"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 794 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 274Likes

post #23791 of 23793 Old 09-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 134
^^ If the speakers are connected directly to it, I'd first check to see if the wires are not getting shorted. It could happen during vibrations. Just a thought!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23792 of 23793 Old 09-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside View Post
I'm having issues with my 805 shutting off during high dynamic scenes. We don't spend as much time in the HT as we used to but We were up there last week watching Superman (1978) version on Amazon and during a most of the explosion scenes, the Receiver would shut off. Very consistent. Then again last night while watching the new Wonder Woman. I can't remember how long I've owned this thing but it has been flawless from the beginning. I've even had a small PC fan running through the AC outlet on the back since I got it.

Watching TV, sports, TV movies is just fine. Probably because the audio range is fairly narrow.

Should I do a factory reset? I'd really prefer to not set up the AVR again if I don't have to.
I understand not wanting to set up an AVR from factory status. On the other hand, if it's a hardware problem you're looking at setting up a new AVR anyway, so you don't have anything to lose. I would try checking the wiring as suggested above. If that doesn't work, you could open it up and blow out accumulated dust. If that doesn't work, you could try the reset and then run a couple loud movies back to back prior to going through all the detailed setup. That way if there's no fixing it you'll know before you go through all that effort.

Mine started having a similar problem last year when it was 8 years old. (But my mother-in-law lives with us and she turns the TV on in the morning and runs it until bedtime, so lots more runtime than your average 8-year-old receiver.) Started shutting off during movies but fine otherwise. I opened it up and cleaned out the dust as best I could, then bought some fans to lay on top that I powered from the rear outlet. Fired up Dawn of Justice extended cut, ran it extra loud, and it played all the way through. Thought I was good, but a couple weeks later the front display went dead. While I was kneeling in front of it pressing buttons trying to get my display back, I noticed I didn't hear the fans running. Turns out the rear outlet died as well, so now the fans are plugged into the wall and run 24/7. About a month ago it started this thing where you turn on the TV and there's no sound, the volume is all the way down, and when you hit the volume up button it increases very slowly. I had it set in the menu to start off at a normal listening volume for all sources, so no idea why that suddenly stopped working. I imagine one day in the not too distant future we're going to try to turn it on and it won't do anything.

Hope you're able to nurse yours back to health.
post #23793 of 23793 Old 09-18-2017, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^ If the speakers are connected directly to it, I'd first check to see if the wires are not getting shorted. It could happen during vibrations. Just a thought!
That was it. 2 separate speakers. One that was loose, one where the cables weren't even attached to the surround. (come to find out, the kids had knocked that speaker off the wall and tried to hide it form me)

Thank you. It's always good to have an independent review

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page