post #13231 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post

Don't feel bad. I can't get Rhapsody to work. I can't find another poster that successfully streams Rhapsody either. Neither Sirius/XM or Rhapsody were the main reason most users wanted the upgrade. I wanted it primarily for streaming from a music service I could customize. I don't use the HDMI feature but do use the DEQ and DV on my Directv feed. So overall I'd say the upgrade package was a push. If they get the server disconnect issues fixed with Rhapsody I'd be much happier.

P.S. and of course I'd be happy if Surius got to workin for you. We got to hang in there bro. I have Sirius in myy truck and love it for that application. If they ever come up with a way to stream Rhapsody on the fly I'd switch in a second. If the problems I'm having just getting the Denon to stay connected are any indication it's a long way off. Someday though I'm sure. That will be the best.

Rotohead,
I can't get my Rhapsody to fail in between songs. I'll keep trying. But in the mean time, can you tell me if you're logging into Rhapsody via your browser (connecting to the Denon via your browser) or are you logging into Rhapsody via Denon's on screen menu?

Thanks,
Hansang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13232 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post

I've backed up my configuration file through the web interface, and saved it as config.dat. It is a 512 kb file, and now I am wondering if this file can be verified or checked in some manner. Since you all have backed up your 3808CI configuration file, or should plan to ASAP, in the event that you would like to reload all of your settings, this is a vital file.

Dat files appear to be programmer storage files that can hold just about any kind of information, and an internet search does not reveal any one program that could be utilized to verify or open this file. Other than using the web interface restore function to test this file, and possibly introduce a corrupt replacement onto my 3808CI, I would like to know in advance if I have a reliable configuration backup.

Has anyone found a means of config.dat verification?

I'm not sure you can verify it externally. But perhaps you can save the same setup twice and check the md5 checksum on it.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #13233 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Hey guys, got a 3808 enroute and I have a few Zone 2/3 ?'s

1. Will the 3808 pre/output digitally inputted signals (optical or toslink)? I know it won't pump HDMI audio out, but I'm hoping I can get either of the two above. I have a zone 3 (deck) and want to output my digitally inputted apple tv or dtv box to it (via an external amp of course). Im thinking it WILL NOT output a digital source via pre-amp zone 3. I know 2 channel digital inouts CAN be out out the zone two

2. Can anyone speak to SIMULTANEOUS zone 1/2/3 output of the same source? My old Onkyo had an unavoidable delay between zones due to undefeatable processing that went on in the main zone (yes, undefeatable) which of course caused an "echo" effect between the zones when identical source material was selected. Does the 3808 suffer from a similar vex?

thanks

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #13234 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by majikmann View Post

Read the manual TWICE and still can't figure out how to switch from one device to another. Mainly the optical... how do tell the amp to let sound come from that input?

If I'm understating your question right, you have to press source select and go to assign, that will open up your options available according to the source selected, from there you can "tell" the amp that you want to use optical 1, 2 or 3...coaxial 1, 2, 3...Denon Link, etc, for that specific equipment and that's it. It is complicated but once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze, and remember, once you have everything set up, save that configuration in your PC so next time you have to start from scratch, you just upload the saved configuration from your PC.

By the way, if you hook up your receiver to your PC, you can assign inputs a lot easier using your computer.
post #13235 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, it appears that you can't set-up the 3808 to automatically switch from 7.1 to 5.1 when a powered zone 2 is switched on?

Do you really have to go in and set it up for a strict 5.1 and 2 channel playback when you want 5.1 and 2 channel and then go back in and switch it to 7.1 when you're not bothering with the 2nd zone?

Most I've seen just automatically defeat 7 channel playback in the main room when the second (powered) zone is activated.

I hope that's not the case, cause that's just plain dumb.

James

post #13236 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

1. Will the 3808 pre/output digitally inputted signals (optical or toslink)? I know it won't pump HDMI audio out, but I'm hoping I can get either of the two above. I have a zone 3 (deck) and want to output my digitally inputted apple tv or dtv box to it (via an external amp of course). Im thinking it WILL NOT output a digital source via pre-amp zone 3. I know 2 channel digital inouts CAN be out out the zone two

2. Can anyone speak to SIMULTANEOUS zone 1/2/3 output of the same source? My old Onkyo had an unavoidable delay between zones due to undefeatable processing that went on in the main zone (yes, undefeatable) which of course caused an "echo" effect between the zones when identical source material was selected. Does the 3808 suffer from a similar vex?

I run my Sonos via optical in in zones 1 & 2 simultaneously (which are beside each other) with no problems.
post #13237 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

cool. It'll be nice to have the multiple rooms in sync. The delay was audible and irritating with the Onkyo.

You haven't by chance tried to use zone 3 (pre-out of course) with a digital input?

thanks
James

post #13238 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You haven't by chance tried to use zone 3 (pre-out of course) with a digital input?

'Fraid not, I use other Sonos models (which include their own amps) in the rest of my rooms. Much more flexibility that way... :-)
post #13239 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

'Fraid not, I use other Sonos models (which include their own amps) in the rest of my rooms. Much more flexibility that way... :-)

Gotcha. Sadly, the more I'm poring over the manual, the more I'm taken aback by how poorly the zone integration seems to be implemented.

I'm not looking for Sonos-type execution, just some sensical application for the 3 zones.

I'm hoping it's just poorly explained, as the manual thus far seems like one the worst I've ever encountered.

James

post #13240 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotcha. Sadly, the more I'm pouring over the manual, the more I'm taken aback by how poorly the zone integration seems to be implemented.

I'm not looking for Sonos-type execution, just some sensical application for the 3 zones.

I'm hoping it's just poorly explained, as the manual thus far seems like one the worst I've ever encountered.

The manual is truly abysmal. I find the zone implementation slightly clumsy.

My advice, get a Harmony remote: their database is already setup to allow you to program separate activities for each zone. Biggest issue for me is that I need to search out the remote code for my Harmony 890 to turn off only zone 1. Right now it seems to be programmed with a "turn off all". Not sure if I can turn off zone 1 only, but you can do the other way around so it would seem logical...
post #13241 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Let me just lay this question out and see what kind of answer I get:

I want to use a 7.1 set-up and a powered 2 channel sys in the other room.

Now, what I WANT is to avoid having to manually switch back and forth from a 7.1 sys to a 5.1 + 2 everytime I'm in 7.1 and want to use the second room.

My old Onkyo (and Sony, and Marantz) would simply drop the main room to 5.1 and kick on the 2 channel.

Is this possible with the 3808? It appears NOT to me by the manual, but, like I said, it could poorly explained. I'm hoping so!

Sorry, I'll leave it alone after this!

James

post #13242 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The manual is truly abysmal. I find the zone implementation slightly clumsy.

My advice, get a Harmony remote: their database is already setup to allow you to program separate activities for each zone. Biggest issue for me is that I need to search out the remote code for my Harmony 890 to turn off only zone 1. Right now it seems to be programmed with a "turn off all". Not sure if I can turn off zone 1 only, but you can do the other way around so it would seem logical...

Ha, I already have a Harmony One.

And yes, you can go into a given activity and set it up to leave certain components ON.

And you're right, setting it up as another activity could very well solve the problem, but my fear is that it requires the intro of the GUI and all that nonsense rather than just a few internal clix like it was with my 805. I dont't even want to imagine the complexity of the operation that involves the following:

switching the configuration of the "rear" amplifier, selecting the proper source without altering the current in zone 1....blah blah blah

James

post #13243 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 02:52 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal05Steve View Post

I am the ignorant one I am still trying to figure out all the terminology on this stuff. I will try the reset of the processor like someone else and yourself suggested.

Well that did not work, so I called Denon and went through the hard reboot with them. They said it needs to be repaired, called Best Buy going over and swaping it for a new one.
post #13244 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post

Perhaps you could post the config.dat size. If it comes close to my config.dat of 512 kb I could rest easier.

Thanks!

This is pure speculation but, I would be surprised if the config.dat file doesn't already include a CRC or similar to allow the Denon to verify it before it's used. It is such a simple thing to do, they would have to be crazy not to..

I wouldn't be over concerned. But it would be nice if there was a utility to create configurations on your PC save it to a config.dat then apply it to the amp...

Cheers,
Mr Segfault.
post #13245 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 03:10 PM

My Config.dat file is 512kb
post #13246 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks

James

Quote:

Also, it appears that you can't set-up the 3808 to automatically switch from 7.1 to 5.1 when a powered zone 2 is switched on?

Do you really have to go in and set it up for a strict 5.1 and 2 channel playback when you want 5.1 and 2 channel and then go back in and switch it to 7.1 when you're not bothering with the 2nd zone?

Most I've seen just automatically defeat 7 channel playback in the main room when the second (powered) zone is activated.

I hope that's not the case, cause that's just plain dumb.

James

Only 2-channel PCM inputted digitally can be sent to Zone2/3. I have not noticed any delay when playing all zones from the same source but never really experimented much with that.

You can't flip back and forth between 7.1 and 5.1+2. How would you switch the rear speakers vs the zone 2 speakers out? If you reset the rear amps in amp assign, you will need to rerun the Audyssey setup. Obviously there would not be a problem if you use the zone 2/3 pre-amp outs to another poweramp.

The sleeper must awaken.
post #13247 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 04:48 PM

Hello all.

A new version of Command3808 has been released.

Command3808 is free software (including source code) that allows you to control your Denon 3808CI via the telnet protocol. Some users even report that it works with the 4308CI and other versions

The new version now contains a couple of small new features and a stack of bug fixes.

Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949351

Command3808 is free software (with source code) that lets you control your Denon 3808CI and 4308CI via the telnet protocol.
post #13248 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfKnee View Post

I'm finding the sound effects much louder than the dialog while watching TrueHD Transformers on BluRay. Even with LFE at -10, and Dynamic Volume at Midnight setting, I find myself having to tweak the volume control to hear the dialog and not have the action scenes be too loud.

One thing I found helped was to use the fader to reduce the Rear channel sound. But while trying to do so I accidentally tweaked the levels of one of the Front channels and can't remember the proper Audyssey setting.

Is there a way to lock the Audyssey-derived channel level settings and still be able to adjust the fader?

Or, is there a way to reset the channel level settings back to what Audyssey calculated?

Even with the fader fully toward the front, I still have trouble hearing the dialog over the sound effects. I use a phantom center channel (only Right and Left speakers) so I can't directly boost the center to increase dialog level. Are there any other workarounds for boosting the dialog level? It would be really cool if there was a setting to adjust the amount of phantom center that gets added to the right and left, but I haven't been able to find such a setting.

Auto Setup>Parameter Check > Restore This puts Audyssey back to the settings obtained on the last configuration.
post #13249 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Biggest issue for me is that I need to search out the remote code for my Harmony 890 to turn off only zone 1. Right now it seems to be programmed with a "turn off all". Not sure if I can turn off zone 1 only, but you can do the other way around so it would seem logical...

The Denon main remote can only turn off all, not zone1 individually. But the Denon secondary remote can turn off zone1 independantly. So it can be done. If the Harmony database doesn't include the code for it, can you just learn it from the Denon remote?
post #13250 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Now, what I WANT is to avoid having to manually switch back and forth from a 7.1 sys to a 5.1 + 2 everytime I'm in 7.1 and want to use the second room.

As described, no, you can't do this. Denon (rightly or wrongly) expects you to set it up as a 5.1 + zone 2 OR as a 7.1 system and to use it that way. They don't expect you to change it back and forth.
post #13251 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgersic View Post

The Denon main remote can only turn off all, not zone1 individually. But the Denon secondary remote can turn off zone1 independantly. So it can be done. If the Harmony database doesn't include the code for it, can you just learn it from the Denon remote?

Yeah, you can learn it. I expect it's in the database, just haven't had time to set up the turn off sequence with it...
post #13252 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 PM

Hi All,

Need your help.

I just upgraded my Denon 987 to a 3808CI from Magnolia HiFi. I am excited, but I am having problems with internet connectivity.

Network Setup - DHCP - ON

When I go to the Network Info screen I get the below:

Wired

IP Address ON
*MAC Address (Blank)
DHCP 005cd13XXXX (X's are substituted for real values and this is the MAC address on the back of the system)

I get no Net Radio connectivity and I can not upgrade my firmware since the system says there is no connection.

I have a LinkSys WRT54G2 router, but my internal addressing starts at 10.10.10.101 (This is what LinkSys support wanted me to do when I first set it up. Not the typical 192.168.x.x)

When I go to my LinkSys router to see who is connected, I see everything else I have connected, but no 3808CI.

I have my Pany 850U connected via wire, PS3, and Home computer via DNS without fail.

I have tried the DHCP - OFF, manually entering in the values, but it still doesn't work.

I am lost. I am fairly technical. Enough to program URC Pro remotes without a hitch and build my own home computers.

This seems like a Denon issue to me since the screen that shows the Internet Information looks like it has misplaced or missing information that is reporting.

Any ideas?
post #13253 of 20226 Old 02-19-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMax256 View Post

I get no Net Radio connectivity and I can not upgrade my firmware since the system says there is no connection.

Just to be sure, you plugged the cable in to the network port on the back of the 3808, right? Not in to the DenonLink port?

Is the cable you're using known to be good?

Are you seeing a link LED on the Linksys router port that you're connecting this to?
post #13254 of 20226 Old 02-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal05Steve View Post

Well that did not work, so I called Denon and went through the hard reboot with them. They said it needs to be repaired, called Best Buy going over and swaping it for a new one.

Sorry to hear that. I had a very similar problem with one from the time I took it out of the box.

The good news is you now know the issues and have a solution (painful though it is) and once you get this up and running it will all be very worthwhile.

blairy
post #13255 of 20226 Old 02-20-2009, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyOwner View Post

Only 2-channel PCM inputted digitally can be sent to Zone2/3. I have not noticed any delay when playing all zones from the same source but never really experimented much with that.

You can't flip back and forth between 7.1 and 5.1+2. How would you switch the rear speakers vs the zone 2 speakers out? If you reset the rear amps in amp assign, you will need to rerun the Audyssey setup. Obviously there would not be a problem if you use the zone 2/3 pre-amp outs to another poweramp.

Hi, I'm familiar with the PCM limitation, so that's ok.

As far as the "how would I do blank" comment:

"I" never did anything, my UNIT did.

I wired 7 speakers in my living room and 2 in another room (from 9 total speaker outs on the back of my Sony, Marantz, Onkyo). If I was using a 7.1 in the main area and turned on Zone 2, I would drop down to 5.1.

Now, if I was using Zone 2 AND Stereo or 5.1 in the living room, the unit would simply limit me from bumping up to ANY 7.1 soundfield/codec in the living area until i disabled/powered down Zone 2.

I think some are understanding this, sorry, as it may not be entirely intuitive if you haven't experienced a receiver that operates this way.

I'll just buy a 4 or 5 channel amp the problem will be solved.

Unfortunate though, as I was hoping to get away with a 2 channel!

James

post #13256 of 20226 Old 02-20-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

So the worst is I can't even hook up 7.1 and Zone 2 speakers on the unit then and go into the GUI and manually switch back and forth between full 7.1 and 5.1 and 2 because the rear JUST has 7 channel speaker outputs "all day" and thus you have to hard-wire the speakers themselves on the back in either a "permanent" 7.1 or 5.1 + 2 config?

dreadful.

I would not have purchased this receiver had I known this. Can't say I ever expected such a hurdle. It's unfortunate that I'll have to purchase additional amplification for this to work, but I guess now I'll NEVER lose 7.1 in my living room!

Oh well.

James

post #13257 of 20226 Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:

I think some are understanding this, sorry, as it may not be entirely intuitive if you haven't experienced a receiver that operates this way.

I understand what you're saying. That would be a nice feature. But the Denon doesn't work that way. The "surround back / amp. assign" speaker terminals are either 7.1 or Zone2, but you have to decide that ahead of time.

I guess you could use the GUI to change it, plus a speaker switch box to save on having to re-wire, but that'd be hokey at best.
post #13258 of 20226 Old 02-21-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:

So the worst is I can't even hook up 7.1 and Zone 2 speakers on the unit then and go into the GUI and manually switch back and forth between full 7.1 and 5.1 and 2 because the rear JUST has 7 channel speaker outputs "all day" and thus you have to hard-wire the speakers themselves on the back in either a "permanent" 7.1 or 5.1 + 2 config?

dreadful.

I would not have purchased this receiver had I known this. Can't say I ever expected such a hurdle. It's unfortunate that I'll have to purchase additional amplification for this to work, but I guess now I'll NEVER lose 7.1 in my living room!

Oh well.

James

As I myself did not (yet) wish to use the system your way, I didn't pay enough attention to the according chapters in the manual and believed there was no problem. After having read your question, I checked the manual again, and I commit, I find it a poor design, too.
But on the other hand, MAYBE there could be a firmware solution if Denon whishes to do so. If there IS an opportunitiy to assign the B sorrounds to Zone 2 instead of the surround back speakers by reprogramming the according DSP's by Denon, one might ask for that feature. It may though be impossible due to circuitry layout and hard-wiring or insufficient horse power of the DSP's to do 7.1 plus zone 2. Then no firmware change can solve that issue.
I used to think that surround B outputs can be re-assigned and that would have been the more clever solution. It may even be that Denon did this intentionally so we would spend more money on a 4308 instead.
So how about asking Denon to implement this feature via firmware upgrade.

Âand now to something completely different!
post #13259 of 20226 Old 02-21-2009, 09:51 AM

I had my unit in Denon for firmware corruption issues last month and while the unit was out I replaced it with a loaner 3808CI. I noticed the loaner was running significantly cooler than my own even if it was on all day and all night where as my own would be so hot within the first 30 minutes prompt me to open the cabinet door. By the way, the cabinet has opening under and behind the unit for heat to escape.

In any case, while the unit was at Denon to be re-flashed I asked them to check the heat issue as well. The unit came back yesterday and it's been in use all day and all through the night and it is as cool as cucumber. It's hard to figure out what they did for the heat issue but they have replaced the AM/FM Digital tuner as part of the repairs.

I know some had complained about this issue, I thought I share my experience with the forum members.
post #13260 of 20226 Old 02-21-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post

^ I don't even have a MAC address anymore! So the problem is waaay deeper than external cable and switch... Bear in mind I have been using this 3808 on a network for ~7 months before it died. I have not touched any of the network settings or external hardware for at least 6 months, the port died just sitting there as usual.

Nobody at Denon that I talked to has ever heard of this. Repair centre has no idea how long it could take to fix for that reason. That's the bummer...I lose the whole thing for who knows how long when everything except the Ethernet port is working perfectly. I was hoping there might be some super-secret service menu where you could re-enter the MAC address or something like that. I think the asterisks beside all the Ethernet parameters means the Ethernet "module" is dead and the "brain" can't communicate with it.

I have a similar problem. When I display network info the MAC address is blank. It is also not shown when I display the various firmware levels. I just sent this 3808 to the repair shop where they replaced the HDMI board under warranty. I can't take another 4 week wait for the repair shop. Were you able to resolve this issue?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page