"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 791 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 116Likes

post #23701 of 23710 Old 11-15-2016, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
^ There have been reports early on in this thread about issues with HDMI switchers and not all work the same with this old 805. Maybe searching the thread for switchers might yield an answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23702 of 23710 Old 11-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB123 View Post
My issue I do not believe is just an Onkyo TX-SR805 issue but rather a handshake issue between multiple HDMI connections. But I felt this forum to be the best offering for an educated response. Over the weekend I did some changes to my HDMI inputs as I have 5-HDMI sources, and unfortunately one dead 805 HDMI port. So I am down to 2 HDMI input ports on the 805. I have one 805 HDMI input port connected to an HDMI switcher. I also moved my Xfinity Cable-TV as an input into this switcher box. I can get everything to work fine...video, audio. When I shutdown the system at the end of the day, I do not power-down the Cable box, but I do power-down the 805.So the Cable-HDMI input into the HDMI-switcher remains powered on, but it ends there as switcher output to the 805 is powered-off. When I restart the system (i.e., the next day), the video comes on through the 805 (and then to the TV), but there is no sound. I then have to play around, such as selecting a different switcher input port. Eventually when I return back to the cable-TV input, I can get the audio working. A pain.

It appears like when the 805 is powered-up, it could be the switcher box is not passing the audio through. Or perhaps the 805 is not detecting the HDMI 'audio' signal coming from the switcher for the Cable-TV HDMI although the video is getting passed through. Any thoughts on this? Something I should check, or some 805 setting perhaps? Thanks.
I use a 3<->1 HDMI switch. I've been using one kind or another since I bought my 805. I also switch off all power to the 805, the switch, and the units connected to the switch. I do not use a Comcast set-top box (I use a TiVo). I have not experienced your problem. Does the problem resolve if you manually switch inputs on the 805?

Not my president!
post #23703 of 23710 Old 11-15-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB123 View Post
My issue I do not believe is just an Onkyo TX-SR805 issue but rather a handshake issue between multiple HDMI connections. But I felt this forum to be the best offering for an educated response. Over the weekend I did some changes to my HDMI inputs as I have 5-HDMI sources, and unfortunately one dead 805 HDMI port. So I am down to 2 HDMI input ports on the 805. I have one 805 HDMI input port connected to an HDMI switcher. I also moved my Xfinity Cable-TV as an input into this switcher box. I can get everything to work fine...video, audio. When I shutdown the system at the end of the day, I do not power-down the Cable box, but I do power-down the 805.So the Cable-HDMI input into the HDMI-switcher remains powered on, but it ends there as switcher output to the 805 is powered-off. When I restart the system (i.e., the next day), the video comes on through the 805 (and then to the TV), but there is no sound. I then have to play around, such as selecting a different switcher input port. Eventually when I return back to the cable-TV input, I can get the audio working. A pain.

It appears like when the 805 is powered-up, it could be the switcher box is not passing the audio through. Or perhaps the 805 is not detecting the HDMI 'audio' signal coming from the switcher for the Cable-TV HDMI although the video is getting passed through. Any thoughts on this? Something I should check, or some 805 setting perhaps? Thanks.
Plug the power cord for the switch into the outlet on the back of the 805
tanman likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #23704 of 23710 Old 11-15-2016, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Plug the power cord for the switch into the outlet on the back of the 805
Doooh! With all the cable movements I did recently, this one alluded me. In other words, when you power-down the system, also power-down the switch. On power-up, everything starts up in a refreshed mode. So far the testing works. Hopefully it continues. (Thanks for waking me up! )

Thanks for the other replies also. Hopefully I can put this to rest.
post #23705 of 23710 Old 11-15-2016, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb123 View Post
doooh! With all the cable movements i did recently, this one alluded me. In other words, when you power-down the system, also power-down the switch. On power-up, everything starts up in a refreshed mode. So far the testing works. Hopefully it continues. (thanks for waking me up! )

thanks for the other replies also. Hopefully i can put this to rest.
yw

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #23706 of 23710 Old Today, 07:54 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I made the mistake of seeing what the 805 goes for on ebay these days. Yikes!
I will be replacing mine with something else soon that has newer audio codecs and higher than 7.1 processing,
but for the prices they are selling for I will never get rid of mine.
I will use it in a secondary system or it will even work great as a 7 channel amp if need be.
The amps in it are quite awesome as everyone here already knows.
I'm in the same boat.

Just upgraded my TV to a 75" Sony XBR850D from a 73" Mitsubishi 73735.
It's been a long time since I setup my home theater and I've never had one problem with my trusty Onkyo 805. It's been pretty much rock solid but I fear that using it as my AV receiver with the new TV and the XBOX One S will possibly cause problems. I know it doesn't support HDMI 1.4 as I could not pass 3D for my current set through it so I had to bypass the receiver for 3D. Not that big of a deal.

With that said, if you were to replace the 805 what model would you go with? Have Sony receivers come back with regard to quality? If I remember right they weren't very strong other than the ES line (was kinda pricey) back when I got the Onkyo.

Fred
post #23707 of 23710 Old Today, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticNJ View Post
-snip
With that said, if you were to replace the 805 what model would you go with? -snip
Fred
I was thinking to get the Marantz 6011. This 805 is still going strong but I am slowly loosing HDMI input channels. And even with a complete open cabinet with fans the 805 has been shutting down lately after 2+ hours of watching video. I'll wait till I get no video out of it before I retire it for sound only!
post #23708 of 23710 Old Today, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I was thinking to get the Marantz 6011. This 805 is still going strong but I am slowly loosing HDMI input channels. And even with a complete open cabinet with fans the 805 has been shutting down lately after 2+ hours of watching video. I'll wait till I get no video out of it before I retire it for sound only!

Oh no, that's stinks! Loved my 805, such a beast. Only reason I changed was new cabinet was smaller and didn't fit it (ended up getting a 636). In fact, I still have my 805 in the box stored away in closet. Anyone interested in it? I know not the right forum but you all are THE right people who would want it. I'd rather go to one of you then to someone who wouldn't really appreciate it.
post #23709 of 23710 Old Today, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evena View Post
Oh no, that's stinks! Loved my 805, such a beast. Only reason I changed was new cabinet was smaller and didn't fit it (ended up getting a 636). In fact, I still have my 805 in the box stored away in closet. Anyone interested in it? I know not the right forum but you all are THE right people who would want it. I'd rather go to one of you then to someone who wouldn't really appreciate it.
I hate the thought of selling it. It works really well still and is an open space so no need for fans although it does get warm after two hours of watching a movie. I hate to think that it's only going to sell for $50 or sit in a closet wasting away.
post #23710 of 23710 Old Today, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticNJ View Post
I hate the thought of selling it. It works really well still and is an open space so no need for fans although it does get warm after two hours of watching a movie. I hate to think that it's only going to sell for $50 or sit in a closet wasting away.
I am thinking of using it to drive the outdoor speakers and the other rooms. Runs cool for music!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors