HDMI Audio - DVI TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK - Here's the situation:

I have a Sony LX1R 32" TV connected to a Sony STR-DG910 receiver and the source is a Scientific Atlanta 4250HD Cablebox.

I'm using the receiver for all audio because the TV is monitor only. The video comes through great, no audio.... I have followed all the directions to setup HDMI audio on the cable box. Does this have anything to do with the HDMI to DVI cable I am using to get from the receiver to TV?

Help! is it my imagination, or is HDMI more trouble than it's worth?

If anyone else has a similar setup working, please let me know so I know there is hope - I'm now using component and optical to get my video/audio through the receiver....

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm not following something because your explanation isn't too clear.

You're running a HDMI-DVI cable from the receiver to the TV which is a monitor. DVI doesn't carry audio so no audio can be passed by a HDMI-DVI cable, the DVI connector has no audio connections so even if audio is passed to the cable at the HDMI end, it won't come out at the DVI end. It doesn't matter in this case since the TV is a monitor and therefore has no speakers.

So, the question is did you try HDMI from the cablebox to the receiver? You haven't said whether you tried this or not. If you did try it, did the receiver get the audio signal? I don't know your receiver and cablebox but possible problems that could occur are:

- the cablebox is sending a PCM signal and the receiver is expecting a bitstream signal or vice versa. If one is set to PCM and the other to bitstream, then the receiver won't recognise the incoming signal and you won't get any sound. Make sure they're both set to the same thing or the HDMI input at the receiver is set to 'auto' if it has that setting. That way the 2 boxes can actually talk to each other and something might get passed.

- you may have to tell the receiver which input you want the HDMI sound passed to. My Denon 2807 is like that. It has 2 HDMI inputs, HDMI1 and HDMI2. You can assign the HDMI input to any of the 7 or so standard inputs such as DVD, TV, etc. Until you do that assignement, the receiver doesn't know what to do with the HDMI audio and video signals and ignores them. You may need to do something on 2 separate setup menus, one for audio and one for video. Check your manual for how to hook up and assign HDMI inputs.

- the receiver has DVI inputs rather than HDMI. In this case all the receiver can receive is video and you need to use a digital i/c or analog i/cs from the cablebox to the receiver for the receiver to get the audio.

- the receiver is incapable of separating the audio from the video signal of the HDMI input and only provides HDMI switching, passing the audio signal through with the video to the TV. In this case you need to make a separate audio connection as in the previous paragraph.

I think that covers the options apart from the possibility that there may be a HDMI handshake problem between the cablebox and the receiver and the audio just drops out because of that. Check with your cable supplier and/or Sony service to see if there are any known problems with the combination of your particular receiver and cablebox.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2007, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. To clarify - I have the cablebox hooked up to the receiver which I was hoping would provide the Audio to the Receiver, and pass the video through to the monitor. I setup the HDMI on the receiver to play the audio through the AMP, so it should work. I'll have to look into the the various settings you referred to....

I was affraid that since the TV is DVI (and probably not HDCP compliant) that the audio wasn't playing because the HDMI signal wasn't terminating correctly....

I'll also call cablevision (though they are usually less than helpful).

Thanks
post #4 of 8 Old 06-09-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Don't know why I didn't do this in the first place, but connected HDMI to Receiver and then disconnected TV and Audio worked fine. It must have something to do with HDCP. Anyway - now running video through HDMI and Audio through Optical....
post #5 of 8 Old 06-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
That will work, but it isn't the best way to go if you need the receiver to do HDMI switching.

One thing you need to consider, and something I did mention, is that some receivers don't extract the audio from the HDMI signal. In effect all they're doing is acting as a HDMI switcher and passing everything to the display, so that you need to use a separate audio connection anyway. I just read a comment about an Arcam receiver that worked like this so perhaps that's also the case with your Sony. Check your manual. If this is the case for your receiver and the HDMI video switching is of value, reconnect the HDMI from the player to the receiver, but also keep the optical connection for the audio. Otherwise leave things as they are.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbennett674 View Post

Don't know why I didn't do this in the first place, but connected HDMI to Receiver and then disconnected TV and Audio worked fine. It must have something to do with HDCP. Anyway - now running video through HDMI and Audio through Optical....

The source device, in this case your cable box, is required to set up copy protection through all the interverning devices all the way to the final device, in this case your display. Some of these cable boxes don't actually implement that and thus only work if their HDMI is directly connected to the display. Yours apparently doesn't have that problem.

But some of these devices have ANOTHER problem, which is that they incorrectly assume the display will handle HDMI audio even if there is a receiver in the middle. In your case that would mean the cable box would mute the HDMI audio when your DVI display is connected and powered on because a DVI display can't receive audio over that DVI connection. With no DVI display connected, the cable box sees just the receiver and determines that the receiver can handle HDMI audio.

This would be a bug in the cable box. In the course of setting up the connection the cable box should learn that the receiver will accept HDMI audio and should keep the HDMI audio going despite the fact that a DVI display is on the other side of the receiver.

Alternatively, it could be a bug in the receiver which is sending the wrong information to the cable box. When the cable box interrogates the receiver as to whether it will accept HDMI audio, if the receiver says NO because there is a DVI display connected to its output then that would be a bug in the receiver.

You can figure out whether it is the cable box (likely) or the receiver (unlikely) that's at fault here by trying a different HDMI source device, perhaps an HDMI DVD player, and/or trying a different model of HDMI receiver.

================================

EDITED TO ADD: Some receivers have a setting that adjusts whether HDMI is simply passed through (audio not extracted) when there is a display connected to their HDMI output. Look for that in your receiver and if you find it, turn it off. That may make the receiver accept the HDMI audio even when your DVI display is attached. This is unlikely to be your problem since your HDMI audio is working when you disconnect the DVI display, but check for it anyway.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-16-2007, 03:30 PM

I am having the exact same problem with my new STR-DG810, except the source is a PS3. I'm using a HDMI->DVI converter to go to my HDTV. With the TV plugged in, no sound. With it unplugged, sound works fine.

If you try to configure the HDMI audio output with the TV plugged in, the PS3 says that the device does not support HDMI audio. If you unplug the TV, it automatically detects all the output formats the PS3 supports except AAC.

So given that it's happening with both the cable box, and now a PS3, I'm guessing it's a bug in the receiver.

BTW, the 810 has a setting for HDMI audio that says either TV+AMP or just AMP. This sounds like the pass-thru setting mentioned by a previous poster. This setting seems to make no difference with this problem however.

I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle of calling Sony about it. Hrm...

UPDATE: After talking with Sony reps. They pointed me to this FAQ:

http://www.iq.sony.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=CISCV3,Company={46BFA530-E01F-4F7C-B98B-69C2AA06051B},Case=Obj(515733),TS=externalv4,T=case.tem,VARS ET_MODELNUM=STRDG810,VARSET_OBJ=515733,VARSET_TOP=TRUE,works tage=all,question=ref(QC)rd(1),question=ref(QB)rd(1)

So it would seem I'm out of luck using HDMI for the video. I'm going to try two things in the following order: 1) Try using component from the receiver to the TV. Then 2) Try using component outs from the PS3 for video, and HDMI for the audio. I only really cared about HDMI for the audio anyway so I could get higher quality audio from Blu Ray, etc.

--sklug

Steven Klug

.com
post #8 of 8 Old 06-18-2007, 02:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bummer your Sony AVR doesn't handle this.

I'm sure glad my Marantz SR7001 does.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page