Receiver / Speaker Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-19-2001, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am upgrading my equipment to have a full home theater since up until now it has been two channel with a 32" TV. I am getting a Mitsubishi 65" HD TV and am hoping that you can help me narrow down the receiver and speakers.

I was originally looking at the Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX but now am trying to decide between the Denon AVR-4800 and Yamaha RXV-3000. The Denon had THX which the Yamaha does not though I am not sure that I will need it.
I currently have two Boston Acoustics VR950's and was thinking of using them as the rears and adding a pair of BA VR965's with their powered subwoofers in each and a center channel. There are thoughts that this will give a fuller sound than many of the satellites available.

I also listened to the Atlantic Technology 270 system which I liked a lot. I listed to the Definitive Tech speakers but they are not as bright as I like. I have also listened to the Paradigm Studio 40's and Monitor 3's and like them both a lot even though I do not hear much of a differnce between the two with the entire 5.1 surround setup.

Please give me some suggestions on what you all would recommend. Your help is appreciated.

Bill

Equipment:
B&K AVR307 Receiver
Martin Logan Aerius Mains
Martin Logan Cinema Center
Boston Acoustics VR-950 Surrounds
Mirage BPS-150 Sub
Mitsubishi WS-65907
Sony DVP-S330 DVD
Monster HTS3500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-19-2001, 10:30 PM

I have the Boston VR965's. I use them as my main from speakers. I am eventually going to add a pair of VR950's for the rears. If you are looking for speakers that sonically match what you have I would recommend staying with Boston Acoustics. Although through some trial you might be able to find some speakers that match. The 965's have 2 power 8's in them that work quite well with the sub out on most receivers. You will get more bass if you add an additional powered sub to the setup, like I did, but I think you will be pleased with just the towers for quite some time. Hope this helps! Phil
post #3 of 4 Old 01-20-2001, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Phil,

Is the bass good with the 965's even though they are smaller than most traditional dedicated subs? Also, did you use a BA center for the system?

Bill

Equipment:
B&K AVR307 Receiver
Martin Logan Aerius Mains
Martin Logan Cinema Center
Boston Acoustics VR-950 Surrounds
Mirage BPS-150 Sub
Mitsubishi WS-65907
Sony DVP-S330 DVD
Monster HTS3500
post #4 of 4 Old 01-20-2001, 11:00 AM

I have found the powered sub in the towers to have a suprisingly good amount of bass. I only had them hooked up for about a day without the additional sub because of the fact that I already had a sub. I doubt that I would have spent the money for the additional sub had I purchased the speakers in the other order, the towers before the sub. Since I already had one why not use it. I have a BA VR12 center speaker and couldn't be happier, other than its cost. Helps to know people in the business to help reduce the costs.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page