The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 184 - AVS Forum
First ... 182  183  184 185  186  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread
Milzi's Avatar Milzi 01:27 PM 02-03-2008
I'm looking for for a receiver for good HD-sound and video processing. I was first thinking about Denon 3808, but I have read that the upscaling in the Faroudja DCDi video chip is not so good compared to HQV Reon that is in the Onkyo 905. But I read about a lot of other problems with the Onkyo 905. The Yamaha RX-V3800 and the Anchor Bay 1010 chip should also be doing a better job than the Faroudja DCDi in the 3808. But Yamaha only upscale analog sources at 480i or 480p.

Still I feel for the 3808...but also I would like to have good DVD upscaling. Do the 3808 upscale all sources? Any comments...?

pemarsh's Avatar pemarsh 02:21 PM 02-03-2008
It has been reviewed that both the 4308 and 3808 have very poor 1080i deinterlacing capability, and this should be left up to the TV.

How do make the job of deinterlacing the TV's job, and not the Denon?
Milzi's Avatar Milzi 02:28 PM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pemarsh View Post

It has been reviewed that both the 4308 and 3808 have very poor 1080i deinterlacing capability, and this should be left up to the TV.

Ok...but I also read in the Onkyo 875 thread that the Sony TV-upscaling is very poor compared to the Reon upscaling. For me the Onkyo 875 seems like a better choice from the video processing point of view.
pemarsh's Avatar pemarsh 03:10 PM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milzi View Post

Ok...but I also read in the Onkyo 875 thread that the Sony TV-upscaling is very poor compared to the Reon upscaling. For me the Onkyo 875 seems like a better choice from the video processing point of view.

I would tend to agree, but when I was reading about it, so many complaints came up about lip syncing and over heating. There seemed to be a lot of unhappy people there. I wonder if INTEGRA (Onkyo's upper line of AVRs) is better for lip syncing, etc.
HumanMedia's Avatar HumanMedia 05:08 PM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newwatch View Post

Wow...this makes it seem like a really expensive switch box. The Onkyo and Yamaha might have the edge here.

Any idea why only the Onkyo is THX certified?

Neither of those do upscaling nor deinterlacing perfectly either.

The Onkyo is better as it uses the Reon, but even its Reon implementation is known to be poor compared to ones in players and displays.

The core role of a receiver is a sound format decoder, spatial and temporal processing, multichannel preamplifier, multichannel power amplifier, and switching. Upscaling and deinterlacing is more commonly (and usually better) done by players and displays.
am4966's Avatar am4966 06:15 PM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller View Post

I called Electronics Expo and they insist they are still an authorized dealer. And in fact if you put the zip code of 07522 into the denon web site electronics expo is still listed. I will try to call Denon early tomorrow just to verify.

You know, maybe they just rotate the highlighted names on that page of dealers....If I recall, 6ave's name was on it in big letters, like EE. Now they are down a little.

Just a thought I had?

am
gavin1021's Avatar gavin1021 07:58 PM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by am4966 View Post

You know, maybe they just rotate the highlighted names on that page of dealers....If I recall, 6ave's name was on it in big letters, like EE. Now they are down a little.

Just a thought I had?

am

However, 6 Ave is still listed below that on Denon's site. I will need to check on this also. I bought one from EE about 2 weeks ago.
Newwatch's Avatar Newwatch 07:58 PM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by am4966 View Post

Just a thought I had?

am

Noticed that J&R has come off the list as well. Wonder if Denon is cleaning up their website.
fickle's Avatar fickle 08:22 PM 02-03-2008
hi all,

i have noticed that ever since i installed the 3808CI, during playing of media or devices (xbox360 / dvd player ect) that when some event happens (eg, someone turns on a light somewhere in the house), the video cuts off for about 2 seconds and comes back.

to rectify this, i have purchased and now using a UPS to deliver constant power to the reciever, however, this anomoly still occurs. i mentioned this to a friend of mine and he said it sounds like the voltage regulator within the 3808 is defective thus i should turn it it (once he realized i was running a UPS behind it)

does anyone have opinions / thoughts on this?

cheers
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 08:31 PM 02-03-2008
ARe you sure it's not associtaed with HDMI handshaking? That will produce those same results you described.
fickle's Avatar fickle 10:01 PM 02-03-2008
i dont have any HDMI components.. only component / RGB (not RCA .. still trying to figure difference)

and since you braught that up, what is the fix for it (HDMI issue)
~Ohdee~'s Avatar ~Ohdee~ 10:14 PM 02-03-2008
Wow, first off what an awesome thread. Tones of tweaking information to be found! I picked up the 3808ci yesterday. I've been playing with it none stop since. I've read a bunch of this thread but so far haven't come across this question so I'll ask it.

I'm running Sony BD S500 to 3808ci via HDMI. I'm the running out from 3808ci to Panasonic Th50PX60U via HDMI. My display is 720p.

My question for those of you that don't have a 1080p display is what did you set the 3808ci resolution out at? Did you go with 1080i or 720p?

I've tried them both and frankly is almost too close to call. What do you think would be the better setting choice?
agent_kith's Avatar agent_kith 10:30 PM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ohdee~ View Post

I've tried them both and frankly is almost too close to call. What do you think would be the better setting choice?

Set it to whatever you like?
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 10:36 PM 02-03-2008
I have mine set for pass through. I don't want the 3808 doing anything to the video. That is what I have an HDMI FLea and VP50pro for.
carrera1's Avatar carrera1 10:54 PM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pemarsh View Post

I cannot tell the difference with between my Samsung 5271 or 3808 doing the deinterlacing. I flip it back and forth and I can't see it. Yeah, if your using some kind of test pattern it might be different but that is not the real world. To have the TV do the deinterlacing is easy... turn the IP scaler off. Very simple.
carrera1's Avatar carrera1 11:02 PM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fickle View Post

hi all,

i have noticed that ever since i installed the 3808CI, during playing of media or devices (xbox360 / dvd player ect) that when some event happens (eg, someone turns on a light somewhere in the house), the video cuts off for about 2 seconds and comes back.

to rectify this, i have purchased and now using a UPS to deliver constant power to the reciever, however, this anomoly still occurs. i mentioned this to a friend of mine and he said it sounds like the voltage regulator within the 3808 is defective thus i should turn it it (once he realized i was running a UPS behind it)

does anyone have opinions / thoughts on this?

cheers

It's the electrical in the house. The UPS would not mitgate this type of issue. You need a line conditioner.
JonW747's Avatar JonW747 11:17 PM 02-03-2008
An inexpensive UPS just passes on the line voltage. An expensive ups that re-generated the line voltage would likely be poor for audio, underpowered, and introduce noise.
pemarsh's Avatar pemarsh 11:19 PM 02-03-2008
Can the Denon 3808 wirelessly connect to an Apple Airport extreme network??

Can you custom name the HDMI inputs (like you can for Sony 5300) ??
jeffwine's Avatar jeffwine 07:43 AM 02-04-2008
does the Lynksys wireless bridge and the 3808 work in a secured wireless enviroment. Or do I have to disable my WEB security. I do not want to have to turn the security off.
ZenFly's Avatar ZenFly 07:52 AM 02-04-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera1 View Post

I cannot tell the difference with between my Samsung 5271 or 3808 doing the deinterlacing. I flip it back and forth and I can't see it. Yeah, if your using some kind of test pattern it might be different but that is not the real world. To have the TV do the deinterlacing is easy... turn the IP scaler off. Very simple.

Add me to that list. I have the Denon doing the upscaling of my DTV HDDVR which is set at 1080p, my Direct Tivo SD DVR which sends via SVHS *480p I think. All sources go to the Denon and are up scaled to 1080p > HDMI > 5271. This set up looks amazing AFAIC.

Test patterns are just that. The Super Bowl looked otherworldly.
s2silber's Avatar s2silber 07:55 AM 02-04-2008
Anyone??

I have my AVR 3808CI set up in a 5.1 configuration, bi-amped. For Zone 2 audio, I have an outboard amp' connected to the 3808 through the Zone 2 Pre-out L-R outputs. I can get analog sources such as CD in Zone 2 without any problem, however I cannot get any sound when XM SatTu is selected. I understand that digital input signals cannot be heard in Zone 2, but with my AVR 3806 I was always able to get the XM signal in my Zone 2. Please advise.

One other question is how do I activate IP Upscaling for just one of my sources? Thanks.
COEX-Pilot's Avatar COEX-Pilot 08:16 AM 02-04-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwine View Post

does the Lynksys wireless bridge and the 3808 work in a secured wireless enviroment. Or do I have to disable my WEB security. I do not want to have to turn the security off.

The D-Link Wireless Bridge/Game Controller I have allows the use of security. I'm sure the Linksys will do the same. Why not check the data sheets on the Linksys site.

This is from the D-Link site:

The DWL-G820 Wireless Game Adapter is also highly configurable, using any Java-enabled Web browser. With support for several advanced features including Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and 128-bit WEP encryption, the Wireless Gaming Adapter also protects your wireless signal
towerz's Avatar towerz 08:17 AM 02-04-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwine View Post

Depends on which Bridge you're talking about.

The WET11 (Wireless-B) will do WEP encryption.
The WET54G (Wireless-G) will do up to WPA (not WPA2 ?)

If you're considering using a WRT54G Linksys Router as a bridge like some of us forum folk do (using 3rd party firmware) then it can support up to WPA2 encryption.

The first two "bridges" only have a single ethernet port, the Router-Bridge you can connect 4 ethernet devices to.

