The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 104 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
macdaddy, go into the GUI and go into to manual setup->speaker setup->channel level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 05:39 AM

Hey guys I have a problem here. I am still unable to get bass through my subwoofer with stereo music

I have the mains set to 'large' with the subwoofer set to 'yes' and 'LFE+main' with an 80hz crossover.

When playing a cd through my A2 hd- dvd player the source says 'stereo' There is definitely no bass coming through the subwoofer. If I change the source to 5 ch. stereo the sub works (and the center and surrounds)

When playing music with my xbox 360, the source says dolby digital. Music comes through the 2 fronts and the sub. If I change the source to stereo, then there is no sub with the music.

The sub is working when it should with any source other than 'stereo' it seems.

Can anyone help me get my sub to work with music? My speakers provide plenty of bass for most music, but some bass demanding music still needs a sub... I can not figure this out.

Thanks,
T
post #3093 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy57 View Post

I just purchased the Denon 3808CI receiver and have set it up in a rather small den (15' wide by 10-1/2' deep). I'm using Axiom M3 bookshelf speakers, Axiom QS4 surrounds, an Axiom VP150 center, and a Hsu STF-2 sub. I've calibrated the speakers using Denon's Audyssey setup. Here's my question. Is it possible to increase the volume on the center and decrease the volume on the surrounds with the Denon 3808? In skimming the manual, I couldn't find a way to do it.

Scroll through the channels using the 'enter' button on the remote. Change the volume using the 'left' and 'right' arrows. That's all.
post #3094 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzaghi View Post

Can anyone help me get my sub to work with music? My speakers provide plenty of bass for most music, but some bass demanding music still needs a sub... I can not figure this out.

I believe your problem has to do with the fact that stereo sources can have their very own configuration that can be different to your standard setup. I'm guessing this is so "audiophiles" with full-range front speakers can easily listen to 2-channel music without having to toggle the sub on and off each time. Not sure if this is what's happening with your setup, but it's worth a try

In the menu system (this is on page 30 of the 3808ci manual):

Manual Setup -> Audio Setup -> 2ch Direct/Stereo ->

Setting: Custom
Front: Large
Subwoofer: Yes
Subwoofer Mode: LFE+Main
Crossover: 80Hz (or whatever you prefer)
Distance(s): Set to whatever you prefer.

Let us know if that does the trick.
post #3095 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzaghi View Post

Hey guys I have a problem here. I am still unable to get bass through my subwoofer with stereo music

I have the mains set to 'large' with the subwoofer set to 'yes' and 'LFE+main' with an 80hz crossover.

When playing a cd through my A2 hd- dvd player the source says 'stereo' There is definitely no bass coming through the subwoofer. If I change the source to 5 ch. stereo the sub works (and the center and surrounds)

When playing music with my xbox 360, the source says dolby digital. Music comes through the 2 fronts and the sub. If I change the source to stereo, then there is no sub with the music.

Thanks,
T

Have you played with the individual channel levels? (Manual Setup>Speaker Setup>Channel Level) Just increase the subwooffer channel level. Mine is normally at +2db or +4db. But don't forget, the minute you change to a different surround setting, the speaker channel settings will change as well. You need to set the channel settings for the surround settings you use most.
post #3096 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 07:42 AM

I was thinking of getting the 875 or the denon and when I saw the deal posted I was like no way it sounds too good for 3808.

I called and I got also for 1168. Ask for david ext 8747 Ill post again when it gets here. Its from Sixth ave.
post #3097 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 AM

what should the receiver display as the audio signal? I have them hooked together with an HDMI cable. I'm used to seeing "dolby digital" displayed on my old 2800. Now I get "multi CH Direct"

Do I have this configured correctly?
post #3098 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 130
My 6 Ave Denon 3808 order never showed up (they literally told me it "had shipped," past tense, Monday) so I called 6 Ave again today. Now they say it never shipped and they ran out of stock and are on backorder.

As some of you know (I probably PM'ed at least two dozen of you the deal and the contacts), I ordered Friday morning. At the time the sales person claimed he guaranteed they were in-stock still. Annoying too, because I live about 12 miles from a 6 Ave retail store that had them in-stock at the time, but with their guarantee and free shipping I took their word and ordered over the phone Oh well.

Has anyone else who ordered from them either received it yet or received an email confirmation that they have already shipped? If so, when did you order?

BTW, this happened to me with 6 Ave a couple years ago when I ordered my plasma. They said it was in-stock, then changed their tune when they missed their promised delivery window. This went on for 3 months. A one point they called and actually scheduled the delivery and never showed up and later said they made a mistake and delivered it to someone else further down on the wait list instead. Along the way they kept promising that their buyers had promised delivery this week etc. for week after week Hopefully it won't be that bad this time. Back then everyone was experiencing shortages on the model I ordered (a 50 Panasonic) and I haven't heard of widespread 3808 shortages yet
post #3099 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just ordered yesterday and Scott told me it was in stock. I have not received a "shipped" email, just order review email. And if I try and track the order online, it fails.
post #3100 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 AM

I ordered Wednesday of last week and mine is still backordered too. I called Monday to get a status update and they said it would ship late this week. We'll see if that really happens.
post #3101 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby Baker View Post

I just ordered yesterday and Scott told me it was in stock. I have not received a "shipped" email, just order review email. And if I try and track the order online, it fails.

Scott is the one who personally "guaranteed" me it was in stock when I ordered and who told it "had shipped" Monday...

The sales manager told me if you haven't gotten an email, it didn't ship...

He also said they did a TON of sales overt the "extended weekend" (i.e. anytime from last Thursday through Sunday) and only started to process those sales Monday by which time it was clear they had far more sales over that period than they had inventory...
post #3102 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJonesUSC View Post

I ordered Wednesday of last week and mine is still backordered too. I called Monday to get a status update and they said it would ship late this week. We'll see if that really happens.

The sales manager told me they are expecting a new shipment Friday. But given my past experience I won't hold my breath until I get confirmation of shipping with a tracking #...
post #3103 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Damn and I was hoping to have a new toy for the weekend. I wonder if they have the 4308 in stock, might consider upgrading if it could be here sooner. Guess I will have to get on the phone with them. Ugh.
post #3104 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum View Post

I believe your problem has to do with the fact that stereo sources can have their very own configuration that can be different to your standard setup. I'm guessing this is so "audiophiles" with full-range front speakers can easily listen to 2-channel music without having to toggle the sub on and off each time. Not sure if this is what's happening with your setup, but it's worth a try

In the menu system (this is on page 30 of the 3808ci manual):

Manual Setup -> Audio Setup -> 2ch Direct/Stereo ->

Setting: Custom
Front: Large
Subwoofer: Yes
Subwoofer Mode: LFE+Main
Crossover: 80Hz (or whatever you prefer)
Distance(s): Set to whatever you prefer.

Let us know if that does the trick.

chum, thank you very much!

This solved my problem!

fyi: i ordered my 3808 from 6ave about 3 weeks ago, it arrived in 4 days
post #3105 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 AM

I ordered with Scott Sunday (11/25) and was assured that the receiver was in stock and would be shipped out Mon/Tue. I got my order confirmation email on Sunday.

Called 6ave y/day and they told me that it would be shipped out by y/day evening. Called them today only to be told that the receiver is on backorder and they expect a shipment from Denon by Friday. The guy also told me that they have 7-day shipping and the orders will be fulfilled over the weekend.

Makes me
post #3106 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solanno1 View Post

I ordered with Scott Sunday (11/25) and was assured that the receiver was in stock and would be shipped out Mon/Tue. I got my order confirmation email on Sunday.

Called 6ave y/day and they told me that it would be shipped out by y/day evening. Called them today only to be told that the receiver is on backorder and they expect a shipment from Denon by Friday. The guy also told me that they have 7-day shipping and the orders will be fulfilled over the weekend.

Makes me

thats unfortunate. i spoke to dave last week sunday too, and he told they were out of stock and would ship within the next 2 weeks.

so i went to the B&M store and got one at the same price. i live in north NJ and there are 2 of them near my house

at least your getting a great deal so its worth the wait but i do understand your frustration.
post #3107 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11 View Post

thats unfortunate. i spoke to dave last week sunday too, and he told they were out of stock and would ship within the next 2 weeks.

so i went to the B&M store and got one at the same price. i live in north NJ and there are 2 of them near my house

at least your getting a great deal so its worth the wait but i do understand your frustration.

I live in NY too and Scott talked me out of going to the B&M store last Friday because he assure dme it was shipping. In general from the posts so far it sound slike Scott was telling everyone it was in stock while others were telling people it wasn't...
post #3108 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 PM

When I called Monday to get the prices I intended on ordering the 3808. After getting the price for both the 3808 and 4308 I decided to pop for the 4308. I received a shipping confirmation email from them today saying my receiver had shipped using DHL. So it sounds like the 4308's may still be in stock.

Tim
post #3109 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 PM

I ordered mine from David at 6th Avenue on Friday morning around 10am, it shipped on Saturday and my wife just called that it has arrived at my house. Sorry to all those that have to wait, but I bet they will get them on Friday and you should have them by next Wednesday. For this price, it seems to be worth the wait to me.

Since I will get to play with mine tonight, does everyone reccomend hooking the 3808 straight up to my router with an ethernet cable and doing the FW update before I bring it downstairs to my basement theater? I do not have great wireless reception in my theater and it is too far to put it in place and then run the ethernet cable. Also, is it worth dragging a TV into the room with my router so I can use the GUI to do the FW update, or is it simple enough to do with just the front display on the receiver? Thanks.
post #3110 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy57 View Post

... Is it possible to increase the volume on the center and decrease the volume on the surrounds with the Denon 3808? ...

