"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 776 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #23251 of 23261 Old 04-24-2015, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
You are listening to stereo music in your small bedroom with these magnificent hi-end loudspeakers, and you're going to power them with a receiver like the Onkyo 805?

Power wise no problem; but if I was you I would give them dignified/refined/clean amplification, like say from a Bryston stereo amp. Then you'll have the lowest distortion and the cleaner bass, midrange and highs articulation and resolution.

www.bryston.com/products/power_amps/4BSST-2.html
Haha, yeah. Unfortunately, I don't quite have the funds for a high-end amp and just need something with enough power to do the speakers some justice. I bought them used and got an amazing deal on the Mozarts so couldn't pass them up. I've been reading up on 2 branches of thoughts here - that given enough clean power (and you're not pushing the amp in any way), that amps should sound the same? And then the other opinion is that amps sound different, even when operating comfortably within spec.

I know the 805 has enough power for my needs and listening levels. In your opinion, by upgrading to a high-end emp, would the audible improvements be significant enough to justify the additional cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23252 of 23261 Old 04-24-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
If you get a quality amp like the one I just suggested in that link; you would notice. ...Your loudspeakers are high enough resolution for you to discern between several amps and their characters.

Don't take my word for it, experience it for yourself; that is the least your speakers deserve, and in the name of the love for ♪ music.
...Both from the amp and the preamp, or a quality integrated amp, for two components in one (simplicity & space).

Also, the fact that you got your Mozarts for a good price (deal) don't mean you need to match them with a receiver that you got for a good price as well.
I'm sure you can get a good deal on a second-hand stereo integrated amp from Bryston. ...That seems more like it to me.
post #23253 of 23261 Old 04-24-2015, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
And if you don't have a stereo preamp, Bryston also makes integrated amplifiers.
The Onkyo 805 has pre-outs, so no pre-amp is necessary.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #23254 of 23261 Old 04-24-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldark View Post
Haha, yeah. Unfortunately, I don't quite have the funds for a high-end amp and just need something with enough power to do the speakers some justice. I bought them used and got an amazing deal on the Mozarts so couldn't pass them up. I've been reading up on 2 branches of thoughts here - that given enough clean power (and you're not pushing the amp in any way), that amps should sound the same? And then the other opinion is that amps sound different, even when operating comfortably within spec.

I know the 805 has enough power for my needs and listening levels. In your opinion, by upgrading to a high-end emp, would the audible improvements be significant enough to justify the additional cost?
Yes, that is the question. Is the audible difference worth 4-5 times the cost of the Onkyo?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #23255 of 23261 Old 04-24-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was thinking of a stereo preamp; for purists, like the OP with his Mozart loudspeakers.

And only him can evaluate performance/value ratio wise. ...Nobody else.
post #23256 of 23261 Old 04-24-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was thinking of a stereo preamp; for purists, like the OP with his Mozart loudspeakers.

And only him can evaluate performance/value ratio wise. ...Nobody else.
Agreed.

post #23257 of 23261 Old 04-24-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

...And I was simply sharing my own thought. ...But sure, the 805 has ample power for his speakers; no problemo here.
post #23258 of 23261 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I have owned this receiver since 08 and after doing the firmware update with the jig and one version of the DTS bomb fix the unit has been pretty rock solid with extensive usage over the years.

Alas there is a problem becoming more common overtime, it is increasing in regularity with at least one of my optical inputs. Specifically with the optical connected from my TV the audio stutters for a while but it will eventually self-correct. Originally it seemed to help to turnoff the unit or switch inputs to fix the issue but now that no longer does anything so I have to wait, if it occurs.

Plus it has happened with at least one of my HDMI inputs that is connected to my PC so it is not solely isolated to that optical input.

Guess my 805 maybe hinting at giving up the ghost.

I have been debating on getting a Denon 4520ci refurb but it seems a lot of folks have been mentioning issues with those units from A4L recently. My budget is limited and 1,000 is the upper limit for now. If I have to seek out a replacement does anyone of have some advice?

Thanks,
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #23259 of 23261 Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When my Onkyo died, I replaced it with a Denon AVR-X4000. Now that the newer models are out, you should be able to find one within your budget. It's been outstanding so far!
post #23260 of 23261 Old Today, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
When my Onkyo died, I replaced it with a Denon AVR-X4000. Now that the newer models are out, you should be able to find one within your budget. It's been outstanding so far!
I opted for the same replacement for my 805 (which I still haven't gotten rid of - maybe I can use it as a 2 channel or prepro). My center channel and sub went out on my 805 (second time for the center). Ended up getting a refurbished X4000 on Amazon from an authorized Denon refurb dealer for a good price. Been happy with it so far.
WERA689 likes this.

post #23261 of 23261 Old Today, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
On mine, the display went out first. I knew from this thread how to fix that, so I kept using it. Then the HDMI board went out. Both are known issues, and as I understood things, those boards are hard to come by any more. I still have mine, but I have no idea where I'd ever use it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page