The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 20256 Old 08-20-2007, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have never seen a choice below 80hz, like the picturs shows 40, 60?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 20256 Old 08-20-2007, 08:08 PM

Anyone else have their GUI menu disappear from the TV and start displaying from the front panel instead? For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the menu to switch back to the TV and the manual seems to be no help at all.
post #723 of 20256 Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmayberry View Post

Anyone else have their GUI menu disappear from the TV and start displaying from the front panel instead? For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the menu to switch back to the TV and the manual seems to be no help at all.

Fully power off your Denon and back on. That should get your GUI back. This is a bug that Denon needs to fix.
post #724 of 20256 Old 08-20-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryray View Post

I have never seen a choice below 80hz, like the picturs shows 40, 60?

Set speakers to small and use "advanced" crossover settings to set per speaker
post #725 of 20256 Old 08-20-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

Fully power off your Denon and back on. That should get your GUI back. This is a bug that Denon needs to fix.

its totally lame, i cant belive this was over looked during testing
post #726 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 01:35 AM

i did a quick search of this thread and didnt find the answer i was looking for.. when playing back 5ch/7ch i have my fronts set to large and sub is set to lfe only. the display on the right shows that the sub should be outputting something. but i get no sub. if i change it to lfe+main it works... the option is to set the front speakers to small and when set to lfe only the sub works...anybody else have this problem? i have a set of klipsch sf-3's up front

thanks ed
post #727 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

Thanks! that worked. Definitely seems to be a bug. I thought I had fumbled something, but it seems to happen frequently only while I am using the Internet radio feature. The menu on-screen freezes while the one on the front panel of the AVR continues to function.

So far I really like the system. My real complaint it with the manual- it is incomplete, and could also use a good index. Features are mentioned but stop just short of a full explanation. For example, night mode. It does not indicate what the settings low, medium and high are. You are left to guess if that related to the degree that the effect is applied, or if they represent three distinct settings doing different things. One can guess, but it is ambiguous.
post #728 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfootLgt View Post

i did a quick search of this thread and didnt find the answer i was looking for.. when playing back 5ch/7ch i have my fronts set to large and sub is set to lfe only. the display on the right shows that the sub should be outputting something. but i get no sub. if i change it to lfe+main it works... the option is to set the front speakers to small and when set to lfe only the sub works...anybody else have this problem? i have a set of klipsch sf-3's up front

thanks ed

Ed,
I have had issues with no sub output on all sources. I have found you need to scrap the Audyssey automated setup and setup the speakers manually, set the fronts to small (I have RTI 10's) still set the sub to LFE+Main and make sure you set the crossovers in the advance tab. Mine front at 40 sub at 120, it seems to help I have my sub allot more but still not all the time.
It now works on DVD's, hit or miss on TV and XBox360.
post #729 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 07:11 AM

thanks..^^^^.i never ran the audessy setup yet.. i just got the unit last night
post #730 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmayberry View Post

Thanks! that worked. Definitely seems to be a bug. I thought I had fumbled something, but it seems to happen frequently only while I am using the Internet radio feature. The menu on-screen freezes while the one on the front panel of the AVR continues to function.

So far I really like the system. My real complaint it with the manual- it is incomplete, and could also use a good index. Features are mentioned but stop just short of a full explanation. For example, night mode. It does not indicate what the settings low, medium and high are. You are left to guess if that related to the degree that the effect is applied, or if they represent three distinct settings doing different things. One can guess, but it is ambiguous.

Yeah it really only happens when using the NET/USB source.

I completely agree with you. The manual needs an index. And I too am wondering the difference between the three night modes.
post #731 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 10:18 AM

When the GUI bug happened to me during Internet radio playing I just held down the Enter button (the one between the 4 navigational arrows on the !crappy! remote) until playing the radio station stopped, then I was able to hit Menu a couple of times and the menu was back. I think.
post #732 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
are there any official reviews
post #733 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prose111 View Post

How do I know if my TV Samsung LN-T5265F (1080p) is doing the up converting or if the Denon 3808 is upconverting. And which way is the best way to handle up converting. It seems that the non HD channels look worse when added the Denon 3808. Please let me know if I have it setup correctly. Thank you so much.