The reason I want to change the volume is that I have Tinnitus (a permanent high-pitched ringing sound) in my left ear. I've noticed that when I listen to movie soundtracks that have a lot of explosions (e.g. "Master and Commander"), ...
Thanks.

Well, I'm a 3808 expert as I have one sitting in a box in the garage that I don't get to open until Christmas :-(

I think you should look at the 3808's night listening mode or whatever they call it. The manual says it's good for listening at night when you don't want to bother the neighbors. I'll take a wild guess and suggest that it just adds in some compression to limit the volume of loud portions of your audio program. Could be just the thing for the condition that you describe.

Mike

(o.k. so maybe I sneaked out there and opened the box and took out the manual for a little reading - how much self control does a guy have to have?)
post #3111 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator123 View Post

Since I will get to play with mine tonight, does everyone reccomend hooking the 3808 straight up to my router with an ethernet cable and doing the FW update before I bring it downstairs to my basement theater? I do not have great wireless reception in my theater and it is too far to put it in place and then run the ethernet cable. Also, is it worth dragging a TV into the room with my router so I can use the GUI to do the FW update, or is it simple enough to do with just the front display on the receiver? Thanks.

yes. that is what i did and it worked fine the first time.
post #3112 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered mine from 6th Ave on Saturday, and was told it wouldn't be shipping for a week....OK with me. Sounds like that is the "real deal" which should have been told to others.

It's not like they have to lie to move these things at $1100.....
post #3113 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I ordered mine from David at 6th Avenue on Friday morning around 10am, it shipped on Saturday and my wife just called that it has arrived at my house. Sorry to all those that have to wait, but I bet they will get them on Friday and you should have them by next Wednesday. For this price, it seems to be worth the wait to me.

You don't need a tv to do the FW update since the GUI does not operate during the process
post #3114 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera1 View Post

You don't need a tv to do the FW update since the GUI does not operate during the process

So does it just begin automatically, or do we use the AVR's display panel?
post #3115 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 06:42 PM

post #3116 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. I ordered by 9am Friday. Another poster here said they ordered Wednesday and didn't get it. Sounds like they aren't fulfilling in the shipping order, which is the same thing that happened to me with the plasma in 2005. They aren't a very sophisticated operation. But I agree the price is right. (That said, some people are getting Best Buy and others to price match it.)

But that's good for you. Have fun with it!

I wouldn't be so sure they'll get a shipment Friday. My past experience (and current one) is they have no idea and like to always say they are about to get a shipment. Remember, the plasma that I bought "in stock" took over 3 MONTHS to show up, and I called weekly and was told each time they were expecting them within the week which means they were wrong 12 times out of 13... But it doesn't hurt to be optimistic I guess.
post #3117 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post

It's not like they have to lie to move these things at $1100.....

Yeah, but they are on commission, and he didn't want to lose the sale to his own company if I went to the store when they were still available. Nor did he want to take a chance of someone getting a price match elsewhere...
post #3118 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 07:05 PM

Thanks guys. I just finished the update and it went off without a hitch. I hooked the 3808 straight to my router with an ethernet cable, turned it on, hit the menu button on the remote, looked at the front panel of the receiver and scrolled down to Manual Setup/Options/Firmware Update and hit enter when it displayed Update Firmware. It took over from there and displayed each module and the percent complete as well as the number of minutes remaining to complete the entire upgrade, which was around 45 minutes. When it finished it said "Updating Complete" and then powered itself off and then back on. That was all there was to it. For the record I have Comcast Cable and a D-Link DIR-655 router. I can't wait to set it up and play with it over the weekend.
post #3119 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post

So does it just begin automatically, or do we use the AVR's display panel?

I used the GUI menu to get it started, but then the GUI disappears and you can monitor the progress on the front panel display. But be patient. There were a number of times that the progress seemed to pause, but after 2-3 minutes it started right back up again. It probably took mine 30 minutes to get through the first update, and then about 10 minutes to get through the second. So don't forget, after you're done with the first firmware update, go back and try to update it again. There are 2 or 3 versions of the update that you can download, but I guess Denon wants us to do them one-by-one. You'll know you have them all when the GUI Firmware setting reads "Latest".

Good luck!
post #3120 of 20233 Old 11-28-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys. I just finished the update and it went off without a hitch. I hooked the 3808 straight to my router with an ethernet cable, turned it on, hit the menu button on the remote, looked at the front panel of the receiver and scrolled down to Manual Setup/Options/Firmware Update and hit enter when it displayed Update Firmware. It took over from there and displayed each module and the percent complete as well as the number of minutes remaining to complete the entire upgrade, which was around 45 minutes. When it finished it said "Updating Complete" and then powered itself off and then back on. That was all there was to it. For the record I have Comcast Cable and a D-Link DIR-655 router. I can't wait to set it up and play with it over the weekend.

That's exactly how it went for me. Easy! But don't forget (like we did) to try running the firmware update again because there are a number of them to be downloaded. In our case there were two that we downloaded and then when I tried a third time the GUI Firmware setting displayed "Latest" and wouldn't download anything.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page