Forum Jump: 

post #4441 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrim View Post

Once again, this is only showing what is being outputted by the rear speakers, has anyone shown what the actual input signal is on the Onkyo or the Yamaha? My 3808 shows this also on the right hand side of the display (speaker output), if I look on the left hand side it only shows 5.1 being the input signal.

Onkyo is showing what it is getting, even in the lower pictures Onkyo is outputting 7.1 using THX Ultra2 / PLIIx even though the surr back indicators are not lit.

So the problem is either with incorrectly flagged disc (this doesn't explain why Onkyo however displays 7.1 input - could it be the same reason why Denon sees surr back as discrete?) or firmware bug on Denon's display (probably because of this).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 AM

Can you post a screenshot of the display.

well sorry, I have to know before I buy something that expensive.
I'm still hesitating between the 3808 and the 3800 from Yamaha.

Although i ordered the Denon, I'm still on time to change my order.
How is the Denon for Cinema compared to the Yamaha.

What about reliability?
post #4443 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenthal View Post

Onkyo is showing what it is getting, even in the lower pictures Onkyo is outputting 7.1 using THX Ultra2 / PLIIx even though the surr back indicators are not lit.

So the problem is either with incorrectly flagged disc (this doesn't explain why Onkyo however displays 7.1 input - could it be the same reason why Denon sees surr back as discrete?) or firmware bug on Denon's display (probably because of this).

What if it's a hardware problem, because remember, these are all new formats.
Pioneer has the same problem, maybe using the same kind of chip? dunno though.
Because it doesnt explain why the logo is 7.1 and movie itself not
post #4444 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 07:22 AM

Is there anyone out here using the Toshiba XA2 with the 3808 that came chime in on this. What does your incoming display show when watching Pan's Labyrinth? I don't have a problem going out and purchasing another copy of the movie but if someone can chime in it would save me $30+.
post #4445 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshotnz View Post

Hey - any issues with the logon fails - see earlier in this thread. Simply reset the Denon using the instructions listed, then log on and perform an update. Also, since the updates wipe your personalised settings, log onto the Denon directly using the IP it is set to (check network settings - most probably 192.168.xxx.xxx - type this directly into your web browser). For the later firmware upate, you can save your personalised settings through the web browser (the Denon will show that it is saving) and if you perform an update that wipes your data, simply log on again via the web browser and load your settings back - also helpful if you need to reset the receiver for any reason.

Thanks for your response, I felt like I tried everything I could before I sent it back, including 2 calls to Denon (45 min wait for a 2 min discussion). Basically all Denon said was to get a new router.

I think if I could have got that first fw update, other issues could have been resolved. The 3808 I have now was able to connect and update fw on first try and also pull up iternet radio on first try. Pretty much plug in and play. (absolutely not the case before) I certainly could have missed something and saved me time and effort with the return. But happy now. thnx
post #4446 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 07:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenFly View Post

Hi Dan,
I have a brand new 3808ci, URC 850 and
MRF 350. I didn't even think about the rear jack! Now I have to try it.

Mine is set up using the IR emitters. and it works great. The only issue I've had is the "self stick" tape on the IR emitters is somewhat flawed. I have mine stuck on with bluetape for now.

Anyway, the remote works great in this setup for all sources from anywhere in my room pointed anywhere which was the point of it all.

Zenfly, it's kind of stange, I have 2 MX-850 and an MX-950 that I'm using with the MRF-350 and even though the MX-850s aren't supposed to work with the MFR-350 it works better than the MX-950 with the IR Output cable plugged into the back of the receiver. The MX-850s are used on other floors and the MX-950 is used right in the same room. When I turn it to "IR & RF" the MX-950 appears to work correctly 100% of the time.

I asked this same question on Remote Central and someone suggested I turn the IR Output all the way down on the MRF-350, and that helped somewhat. I think I'm about 85-90% reliable with that setup, not what I had on the 3805, but I might be able to tweak it enough to live with it. I'll have to wait a few days and see what happens.

Also, when you plug it into the back of the receiver you will need to go into the 3808CI settings and specify "2 Way Remote" on the Options Menu (I think that's where it is, right above "Remote ID").

Let me know what kind of results you get with plugging the IR cable into the receiver, make sure it's in the "IN" jack.

Dan
post #4447 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 AM

I could use one more line level analog audio input so I can connect the analog stereo audio from my TV to the receiver for handling the audio when using the TV's built-in tuner. I don't want to tie up a video source (e.g. the TV/CBL input) when I only need audio.

I'm ready to retire my old turntable, so that frees up the phono input. However, as we all know, a phono input is not line level. I found this device that converts line level signals to phono input compatible signals, which is one option. However...

Page 37 of the 3808 manual under Input Mode says I can switch the phono selection to use the EXT.IN inputs instead of the phono inputs. That leaves me with a couple questions:

1. If I switch the phono selection to use EXT.IN, is it line level or phono level (I assume line level, but I'm just double checking).

2. I don't need all 7.1 signals, as the source is stereo, so I'd only be connecting to the FL and FR jacks. When using EXT.IN in this manner, can I still apply Dolby Pro Logic processing to the stereo signal to get DPL surround sound? Or does it assume when you are using EXT.IN that you are providing the surround channels via the other jacks?

If it makes more sense to simply use the phono input with an adapter, does anybody know of any other sources of such an adapter besides the one I linked to above? At only $10, I'm not convinced that this one will have the highest quality components inside...

Thanks,

- Jay
post #4448 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 AM

Reading the fine print in the manual (how did I miss that the first time) answers question #2, which rules out using EXT.IN for my TV audio.

Thus, I fall back to a line level to phono input adapter...
post #4449 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 08:56 AM

I desperately need HELP. I am trying to set up the ethernet connection to the 3808. I already have a wireless router which is operational. Do you first connect the ethernet bridge to a laptop and configure it to access ID, Security Type and Network Key, Channel No, before you connect it to the 3808?? If so, what after that?? Unfortunately, the Manual is very vague about what to do. I am trying to complete this setup in order to access Internet radio. Everything else is setup and working great.

JerryD
post #4450 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is there anyone out here using the Toshiba XA2 with the 3808 that came chime in on this. What does your incoming display show when watching Pan's Labyrinth? I don't have a problem going out and purchasing another copy of the movie but if someone can chime in it would save me $30+.

I am using the XA2 with the 3808.

When watching Pan's Labyrinth, my display shows "DTS-HD MSTR".

I am using surround mode "STANDARD".
post #4451 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post

I am using the XA2 with the 3808.

When watching Pan's Labyrinth, my display shows "DTS-HD MSTR".

I am using surround mode "STANDARD".

What does it show your incoming signal (speaker layout on the left side of the display) being as well as your outgoing signal (on the right hand side)? Thanks a million.
post #4452 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What does it show your incoming signal (speaker layout on the left side of the display) being as well as your outgoing signal (on the right hand side)? Thanks a million.

I'm at work, but IIRC, the layout on the left shows a 7.1 display, and the output shows my (correctly) downmixed 5.1 setup.
post #4453 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 AM

Oh, so you are only using a 5.1 setup then? Sorry to bother you.
post #4454 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 AM

There's been discussion in Denon 3808 & 4308 Bugs, undesired features, and enhancements desired -thread that Denon crops two last vertical pixel-rows (1919&1920) and has infact duplicates of two preceding rows (1917&1918) instead of those when using 1920x1080 -picture.

I've tried to make here example what this might look like when using Windows PC connected via HDMI thru Denon to display:

On the left is upper right part of 1080p resolution desktop directly to full hd panel.

On the right same desktop thru Denon. I've here illustrated what it might look like when rows 1917&1918 are duplicated as 1919&1920.

Could those using 1080p picture confirm if this really happens with their 3808 (or 4308) to make sure this isn't just isolated incident or just wrong settings in Denon? This could be easily tested with PC or 1080p test pattern available for example here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post12558172
post #4455 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post

Forcemany: Your solution works. While I am getting only the surround material (lots of reverb) in the extra room , since the room is within shouting distance of my main room, I think this will work for me. Also, now that I am not using the surround back jacks, I gather I can go ahead and bi-amp my front speakers on my next "rainy day". Many thanks (no pun intended)!

I think you'll do better with 5 channel stereo especially for background music.

FLY
post #4456 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD View Post

I desperately need HELP. I am trying to set up the ethernet connection to the 3808. I already have a wireless router which is operational. Do you first connect the ethernet bridge to a laptop and configure it to access ID, Security Type and Network Key, Channel No, before you connect it to the 3808?? If so, what after that?? Unfortunately, the Manual is very vague about what to do. I am trying to complete this setup in order to access Internet radio. Everything else is setup and working great.

It sounds like you:
1. Have a wireless router in another room.
2. Have a wireless bridge that you want to connect the Denon to (via ethernet)

If this is the case then, yes, the bridge must be configured to connect to your router with the correct security settings (and of course get on the correct network/SSID/etc..)

You should either have a set-up disc for the bridge or connect a laptop to the bridge via ethernet and go to it's set-up webpage. Configuring the bridge should be pretty trivial, it sounds like you already understand that you need to apply the correct environment settings to connect it to your router.

Turn off your laptop's wireless function (..set up the bridge) and try connecting to the router/internet through the bridge+ethernet cable.. this will make sure you have it set up correctly, then simply plug the ethernet cable into your receiver.

The manual assumes you're hardwiring the ethernet cable directly to a router and doesn't talk about wireless/bridges. It basically assumes the internet connection is ready to go and you simply plug in. In your case it sounds like there's just a simple one-time step of setting up the bridge and then plugging into the receiver.
post #4457 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 AM

Get the 3808. I have a 5.1 Klipsch Reference series set up (Martin Logan Sub) and the 3808 was the ticket to making the speakers sing. I had a Yamaha receiver and there is NO comparison!!!

The article posted on page 14something from a HIFI mag was dead on about the sound of the 3808, based on my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post

Since many of us have been asked to mention what a good price we got at 6th Ave., I feel it is only fair to voice the bad with the good.

I ordered last week and was told if the shipping guys were still there, it would go out that (Friday) afternoon and if not, first thing Monday. Well, DHL had no record of it, so I called 6th ave.

It hasn't shipped yet... So now I'm wondering...I've had cold feet all along with the Denon since I've never seen one in person and don't know how their build compares with yamaha. It's specs say it weighs less or the same as a 7 year old Yamaha that I'm replacing (35+ pounds) and it weighs much less than comparble Onkyo. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be better off with staying with my setup and getting a warmer amp to power my Klipsch or just keep the same set up and get different speakers....

ahhhhhh.... I hate making decisions...

post #4458 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuench View Post

That's wrong. WEP can be broken no matter how strong your key in a few seconds. And after that you just need to monitor the traffic for a couple of seconds and now you have one of the working MAC addresses. Put that on your NIC and your in.

So with WEP your network might be protected from your idiot neighbor, but WPA/AES prevents his 12yo kid from breaking in too...

Where did you get the notion that WEP can be broken in seconds? Can you post a link to that information. I know it can be broken... but not in seconds.
post #4459 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 01:10 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Not sure about seconds, but it's widely reported on any network forum site that WEP can be hacked into quite easily (within 1 hour in any event).

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #4460 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Yes, I agree it can be broken in hours.

Here is a useful web page - it generates 63 character WPA2 keys like
"CimZNO85L5!QraZxNDyWU6+I\\wDOu0\\+shV6\\d0Fi/gOZ5AwI-In4E\\,/9LuHGq"

good luck to a hacker cracking that with brute force.
http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/.../generator.php
post #4461 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 01:18 PM

1) Weak midbass (freq. between 100Hz-200Hz)? Definitely not an issue on mine.

