Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 20258 Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prose111 View Post

I have the Wii hooked up component to the Denon and even after changing all the settings in the Wii to full screen and 480p I can not get it to show up full screen. But if I go directly to the TV it is full screen. What do I need to change on the Denon to try and fix this?

I have the WII set-up for WIDE in the WII settings and it looks very good through the Denon upscaled to 1080p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 20258 Old 09-11-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird2003 View Post

1. i want bass from both sub and my front

should i select LFE or LFE+Main ??

2. in the 3808, under crossover, should the LFE= to the higest crossover setting ?? in my case 120 hz ??

2-way 3Speaker System [Dipolar Radiation]
Woofer 100mm cone Type
Fullrange 80mm cone Type x 2
8Ω
100w
100Hz-20000Hz (Freq Response)
2000Hz (Crossover Response)

As you can see my surround is freq resp is 100Hz-20000Hz. Should i set the crossover @ denon to 120 hz or the same as my all the others. which is 60hz.

please advise

Thanks

any expert can shed some light
post #1173 of 20258 Old 09-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:

any expert can shed some light

A high crossover setting like 120 is probably going to present you with more bass content than you may want, especially if your mains are also outputting bass. If you have decent mains, and are setting on both, I'd consider a lower crossover somewhere between 60 and 80.

For your surrounds, I would think 120 as a high pass filter would be worth trying. That would limit the low bass from coming out of the surrounds. If the surrounds are too trebly and lack presence, try crossover a little lower, but no lower than 100.
post #1174 of 20258 Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- Have you tried changing the number of repeats I suggested?

I have been following this thread. I looked in the remote control section, looks like you need to call Harmony to correct this?

Is there a user option somewhere?
post #1175 of 20258 Old 09-11-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryray View Post

I have been following this thread. I looked in the remote control section, looks like you need to call Harmony to correct this?

- It's part of the sticky. You don't need to call Harmony.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=623320

I don't have the 3808ci yet, but my father has a 3806. This is what I use to control that receiver.

Power On Delay: 1600 ms
Inter-key Delay: 100 ms
Input Delay: 200 ms
Inter-Device Delay: 200 ms

Repeats: 2

Try setting the Repeats to 1 if 2 doesn't work correctly.
post #1176 of 20258 Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting a low sub output.
After calibration I had to crank up the sub level to get a decent amount of bass on my DirecTV input but I get almost no bass on the tuner.
I've looked in the menus & manual & the only things I found were LFE & LFE+main & the settings from 0db to 15db, none of the settings seem to do much.

I had great bass on my old receiver, I'm not sure where to look next.

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
post #1177 of 20258 Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrody View Post

Let's see Steve Jobs grow a pair and release a version of OS X that will RUN on a PC.

MS would have a fit
post #1178 of 20258 Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:

What crossover setting you guys use ??

Front = ?
Center = ?
Surround = ?

LFE = ?

please share your settings.

Thanks alot

I was hoping to hear from more owners on this subject. I'm pretty much a novice at this stuff and could use the knowledge of others.
post #1179 of 20258 Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It really depends on your speaker size and their specs. I have a Def Tech 800 package, all of them are set to Small, crossover at 100Hz, LFE 120Hz, Sub LFE+Main.

Run the Audyssey auto calibration and see what it comes up for your setup, it gives you an idea. If you post your speaker model, someone may have your setup and may be able to help you better.

Also, you may get a better answer in the forum for your speakers. It's more of a speaker question than receiver.
post #1180 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 04:49 AM

I have my TiVo Series 3 hooked up to my 3808ci via HDMI. I experience frequent audio dropouts, but only when watching live TV through the TV. If I back up a few seconds and rewatch the same segment after it's been recorded, there is no dropout. When the sound drops out, the "digital" symbol on the front of my receiver and the left-hand diagram of the speakers disappears as well. The fact that the dropout is gone on the replay suggests to me that this is not a problem with a cable signal.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you.
post #1181 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDracula View Post

It really depends on your speaker size and their specs. I have a Def Tech 800 package, all of them are set to Small, crossover at 100Hz, LFE 120Hz, Sub LFE+Main.

Run the Audyssey auto calibration and see what it comes up for your setup, it gives you an idea. If you post your speaker model, someone may have your setup and may be able to help you better.

Also, you may get a better answer in the forum for your speakers. It's more of a speaker question than receiver.

Hello,

I understand what LFE means and what it does. In the advance crossover menu, what does LFE at there ? You mention that you have it at 120Hz. What does it means ?? i don't really understand.

Say, From What i understand

Front = 60Hz - Any thing below 60Hz will be sent to subwoofer
Center = 60Hz - Any thing below 60Hz will be sent to subwoofer
Surround = 100Hz - Any thing below 100Hz will be sent to subwoofer

But Isn’t LFE = Subwoofer ??
or LFE is the bass track in the movie?

LFE = 60Hz

correct me if i am wrong. if LFE is 60, anything below 60 sent to subwoofer and above 60 will be sent to all speakers. right ??

Does LFE must be = to the highest feq u set ?? (in my case 100) or set to the higest feq that my sub can take (in my case 200hz) ??

Someone please advise me

Thanks
post #1182 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

I'm getting a low sub output.
After calibration I had to crank up the sub level to get a decent amount of bass on my DirecTV input but I get almost no bass on the tuner.
I've looked in the menus & manual & the only things I found were LFE & LFE+main & the settings from 0db to 15db, none of the settings seem to do much.

I had great bass on my old receiver, I'm not sure where to look next.

This concerns me. Multiple people have reported a "thinning" of bass when moving to the 3808. Is this a configuration issue? Or something worse?

TheMoose: Are you getting adequate amounts of bass when listening to other sources (ex. DVD)?
post #1183 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndover View Post

I have my TiVo Series 3 hooked up to my 3808ci via HDMI. I experience frequent audio dropouts, but only when watching live TV through the TV. If I back up a few seconds and rewatch the same segment after it's been recorded, there is no dropout. When the sound drops out, the "digital" symbol on the front of my receiver and the left-hand diagram of the speakers disappears as well. The fact that the dropout is gone on the replay suggests to me that this is not a problem with a cable signal.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you.

Have you tried switching the HDMI input your TiVo is plugged into on the 3808?
post #1184 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoBoy58 View Post

I was hoping to hear from more owners on this subject. I'm pretty much a novice at this stuff and could use the knowledge of others.

Why are you setting these manually? The Audyssey calibration will set these numbers for you.
post #1185 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloudm View Post

Why are you setting these manually? The Audyssey calibration will set these numbers for you.

And in some cases it will set them very wrong. In my case it set them all over the place, it didn't make any sense what it chose to do, but it was a good exercise to see what it comes up with.
post #1186 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaneverett View Post

Have you tried switching the HDMI input your TiVo is plugged into on the 3808?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that when I get home tonight. If it works, that would be great, but does it mean that the HDMI input I'm using now is defective? If so, I can still exchange the receiver within 30 days.
post #1187 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Hello,

I understand what LFE means and what it does. In the advance crossover menu, what does LFE at there ? You mention that you have it at 120Hz. What does it means ?? i don't really understand.

But Isn’t LFE = Subwoofer ??

LFE = 60Hz

correct me if i am wrong. if LFE is 60, anything below 60 sent to subwoofer and above 60 will be sent to all speakers. right ??

Does LFE must be = to the highest feq u set ?? (in my case 100) or set to the higest feq that my sub can take (in my case 200hz) ??

Someone please advise me

Thanks

You are correct about the speakers. I think the LFE setting applies only to content that has an explicit LFE track (such as Dolby 5.1). Not sure why you would limit it, I guess for cases where the sub can't handle higher frequencies, but from what I read there's very little or maybe no content at all that has anything above 80Hz in the LFE track. But this setting won't send it to the speakers instead, it will just discard what's above the setting.

