"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 775 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes
post #23221 of 23243 Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post
I looked into it a bit more since I posted that last message and I have that DTS issue with popping on occasion (rare)... sounds like a bullet firing, I'm surprised I haven't blown speakers. I'd love to do the DTS update but there really isn't much newer info out there. I found a thing on AVS from 2008 and all the links were dead.
I have located the DSP update file on one of my computers. PM me an email address and I can send it to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23222 of 23243 Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
DSP instructions but I no longer have the software/CD

I was going to attach the CD instructions pdf but it's too large, even compressed.

However, Onkyo Support Forums has a thread on the DSP update, with an Onkyo email address that still may be active:

http://forums.onkyousa.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnkyoSupportForum
Re: TX-SR705 popping noise - firmware upgrade
Postby ForumMod3 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:17 pm

@DavidAdams
Send an email to Onkyoadmin@us.Onkyo.com with your receiver model number brief description of the problem and your contact information (name address phone number) and you will receive an update to address your issue in the mail.

Rem facias, rem
si possis, recte, si non, quocumque modo, rem.
post #23223 of 23243 Old 03-16-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PM me an email address and I can send it plus instructions to you also.
post #23224 of 23243 Old 03-16-2015, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For future reference and use:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwN...ew?usp=sharing

That is the entire Onkyo update CD (in ISO format) that I was sending out with dongles. The WAV file to burn to fix the DTS-MA bomb as well as instructions are included in that ISO.
Smarty-pants likes this.

post #23225 of 23243 Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4051 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Awesome Jason.
post #23226 of 23243 Old 03-29-2015, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey, not sure if anyone is still watching this thread but I'll throw it out there. My 805 has been a workhorse for the last 7 or so years without much trouble other than having to replace the transistor for the known display issue. Anyway, I just noticed that I'm no longer getting sound from my surrounds and subwoofer in my 5.1 setup. I swapped wires and the speakers are fine, just nothing being output from the receiver. I've tried Audyssey and nothing. Did my workhorse finally bite the bullet or is there something else I can try? Thanks!
post #23227 of 23243 Old 03-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 199
That doesn't sound good. Did you try a reset(hail mary!)?
post #23228 of 23243 Old 03-29-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mine did the same thing and a reset fixed it.
post #23229 of 23243 Old 03-29-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelsen View Post
Hey, not sure if anyone is still watching this thread but I'll throw it out there. My 805 has been a workhorse for the last 7 or so years without much trouble other than having to replace the transistor for the known display issue. Anyway, I just noticed that I'm no longer getting sound from my surrounds and subwoofer in my 5.1 setup. I swapped wires and the speakers are fine, just nothing being output from the receiver. I've tried Audyssey and nothing. Did my workhorse finally bite the bullet or is there something else I can try? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustwvl View Post
Mine did the same thing and a reset fixed it.
• Page 113 (main reset), and also page 116 (unplugging the AC power cord) in your manual.

* We keep track of this thread.
...Let us know too Samuel; so that we can help, with quasi certitude, the next one after you, from this simple solution offered by dustwvl.
post #23230 of 23243 Old 03-30-2015, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the replies, I tried a factory default reset (holding down VCR button while pushing standby button) and then ran Audyssey to no avail, no Audyssey woop woop woop from the surround speakers. I'll try unplugging and see if that helps. I think I've already tried but maybe I need to leave it unplugged for longer.

I'll report back.
post #23231 of 23243 Old 03-30-2015, 03:27 PM

oh and the subwoofer was just unplugged, must have pulled loose the last time I pulled the receiver out. So only issue is surrounds.
post #23232 of 23243 Old 03-30-2015, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Check if they are also connected.
post #23233 of 23243 Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 130
^THIS

I remember my uncle calling me over to troubleshoot why his TV wouldn't work, only to find it was unplugged. I remember telling someone on the forums whose TV picture was all one color to check his component connections, which he dismissed offhand because he "already checked them". Many posts later he admitted that they were tight and didn't get pushed in all the way. I also remember discussing a firmware update problem with my son, and he asked "is the Ethernet cable plugged in?" to which I laughed, and said "of course it is, why would I have unplugged it?". After much time spent chasing down other options, I plugged the cable in.

This is why Customer Service Reps ask all those silly, stupid questions. MOST problems are caused by basic mistakes that are dismissed as "too simple". Start with the obvious, and work your way up. Check the connections AT BOTH ENDS.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #23234 of 23243 Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

...Then his 805 is still going strong after se7en years or so.

* Maybe there is a firmware update coming up for it too; DTS:X ? ... 5.1.2
post #23235 of 23243 Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 219
^ LOL, now you really are dreaming Bob.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #23236 of 23243 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Just enjoying a nice sunny Spring day here Dave.
post #23237 of 23243 Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Before I go diving into this thread, what is the display issue? The video keeps cutting in and out (audio still works) on one of my HDMI ports. Is that what you were referencing?

I figured the most common fix for those HDMI issues was to replace the caps.
post #23238 of 23243 Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youra6 View Post
Before I go diving into this thread, what is the display issue? The video keeps cutting in and out (audio still works) on one of my HDMI ports. Is that what you were referencing?

I figured the most common fix for those HDMI issues was to replace the caps.
I was referring to the display on the receiver itself cutting out which can be fixed by replacing the transistor or capacitor (I forget which is which) on the circuit board. The turorial is buried somewhere in this thread but thankfully it doesn't sound like that's your issue. The fix is simple enough but not for the faint of heart.
post #23239 of 23243 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
^THIS

<<<snip>>>

This is why Customer Service Reps ask all those silly, stupid questions. MOST problems are caused by basic mistakes that are dismissed as "too simple". Start with the obvious, and work your way up. Check the connections AT BOTH ENDS.
I worked 8 years in USAF weather equipment electronics (cloud hight, visibility, radar, etc.) repair w/24-hours standby duty. If I got an "equipment's not working" call in the middle of the night from a weather observer I usually got it solved with three successive questions: 1) Is the On/Off switch set to On? If Yes, then 2) Look at the wall plug... is it plugged in? (the most frequent problem, BTW). If Yes, then 3) Pull out the fuse, is it burnt open? Saved many a cold, wet trip down to the weather station.

Rem facias, rem
si possis, recte, si non, quocumque modo, rem.
post #23240 of 23243 Old Today, 12:24 PM

An update: reset the receiver using both the button combination and unplugging, nothing from surrounds. Tried Audyssey after both and still nothing picked up. I went in and manually turned on the surrounds in speaker configuration, still nothing. HOWEVER, last night I was watching TV and noticed something behind me. I quickly turned it to all channel stereo and lo and behold the surrounds were working! Still working this morning so I decided to run Audyssey to get things tuned up, surrounds detected fine, got the woop woop. But after I saved everything I went to check the level calibration and nothing was coming out of the surrounds no matter what level I put it at! I'm so baffled. Any other thoughts? Maybe something with overheating although that wouldn't explain why it started working last night out of nowhere.
post #23241 of 23243 Unread Today, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
An update: reset the receiver using both the button combination and unplugging, nothing from surrounds. Tried Audyssey after both and still nothing picked up. I went in and manually turned on the surrounds in speaker configuration, still nothing. HOWEVER, last night I was watching TV and noticed something behind me. I quickly turned it to all channel stereo and lo and behold the surrounds were working! Still working this morning so I decided to run Audyssey to get things tuned up, surrounds detected fine, got the woop woop. But after I saved everything I went to check the level calibration and nothing was coming out of the surrounds no matter what level I put it at! I'm so baffled. Any other thoughts? Maybe something with overheating although that wouldn't explain why it started working last night out of nowhere.
Are you sure you are not in Stereo or Mono mode?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #23242 of 23243 Unread Today, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Are you sure you are not in Stereo or Mono mode?
I'm sure, I wish it was that simple
post #23243 of 23243 Unread Today, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Troubleshooting

* Page 113 => The surround speakers produce no sound
* Page 113 => The surround back speakers produce no sound
* Page 114 => Can't get 6.1- or 7.1-channel playback (make sure Powered Zone 2 is Off)

♦ Double check all your Speakers Settings & Listening Modes (Presets).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page