"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 787 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #23581 of 23604 Old 02-03-2016, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by G I Joe View Post
I bought the Integra 50.4 because at the time it was close to the TX-SR805 spec wise IMO. At the time of purchase, it was sold to me at a good price. The newer model had been released & the Installer/Dealer looked out for me. Before I got the 805 fixed, I was about the pull the trigger on an Integra 50.5 for about $450, & I hadn't begun to haggle yet..lol.
One of my worst fears is, one day soon, my 805 has to go to the "amp graveyard", and I really don't know what amp/brand to consider to replace it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23582 of 23604 Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracGuate View Post
One of my worst fears is, one day soon, my 805 has to go to the "amp graveyard", and I really don't know what amp/brand to consider to replace it...
I know what you mean. They don't make them like they used too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #23583 of 23604 Old 02-04-2016, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracGuate View Post

Sound quality wise IMO my Integra is a little better. As I stated before, spec wise it's pretty close if you compare them side by side. The Audyssey is upgraded on the Integra to MultEQ XT32.
As far as noticing if the amp sections are equal performance wise. I think they are. When the 805 was first bought I had it on the upstairs system that has infinity beta 50's, & a Svs Pb 12+2, so the 50's were not ran at full range & the Integra 50.4 seems to provide the same level of loudness with a little better sound. The 805 is now in the basement & is powering a pair of Cerwin Vega's Vs 150's, full range & boy do they bang. The get about as loud as my pro audio 2way 15's on a Peavey amp, & they sound good. No great sound stage, but Clear & Loud.
If my 805 couldn't be repaired, I'd would have probably would have went with the Integra 50.5 I ran across. It still used Audyssey & it's suppose to be 4ohm stable. That's my experience as limited as it is. I don't know if the new offerings from Onkyo are near the same, not saying the aren't, but opting out of Audyssey & lesser amp section isn't something I looked forward to. P.S., the Cerwin Vega's are a 3way config., an no Audyssey is used, just a slight bass gain of about 3, didn't need any treble boost. For me, they sound better than it did with Audyssey activated.
post #23584 of 23604 Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM

Just for Sh*ts & Giggles here are the Onkyo 805 specs, http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass

Integra 50.4 specs, http://www.integrahometheater.com/Pr...urce=prodClass

If you hit their respective features & specs tab, it give you their info.

Last edited by G I Joe; 02-04-2016 at 11:08 AM.
post #23585 of 23604 Old 02-04-2016, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The 805 is over 25% heavier and draws a maximum current knocking on 20% more than the Integra - that tells a story in itself.
post #23586 of 23604 Old 02-04-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
The 805 is over 25% heavier and draws a maximum current knocking on 20% more than the Integra - that tells a story in itself.

Ok, so maybe the heat sinks aren't as heavy, sometimes advances in technology can compensate, working more efficient.The Integra has High Quality Extruded Aluminum Heatsinks, 2 independent power supplies where the 805 doesn't. Does this mean it's a better receiver because of this, I doubt it, but that doesn't mean it's not as good either. I have both & the Integra is a better sounding unit. and since I wasn't running the 805 on a 4ohm load, have the mains crossed over, minimal current draw difference wasn't an issue in my case. Now, if I were powering my Cerwin Vegas full range & without a subwoofer, MAYBE there would be some minimal difference. My Beta 50's are an easy speaker to run. I have no audio file or low impedance speakers on the Integra. I do believe that the 805 may have a better amp section, but because I own both receivers, I can certainly say sound & performance wise, the Integra is capable of driving an 8ohm speaker as well as the 805, & sound a little better doing it with a few extra or updated features.
This is why I feel that the Integra 50.4 is a close alternative for the Tx sr805.
P.S. I don't understand how current draw, or less of it, makes the 805 better. I thought that meant the Integra is more efficient. I know when I was in car audio, those old Sherwood 70/70 amps had a very high current draw. Very non-efficient & running 4 of them meant an alternator upgrade because of the high current draw, but again, I'm no expert on the workings of receivers & my lack of knowledge may be just that.

Last edited by G I Joe; 02-04-2016 at 01:16 PM.
post #23587 of 23604 Old 02-04-2016, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
This is why I feel that the Integra 50.4 is a close alternative for the Tx sr805.
P.S. I don't understand how current draw, or less of it, makes the 805 better. I thought that meant the Integra is more efficient. I know when I was in car audio, those old Sherwood 70/70 amps had a very high current draw. Very non-efficient & running 4 of them meant an alternator upgrade because of the high current draw, but again, I'm no expert on the workings of receivers & my lack of knowledge may be just that.
current Integras does not include Audyssey too unfortunately. AccuEQ is their "new wonder".
I was considering Integras too last year, (same dealer) but no Audyssey.
Maybe, but just maybe, Marantz SR6010 is my future option.
I really don't know. It includes Audyssey platinum suite.
But that's gonna be after my 805 goes to amp heaven!
post #23588 of 23604 Old 02-04-2016, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Just for Sh*ts & Giggles here are the Onkyo 805 specs, http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass

Integra 50.4 specs, http://www.integrahometheater.com/Pr...urce=prodClass

If you hit their respective features & specs tab, it give you their info.

The Onkyo has a bigger power supply and thus weighs over 10 lb. more.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #23589 of 23604 Old 02-04-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs95033 View Post
Correct. If I remember the instructions correctly, once you see "Updating..." on your Onkyo front panel, you hit Play on the Oppo. If your Oppo is configured to do auto-play and auto-resume, you may have to also hit Stop to play the update from the beginning, or just disable auto-resume to avoid that trouble. Also, if you have a lot of custom settings in your Onkyo (like manual equalizer levels), they'll all get reset to factory default as soon as you put it into update mode, so jot them down first.
I did the update successfully thank you!

post #23590 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
The Onkyo has a bigger power supply and thus weighs over 10 lb. more.
A 10 lb. power supply,??, Really? Ok, I guess I have to take your word on that one, but since you know the weight of it's inerts, tell me how much more the heat sinks also weigh? If you read my last statement I believe I mentioned that the 805 could have a stronger or better, (however you may say), amp section, but as someone who has them both, the Integra delivers the same power to my beta's, sounds better, & oh yea, I forgot, doesn't get anywhere as hot as the 805 under the same playing conditions. The 805 is a very good receiver, but again, by me having them both & being able to compare them, not just stat wise but also by performance, IMO, the Integra is just as good power wise & sounds better. I do agree the omission of Audyssey from their current line up isn't the best thing, but I'm not even using it on the 805 because it didn't improve the sound with the Cerwin Vegas, in fact , for me it was worse. Maybe if I hade a sub running with them it would have worked better, but it took away the BOOM that Cervin's are suppose to have. I'm willing to bet that most Cerwin Vega VS 150 owners would agree that they are closer to pro audio than refined listening, but they sound good.
TX sr805 forever....lol or until board failure.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb...
That's why I compared them both myself & just didn't rely on posted stats or opinions of people that own neither. Again, it is MY OPINON that's based on MY experience.

Last edited by G I Joe; Yesterday at 05:33 AM.
post #23591 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I think someone needs a Snickers bar...

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #23592 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Wow, I think someone needs a Snickers bar...
Lol....I see what you mean. I'm not feeling some kinda way but I must admit it looks that way in print. I respect everyone's opinion & input. I was just stating what I observed between the two.
You mentioned that the power supply was about 10 lbs. on the 805. How did you come to that conclusion?. The Integra has two independent power supplies. Do you think maybe the two could be at least as good as the one?. I'm not being sarcastic, I really would like your thoughts on it. I don't pretend to know it all & conversation can be informative. Thanks for your thoughts & looking forward for more.
post #23593 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A 10 lb. power supply,??, Really? Ok, I guess I have to take your word on that one, but since you know the weight of it's inerts, tell me how much more the heat sinks also weigh? If you read my last statement I believe I mentioned that the 805 could have a stronger or better, (however you may say), amp section, but as someone who has them both, the Integra delivers the same power to my beta's, sounds better, & oh yea, I forgot, doesn't get anywhere as hot as the 805 under the same playing conditions. The 805 is a very good receiver, but again, by me having them both & being able to compare them, not just stat wise but also by performance, IMO, the Integra is just as good power wise & sounds better. I do agree the omission of Audyssey from their current line up isn't the best thing, but I'm not even using it on the 805 because it didn't improve the sound with the Cerwin Vegas, in fact , for me it was worse. Maybe if I hade a sub running with them it would have worked better, but it took away the BOOM that Cervin's are suppose to have. I'm willing to bet that most Cerwin Vega VS 150 owners would agree that they are closer to pro audio than refined listening, but they sound good.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb...
That's why I compared them both myself & just didn't rely on posted stats or opinions of people that own neither. Again, it is MY OPINON that's based on MY experience.

You are very welcome to your opinion. I will ask the Mods to rename this the AVOForum, (I think the Onkyo TX-NR838 is a closer comparison to your Integra, IMHO.)

In the meantime, this is still the AVScience forum, and there are differences in amp classes. We'll just cover Class A, B, and A/B. Put simply, Class A amps are very inefficient, and get HOT, but they sound the best. Class B amps are more efficient, and run cool. The problem with Class B amps is the very high noise and distortion that they have. Class A/B tries to marry the two, and get the best of both worlds. Class A/B are kind of a middle ground because of this. most cheaper amps are Class A/B.

Class A amps are more expensive because of the extra parts, such as high current power supplies (needed for extra power because they are so inefficient), and larger heat sinks (because they get so HOT). My Class A Marantz (RIP) had a heat sink tunnel with two high powered fans just to keep it from burning itself up, but was the sweetest sounding amp...

BTW, the reason your Integra is so similar to the Onkyos is because Onkyo owns Integra.

Last edited by Augerhandle; Yesterday at 07:35 AM.
post #23594 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lol....I see what you mean. I'm not feeling some kinda way but I must admit it looks that way in print. I respect everyone's opinion & input. I was just stating what I observed between the two.
You mentioned that the power supply was about 10 lbs. on the 805. How did you come to that conclusion?. The Integra has two independent power supplies. Do you think maybe the two could be at least as good as the one?. I'm not being sarcastic, I really would like your thoughts on it. I don't pretend to know it all & conversation can be informative. Thanks for your thoughts & looking forward for more.

I'm sure they are both great designs. The 805's power supply draws more current, and the receiver weighs 10 lb more than your Integra. It follows that the bigger power supply is needed for that current, which explains most, if not all of the weight difference (and the HEAT).

post #23595 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I'm sure they are both great designs. The 805's power supply draws more current, and the receiver weighs 10 lb more than your Integra. It follows that the bigger power supply is needed for that current, which explains most, if not all of the weight difference (and the HEAT).

Please excuse the fact I don't understand about the power supply drawing more current. I'm really not equipped with the knowledge to even get into that discussion. I was under the impression that the current draw wasn't a factor, & by the Integra having two power supplies, it would be more efficient. It's all good. I love em both & I do agree that one would be hard pressed to find a 805 equivalent at a mid level price point. Thanks for the feedback.
post #23596 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

Quote:
You are very welcome to your opinion. I will ask the Mods to rename this the AVOForum, (I think the Onkyo TX-NR838 is a closer comparison to your Integra, IMHO.)

BTW, the reason your Integra is so similar to the Onkyos is because Onkyo owns Integra.
Duh...lol..Yea, I knew that.. That's what drew me to the Integra, then I was able to audition one at a HT installers facility. He even let me bring my Infinity's in & listen to the receiver.
That's what sold me. I was hesitant because I knew it was Onkyo's upshoot brand & I was worried about the HDMI Board issues. My 805 had just gone bad at the time & Onkyo wouldn't do anything at that point to fix it. I don't regret the move now, it panned out well in all aspects.
post #23597 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Please excuse the fact I don't understand about the power supply drawing more current. I'm really not equipped with the knowledge to even get into that discussion. I was under the impression that the current draw wasn't a factor, & by the Integra having two power supplies, it would be more efficient. It's all good. I love em both & I do agree that one would be hard pressed to find a 805 equivalent at a mid level price point. Thanks for the feedback.

No harm, no foul (I got all the power supply comparison info (current draw, weight) from your links). I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Integra.

post #23598 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xrock View Post
I'm buying a used unit, the guy lost the mic for it, can I just get either one from ebay or amazon and it will work? Will only Audyssey mics work?
You dont need mic, adjust it by your ear

Sent from my G620S-L01 using Tapatalk
post #23599 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Quote:
No harm, no foul (I got all the power supply comparison info (current draw, weight) from your links). I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Integra.
Oh..ok. I thought that current draw info from the sites was for the whole unit itself as in just being on basically. I thought you had maybe tested it somehow while playing & maybe the readings would fluctuate depending on how it was being driven & you compared them. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm learning.
P.S... to everyone here thanks for being patient with me as I try to understand things.
I'm off work for a minute so I got a little time on my hands & I figured this is a good place to hang out at.
post #23600 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In the meantime, this is still the AVScience forum, and there are differences in amp classes. We'll just cover Class A, B, and A/B. Put simply, Class A amps are very inefficient, and get HOT, but they sound the best. Class B amps are more efficient, and run cool. The problem with Class B amps is the very high noise and distortion that they have. Class A/B tries to marry the two, and get the best of both worlds. Class A/B are kind of a middle ground because of this. most cheaper amps are Class A/B.

Class A amps are more expensive because of the extra parts, such as high current power supplies (needed for extra power because they are so inefficient), and larger heat sinks (because they get so HOT). My Class A Marantz (RIP) had a heat sink tunnel with two high powered fans just to keep it from burning itself up, but was the sweetest sounding amp...

And how about D amps? They run cooler but how is the sound compared to A/B?

post #23601 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On my 805 with my SVS Primes I do not have Audyssey engaged because it takes away the tactile feeling from the sub. A good old spl meter and tape measure did the trick.

post #23602 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
And how about D amps? They run cooler but how is the sound compared to A/B?

Class A, B, and A/B are linear amps. Class D are switching amps. I deliberately didn't mention Class D amps. This is not the proper forum, but it depends on what you're using them for. I think Class D is fine for subwoofers.

post #23603 of 23604 Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 6350 Post(s)
Liked: 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by zookarma View Post
You dont need mic, adjust it by your ear

The 805's matching mic (small black hockey puck style) is good for speaker's distances and levels. ...Calibration.
And it's good for the subwoofer electrical delay introduced by its crossover...can't do that with a tape measure.
And it's fine too for Room EQ, with Audyssey MultEQ XT...equalizing each speaker plus subwoofer with Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filters.

By ear can't do, but with a tape measure for the speakers (not the sub) and with a Radio Shack analog SPL meter plus an audio test disc, you can get the distances and levels. ...But the mic can do too, and more.

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
post #23604 of 23604 Old Today, 12:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 6350 Post(s)
Liked: 3072
...Regarding the Onkyo TX-SR805 versus the Integra DTR-50.4 AV receivers:

• Onkyo 805 weights 50.9 pounds
• Integra 50.4 weights 39.5 pounds
→ The difference is 11.4 pounds

I would say that the main transformer of the 805 is few more pounds heavier, and the front face with its door a little heavier, and perhaps the heat sinks by couple pounds? The overall size? ...Few more things here and there and the 805 ends up to be 11.4 pounds heavier.

- The power consumption (current draw) is a little more from the 805 (9.5 A versus 8.1 A).

• The Integra 50.2 weights the exact same as the 50.4 - so the measurements below are a good gauge:

Integra DTR-50.2 A/V Receiver HT Labs Measures

HT Labs MeasuresFive channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 110.8 watts
1% distortion at 134.1 watts
Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 107.5 watts
1% distortion at 127.7 watts
Analog frequency response in Direct mode:
–0.05 dB at 10 Hz
–0.01 dB at 20 Hz
–0.01 dB at 20 kHz
–2.80 dB at 50 kHz
Analog frequency response with stereo signal processing:
–0.09 dB at 10 Hz
–0.03 dB at 20 Hz
–0.07 dB at 20 kHz
–69.90 dB at 50 kHz

This graph shows that the DTR-50.2’s left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 147.4 watts and 1 percent distortion at 172.4 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 200.4 watts and 1 percent distortion at 259.8 watts.
Response from the multichannel input to the speaker output measures –0.05 decibels at 10 hertz, –0.01 dB at 20 Hz, –0.04 dB at 20 kilohertz, and –2.84 dB at 50 kHz. THD+N from the CD input to the speaker output was less than 0.007 percent at 1 kHz when driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load. Crosstalk at 1 kHz driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load was –75.12 dB left to right and –70.53 dB right to left. The signal-to-noise ratio with an 8-ohm load from 10 Hz to 24 kHz with “A” weighting was –106.92 dBrA.
From the Dolby Digital input to the loudspeaker output, the left channel measures –0.02 dB at 20 Hz and –0.15 dB at 20 kHz. The center channel measures –0.02 dB at 20 Hz and –0.16 dB at 20 kHz, and the left surround channel measures –0.01 dB at 20 Hz and –0.17 dB at 20 kHz. From the Dolby Digital input to the line-level output, the LFE channel is +0.08 dB at 20 Hz when referenced to the level at 40 Hz and reaches the upper 3-dB down point at 96 Hz and the upper 6-dB down point at 116 Hz.—MJP

Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...YV34LTtuzKh.99

Onkyo 805:

Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver

HT Labs Measures: Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V ReceiverFive channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1 percent distortion at 162.0 watts

1 percent distortion at 184.5 watts

All channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1 percent distortion at 120.4 watts

1 percent distortion at 151.7 watts

Analog frequency response in Pure Audio mode:

–0.07 dB at 10 Hz; –0.02 dB at 20 Hz

–0.03 dB at 20 kHz; –0.24 dB at 50 kHz

Analog frequency response with signal processing:

–0.34 dB at 10 Hz; –0.12 dB at 20 Hz

–0.43 dB at 20 kHz; –38.47 dB at 50 kHz

image: http://cdn.soundandvision.com/images...208bwonk.6.jpg

This graph shows that the TX-SR805’s left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 181.8 watts and 1 percent distortion at 212.3 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 327.6 watts and 1 percent distortion at 369.0 watts.

Response from the multichannel input to the speaker output measures –0.07 decibels at 10 hertz, –0.02 dB at 20 Hz, –0.03 dB at 20 kilohertz, and –0.23 dB at 50 kHz. THD+N from the CD input to the speaker output was less than 0.004 percent at 1 kHz when driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load. Cross-

talk at 1 kHz driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load was –90.08 dB left to right and –87.96 dB right to left. The signal-to-noise ratio with 2.83 volts driving an 8-ohm load from 10 Hz to 24 kHz with “A” weighting was –108.17 dBrA in Pure Audio mode.

From the Dolby Digital input to the loudspeaker output, the left channel measures –0.02 dB at 20 Hz and –0.31 dB at 20 kHz. The center channel measures –0.02 dB at 20 Hz and –0.33 dB at 20 kHz, and the left surround channel measures –0.02 dB at 20 Hz and –0.32 dB at 20 kHz. From the Dolby Digital input to the line-level output, the LFE channel is +0.11 dB at 20 Hz when referenced to the level at 40 Hz and reaches the upper 3-dB down point at 96 Hz and the upper 6-dB down point at 116 Hz.—MJP

Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...UM8HhSIhk3G.99
Augerhandle likes this.

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison

Last edited by NorthSky; Today at 12:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors