post #991 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird2003 View Post

Hello,

i have posted this somewhere but i did not got the answer i wanted maybe you guys can help me.

My speakers:

Front : Kenwood LS-V710
3-way 4 Speaker System [Magnetically Shield]
Woofer 200mm cone Type x2
Midrange 100mm cone type
Tweeter Linaeum Type
8Ω
180w
35Hz-30000Hz (Freq Response)
600Hz, 3000Hz (Crossover Response)

Center : Kenwood CS – V610
3-way 3Speaker System [Magnetically Shield]
Woofer 100mm cone Type x2
Tweeter Linaeum Type
8Ω
150w
80Hz-30000Hz (Freq Response)
1000Hz, 3000Hz (Crossover Response)

Surround: Kenwood RS- 610
2-way 3Speaker System [Dipolar Radiation]
Woofer 100mm cone Type
Fullrange 80mm cone Type x 2
8Ω
100w
100Hz-20000Hz (Freq Response)
2000Hz (Crossover Response)

My scenario:

i set my speakers to "Small" so that i am able to set the crossover individually for all the speakers. My front able to produce powerfull kick ass bass.

Settings for 3808

Front - 80hz
Center - 80Hz
surround - 120 hz ?? (not sure) (please advise)

IF i use a velodyne CHT-10R, for the crossover knob should i set it to 80hz , 120hz (only if i set my surround to 120 hz or what) or direct .

must i set the subwoofer crossover as the same as the 3808 highest freq ( in my case 120 hz) ?? if is set the sub to 80hz (THX) does that means there is a gap of 40 hz??

i dont fully understand direct in the subwoofer.

someone please share your expertise and advise.

Thanks alot

Anyone able to advise me ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird2003 View Post

Anyone able to advise me ??

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you set the subwoofer crossover frequency seperately. And if you use LFE, does it not matter what setting you physically put your sub to? Won't the AVR override the sub's crossover adjustments. I've got an infinity, so there's no actual "direct" choice...the receiver has always "decided" the crossover for the sub. Sounds like this would be the same choice for you or "direct" - don't know as I've only read posts about velodyne, never worked with one.

Try direct, if that doesn't work, set your sub to 80 and your avr's lfe to 80. Maybe I didn't understand the question, but that's what I'd do.
post #993 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=116

BUG:

NET - Playing PC music via Twonkyvision Media Server or any media server........

The bottom of the TV screen shows that I can "PAUSE" with the center CH SEL/ENTER button. I cannot get it to pause. The left arrow button works to go back and the up/down arrows work to go the last/next selection.

Anyone else on the Pause?
--------------------------------

Can some else verify this?

Thanks!
post #994 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 10:29 AM

Does this unit upscale/de-interlace signals passed over HDMI or does it just pass-through like the Sonys apparently do?

This might be dumb but what is "Denon Link III"? Noticed it on the specs, and someone in the thread mentioned it's easy to mistake for the ethernet port.
post #995 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAVHTx View Post

Does this unit upscale/de-interlace signals passed over HDMI or does it just pass-through like the Sonys apparently do?

Yes, the new Denons will upscale to the resolution of your choosing (see pic). They will also upconvert analog to digital (e.g. component to HDMI) and HDMI>HDMI scaling.
LL
post #996 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

If you can gain internet access via the Ethernet port on the PC then that will be fine. I don't do that myself, perhaps someone else is doing that and they will reply.

I would use an Ethernet router and connect the PC and 3808 to the inputs on the router, and then the router to the modem....done.

Regardless, it can be done with correct equipment, AND not an expensive change if needed.

This might solve your problem: http://www.dsl-warehouse.com/product...7afd81b30c1257
Has a USB port for your PC connection; Ethernet for the 3808......

Here is some info on equipment needed for internet via the Denon manual.....

Yeah.. You need

A Wireless Router, with the PC connected, either Wirelessly or Direct connect
A Wireless Bridge if you're AMP is too far from the Router, the Bridge take normal Ethernet connection and convert it to wireless. I've paid mine 60$CAD on Ebay last week (connecting the 360 and my futur 3808CI)

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #997 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
if using remote can help you change sound mode, dsp modes, apply plx ii 7.1 on the fly?
post #998 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Can someone *please* comment on the performance of the AVR-3808ci in terms of speed?

Stuff like:

going from full power off to full ready state?
switching between audio formats stereo <-> dolby digital?
switching between sources?
any slugishness in the GUI?
any slugishness in remote response?
etc.

Thanks!
post #999 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

if using remote can help you change sound mode, dsp modes, apply plx ii 7.1 on the fly?

Yes, using the remote when in AMP mode, the icons can be pressed to access the various sound fields.
post #1000 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAVHTx View Post

This might be dumb but what is "Denon Link III"? Noticed it on the specs, and someone in the thread mentioned it's easy to mistake for the ethernet port.

You can use this to connect Denon DVD players to your receiver. Its another way to transfer digital audio to your Denone receiver. On some Denon players (2930ci), this is the only way to output multi channel audio from an SACD. When enabling DenonLink on the 3808/4308 though, some other features are disabled (ability to output digital sources on other zones).
post #1001 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post

Can someone *please* comment on the performance of the AVR-3808ci in terms of speed?

Stuff like:

going from full power off to full ready state?
switching between audio formats stereo <-> dolby digital?
switching between sources?
any slugishness in the GUI?
any slugishness in remote response?
etc.

Thanks!

I have no complaints about the speed to the AVR with respect to the items you mention.

Power on to listening takes probably less than 10 sec.
Audio formats are right on the remote icons; one button push.
Sources - one button push on the remote to change.
GUI - excellent response
Remote- excellent response.

There are three macro buttons that can be programmed. I have one setup that turns on the AVR, HDTV on, Cable STB on, and then Quick Selects TV/Cbl for the source. Bingo! TV is playing....one button.
post #1002 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzxx7 View Post

does anyone know why my avr is converting my sound to 2.1 when the input audio is supposed to be 5.1? this is during direct mode

Nobody seemed to answer this sufficiently. I notice the same thing on my 4308:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=954

Direct mode should be transferring 5.1 directly to 5.1 out - not 2.1 I've tried this on a bunch of sources. But then again, I'm wondering why I would ever use Direct mode on Dolby or DTS since it disables Audessey.
post #1003 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have no complaints about the speed to the AVR with respect to the items you mention.

GUI - excellent response

There are three macro buttons that can be programmed. I have one setup that turns on the AVR, HDTV on, Cable STB on, and then Quick Selects TV/Cbl for the source. Bingo! TV is playing....one button.

Thanks for the feedback.

*WOW* power off to listening takes 10 SECONDS???? JEEZ! I thought my 10yr old Sony was bad in the 2 to 3 second range.

I guess I have to get used to the fact that the days of "instant on" electronics are long gone .

I can understand it on a PC or something like a Tivo that has an OS, but I just don't get why they are making DVD players, AVRs, etc. that have such substantial "boot up" times. Even my cell phone takes a few seconds to "boot up"... crazy...

* edit * heck... even the Tivo should boot up faster... that thing is ridiculously slow... takes about 5 minutes to power on.
post #1004 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 12:17 PM

Well, look at something like the Sony 3100ES DVD player, vs their 100 dollar one (we have both in the house, connected to different TVs). The ES takes probably 20 seconds to get to a "play" menu from power off. The $100 one takes probably 5 seconds. Is 15 seconds wait a big deal? No. Opening the tray on the 3100ES, I can press the button on the couch, walk over to the DVD player and have the tray open after 5 seconds of standing there. The other is instantaneous. The picture quality and audio from the ES is better, so worth the extra minutes wait. I don't know why people split hairs about having to wait less than half a minute in all cases for their movie to be ready to play .
post #1005 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep in mined that is the one button selection with power up to the TV, STB, and AMP to full on and video, and audio working! With integrated video things take a little longer to sync and come up to full speed. Timed: 10 sec

With the TV on, and STB on, turning on the AVR to get the video from the STB to the TV and audio output. Timed: 6 sec

bwc
post #1006 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post

I can understand it on a PC or something like a Tivo that has an OS, but I just don't get why they are making DVD players, AVRs, etc. that have such substantial "boot up" times. Even my cell phone takes a few seconds to "boot up"... crazy...

* edit * heck... even the Tivo should boot up faster... that thing is ridiculously slow... takes about 5 minutes to power on.

because the things you are talking about do have an OS. Everything is basically a computer nowadays. Some things more than others; cell phones and AVRs are very high up the list.

Erik

post #1007 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, it just takes getting used to I guess. It just feels like my long awaited migration to HD has been a major step back in terms of integration and fit & finish / polish for the $$$ I'm spending if you know what I mean. Nothing really seems to "work like it should" .

I guess what gets me is that the Tivo and PC are hard drive based, which we know is slow... but its not like the AVR or cell phone have a hard drive in them. "Everything on a chip" type devices should be instant on IMO .
post #1008 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 12:41 PM

I agree... it's complete nonsense that we have so many expensive units that are half-baked, and don't do what they are supposed to with new HDMI versions every 6 months when 1.1 didn't even work properly. Deciding on an AV receiver this year (for me anyway), has had more to do with learning which receivers have none-or-few glitches instead of which one has Reon, the most HDMI inputs, Burr-Browns, etc. .

BTW, another small question. Canthe 3808CI accept 1080p from a component input and output it over HDMI?
post #1009 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

I have a couple of questions about the 3808:
1. Does Zone 2 only play from analog sources?
I am able to play my CD changer (analog), and radio (in the denon). I don't have XM and I haven't gotten internet radio to work yet. It won't play anything from my DVD (PS3 via HDMI) or HR-20 (HDMI). Is this an HDMI thing?

2. I have been told to add an optical connection from my STB to my Denon. How do I do this while using HDMI for the video? Also, would using the optical on the STB allow me to hear the audio in Zone 2?

3. Finally, and a bit offthread, my FM reception is plagued with static on some channels. When I move the FM wire around, it improves. Would I benefit from an external FM tuner and should I get one powered or unpowered?

Thanks in advance!
post #1010 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloudm View Post
Your experience confirms what I learned - that the letter keys (A-G) and the number keys (1-9) are different depending on whether you're in TUNER or NET/USB mode. Most annoying.

Would you mind doing me a favor, if you don't mind? Would you go into the Harmony software and from the page where you captured the PDF click through to the Learn Commands page and give us a PDF of that one? I'd like to know which ones you kept from the database and for which ones you taught the remote the code.

Thanks for the original PDF, BTW - it was extremely helpful. Can't wait for the hours I have ahead of me for this same project.
Here you go. There are some learned "Input" commands on page 4 that I didn't need because I found working ones in the database, but typical of the awful Harmony programming software, there was no way to delete them. Good luck!

Harmony AVR-3808CI Learned Commands p1-2.pdf 439.4931640625k . file

Harmony AVR-3808CI Learned Commands p3.pdf 276.796875k . file

Harmony AVR-3808CI Learned Commands p4-5.pdf 351.5185546875k . file
post #1011 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a couple of questions about the 3808:
1. Does Zone 2 only play from analog sources?
I am able to play my CD changer (analog), and radio (in the denon). I don't have XM and I haven't gotten internet radio to work yet. It won't play anything from my DVD (PS3 via HDMI) or HR-20 (HDMI). Is this an HDMI thing?

2. I have been told to add an optical connection from my STB to my Denon. How do I do this while using HDMI for the video? Also, would using the optical on the STB allow me to hear the audio in Zone 2?

3. Finally, and a bit offthread, my FM reception is plagued with static on some channels. When I move the FM wire around, it improves. Would I benefit from an external FM tuner and should I get one powered or unpowered?

Thanks in advance!

Page 71 of the manual....see pic.

#2 What is wrong with using the analog audio ouputs?
#3. Yes, poor reception, you need better antenna...maybe Radio Shack. Distance to stations?
LL
post #1012 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte747e View Post

Page 39 of the manual
post #1013 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:

GUI - excellent response

I try the quick button setup but had trouble getting it to do exactly what you just described. I have the components setup in the remote but when I run the script to capture the sequence I does not work foe me. Any suggestions or tips?
post #1014 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

You are trying to CALL via the AMP CALL buttons?
Did you register the commands as shown in the pic? Page 63 of the manual.

I did all of my input commands in one step and saved as CALL #1.

ie Power ON to AVR; Select TV and press ON; Select STB and press ON; press Quick Select 1 (to go to TV/Cbl input).

Something like that...but all steps in one shot and save.
LL
post #1015 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 06:19 PM

Anyone had any issues with video going black for a second or so? Our unit has done this twice now. The audio remained on, but the screen went black. Seems like I remember reading about this with the 3808.
post #1016 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushMojo View Post

Anyone had any issues with video going black for a second or so? Our unit has done this twice now. The audio remained on, but the screen went black. Seems like I remember reading about this with the 3808.

No. Check video cable and make sure it is secure.

Just the normal video blackout when changing channels or sources.
post #1017 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 06:49 PM

I just got the 3808CI this week and just love it!

I am getting the Harmony 390 any day and wondered if anyone had any tips for best way to start configuring it?

Thanks in advance!
post #1018 of 20226 Old 09-02-2007, 10:28 PM

I had the video going to black issue twice today (both times while watching something recorded to the DVR). We're using Comcast with a Motorola DCH3416. All affected content is HD.

BWClark mentioned checking the cable connections. I'll do that but I just connected everything last week and I'm fairly certain they're secure. My issue is exactly as you described - video goes black, but I can still hear the audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark69 View Post

I have a Direct TV HR20 DVR connected to my 3808 with an HDMI cable. I had the HR 20 set to 720p and the 3808 upconverting the signal to 1080p since I own a 1080p Sony XBR TV.

So I have 2 questions about this set-up.

1. Would I be better off picture quality wise setting the HR 20 to native and just having the Denon upconvert the signal once, instead of having the video processed twice like I have it now?

2. Has anyone had problems with the video going black for a couple of seconds when watching with the Denon video convert on? I notice it mostly on my ESPN2 hi def channel, but on other channels also. I understand when you change channels there will be a delay, but this is happening occassionally when I am on the same channel. I don,t lose the audio though.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

post #1019 of 20226 Old 09-03-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=116

BUG:

NET - Playing PC music via Twonkyvision Media Server or any media server........

The bottom of the TV screen shows that I can "PAUSE" with the center CH SEL/ENTER button. I cannot get it to pause. The left arrow button works to go back and the up/down arrows work to go the last/next selection.

Anyone else on the Pause?
--------------------------------

Can some else verify this?

Thanks!

Yes, pause only works on my MP3's or wav files
post #1020 of 20226 Old 09-03-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Page 71 of the manual....see pic.

#2 What is wrong with using the analog audio ouputs?
#3. Yes, poor reception, you need better antenna...maybe Radio Shack. Distance to stations?

It saya the XM cannot be played from Zone 2.

Anyone confirm this?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page