My sub can do 150Hz according to the spec, I chose 120Hz as the spec is probably overrated and there may be some distortion close to the limit anyway, but again I don't think there's info above 80Hz on the LFE track anyway, setting it to 80 (which I think is what Audyssey did) may work just fine.

I think you'd want at least 80Hz for the LFE setting in your case, 60Hz doesn't seem right, but I'm no expert.
post #1188 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDracula View Post

You are correct about the speakers. I think the LFE setting applies only to content that has an explicit LFE track (such as Dolby 5.1). Not sure why you would limit it, I guess for cases where the sub can't handle higher frequencies, but from what I read there's very little or maybe no content at all that has anything above 80Hz in the LFE track. But this setting won't send it to the speakers instead, it will just discard what's above the setting.

My sub can do 150Hz according to the spec, I chose 120Hz as the spec is probably overrated and there may be some distortion close to the limit anyway, but again I don't think there's info above 80Hz on the LFE track anyway, setting it to 80 (which I think is what Audyssey did) may work just fine.

I think you'd want at least 80Hz for the LFE setting in your case, 60Hz doesn't seem right, but I'm no expert.

I've been studying eq and crossovers quite a bit, but can't be labeled as expert either. But I have learned some lessons worth repeating. First, read up on what the frequencies we are talking about SOUND like:

http://www.recordingeq.com/Subscribe/tip/tascam.htm
http://www.digitalprosound.com/2002/...g_excerpt1.htm

After all, it is up to your ears to tune the system to what it needs.

I used to just set the crossovers to match the range of the sub and speakers, but recently tried a lower sub crossover (60) and found great clarity and definition in bass. The 70-100 range of frequencies contain a lot of bottom end, but if they are emphasized too much, can add too much boom to the mix. That makes you turn your sub down, which them removes a bit too much bass, and then can make your mains too harsh. I found if I lowered the sub content, I could then have nice volume and presence with the low end, but could also hear the 80-120 stuff my nice mains were outputting. The mains also represent a stereo field with these frequencies, as opposed to the sub which is centered.

So listen to your system, define the bass characteristic, and state what sound you are after - is it earth shattering boom, or detailed bass, or something inbetween? Follow the definitions of the frequencies from the two eq links above, and experiment. A unit like the Denon is filled with sound tailoring options, but if you don't understand the language of frequencies and crossovers, it will be very elusive. Besides it's more fun to tweak with purpose and confidence, instead of hoping that a certain setting that someone else uses will make your system sound good. Hope this helps...
post #1189 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum View Post

This concerns me. Multiple people have reported a "thinning" of bass when moving to the 3808. Is this a configuration issue? Or something worse?

TheMoose: Are you getting adequate amounts of bass when listening to other sources (ex. DVD)?

Well with DVD, Blu-Ray & D* I'm getting OK bass but only with the Sub gain cranked all the way up.
That same setting on my Sony ES would rattle the glasses in the cabinet!
I like a bunch of bass in my movie explosions & I'm not getting that & CD has less than adequate & it's almost non existent in the radio tuner..

post #1190 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickster View Post

I've had my 3808 for a week now and love it. However I am having one problem that I can't figure out.

I have a stereo rca cable run from the 3808 in the theater to my distributed audio amp in the living room. I want to be able to play the NET/USB all over the house using the Zone 2 or 3 preamp outs. I am using the Zone 2 amp in the 3808 to power my rear surrounds, but I should still be able to use the Zone 2 preouts, right? Even if not, I would think that I could use the Zone 3 preouts. However, when I set both the Zone 2 & 3 source to NET/USB (or any connected source for that matter), I get no sound at all in the living room. I can connect the cable directly to the satellite audio out in the theater, and I can hear it fine in the living room. So I can only figure that I have something set up wrong with the 3808.

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

Mick

Nevermind......I figured it out.

Mick
post #1191 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Well with DVD, Blu-Ray & D* I'm getting OK bass but only with the Sub gain cranked all the way up.
That same setting on my Sony ES would rattle the glasses in the cabinet!
I like a bunch of bass in my movie explosions & I'm not getting that & CD has less than adequate & it's almost non existent in the radio tuner..

Is this from an Audysee configured setup? If so, have you tried clearing the settings and listening to see if that is the problem? A few people have reported that the automated process seems to limit the bass.
post #1192 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 AM

hmmm..

I have AWESOME bass on my system..i'm running a pair of def tech super tower 7000 series..both have built in 12inch subwoofers...I actually had to turn the settings down a bit last night because the neighbors were complaining about their bed moving..LOL
but anyway, I think the BASS on this AVR is great...

i'm just runing pure Direct from the AVR to the speakers since I think this gives teh best sound quality....anyone else using pure direct...I dont have surround speakers.

I have my settings set on small front L and front R, LFE+main and crossover at 80hz
post #1193 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum View Post

Is this from an Audysee configured setup? If so, have you tried clearing the settings and listening to see if that is the problem? A few people have reported that the automated process seems to limit the bass.

Yes Audyssey set up, I called Denon & got the problem solved.

For some reason the Audyssey setup turned down my sub to -7db so they had me go into the channel settings & adjust it to 0db & it cranks out the bass now.

post #1194 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Hello,

But Isn't LFE = Subwoofer ??

Thanks

This is not right. When you have your Fronts set to 60Hz, that means that everything [b]above[b] 60Hz goes the Fronts. Same with Center and Surround. The sub has it's own lowpass crossover that effects the sub only. The Front, Center and Surround have a highpass crossover that woun't effect the sub.

This is my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong.
post #1195 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Yes Audyssey set up, I called Denon & got the problem solved.

For some reason the Audyssey setup turned down my sub to -7db so they had me go into the channel settings & adjust it to 0db & it cranks out the bass now.

Funny, my Audyssey had my sub at -12db! I put it at -8db and it's still too low. I'll keep tweaking it.

I also noticed that Audyssey had the sub distance completely wrong (something like 12 feet when it's about 3 feet away from the center seating position). Distances were on the money for the other 5 speakers.

Did you check your distance setting? That probably influences the -7db.

I think this is a bug - just doesn't make sense.
post #1196 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 AM

I just got my 3808 yesterday. When I look down into the receiver through the slits on top, I see a clump of wires that either touch or come very close to touching the metal top of the receiver. Is this likely to cause a problem (e.g., with heat or otherwise)? I can exchange the receiver for another one within 30 days.

Thank you.
post #1197 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger099 View Post

Funny, my Audyssey had my sub at -12db! I put it at -8db and it's still too low. I'll keep tweaking it.

I also noticed that Audyssey had the sub distance completely wrong (something like 12 feet when it's about 3 feet away from the center seating position). Distances were on the money for the other 5 speakers.

Did you check your distance setting? That probably influences the -7db.

I think this is a bug - just doesn't make sense.

Yea it got the distance on my sub wrong too.
The default level on the sub is 0db so you have a lot more you can still get out of your sub.

post #1198 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I saw owner's manual recommend SW to be set @15db level, before calibrating?
post #1199 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 12:19 PM

I am just gonna throw this out there and hopefully stop my procrastinating.
The 3808 is my top choice for a new receiver but I am a little worried with some of the 'problems' that have been reported. To owners and professionals:
If you had a my setup would you buy this receiver or go in another direction?

PS3, Motorola PVR, Panasonic AE900
Blu-Ray/DVDs 40%, Games 20%, TV 20%, Music 20%
(more info in my signature)

Thanks in advance.

Stephen
My Setup
post #1200 of 20258 Old 09-12-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

I saw owner's manual recommend SW to be set @15db level, before calibrating?

The CS guy at Denon said 0db was default & that's where I set mine & it cranks the bass now.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page