Voters: 452. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought it might be useful to quantify the extent of the speaker popping issues with the Onkyo TX-SR605 & 805 models. If you're so inclined to call Tech Support on this issue it may useful to be able to state how many of your colleagues also have the issue.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also if we could narrow it down to maybe a particular "Batch" or a "Vendor" or a "Color"?

Mine is 605, Black bought from Crutchfield. Haven't opened it yet to post popping feedback ..but will update soon

Update- No popping
post #3 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parry View Post

Also if we could narrow it down to maybe a particular "Batch" or a "Vendor" or a "Color"?

Mine is 605, Black bought from Crutchfield. Haven't opened it yet to post popping feedback ..but will update soon

Absolutely, any data is great data. Throw in a serial # or batch # if you've got it.

post #4 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 05:12 AM

Got my receiver hooked up Friday and popping continues through last time I used my HT (yesterday).
Popping happens via 5.1 (7.1 also?) PCM input after receiver warms up (30-40 min usage)
Don't have a batch or serial, but it's a Silver from J & R
Superb ventilation - sitting on top of A/V cart with no cover at all.
post #5 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

Absolutely, any data is great data. Throw in a serial # or batch # if you've got it.

It would be very interesting to note if the popping only happens, or is more frequent when using HDMI input for the audio.

In other words, has ANYONE who has had the audio popping problem tried using optical or coaxial and had the problem go away?

I have a thought that there may be some sort of HDMI incompatibility that is related to the problem. Just a thought.

I've seen some nasty HDMI issues between the DirecTV HR20/HD-DVR and HDTVs. Many have been cured, some still persist.

For the record, I have no popping, I AM using HDMI for my audio (but I also know that I was one of a minority at first who never experienced any HDMI issues with my HR20 and Sammy HL-R5667W TV, either.

N.B. I just saw a post in the owners thread that someone who is having the popping has tried all audio inputs (hdmi/optical/coaxial) and they still have the problem. While it's only a sample of one, it pretty well kills my theory.

Someone who has the popping AND is using HDMI for audio input to the 605, PLEASE try going to OPTICAL or COAXIAL digital input and let us know if the problem goes away.

...hasan, N0AN
post #6 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan View Post

It would be very interesting to note if the popping only happens, or is more frequent when using HDMI input for the audio.

In other words, has ANYONE who has had the audio popping problem tried using optical or coaxial and had the problem go away?

I have a thought that there may be some sort of HDMI incompatibility that is related to the problem. Just a thought.

I've seen some nasty HDMI issues between the DirecTV HR20/HD-DVR and HDTVs. Many have been cured, some still persist.

For the record, I have no popping, I AM using HDMI for my audio (but I also know that I was one of a minority at first who never experienced any HDMI issues with my HR20 and Sammy HL-R5667W TV, either.

N.B. I just saw a post in the owners thread that someone who is having the popping has tried all audio inputs (hdmi/optical/coaxial) and they still have the problem. While it's only a sample of one, it pretty well kills my theory.

Someone who has the popping AND is using HDMI for audio input to the 605, PLEASE try going to OPTICAL or COAXIAL digital input and let us know if the problem goes away.

Mine is only happening with 5.1 PCM input and there is no other way to input this signal than HDMI. All other sources seem to be fine, as well as bitstreaming through HDMI up to 5.1 (TrueHD/DTS-HD sources non-existent)
post #7 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 AM

I bought my receiver from circuit city (in store) about a week ago and haven't had any popping issues.
post #8 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 11:47 AM

Mine has a lot of popping from the second I turn on the system from the time I turn it off. this includes all types of connections (HDMI, Optical as well as the 5.1 analog inputs from my HD-DVD player. It has now been over 24 hours since I bought it. It is going right back to the store. I will try another one though.
post #9 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe as part of the poll response folks can mention whether or not their unit gets good ventilation. This might be heat related in closed or confined enclosure environs.
post #10 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
805 from J&R
5 days in service
Good to excellent ventilation (3" on top, nothing on sides)
All sources HDMI (bitstream)
7.1 speakers in service
No popping sounds ever experinced.
post #11 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A couple of hours on the new 605. No Popping.

post #12 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mrgibbles, where was that bought from? and what color?
post #13 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 06:39 PM

805 (black) from J&R. Just got it setup a couple of hours ago and have been testing it out. Two HDMI sources and one analog source. I've been changing inputs and listening modes frequently and so far no popping of any sort. I'll report back if I hear any over the next few days. Had some minor trouble getting OSD over HDMI at first (crazy static colors flickering on the TV), but after power cycling the AVR it works fine.

XBL - thedanggang
PSN - the_dang_gang
post #14 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I experienced the popping noise for a day or so but it went away. A few people may be able to guess where I purchased mines from .

Making the most out of what I got.
post #15 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 06:54 PM

I might have heard a pop once or twice when I was first fooling around with it but since running set up I have watched some hd on cable and bits of a few hd-dvd's and had no popping at all from my 805.
post #16 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 07:07 PM

It's not popping, it's an audible handshake verification. It's a feature.

Does the pop occur w/ no speakers attached? There's your fix.

I'm just joking w/ you guys .
post #17 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 07:54 PM

I just received my 605 today and laying on on the top of the packaging when I opened the box was a single sheet of paper that appears to be an addendum to the manual.

The sheet of paper has two points one of which is titled "Important note regarding HD DV and Blu-ray Disc Playback". Under the title it says "With some HD DVD and Blu-ray discs, a noise may be heard during playback. This may occur when the audio format changes during playback. It is not a malfunction".

Does the popping seem to occur during HD DV or Blu-ray playback?

So far no popping from mine. It is sitting very quietly in the box.
post #18 of 469 Old 06-11-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C. Johnson View Post

Mine has a lot of popping from the second I turn on the system from the time I turn it off. this includes all types of connections (HDMI, Optical as well as the 5.1 analog inputs from my HD-DVD player. It has now been over 24 hours since I bought it. It is going right back to the store. I will try another one though.

I picked up my 2nd one a few hours ago and watched Pirates 1. I have to admit that I was really impressed, and yes there is no popping on this unit. So I guess it is a crap shoot for the popping problem. I noticed that both machines were from the same batch.
post #19 of 469 Old 06-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Silver

From J&R

5.1 speaker setup (Polk RM6750)

Using binding posts on the receiver (no banana plugs or anything else)

Toshiba Upconverting DVD player (HDMI In)

Nintendo Wii (Component In)
post #20 of 469 Old 06-13-2007, 09:34 AM

Sounds like JR receivers are not being effected by this. Please keep posting and also specify where you bought your 805.

I ordered mine from JR also but will not be here until Tuesday Next week.
post #21 of 469 Old 06-13-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Is this poll distinguishing between the switching noise and the popping noise? I would like to know if everyone is hearing the switching noise and is it bothering them. I hear it at the reciever and in the rear back speakers. If no one else hears the switching then I need to exchange mine.

Mine came from J&R.
post #22 of 469 Old 06-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

i'm hearing switching AND popping from my black 805 purchased from jr. only hearing the popping when starting blu ray and hddvd, though, so i don't consider it a problem per se. i also had the addendum in the box that zimbot mentioned.
post #23 of 469 Old 06-13-2007, 10:32 AM

To clarify my earlier post (two days ago), I do hear a noise from my speakers under the following circumstances:

1) Beginning of BD playback (via PS3 over HDMI)
2) When the 805 detects a change in audio format (e.g., switches from All Channel Stereo during the menu of a BD, to multichannel PCM on the actual soundtrack of a BD).

Once a BD is actually playing, there is no more popping or switching, so the initial noise doesn't bother me. If the 805 made continuous or random pops or clicks (via the speakers) during playback then I would consider this a problem, but my unit does not.

I've wondered (unscientifically) whether this noise is related to HDCP handshaking somehow, given that I've only heard it during with BDs. When I view video trailers saved to my PS3's HDD, for example, there is no switching noise. Then again, perhaps this is due to the fact that the 805 detects multichannel PCM output from the PS3's XMB (menu screen), and doesn't change/switch sounds formats when viewing other content (e.g., movie trailers) in the XMB. So my conclusion would be that the popping/switching sound I hear is simply a product of the AVR detecting and changing to a different audio format. I wish this process were silent, yes, but it's a minor annoyance AFAIAC.

To recap, this is a black 805 purchased from J&R.

XBL - thedanggang
PSN - the_dang_gang
post #24 of 469 Old 06-13-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I imagine if I went over to a friends house to hear his new reciever and it commenced to audibly and some what loudly click on and off that I would say man that it to much noise for a reciever to be making. I would not be impressed with that reciever at all especially after having a reciever that was quiet (even though it did not have HDMI). Even so HDMI has got to many wrinkles for me. It has caused to many to agonize over it's implementation. Now it's at my door step. I'm thinking of sending this Onkyo 605 back to New York City.
post #25 of 469 Old 06-13-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Is this poll distinguishing between the switching noise and the popping noise? I would like to know if everyone is hearing the switching noise and is it bothering them. I hear it at the reciever and in the rear back speakers. If no one else hears the switching then I need to exchange mine.

Mine came from J&R.

The switching noise or click should be from inside the AVR. If you're hearing a speaker POP, thats not normal, the clicking when input formats change is normal behavior. Mine doesn't click as loud or as bad as other brands/models I have heard.

post #26 of 469 Old 06-15-2007, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Black 805 from J&R
7.1 Speaker setup
HD A2 on HDMI
PS3 on HDMI
XBox 360 on Component (out through HDMI)

No popping or other issues so far.
post #27 of 469 Old 06-15-2007, 07:14 AM

Black 805 from J&R. (Thanks for your help, lrstevens421! The recceiver did come on Sat as ordered.)
PS3 via HDMI.
I am getting popping from rear speakers. Happens when format changes (menu to movie, etc.) Other than that, I'm loving this unit.

Is there any chance of the pop damaging the speakers? I'm using Klipsch surrounds.

Sony KDS-60A2000
Onkyo 805 (w/ Speaker Popping)
PS3
Mission Front - Bi-Amped
M&K Center
Klipsch Surround
post #28 of 469 Old 06-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

This reminds of old Onkyo 838 receiver. It was one of the very first Dolby Digital receivers, came out about 6 months before the DVD format launched. It worked great with laserdiscs, but when I picked up my first DVD player, the receiver did not handle dolby digital mono or stereo correctly (only 5.1) at all (just static noise).

I sent the player in for a firmware update, and it came back with the popping problem. Everytime the player lost the dolby digital feed, the unit would make a loud popping noise as it retracked the audio. Very annoying when transversing through a DVD menu that was necessary before playing a movie.
post #29 of 469 Old 06-16-2007, 10:50 AM

I am getting persistent popping on my 605 (black). Hooked it up yesterday and it has popped during the 2 HD-DVD's I have watched. Everything is hooked up via HDMI.

Bought from Value Electronics and have already emailed Robert about returning or if there is a known fix. Very annoying.
post #30 of 469 Old 06-16-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have a worn out emerson stereo that sometimes makes random crunching sounds!
Never owned anything onkyo.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page