All the security/encryption is done in the Bridge itself, the receiver has nothing to do with security, unless you want to use MAC Address filtering, then you might need to use the Denon MAC (or possibly just the Bridge MAC)
Toadkiller's Avatar Toadkiller 08:39 AM 02-04-2008
ok so I called denon this morning to ask about Electronics Expo. He was suprised to hear they were no longer listed on the authorized E-tailers so he put me on hold. When he came back he said that I was correct they and J & R are no longer on that list. Something about Denon wanting to cull some of the online places as they are a big pain when it comes to warranties etc so they wanted to cull the list to a more manageable number.

He also said that I knew as much as they did right now because he wasn't really sure if my purchase through Electronics Expo was authorized or not. He was pretty sure that it was, 90 percent sure but to be positive I am to call with a serial number when it is delivered today just to make 100 percent sure. They are still authorized retail stores just not through the web.

So yeah that is as clear as mud. They couldn't really give me any answers as they were just as surprised as I was when they weren't listed. In fact the Denon guy I talked with used to work at Electronics Expo so now he is curious on hearing the "real" story.

I guess if you bought through Electronics Expo and J & R just to make 100 percent sure you are covered you should call Denon with a serial number.
towerz's Avatar towerz 08:46 AM 02-04-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lffisher View Post

I have a similar issue. Sometimes the female in the house doesn't watch to watch TV with the full surround sound and wants the sound to come from the TV. However, I'm currently using a very old 35" tube with only RCA red/white 2 channel audio plugs (no HDMI/component). I can't seem to find a way to send two channel sound to the monitor. There are 6 different inputs on the receiver that accept 2 channel sound IN, but how can I send 2 channel OUT to the monitor?

Thanks - and I'm new to this receiver, so any replies about programming this receiver need to be at the 9 year old level. Thanks a lot - much appreciated.

Larry

If you look on the RCA Red&White "Audio" Row, you'll see an "OUT" set of (stereo) audio plugs.
Monitor out is only for Video (HDMI is an exception), found in each video section: RCA/S-Video/Component/HDMI
Audio Out is available in Stereo/Optical/HDMI in the respective sections.

There are 2 possible gotcha's..

- Not many (old tube) TV's have RCA Audio-In to allow sound to play via their speakers.. though if it is a 35" model it might be more advanced.
- The Audio Out might have to be switched when she wants to use that option? Normally sound would come out of the Receiver speakers (when it's powered on) using the Stereo Out feature might not be something that is "Always on" and might need to be activated to turn off the sound out of the Denon. This could be some ugly extra steps.

You may want to consider splitting your sound, I'm assuming she's watching a cable box when she wants to have TV-only sound and not Movies.. etc.
Cable Boxes usually have a minimum of 2 outputs for sound, (TV and VCR) so you might be able to send stereo sound to your TV and Receiver, keep the receiver turned off when you just want TV speakers, and turn your TV volume down when you want to use the Reciever speakers. If that's not supported you can always use an RCA Y-splitter (x2) to split a single set of RCA jacks to both devices.

Bypassing a receiver is not always easy but it's usually always possible, just depends on what devices you're using.
rhyme's Avatar rhyme 09:10 AM 02-04-2008
I just got off the phone with Denon and they said the 3808 unit I purchased from Electronics Expo was warrantied and not to worry about it.

I asked the rep why they were taken down and he put me on hold for about 10 minutes and came back and said not to worry my unit would be fully warrantied. He didn't know why they weren't listed anymore. I asked him if I should cancel my order and he said no..

So there ya have it... I guess if you are concerned just call Denon customer service -- 800-497-8921.
Toadkiller's Avatar Toadkiller 09:14 AM 02-04-2008
They, meaning Denon, told me they couldn't tell me with 100 percent certainty that my Denon would be under warranty unless I call with the serial number. The guy I talked with this morning at Denon was very surprised they were not listed anymore. Guess we will hear more about this when the information starts to flow down hill. I emailed Electronics Expo and they are still insisting that they are an authorized etailer, I told them to call Denon themselves if they didn't believe me.
towerz's Avatar towerz 09:30 AM 02-04-2008
2008 Authorized Dealers

edited: the site has been updated today and all the e-tailers are back!
s2silber's Avatar s2silber 09:32 AM 02-04-2008
Electronics Expo is still listed on Denon's website. Just do a search by state (NJ) for online dealers, and they come right up. So does J&R when you enter NY.
Toadkiller's Avatar Toadkiller 09:37 AM 02-04-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Electronics Expo is still listed on Denon's website. Just do a search by state (NJ) for online dealers, and they come right up. So does J&R when you enter NY.

Read my first post. They are still authorized as a RETAILER. They are no longer listed on the Authorized denon E-Tailer list. Same with J&R.

It is still unclear what that means exactly.
Tags: Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
First ... 182  183  184 185  186  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop