I'm considering adding a stereo preamp (tube possibly) into my system.
I'm using a Sony TAE9000ES as my pre/pro and though I'm completely satisfied with it's HT performance I'm interested to hear how a quality preamp may improve stereo performance (My main interest) I'd like to hear opinions on such a setup, also, how important is it to find a model which features a "processor loop"
0. separate systems, this is ideal since you want different room acoustics for each situation.
1. get a stereo preamp w/unity gain option and route accordingly.
2. use the XLR inputs on your amp for stereo & use the RCAs for HT -- manually switch (or somehow install a remote switch) -- if your amp has such features...this route also requires a source that is either volume controlled or a passive attenuator to control it.
3. get some sort of switch box for the preamp to amp connections
4. get a HT processor w/analog passthrough
In the same boat -- I have a Lexicon that I'm going to bypass for music.
I'm still deciding which of these options I will take in the meantime, likely to be #1/#2.