFalconxX 08:21 PM 08-08-2014
Hi there. I am currently bargaining with a gentleman on Craigslist for his Onkyo 805. He is asking $200 firm for it. How reliable is this unit? Last time I got a receiver (Onkyo htr680) from a guy on craigslist about 3 years ago the hdmi board failed on me within 5 minutes of getting home, so I am a little bit leary of any craigslist purchases of this size. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 09:23 PM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJimmyFalconxX View Post
Hi there. I am currently bargaining with a gentleman on Craigslist for his Onkyo 805. He is asking $200 firm for it. How reliable is this unit? Last time I got a receiver (Onkyo htr680) from a guy on craigslist about 3 years ago the hdmi board failed on me within 5 minutes of getting home, so I am a little bit leary of any craigslist purchases of this size. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!
Mostly the 805 is very reliable, but there have been some intermittent problems with the HDMI boards failing on them.
For me personally, I would think that if his unit is still going strong after all this time, it will probably be ok.
However there is ALWAYS that "buyer beware" warning when buying used gear.
Theoretically speaking, if the unit is in great shape and has no failures, it's definitely worth $200.
NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 01:31 AM 08-09-2014
1. I got the WOW Disney disc on Blu. ...Only used it once to calibrate the picture on my TV.
- For my sound calibration I use Audyssey MultEQ XT32, a tape measure, a Shack SPL meter, my ears, and my common sense level.
...Plus some patience @ balancing my two subs.
... The Audyssey Setup Guide is another great tool => Audyssey Setup Guide

_______

You Tube

_______

2. When I bought my Onkyo TX-SR805, it was brand new (from my local Onkyo dealer, person to person, in real life); and never had any problem, and my brother is still using it in perfect operational order, with a small fan on top. ...Fixed the dts bomb too.
- You're on your own buying online. ...No warranty.
aracGuate's Avatar aracGuate 05:26 PM 08-11-2014
Guys:
I have been considering upgrading my 805. Still steaming! and having fun with it.
But I know its time to upgrade my receiver.

I'm comparing Onkyos of course: TX-NR929 vs. TX-NR-1010.
The 929 is "capable" to bypass 4k (don't know its worth it), but the 1010 amplifier section is better, and THD in the 1010 is only 0.05 equal to our 805.

Anyone here in the 805 forum has done the jump to a new receiver? and which one do you have, or considering one of the above?

Some help would be appreciated.

A.
Macroblocker's Avatar Macroblocker 08:10 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracGuate View Post
Guys:
I have been considering upgrading my 805. Still steaming! and having fun with it.
But I know its time to upgrade my receiver.

I'm comparing Onkyos of course: TX-NR929 vs. TX-NR-1010.
The 929 is "capable" to bypass 4k (don't know its worth it), but the 1010 amplifier section is better, and THD in the 1010 is only 0.05 equal to our 805.

Anyone here in the 805 forum has done the jump to a new receiver? and which one do you have, or considering one of the above?

Some help would be appreciated.

A.
Hey guys just fixed my 805 display using the step by step DIY procedure outlined here !! everything went according to plan and i have never soldered anything before in my life. thanks again for all the useful info.
I am looking at a new receiver this fall and was wonder what everyone here was eying.
HDgaming42's Avatar HDgaming42 10:01 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJimmyFalconxX View Post
Hi there. I am currently bargaining with a gentleman on Craigslist for his Onkyo 805. He is asking $200 firm for it. How reliable is this unit? Last time I got a receiver (Onkyo htr680) from a guy on craigslist about 3 years ago the hdmi board failed on me within 5 minutes of getting home, so I am a little bit leary of any craigslist purchases of this size. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!
I too would think that if it was going to fail it would have done it by now. I'd suggest adding a fan to at least the top rear right side. Mighty hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post
Hey guys just fixed my 805 display using the step by step DIY procedure outlined here !! everything went according to plan and i have never soldered anything before in my life. thanks again for all the useful info.
I am looking at a new receiver this fall and was wonder what everyone here was eying.
I think a Denon X4000 would be a more than worthy successor. For receivers I seem to bounce between Denon and Onkyo, though a few forum posts have got me interested in Marantz (though I doubt I'd ever end up paying the premium for it).

I love that the 805 thread is still this active BTW!
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 01:41 AM 08-12-2014
^ The 805 is great, but if I were buying a new processor right now I would probably buy a Denon.
Lots of comments out there about Onkyo and their quality control, cutting corners, etc...
NorthSky's Avatar NorthSky 02:49 AM 08-12-2014
Get a new Denon (or Marantz) with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, and Dolby Atmos. Or even better wait next year for DTS-UHD equipped receivers.
Don't buy one now or you'll regret it, wait. ...Enjoy the one you have for now.

And that, is my best advice. ...And by that time we might find more about AccuEQ in them new Onkyo/Integra receivers.
They might have something here that can be professionally calibrated... ...This just ain't over yet...
Macroblocker's Avatar Macroblocker 04:33 AM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ The 805 is great, but if I were buying a new processor right now I would probably buy a Denon.
Lots of comments out there about Onkyo and their quality control, cutting corners, etc...
i am concerned about this same issue and have also been eying Denon
aracGuate's Avatar aracGuate 10:37 AM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post
I am looking at a new receiver this fall and was wonder what everyone here was eying.
Im considering Onkyos TX-NR929 and TX-NR1010. Not looking for Atmos yet! But probably wait until next year to upgrade. Everything seems to be changing very fast.
aracGuate's Avatar aracGuate 10:57 AM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ The 805 is great, but if I were buying a new processor right now I would probably buy a Denon.
100% agree. My 805 is the best Onkyo that I had (3 other models before).


Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Don't buy one now or you'll regret it, wait. ...Enjoy the one you have for now.

They might have something here that can be professionally calibrated... ...This just ain't over yet...
Personally I don't see Onkyos including Audyssey again. Not in the near future. That is the reason why I'm considering to get a 929 before its gone! and no Audyssey at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post
i am concerned about this same issue and have also been eyeing Denon
Denon is a no way for me. I had some bad experiences with Denon in the past. Onkyo is superior. I like its warmth and powerful sound.

Thanks for your comments. Sure Im going to keep those in mind until I make my decision. Maybe is better to wait one more year.
tanman's Avatar tanman 11:36 AM 08-12-2014
^^ The Onkyo 838 had a favorable review in the Sound and Vision Magazine. It does have the power and a few future proof items for a good list price.
seggers's Avatar seggers 06:29 AM 08-13-2014
So I'm back for a bit. When I moved my 805 on I ended up with a Denon X4000 to replace it with. It's the 2013 model, with the 14s coming soon. It does clcik a bit, but it runs a lot cooler and sounds just as good.

I have had a few requests for the DSP and FW files recently. I have been lax with these and will endevour to get to this over the weekend.

Seggers
ricknoberts's Avatar ricknoberts 06:34 PM 08-16-2014
I've had the following problem, related only to the component video input.

When viewing something over component, the picture will occasionally flicker and clip out. At other times, the picture will appear interlaced, like this:



There are no problems with color, but occasionally the picture will cut out completely, only coming back upon a power cycle of the receiver and/or television. The only thing I can think of is that the component card is bad. It doesn't happen on HDMI.

Thanks for any help.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 08:26 PM 08-16-2014
Have you tried a different high quality component cable?

Also make sure the firmware is up to date, for the 805, and for your display, and for whatever other component you may be using like a BD player.

The issue could also be with the display itself. To troubleshoot that, you could try running the component direct to the display instead of through the 805.
However if the issue is not constant, it could take a while to see if the problem ever reoccurs that way.

If you are using an external source like a BD player, it could also be the fault of the player.
Use the same troubleshooting techniques above to isolate where you problem is actually coming from.

Ideally though, HDMI is your best interface for video.
If your display is so old that it doesn't have HDMI then it may be time for an upgrade.
Keep in mind though, you don't have to run your video through the 805.
It may even look better by running it directly to the display and using the 805 strictly for audio.

All of this may or may not apply since you haven't given any real details about your setup and what you are ultimately trying to accomplish.
ricknoberts's Avatar ricknoberts 09:25 PM 08-16-2014
Sorry,

The component video is from my HD-DVR only. I use the 805 as a complete AV solution. My HTPC, 360, and BD are all hooked up through HDMI into the 805. I want to keep the HTPC and BD hooked up through HDMI for the DTSHD and DDHD bitstreaming capabilities. Since the TV usually has 1080i or 720p output at best and doesn't put out high def audio, I decided to use it through the component input.

It has happened both with a local cable HD DVR and a DTV HD-DVR, so it's not the source.

Also, my TV is a Samsung LN52B750. I have ample HDMI if I need it; I just wanted to simplify the setup.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 09:41 PM 08-16-2014
^ Looks to me like you would be better off just using HDMI for everything.
That would actually be more simple than using HDMI and component both.
Maybe it is because the 805 only has 3 hdmi inputs?? If so, a cheap HDMI switch could add more.
Personally I would do that before using component.

Otherwise, I would make sure you try different component cables.
That is more likely to be the issue than anything else.
Also, the 805 can get VERY hot, so it needs plenty of breathing room and even possibly an external fan.
What I mean is, if it's getting too hot, that could also cause the issue.
ricknoberts's Avatar ricknoberts 10:12 PM 08-16-2014
I have a laptop cooling pad upside down hooked up through the additional power input on the back. There is almost a foot of clearance above the unit, along with a large opening in the back. I custom made the entertainment center to fit my components and ensured that the 805 would have plenty of clearance, in part due to its hot nature.

If I were to get a switch, I'd get a digital one so that I could program a macro w/o needing to walk up and push the switch to flip over.

I may just go the route of a switch. I'm certain I've tried other component cables in the past. Either way, I appreciate the suggestions.
JChin's Avatar JChin 11:11 PM 08-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknoberts View Post
I've had the following problem, related only to the component video input.

When viewing something over component, the picture will occasionally flicker and clip out. At other times, the picture will appear interlaced, like this:
...
There are no problems with color, but occasionally the picture will cut out completely, only coming back upon a power cycle of the receiver and/or television. The only thing I can think of is that the component card is bad. It doesn't happen on HDMI.
Hi ricknoberts, does it occur with the other two component inputs as well? And its being upconverted to HDMI Out? Does it occur with Component Out?
First ... 764  765  766 767  768  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop