"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 790 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #23671 of 23691 Old 06-14-2016, 04:39 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolootbs View Post
<<<snip>>>>Often people with "warm" or "laid back" speakers prefer going this route, since their highs are already rolling off due to the natural response of their speakers. On the other hand, people with speakers considered to be "bright" often lean towards modes that use Audyssey's reference curve or leaving re-eq on in THX modes, since otherwise the mix of a movie soundtrack can be too harsh and treble-y.
I use Polk RTi12 for R & L. They don't seem to be either warm or bright when being used in stereo with no processing... but my ears are quite old (comparatively to the majority of AVS folks, I'm guessing) and highs are no longer my strong suit Anyway, movie soundtracks seem dull and lifeless to me if re-eq is ON. I always use THX...

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23672 of 23691 Old 06-14-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post
I use Polk RTi12 for R & L. They don't seem to be either warm or bright when being used in stereo with no processing... but my ears are quite old (comparatively to the majority of AVS folks, I'm guessing) and highs are no longer my strong suit Anyway, movie soundtracks seem dull and lifeless to me if re-eq is ON. I always use THX...
I'm runnin' RTi12s for my mains, as well...

BTW grub -- I visited Half Moon Bay once on a work-related business trip, and LOVED IT. We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, and I remember going to spots like Cameron's Pub and witnessing the pumpkin festival...wish I could afford to live there.

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
post #23673 of 23691 Old 06-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I'm runnin' RTi12s for my mains, as well...

BTW grub -- I visited Half Moon Bay once on a work-related business trip, and LOVED IT. We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, and I remember going to spots like Cameron's Pub and witnessing the pumpkin festival...wish I could afford to live there.
A lot of the San Mateo County coastside is not all that expensive (compared to almost any town on the bay-side). The commute is one of the reasons, all the roads out are one lane each direction. Another is the minimal infrastructure. Both are why some of us live here, though. Well, that and the Pacific ocean!

BTW: the Ritz is in a particularly expensive housing area

post #23674 of 23691 Old 06-14-2016, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A lot of the San Mateo County coastside is not all that expensive (compared to almost any town on the bay-side). The commute is one of the reasons, all the roads out are one lane each direction. Another is the minimal infrastructure. Both are why some of us live here, though. Well, that and the Pacific ocean!

BTW: the Ritz is in a particularly expensive housing area
I'm gonna pass that info about the "not all that expensive" real estate along to my wife...she should be thrilled...

Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
post #23675 of 23691 Old 06-28-2016, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up a Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp for a really good price from Audiogon. It's a tube preamp. I'm trying to figure out how to integrate it into A HT setup and still use it for 2 Channel Music listening. My main fronts are Dahlquist 20i speakers. Center is a Klipsch KLF-C-7 which can handle up to 600 watts. It's a monster. Surrounds are Walsh Ohm 2 speakers. SVS PB10 Sub. The Dahlquist 20i speakers crave power and are somewhat inefficient 86db sensitivity.
My intention is to pick up a Amplifier probably SS A&B CLASS that's about 250-300 wpc to bring the Dahlquist 20i to life. Is their anyway to use the GCP preamp in tandem with the Onkyo 805 for both HT and 2 channel listening ? The preamp does not have HT Bypass. I'd like to use a Preamp and amplifier for listening to 2 channel and still have the preamp and amp available for 5.1 home theatre application. I would use the Onkyo 805 to drive the center and surrounds.
post #23676 of 23691 Old 08-03-2016, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Nothing to add except last year I finally purchased a cooling fan for my 805...this thing still cranks and continue to love it. I bought my Onkyo about 8 years ago and never did any updates or anything to it....wondering if there is something I missed, I do recall a secret menu or something awhile back but never looked into it. Any tips are appreciated but maybe should not tamper with it at this age?
post #23677 of 23691 Old 08-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwahoo View Post
Nothing to add except last year I finally purchased a cooling fan for my 805...this thing still cranks and continue to love it. I bought my Onkyo about 8 years ago and never did any updates or anything to it....wondering if there is something I missed, I do recall a secret menu or something awhile back but never looked into it. Any tips are appreciated but maybe should not tamper with it at this age?
I put a fan in the top of the shelves that the Onkyo sits in (the Onkyo's on the top shelf and the fan is about 7" above the unit).
I then made a cardboard duct that covered the top of the Onkyo so that all of the air flow created by the fan was drawn through the cabinet of the Onkyo.
Works well, although the fan is a bit noisy.

I'm really curious as to how and where you installed your fan.
Did you install it inside the cabinet, or mount it on top?
I remember some guys were mounting a computer fan on top - on the right rear corner I think. Not sure if that's correct, but the best place is where the greatest heat is, which I think is over the video processing circuits.
post #23678 of 23691 Old 08-04-2016, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Nordo, my installation is very simple. The 805 sits on a middle shelf and there is about 2.5 inches of clearance until the next shelf above the receiver (the X1 cable box sits on the uppermost shelf). I purchased a single AC Infinity cabinet fan and simply have it sit right on top of the receiver where the most heat is generated, towards the back and right rear corner as you mention. The cabinet has a door which I keep open so we can operate the cable box, receiver, bluray player and CD player....so am guessing the fan swirls the heated air up and around the unit which then escapes to the front. The receiver seems to operate at a cooler overall temperature. Nothing fancy with this setup but it seems to work so far. Last year on this forum the wholehearted recommendation was to get some sort of fan. Knock on wood but the 805 still works just like when I first bought it. Now if and when I upgrade to a 4k tv it may be time for something else but we have a 75 inch 1080P Samsung which we really enjoy sitting about 15 feet away. Just basic 5.1 sound but it definitely is very enjoyable, hope this helps.
post #23679 of 23691 Old 08-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwahoo View Post
Nordo, my installation is very simple. The 805 sits on a middle shelf and there is about 2.5 inches of clearance until the next shelf above the receiver (the X1 cable box sits on the uppermost shelf). I purchased a single AC Infinity cabinet fan and simply have it sit right on top of the receiver where the most heat is generated, towards the back and right rear corner as you mention. The cabinet has a door which I keep open so we can operate the cable box, receiver, bluray player and CD player....so am guessing the fan swirls the heated air up and around the unit which then escapes to the front. The receiver seems to operate at a cooler overall temperature. Nothing fancy with this setup but it seems to work so far. Last year on this forum the wholehearted recommendation was to get some sort of fan. Knock on wood but the 805 still works just like when I first bought it. Now if and when I upgrade to a 4k tv it may be time for something else but we have a 75 inch 1080P Samsung which we really enjoy sitting about 15 feet away. Just basic 5.1 sound but it definitely is very enjoyable, hope this helps.
My equipment is all getting fairly old as well. But like you, I am still happy with everything.
We plan on selling the house in the next 3 or 4 years, so I will probably leave everything here in my home theatre, then buy all new equipment for the new home.
However, I probably won't have a dedicated home theatre or the same level of equipment. But will definitely be 4K(min) screen (currently have a projector), a good sound system, and some acoustic treatment.
post #23680 of 23691 Old 08-08-2016, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm totally with you 805 guys, even though I am rockin' a 605 -- this thing has been an absolute WORKHORSE since the day I bought it (when it first came out) and it hasn't shut down on me or let me down yet. I'm STILL rocking most of the gear I bought back then, too -- a Sony SXRD rear projection display, OPPO BDP-83...
asere likes this.

2-CHANNEL:
post #23681 of 23691 Old 08-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quote:
I'm totally with you 805 guys, even though I am rockin' a 605 -- this thing has been an absolute WORKHORSE since the day I bought it (when it first came out) and it hasn't shut down on me or let me down yet. I'm STILL rocking most of the gear I bought back then, too -- a Sony SXRD rear projection display, OPPO BDP-83...
Congrats on the rear projection SXRD success... my KDS-R60XBR1 died of the dreaded yellow-takes-over-all (an ugly death)! Good news was Sony gave me a very good deal on a KDL52XBR5 replacement which, while not as good a picture as my Samsung, is a real fine 55" TV (OTOH, do not get me started about my Samsung Blu-ray player experience).
IntelliVolume likes this.

post #23682 of 23691 Old 08-10-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6814 Post(s)
Liked: 3392
How's the Rio games on it? Is the diving pool's water color blue or green?
azz7686 likes this.

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
post #23683 of 23691 Old 08-10-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Congrats on the rear projection SXRD success... my KDS-R60XBR1 died of the dreaded yellow-takes-over-all (an ugly death)! Good news was Sony gave me a very good deal on a KDL52XBR5 replacement which, while not as good a picture as my Samsung, is a real fine 55" TV (OTOH, do not get me started about my Samsung Blu-ray player experience).
Thanks on the congrats -- I'm sorry to hear about your XBR going out on you; I understand those were fine sets as a step up from my A2020-series...

Yeah, as far as I know, this TV isn't going anywhere yet so far as issues popping up; it's only on its FIRST replacement lamp (since the original blew out) and though I recently got the message that this lamp is approaching the end of its life, there are no optical block or other problems to report (knock on wood). I really want to get a much larger 4K set, but with OPPO not releasing a player yet to watch the native 4K discs that are released and the prices on very big 4K displays, I just can't justify it at the moment.

Which brings me to your Samsung experience -- from what I have heard, Samsung's Blu-ray players shouldn't be touched with a 200-foot cattle prod (their TVs are another thing, and are among some of the most respected in the industry -- absolutely jaw-dropping picture quality on em; I myself would like a 4K Samsung but can't afford one in the size range we're shopping in)...truth be told, after experiencing the DVD upscaling performance of my OPPO BDP-83 (something that's important to us because we still watch a TON of DVDs), I wouldn't buy from another manufacturer (with regard to Blu-ray player makers)...thus why I've been waiting for the company to release their 4K deck...

2-CHANNEL:
post #23684 of 23691 Old 08-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quote:
(clip)Which brings me to your Samsung experience -- from what I have heard, Samsung's Blu-ray players shouldn't be touched with a 200-foot cattle prod (their TVs are another thing, and are among some of the most respected in the industry -- absolutely jaw-dropping picture quality on em; I myself would like a 4K Samsung but can't afford one in the size range we're shopping in)...truth be told, after experiencing the DVD upscaling performance of my OPPO BDP-83 (something that's important to us because we still watch a TON of DVDs), I wouldn't buy from another manufacturer (with regard to Blu-ray player makers)...thus why I've been waiting for the company to release their 4K deck...
Me too! 'Course, then I'd need to get a 4k screen

I bought the 1st BD player available then, the Samsung whatever... because of Amazon price matching then I ended up with a pretty good price, until I found out the darned thing didn't want to actually open BDs. Same time bought a HDDVD which worked so well (still does, actually) and Amazon ended up not charging me a dime after several returns & price changes.
Anyway, I switched to Oppo and never looked back... I'm a permanent Oppo consumer...

post #23685 of 23691 Old 08-11-2016, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Me too! 'Course, then I'd need to get a 4k screen

I bought the 1st BD player available then, the Samsung whatever... because of Amazon price matching then I ended up with a pretty good price, until I found out the darned thing didn't want to actually open BDs. Same time bought a HDDVD which worked so well (still does, actually) and Amazon ended up not charging me a dime after several returns & price changes.
Anyway, I switched to Oppo and never looked back... I'm a permanent Oppo consumer...
I'm totally on board as an OPPO customer as well (though my 83 has been developing some problems; understandable, I suppose, in that I use the player almost daily since we've owned it); after I saw the difference in DVD upscaling and HDMI audio bitstreaming performance between my first-generation Panasonic BD10A and the 83, there was no going back.

2-CHANNEL:
post #23686 of 23691 Old 08-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
How's the Rio games on it? Is the diving pool's water color blue or green?
Now THAT is funny

post #23687 of 23691 Old 08-12-2016, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6814 Post(s)
Liked: 3392
They closed the diving pool today, so swimmers cannot practice in it...they have to use an indoor trampoline for practice.
The reason is because the water needs to be calm in order to return to blue. They added a doze of proper chemicals, and it takes that condition and a certain time to return normal.

Only in Rio.

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
post #23688 of 23691 Old 09-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
They closed the diving pool today, so swimmers cannot practice in it...they have to use an indoor trampoline for practice.
The reason is because the water needs to be calm in order to return to blue. They added a doze of proper chemicals, and it takes that condition and a certain time to return normal.

Only in Rio.
There's an interesting story in today's Washington Post about that pool... apparently what lane you're in determines how fast you'll go... especially troubling for 50m races...

post #23689 of 23691 Old 09-11-2016, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have owned this unit since 2007 and I just lost one of my HDMI inputs and am not wanting to reset the whole system. I will just get a 5x1 switcher and see if it is enough for now.
post #23690 of 23691 Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I made the mistake of seeing what the 805 goes for on ebay these days. Yikes!
I will be replacing mine with something else soon that has newer audio codecs and higher than 7.1 processing,
but for the prices they are selling for I will never get rid of mine.
I will use it in a secondary system or it will even work great as a 7 channel amp if need be.
The amps in it are quite awesome as everyone here already knows.
grubavs and azz7686 like this.
post #23691 of 23691 Old 09-18-2016, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

I'm having some trouble with my 805. I've got it in an open rack and have had it 8.5 years. My mother-in-law lives with us and the TV runs pretty much all day and evening, so it's got a lot of hours on it.

A couple months ago we were watching a movie and it tripped out for the first time. I took the case off, vacuumed out what I could, blew out what I couldn't. Bought a pair of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017PMM990

and daisy chained them together. Set for low speed and used the wall adapter to connect it to the switched outlet. A couple weeks later we watched BvS extended edition at higher than usual volume to test it out. Problem solved.

Today I go to watch some TV and I notice that the front LED display is not working. I figure our 5-year-old may have bumped it, so I played with the dimmer button, display button, pure audio, direct audio, etc. Nothing I do will bring it back on. Other than that, it works fine. Then, while I'm doing that, I notice the fans aren't running. I plug them into the wall to test them, and the fans work. I tried unplugging the 805 but still no display and switched outlet is not working.

I see there are directions out there to fix the LED display. But I'm not sure what happened to the outlet or how to fix it. I looked at the manual for specs on the outlet, and it says 1A. Looked up the specs on the fans, and it's 1.56A. I have two of them, but I have them both on low, so I'm not sure if I caused this myself or the unit is just dying a slow death. I know I've seen people talk about plugging subs into their switched outlet, never considered that 6 PC fans would be a problem, especially when the product page says it can be plugged into a USB port.

Anyway, trying to decide what I should do. Just seems like a lot of problems all of a sudden. I can live without the display, since I'm running 3.1 right now and kerp it in one mode. I can live without the switched outlet working, since the only thing I've ever tried to plug into it has evidently overstressed it. If the failing stops here, I can keep going with it. I'd really rather not upgrade a receiver by itself, but do it in conjunction with moving to UHD at some point.

Has anyone else had similar experience? Given the hours on it, is a sudden onset of problems a sign of things to come?

Last edited by stevenmh; 09-18-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors