Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #23011 of 23030 Old 09-19-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 134
^hmmm, had the same problem before but it fixed itself?
That sounds like something in the power supply or the wiring itself might just be loose.
My first thought is that it got some kind of power surge and it got fried,
but saying it happened before and fixed itself, that says to me that it might be fixable.
However, I have seen the 805 going for like 250 on eBay last time I looked several months ago.
I dunno if it would be worth paying someone to fix it or not.
Me personally, I would take the top off and check for loose wiring or connections are the power outlet and power supply.
However, it's not wise to go poking around in there if you don't know what you are doing.
If you do though, make sure the unit is unplugged and and you are grounded so you don't give it a shock on your own.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23012 of 23030 Old 09-26-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off - Thanks to Cambrain for the great post on fixing the display out problem. I've had my 805 for a long time and the display went out about a year ago. I finally bought the resistors and took it to a nearby shop - don't trust my own hands. The tech was reluctant at first, but when I told him it was easily assesible and showed him the photos, he agreed to give it a try. Well, 15 minutes later i had a visible display. I asked what he wanted and he said $10, I gave hime $20 and a handshake. What a day.

I've put everything back together and am in the process of getting reaquainted with this baby. THANKS Again - what a forum.

I do have a quick question - Would using the dimmer (I leave mind on) help alleviate this problem?

Phil
post #23013 of 23030 Old 09-26-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogaza View Post
Would using the dimmer (I leave mind on) help alleviate this problem?
Good question...I have always used the faintest setting due to being in a dark theater room and the display is going strong 7 years later. It can't hurt...
post #23014 of 23030 Old 09-26-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
First off - Thanks to Cambrain for the great post on fixing the display out problem. I've had my 805 for a long time and the display went out about a year ago. I finally bought the resistors and took it to a nearby shop - don't trust my own hands. The tech was reluctant at first, but when I told him it was easily assesible and showed him the photos, he agreed to give it a try. Well, 15 minutes later i had a visible display. I asked what he wanted and he said $10, I gave hime $20 and a handshake. What a day.

I've put everything back together and am in the process of getting reaquainted with this baby. THANKS Again - what a forum.

I do have a quick question -
Would using the dimmer (I leave mind on) help alleviate this problem?

Phil
Yes, put the 'Dimmer' to its lowest setting. Your front panel display will last much longer.

But now that you changed/replaced/fixed the resistor by its appropriate value you shouldn't have any more issue with your display indicator lights.

- Onkyo misstepped on that one; and people using the bright front panel display with the volume control light around the knob were eventually experiencing a display failure (within a year). ...The solution was to use the lowest dimmer setting, for a long lasting front panel display indicator.

Happy reborn 805.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23015 of 23030 Old 09-28-2014, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I do have a quick question - Would using the dimmer (I leave mind on) help alleviate this problem?

Phil
Glad to see so many people found my instructions helpful over the years. I'm glad to report that I have been running this amp since 2008. For over 6 years!. I think I will only upgrade to a new AVR when I switch to 3D. It is one of the most dependable and valuable piece of hardware I have ever own.
post #23016 of 23030 Old 09-28-2014, 02:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambrian View Post
I think I will only upgrade to a new AVR when I switch to 3D. It is one of the most dependable and valuable piece of hardware I have ever own.
Not really a need for that if you get the right player. Many disc players now have two HDMI outputs that can be used to pass audio to an avr,
and separate video to the display. This helps to bypass an avr that might not be compatible with 3D.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #23017 of 23030 Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Yes, put the 'Dimmer' to its lowest setting. Your front panel display will last much longer.

But now that you changed/replaced/fixed the resistor by its appropriate value you shouldn't have any more issue with your display indicator lights.

- Onkyo misstepped on that one; and people using the bright front panel display with the volume control light around the knob were eventually experiencing a display failure (within a year). ...The solution was to use the lowest dimmer setting, for a long lasting front panel display indicator.

Happy reborn 805.
7-years and counting, and I have not dimmed my display (LOUD knocking on wood!!!). I did early on add a pair of fans to the top-rear of the cabinet... I wonder if that has anything to do with it, or if I'm just lucky so far?

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #23018 of 23030 Old 09-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Glad to see so many people found my instructions helpful over the years. I'm glad to report that I have been running this amp since 2008. For over 6 years!. I think I will only upgrade to a new AVR when I switch to 3D. It is one of the most dependable and valuable piece of hardware I have ever own.
Yeah, I've been running an 876 since 2008 and it's been flawless. I saw that resistor failure but never had the problem. I don't like the lit volume knob and never ran it lit up. As a matter of fact, I acquired a 906 in about July with non functioning HDMI board. I attempted the fix as outlined in a thread here, and the things been flawless ever since. The old Onkyos really do rock, but at the same time I'm getting sucked in by Atmos!
post #23019 of 23030 Old 09-28-2014, 01:56 PM

Thanks to all for response.

grubavs: If you don't mind, where did you get you fans? Just felt mine after running for 4+ hours - really hot. I have over 3.5" of overhead space.
post #23020 of 23030 Old 09-28-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Not really a need for that if you get the right player. Many disc players now have two HDMI outputs that can be used to pass audio to an avr, and separate video to the display. This helps to bypass an avr that might not be compatible with 3D.
Exactemente. ...Like the Oppo 103 for example ($399 refurb directly from Oppo).
And Sony has few models too, for approx $180 (street), with them two HDMI Outs.

* Like your new avatar Dave.
Smarty-pants likes this.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #23021 of 23030 Old 09-28-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post
7-years and counting, and I have not dimmed my display (LOUD knocking on wood!!!). I did early on add a pair of fans to the top-rear of the cabinet... I wonder if that has anything to do with it, or if I'm just lucky so far?
You have been 'locky' to not have experienced a failure with your display, so far, methinks.

* The fans have nothing to do with that resistor's wrong value.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #23022 of 23030 Old 09-28-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

grubavs: If you don't mind, where did you get you fans? Just felt mine after running for 4+ hours - really hot. I have over 3.5" of overhead space.
Definitely put @ least one 4" fan on the top right rear corner.
* Just goggle around (Amazon, etc.); they are avail everywhere. Just go to your local computer department store; they have them there, and you just plug it into the rear AC outlet of your 805.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #23023 of 23030 Old 09-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Mine has been in constant use since I bought it new so long ago I cant recall the date. Its been literally around the world due to navy moves and still have not had any problems.

I am planning on getting a new receiver after the Christmas holidays. No idea what brand but with Onkyo dropping Audyssey it probably will not be an Onkyo.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #23024 of 23030 Old 09-28-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Go with Denon, or Marantz.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #23025 of 23030 Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Look back in this thread to posts around # 2173 or so. That's not the ones I use, but the technology has changed quite a bit. Just check it out.

Coolerguys

I wasn't going to use fans at first, as I could see that the 805's fans were acting as designed... extra power output = fan speed increase and 2nd fan came on as appropriate, but changed my mind (luckily) after reading here that these fans were easy to use. In my opinion (as well as others') the sound level was most important since my 805 is right out in the AV room (and I still thought adding fans was an extra, but not necessary decision).

I got mine on ebay. They came as a connected pair with a long enough cord to spread them out, and with a power brick that I plugged into the switched AC outlet on the 805's rear panel, and a 5-speed controller (which allows you to decide between cooling amount and fan noise... I believe mine is set to the second from lowest speed). I've spread them so one is on the top right rear about 1 inch in from the rear edge and 2inches in from the side, and on the left rear about two inches in from the rear and two inches in from the side. I put a thermometer in various places on the top to determine where the most heat was... after reading in this thread that the main source of heat was the HDMI board (I think... again, a long time ago) and not the power supply board. So, 2 fans = cover both bases.

As I recall, the consensus here was that sucking air out the top was the easiest to do, and quite effective, method to cool.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

Last edited by grubavs; Yesterday at 10:00 AM. Reason: correct errors
post #23026 of 23030 Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^ Yep, main heat source is the HDMI board, which I always thought was odd.
If you run the AVR without using HDMI, it doesn't even get warm.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #23027 of 23030 Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

Just picked up an IR Thermometer this afternoon. I knew it was running hot, but never thought it was this HOT.

Here are my temps.(F) after 1 hour: FL = 95.3, FR = 100.7, RL = 103.1 & RR = 110.6.
after 2 hours: 101.9 109.7 107.9 119.3.

Sure got my attention. I also picked up a 4" fan at RS, but I need to get a plug so I can just plug it into the 805 outlet.

Is anyone surprised at these numbers, or is this the norm for Onkyo?

My old HT was with Adcom seperate amps and I had them stacked in an enclosed rack cabinet. Never got hot to the touch.

Phil
post #23028 of 23030 Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Just picked up an IR Thermometer this afternoon. I knew it was running hot, but never thought it was this HOT.

Here are my temps.(F) after 1 hour: FL = 95.3, FR = 100.7, RL = 103.1 & RR = 110.6.
after 2 hours: 101.9 109.7 107.9 119.3.

Sure got my attention. I also picked up a 4" fan at RS, but I need to get a plug so I can just plug it into the 805 outlet.

Is anyone surprised at these numbers, or is this the norm for Onkyo?

My old HT was with Adcom seperate amps and I had them stacked in an enclosed rack cabinet. Never got hot to the touch.

Phil
47°C tops? Not abnormal. I no longer have my temp listings, but I'm sure I remember >50°C (I kind of remember ~60°C, but memory is always suspect).

post #23029 of 23030 Old Today, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

The 805 definitely gets hot, real hot. ...And heat is bad for electronics. It needs @ least one fan on top, if not two, depending of the owner's own usage on average.

* From all the receivers I had over the course of my lifetime, the 805 was the hotter of them all.
...The price we had to pay for all that true power. ...But that heat @ the wrong place; on the HDMI board.
...Which is Onkyo's main achille heel.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #23030 of 23030 Old Today, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yep that is why I bought these fans and no hot issues now.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page