Hey, I have the same problem did you figure what the solution is?
Thanks for help
post #734 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk View Post

in past denon models I've just used some from a Cat5 cable and it worked just fine.

Cat5 is twisted pair, and it has different impedance and frequency characteristics than plain old speaker wire. You may not get optimal performance if you use it, due to impedance mismatches and attenuation.
YMMV
post #735 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:

I can across something interesting. I have my living rm LCD hooked up HDMI from the Denon 3808 and my bed rm LCD using the component monitor out. Over the HDMI connection when viewing non HD stations it does not stretch the pictures and keeps it at 4:3, however for the component video out it stretches the non HD images to make it full screen. I would like to not have it stretch the pictures. Can someone please let me know where in the Denon setup I can go to change that setting. Thank you so much.

I am having the same problem, do you have a resolution that you can pass it on?
Thanks
post #736 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:

How do I know if my TV Samsung LN-T5265F (1080p) is doing the up converting or if the Denon 3808 is upconverting. And which way is the best way to handle up converting. It seems that the non HD channels look worse when added the Denon 3808. Please let me know if I have it setup correctly. Thank you so much.

Check your TV manual. On my Sharp, the display shows the input signal resolution, so I can always tell whether my AVR is doing the work or not.
post #737 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 02:04 PM
PMA

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As more of you are setting this up, can someone let me know what is being output from Surround B and Surround Back when the content is Dolby 5.1? Right now, I am getting my rear channel audio when connected to Surround A. I have a pair of speakers in Surround B but am not sure what I am hearing (something is being output but I am not sure what it is).
post #738 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A few quick questions if I may:

-How long is the delay changing channels when 3808 is processing video?
-Does it get better if just doing pass through?
-If so, how long?
-How about changing from 1 channel at 480i to another channel at 720P? Is this a different amount of time?
-Is it configurable by source input and/or input resolution? (So source A (480i) could be deinterlaced and Source B (720P) just pass through?)

Thanks
David

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #739 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdayton View Post

A few quick questions if I may:

-How long is the delay changing channels when 3808 is processing video?
-Does it get better if just doing pass through?
-If so, how long?
-How about changing from 1 channel at 480i to another channel at 720P? Is this a different amount of time?
-Is it configurable by source input and/or input resolution? (So source A (480i) could be deinterlaced and Source B (720P) just pass through?)

Thanks
David

The delay from the Denon for me is pretty short: maybe 1-2 seconds. If you're just passing through, you may still see delay, but this all depends upon how quickly your TV and Tuner take to display an image. Frankly, I do not see much difference at all between having the Denon in my system versus just using my Tivo S3 and Sharp LCD.
post #740 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyDave View Post

Cat5 is twisted pair, and it has different impedance and frequency characteristics than plain old speaker wire. You may not get optimal performance if you use it, due to impedance mismatches and attenuation.
YMMV

We were talking about with the 12v trigger. I'd NEVER recommend using Cat5 cables for speaker wire.

Erik

post #741 of 20256 Old 08-21-2007, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
drewj

I'm surprised, somehow I got impression from posts earlier in this thread that there was a more significant delay (of course I can't find it now). Maybe I misread.

1-2s is about what I've got now so that is liveable. I will only be processing 480i in the receiver. I've been torn between Marantz 7001 and the Denon 3808, since I really don't need the network features or video processing.

Anyone care to offer opinion on the sound/switching capability between these 2? Price really isn't the issue, they're within a few hundred.

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #742 of 20256 Old 08-22-2007, 05:48 AM

Has anyone used the iPod Dock to play video or pictures? I followed everything that the manuals suggested but was not able to actually view anything on my television.
post #743 of 20256 Old 08-22-2007, 06:41 AM

Anyone know how a Zune would work on one of these things? Woot's gone one up for a pretty reasonable price.
post #744 of 20256 Old 08-22-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post

Anyone know how a Zune would work on one of these things? Woot's gone one up for a pretty reasonable price.

I don't know if there's a special dock that works with the Denon so you can control it via onscreen menus, but at the least you can hook it up with an analog RCA stereo cable to one of the Denon's analog inputs.

But the Denon is networkable, it seems to be much easier to stream music from your PC than hook up another device to it.

I tried streaming and mp3 and wma files hurt my ears. They sound ok on the PC due to the poor audio components but hook them up to a good audio system and you can definitely tell how much these lossy formats suck. I only tried 192kbps files, maybe higher bitrates are better, but from now on I think I'll just do FLAC for my CD rips.
post #745 of 20256 Old 08-22-2007, 06:53 AM

I am using a Direct TV HD DVR with a HDMI cable into the receiver. The DVR is outputting at 1080i, and I was having the receiver upconvert to 1080p. I am starting to notice that when I am watching TV occasionally I will lose the video, but not the audio for about 3-4 seconds.Then the video comes back. I am not changing channels, it's happening on the existing channel. Any thoughts?
post #746 of 20256 Old 08-22-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark69 View Post

I am using a Direct TV HD DVR with a HDMI cable into the receiver. The DVR is outputting at 1080i, and I was having the receiver upconvert to 1080p. I am starting to notice that when I am watching TV occasionally I will lose the video, but not the audio for about 3-4 seconds.Then the video comes back. I am not changing channels, it's happening on the existing channel. Any thoughts?

Are you sure it's not the DVR box or the DirecTV signal? Try setting it to 1080i passthrough the receiver straight to the TV (no conversion to 1080p) and see if it still happens.

I do the same thing from my cablebox (1080i -> 1080p) and I haven't noticed anything like this. But it's not the DirecTV box.
post #747 of 20256 Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT23 View Post

Has anyone used the iPod Dock to play video or pictures? I followed everything that the manuals suggested but was not able to actually view anything on my television.

I had the same problem myself, and I found something in the manual that helped me. If you go to page 33 for Option Set-up, then to page 34 under NET/USB/iPod/Tuner you need to set the time the ipod is on screen. When I discovered this I found the default setting was off. The 30's and 10's is seconds which I had figured out by changing the settings. It's the same settings for XM also.

Hope this helps.
post #748 of 20256 Old 08-22-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDracula View Post

Are you sure it's not the DVR box or the DirecTV signal? Try setting it to 1080i passthrough the receiver straight to the TV (no conversion to 1080p) and see if it still happens.

I do the same thing from my cablebox (1080i -> 1080p) and I haven't noticed anything like this. But it's not the DirecTV box.

Unfortunately I am not sure if it is the Direct Tv box. This is the first time I have tried to upconvert the signal from the box. I always had the hdmi pass through the receiver and didn't have any problems. I did change the format from the box from 1080i to 720p to see if that makes a difference.
post #749 of 20256 Old 08-22-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdayton View Post

drewj

I'm surprised, somehow I got impression from posts earlier in this thread that there was a more significant delay (of course I can't find it now). Maybe I misread.

1-2s is about what I've got now so that is liveable. I will only be processing 480i in the receiver. I've been torn between Marantz 7001 and the Denon 3808, since I really don't need the network features or video processing.

Anyone care to offer opinion on the sound/switching capability between these 2? Price really isn't the issue, they're within a few hundred.

You know, one thing I just found was that I had my S3 Tivo set to a fixed 480p output somehow, so when changing channels, there was no change in the resolution of the source material, which makes the channel changes much faster. Of course, a 480p output makes HD look terrible!!!

Now, I have the Tivo back to pass the native resolution to the Denon. When I switch between channels that are both 1080i, where the Denon deinterlaces to 1080p, it only takes about 1.5 seconds to change channels. For changing between 1080i to 480i channels, it's more like 3-4 seconds.

Hope this helps.
post #750 of 20256 Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark69 View Post

I had the same problem myself, and I found something in the manual that helped me. If you go to page 33 for Option Set-up, then to page 34 under NET/USB/iPod/Tuner you need to set the time the ipod is on screen. When I discovered this I found the default setting was off. The 30's and 10's is seconds which I had figured out by changing the settings. It's the same settings for XM also.

So by changing this setting, you are now able to see menu options to view pictures or videos? The menu on page 50 makes it sound like it should be easy. Doesnt quite work as easily as described.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page