post #3001 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs0 View Post

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is a duplicate question/post. I did some searching and couldn't see any summary/FAQ of what to do soon after getting this receiver. I got the receiver last week and have it set up and working pretty well other than the fact I can not get it on to my wireless network. I suspect it has something to do with my apple airport express although i am not completely convinced given i have used the airport express to bridge wireless<->ethernet before (on an old xbox).

So, can anyone summarize quickly or point me to where I should be looking for what to do? The amp does not seem to be pulling an IP address, so I gather I might need to reset it (how to do?, lose all settings i think) and try again? After that, and assuming i can get an IP address, do i then need to initiate a bunch of firmware updates? Finally, after that i am done?

Lastly, quick question - i have a denon dvd 2930CI hooked to the amp via HDMI and the amp going out via HDMI to a pioneer 50" plasma (PDP-5070). Question is, do i have the dvd do the audio decoding or the amp? Likewise for video scaling etc, should i have the amp do that or the TV? Not sure how to set it either way though in the settings.

thanks!!!
Brett

I was able to update using Aiport Extreme base station transmitting to a MacMini. I then shared the MacMini's ethernet connection and connected an ethernet cable to the Denon. I've now successfully updated the Denon twice with that setup. (the point is not that my setup is the way to go, but that using Airport and Mac devices should work just fine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 AM

Hello,

I am now totally confused after reading manuals and searching threads...I just picked up the 3808CI receiver this week. I have hooked up a sony bdp-s300 blu ray player to the receiver using an HDMI cable. I have a 7.1 speaker setup as well. So, what should the audio settings be on the player and the receiver? The s300 for audio has AUTO or PCM. If I select PCM, the receiver displays multi channel, and auto displays whatever the audio is ie dts or dolby. What should the dvd player be set to? What should the receiver then be set to? I've played a lot of different audi tracks and I see all the speakers displayed on the right side of the denon display, but I never see the two surround back speakers on the left side of the display...so I'm really confused now. I do have the receiver set up to use 2 speakers for the back. Any advice is greatly appreciated....
post #3003 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrim View Post

I'm in the process of updating my buddys firmware on the 3808 (he doesn't have high speed internet) and right now it seems to be about halfway complete. Once the firmware update is complete, is there any special steps I need to take to complete the update? Meaning, does the unit automatically power down, do I have to power the unit down, the manual doesn't tell you any of these things as far as I can see? Thanks a million.

My only advice, is to check for a new firmware immediately after you complete. My 3808 was brand new last week and I went through this process about 5 times before i got the message "update: latest" ... in other words it looks like you have to through a series of updates to get to the current versions.
post #3004 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 12:35 PM

Firmware updated first time in about 1 hour, maybe less. Once I went in to check the version, "LATEST" was clearly there. What exactly did the firmware update by the way, my buddy asked but I couldn't answer. Thanks again.
post #3005 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycure299 View Post

Hello,

I am now totally confused after reading manuals and searching threads...I just picked up the 3808CI receiver this week. I have hooked up a sony bdp-s300 blu ray player to the receiver using an HDMI cable. I have a 7.1 speaker setup as well. So, what should the audio settings be on the player and the receiver? The s300 for audio has AUTO or PCM. If I select PCM, the receiver displays multi channel, and auto displays whatever the audio is ie dts or dolby. What should the dvd player be set to? What should the receiver then be set to? I've played a lot of different audi tracks and I see all the speakers displayed on the right side of the denon display, but I never see the two surround back speakers on the left side of the display...so I'm really confused now. I do have the receiver set up to use 2 speakers for the back. Any advice is greatly appreciated....

From what I recall, you're supposed to set it to "Auto" and then select the appropriate track from the disk menu. When a LPCM (uncompressed audio) track is available on the disk, you want to select that and the Denon should indicate it is receiving multichannel audio. The S300 will not decode or output TrueHD nor DTS-HD MA audio; it switches to Dolby Digital and DTS when you select those tracks.

You won't be able to take advantage of Blu-ray disks with TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio because your S300 can't decode those formats and it can't pass them to your Denon for decoding. Basically, that functionality on your Denon is wasted by the S300. You would have to exchange the S300 for the new $450 Panasonic DMP-BD30 if you want to experience the superior audio tracks on those titles.
post #3006 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I finally took the plunge. I ordered an '08 yesterday from 6th Ave....ships in a week. This will replace my 3805 which has been a good and loyal friend for a number of years.

I've been reading through a lot of these posts yesterday and today, and it looks like I have a bit of work ahead of me before I'm up and running. First off, it's clear I'll need to have a wireless network set up in my house...that's OK. As the network's base is in a room far from my HT, am I correct to assume I will need of of these before I can do anything?:

Wireless Router

....and that device gets pluged into the "ethernet" port of the 3808?

Thanks.
post #3007 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post

Wireless Router

....and that device gets pluged into the "ethernet" port of the 3808?.

You need a device that will function as a wireless bridge.

I don't know whether that Linksys has a bridge mode or not. I know that this router and this router will operate in bridge mode.
post #3008 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Well, I finally took the plunge. I ordered an '08 yesterday from 6th Ave....ships in a week. This will replace my 3805 which has been a good and loyal friend for a number of years.

I've been reading through a lot of these posts yesterday and today, and it looks like I have a bit of work ahead of me before I'm up and running. First off, it's clear I'll need to have a wireless network set up in my house...that's OK. As the network's base is in a room far from my HT, am I correct to assume I will need of of these before I can do anything?:

....and that device gets pluged into the "ethernet" port of the 3808?

Thanks.

Are you running a wireless network at all in your home now? Reading your post closer, I assume you are not. So, you'll actually need a wireless router such as the linksys in your home, probably at your "network's base" to use your description above. Then you'll need a wireless bridge that you can place near the 3808 and plug into the ethernet port. The bridge will communicate through 802.11 (wirelesss) back to your wireless router at your network base and that wireless router is plugged into your home network.

I hope that makes sense.

-K
post #3009 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 02:37 PM

I have gone back and forth between onkyo 875 and denon 3808. I have read both threads (boy that took awhile lol ) I am going to move forward on the 3808 . Question I have is where are people [urchasing this for 1200 that I have seen in this thread? I can find it for 1174 shipped but not from authorized dealer. Seems all the authorised dealers have it for 1599

Thanks in advance
post #3010 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heado View Post

Are you running a wireless network at all in your home now? Reading your post closer, I assume you are not. So, you'll actually need a wireless router such as the linksys in your home, probably at your "network's base" to use your description above. Then you'll need a wireless bridge that you can place near the 3808 and plug into the ethernet port. The bridge will communicate through 802.11 (wirelesss) back to your wireless router at your network base and that wireless router is plugged into your home network.

I hope that makes sense.

-K

I do have a wireless network, through AT&T U-verse. There is a unit called the "controller" which is downstairs. This sends a signal to all my cable boxes and to my PC which has a small "receiver" unit which plugs into a USB port. From looking at the 3808 manual online, it looks like my only option is with a device having an ethernet port. I believe the two devices recommended by bfdtv above will work with this.

Thanks all.
post #3011 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 03:52 PM

After detecting my sub the phrase "caution" come up and it stops detecting my speakers. I have retryed several times and it continues to do the same thing??
post #3012 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I also finally took the plunge and ordered a 3808ci today from 6th Ave.....the deal is just too good to pass up! I mean $400+ off of msrp WITH an additional 3 year warranty AND free shipping??? Easy decision!!

This will replace my Pioneer 1015tx which has been a good receiver too, but we all need HDMI now!

I've been reading through a lot of these posts and...did I read somewhere that you can get Dolby® True HD sound with th A2 over HDMI??

thanks!
post #3013 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 04:08 PM

I Also took the plunge and ordered one tonight. Cant wait to get it in !!!!

Big thanks to the person who PM'd me helping me out!!!!
post #3014 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog3 View Post

I have gone back and forth between onkyo 875 and denon 3808. I have read both threads (boy that took awhile lol ) I am going to move forward on the 3808 . Question I have is where are people [urchasing this for 1200 that I have seen in this thread? I can find it for 1174 shipped but not from authorized dealer. Seems all the authorised dealers have it for 1599

Thanks in advance

I just joined AVS when I became interested in getting various points of view between the Onkyo 875 and the Denon 3808ci. I know that if you go onto the Denon website, they provide a list of authorized retailers to purchase from. More specifically, there are three that sell Denon refurbs. dakmart.com lists the Denon slightly below $1200 (not including shipping). Not sure if I could provide the price - I read in one of the previous posts that it wasn't appropriate to list the prices.

Anyhow, if you trust the refurb'd product, it may be the way to go.

Good Luck.
post #3015 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle454 View Post

I've been reading through a lot of these posts and...did I read somewhere that you can get Dolby® True HD sound with th A2 over HDMI??

As of today, you will only see Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA mode on your Denon receiver when using a HDMI connection with the following players:

HD-DVD Players
  1. Toshiba HD-A35
  2. Toshiba HD-XA2 (requires 2.7 firmware)

Blu-ray players
  1. Panasonic DMP-BD30 (most widely recommended)
  2. Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD
  3. Samsung BD-P1400

You will not see Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, or DTS-HD MA on your receiver with any other players on the market today.

If it were me, I would buy the Panasonic DMP-BD30 for Blu-ray playback and Toshiba HD-XA2 for HD-DVD and DVD playback. The Panasonic is a great Blu-ray player, but its DVD playback leaves something to be desired. The Toshiba HD-XA2 is about the best you can do for DVD playback today (at any price).

You can still experience TrueHD audio with the HD-A2, but it won't show up that way on the Denon. The HD-A2 cannot output the TrueHD bitstream to the Denon for decoding, but it can decode TrueHD into LCPM and then output LPCM to the Denon via HDMI. The Denon will display Multichannel PCM when fed by the HD-A2.
post #3016 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 04:41 PM

Ok, after some looking, I havn't been able to find the answear to my question...

Here is my equipment...
Denon 3808
Toshiba A35 HD-DVD
Panasonic DMP-BD30K

I am bitstreaming all audio to the 3808.
My question is when I enable Direct or Pure direct mode I only get 2ch output? Except with 5.1 PCM audio on Blu-Ray. Otherwise on Standard Surround I get 5.1 decoding of True HD, DTS MA and Digtal +...
Is there something wrong with my receiver? Shouldn't it be 5.1 output?
Do I have a setting wrong somewhere? HELP?
Thanks!

TWC Milwaukee - HTPC with Windows Media Center
post #3017 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle454 View Post

Well, I also finally took the plunge and ordered a 3808ci today from 6th Ave.....the deal is just too good to pass up! I mean $400+ off of msrp WITH an additional 3 year warranty AND free shipping??? Easy decision!!

This will replace my Pioneer 1015tx which has been a good receiver too, but we all need HDMI now!

thanks!

Can anyone tell me how long this is going on for please? I have a feeling I read the post 28 minutes too late.
post #3018 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

You need a device that will function as a wireless bridge.

I don't know whether that Linksys has a bridge mode or not. I know that this router and this router will operate in bridge mode.

My networking guy at work recommended I use the Netgear powerline instead of establishing a new wi-fi bridge to my existing WAP. It plugs into any power outlet and its twin plugs in to an outlet near my main router and I run ethernet hard cable from each. He said it is faster and easier.

Does anyone have any experience trying this? I actually used an early version of theproduct about 5 years ago but at the time it would fail anytime there was the slightest power fluxuation and I wouldhave to unplug andre-plug each end. Then wi-fi took over and I bolted with it... That said, it would be easier if it works than a new bridge and it would be a lower profile i my setup and I have had wireless interference in the past.

Thanks.

Does anyone have any
post #3019 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckchay View Post

I just joined AVS when I became interested in getting various points of view between the Onkyo 875 and the Denon 3808ci. I know that if you go onto the Denon website, they provide a list of authorized retailers to purchase from. More specifically, there are three that sell Denon refurbs. dakmart.com lists the Denon slightly below $1200 (not including shipping). Not sure if I could provide the price - I read in one of the previous posts that it wasn't appropriate to list the prices.

Anyhow, if you trust the refurb'd product, it may be the way to go.

Good Luck.

Without being specific (because it is against the rules), you can do better than that price brand new from an authorized seller. I did just last Friday. A bunch of others have too. PM me if you need a lead.
post #3020 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantasm View Post

Can anyone tell me how long this is going on for please? I have a feeling I read the post 28 minutes too late.

You have to call them. It's the best price anywhere for it by far. Looks like alot of people have ordered it there this month. I get mine Wends or Thurs

PS3 and A2 - just want my HD
post #3021 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 07:39 PM

Im at a loss now. Bought a good linksys router hooked it up. Internet is working and ports 1 and 2 are green to go. Hook up Dennon "connection failed" This is really getting frustrating or pissing me off now. Had this dam thing for over two weeks and I cant get firmware connected to update!?!?!?!?

thank u for any suggestions
post #3022 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:

I do have a wireless network, through AT&T U-verse.
Thanks all.

Nice!!! Then you are the envy of many of my friends.

You're all set, just get a wifi bridge and you'll be in business.

-K
post #3023 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron73m View Post

Im at a loss now. Bought a good linksys router hooked it up. Internet is working and ports 1 and 2 are green to go. Hook up Dennon "connection failed" This is really getting frustrating or pissing me off now. Had this dam thing for over two weeks and I cant get firmware connected to update!?!?!?!?

thank u for any suggestions

Are you sure you have it set to DHCP mode? (not manual).

Also, try turning on the router, then wait a few minutes, then turn on the Denon. In fact I'd try unplugging the Denon and only plugging it back in after the router has been powered up for a minute or two.

In my opinion the Denon has acquired an IP address and won't let go of it. Heck, it's worth a try. Good luck!
post #3024 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlewis View Post

If you have "Use DHCP" selected on the Denon, then I would try:

Turn the Denon off, turn the router off, turn the router back on, turn the Denon back on.

If that doesn't yield a new IP address you could also try switching to "Manual IP Address" then back to "Using DHCP". Maybe that will do it?

But yes I agree. It would REALLY COOL if someone knowledgeable took to time to kind of rewrite the manual in an online thread. This manual is downright cryptic!

Thank i have tried the DHCP on/off scenario and it did not work. I will try to do the 3808 off, router off, and then router on and Denon on, and see if that works.

If that does not work then it will be a call to Denon CS
post #3025 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron73m View Post

You need to be more specific about how you've setup the network.

Is your cable or dsl modem connected directly to the WAN port on the router you are using for the Denon receiver? Or are you using a second router in a different room?
post #3026 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Also, try turning on the router, then wait a few minutes, then turn on the Denon. In fact I'd try unplugging the Denon and only plugging it back in after the router has been powered up for a minute or two.

In my opinion the Denon has acquired an IP address and won't let go of it. Heck, it's worth a try. Good luck!

I think I might have that issue too - I do get Internet radio so I know it is connected to the web, but it is showing me the wrong IP Address
post #3027 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:

yes Its in DHCP mode. I tried unplugging router, modem, dennon. Also just tried the dennon to router with cpu plug out. Does the dennon possibly have the wrong IP address?
post #3028 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 PM

Hey Nuro try a factory reset, I just did it for the first time and after second attempt it actually logged on and is updating. turn power completely off and hold up and down arrows while yu turn it on for a couple seconds. I was about to bash it with a bat but I guess Ill hold off now.
post #3029 of 20256 Old 11-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog3 View Post

Thanks in advance

Check with 6th Avenue. You need to call. Got mine for much less than eBay prices, with free shipping and they are an authorized dealer. Highly recommend them.
post #3030 of 20256 Old 11-26-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantasm View Post

It's still on. I just ordered mine from David ext. 8474, I forgot to ask how long the promotion is good for, but call him up and I'm sure he'll take care of you.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page