2) Clumsy to use different surround modes with multichannel Dolby sources? Could be a result of the HD DVD / BlueRay and what it's sending

3) LFE too weak with multichannel PCM and/or no bass management with multichannel PCM? Definitely not on mine

4) DPLIIx and other overlay modes not working with HD-audio sources (esp. with 5.1/6.1 DTS-HD MSTR/Dolby True HD)? Never had to use

5) DTS-HD MSTR 7.1 sources recognized as only 5.1?
Could be the HD DVD/Blue Ray player. Mine (A2) only produces a 5.1 output.

6) Denon's ALS24 not available with HD-audio (Dolby/DTS HD)? Not aware of this issue.

Maybe some owners could comment if these are real or just because of misconfigured system or lack of updates....OR as I mentioned above, the product of what the HDDVD or BlueRay is sending
post #4462 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 PM

@Sushibill

Thanks!

What about Denon 3808 messing up two last vertical rows of pixels (rows 1919&1920) in full hd picture? (display's overscan must be naturally 0).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12668418
post #4463 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:

@Sushibill

Thanks!

What about Denon 3808 messing up two last vertical rows of pixels (rows 1919&1920) in full hd picture?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12668418

It doesn't in my setup and I didn't tweak much of anything. After reading all these threads and then purchasing the thing I thought it was going to take quite a bit of time to get it working. I was wrong. I just configured a few settings and that was it. it's working great and I haven't seen any of those issues.
post #4464 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_donkey View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post12665219

Works on Yamaha too.

Well i guess i might go for the 3800 and cancel my 3808 order.
I think these Denons werent ready for release yet.
Too many firmwares, too many bugs.
If you pay so much for a receiver that is suposed to do 7.1 hd audio and it doesnt, that not good.

If it is a receiver problem, people can't hope it will be fixed on a firmware upgrade. Because it can also be a hardware limitation like the ps3 that isnt able to bitstream True HD and DTS HD

Wyatt and his family was riding out of town....one of the cowboys said...well then, Buh BYE!
post #4465 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 01:52 PM

Hello,

I have 3 HDMI devices that I run through my Denon AVR-3808CI:

Cable DVR
PS3
XBox 360

I output to my Sony 50" SXRD 1080p TV via the HDMI cable. In the settings for the 3 inputs what should video convert to? Thank you.
post #4466 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJonesUSC View Post

It doesn't in my setup and I didn't tweak much of anything. After reading all these threads and then purchasing the thing I thought it was going to take quite a bit of time to get it working. I was wrong. I just configured a few settings and that was it. it's working great and I haven't seen any of those issues.

This was with 0 overscan? This receiver starts to feel better all the time.
post #4467 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:

This was with 0 overscan? This receiver starts to feel better all the time.

If that's the default setting, then yes. BTW, the source is an HR21 satalite box, not sure if that would make a difference.
post #4468 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoogan View Post

Thanks for your response, I felt like I tried everything I could before I sent it back, including 2 calls to Denon (45 min wait for a 2 min discussion). Basically all Denon said was to get a new router.

I think if I could have got that first fw update, other issues could have been resolved. The 3808 I have now was able to connect and update fw on first try and also pull up iternet radio on first try. Pretty much plug in and play. (absolutely not the case before) I certainly could have missed something and saved me time and effort with the return. But happy now. thnx

Maybe I have a bad unit... I still cannot connect despite reset--- Login failed...

I use a D-link DIR-655 router, do I need to open any ports for the Denon? (I shouldn't need to, but I think I might ask just in case...)
post #4469 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJonesUSC View Post

If that's the default setting, then yes. BTW, the source is an HR21 satalite box, not sure if that would make a difference.

I meant the overscan setting of your display/projector to make sure no borders is cut out from the picture. This is required as Denon allegedly messes up just the two rightmost rows of pixels.

If someone has PS3 or PC connected to Denon using 1080p could they try out those test patterns: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post12558172
post #4470 of 20233 Old 01-03-2008, 03:39 PM

Anybody. I'm about to buy 3808 from J&R. I am worry about not getting the latest firmware in the unit. I saw in Denon latest update firmware is already out 12/21/07. What is the latest firmware I expect to see if I buy the unit let say tomorrow. Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page