The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 547 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesed View Post

Thanks Batpig for your reply. I had hoped to thank you sooner but I've been having trouble with Logitech in adding all of your commands to my account. I have been going back and forth with Logitech for about a week now. They insist they have transferred the commands but when I check, I don't see them (specifically looking for "5CH/7CH" and "DolbyPLIICinema"). I sent them a copy of the AVSForum post as well as your Excel file of the commands.

Have you heard of any similar experience? Any suggestions on how I can help them?

I had Logitech technical transfer Batpig's commands to my folks Logitech account. When I went looking for them I didn't see them. Turns out I needed to map the commands to either a device screen or activity screen the ones I wanted. http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...pping+commands

P.S. And thanks Batpig!

Like 80's rock? Add Pirate Radio KQLZ (updated 8/21/11): http://174.127.65.10:80 to your http://www.radiodenon.com

Firmware update? http://denon-firmware-tracking.wetpaint.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I was wondering what the general consensus was on calibrating displays. Should it be done via my tv or done via my 3808?. Thank you.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph3ng View Post

Hi all,

I was wondering what the general consensus was on calibrating displays. Should it be done via my tv or done via my 3808?. Thank you.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ation+receiver

Like 80's rock? Add Pirate Radio KQLZ (updated 8/21/11): http://174.127.65.10:80 to your http://www.radiodenon.com

Old 11-10-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesed View Post

Thanks Batpig for your reply. I had hoped to thank you sooner but I've been having trouble with Logitech in adding all of your commands to my account. I have been going back and forth with Logitech for about a week now. They insist they have transferred the commands but when I check, I don't see them (specifically looking for "5CH/7CH" and "DolbyPLIICinema"). I sent them a copy of the AVSForum post as well as your Excel file of the commands.

Have you heard of any similar experience? Any suggestions on how I can help them?

how are you sure they are not there? did you actually look in the software and use the pull-down menu to scroll through commands? or are you just looking at the LCD display of the remote itself?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

thanks for this!!. But it doesn't really say which is better (if such a thing really exists)

i will post there instead and read through it again.
Thanks again
Old 11-10-2009, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked: 1899
The key thing is that the primary calibration should be done at the display, and then the controls in the receiver should only be used to tweak a particular source (either because it deviates from the calibrated reference or because there is some preference issue, e.g. you like your video games to be brighter).

but the first step is to calibrate your display, using a known reference source (e.g. a Blu-Ray calibration DVD with test patterns) to calibrate the input you will be using. Then, any "good" HDMI sources should require no further tweaking, as they should be using the same standard.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HI all... first time poster long time long time in shadows ,Batpig thanks for sharing your remote commands... i too did see the new commands in the software for my One remote ,,but I update the remote then went too ,,,,,,Device...... settings.......Device optons...customize Buttons......Next......Additional Buttons.......Reset to defaults...They showed up,,...Hope that helps ...captavs......
Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 AM

I completely agree with Batpig's calibration advice but I highly recommend an initial ISF calibration.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph3ng View Post

thanks for this!!. But it doesn't really say which is better (if such a thing really exists)

i will post there instead and read through it again.
Thanks again

You would normally only use the display controls to calibrate it. Once in awhile with certain types of displays, you cannot get the display where you want/need it to be using the display controls alone, so then you may have to resort to using either your blu-ray controls or AVR controls for selected parameters. Typically, this is not necessary and you would just calibrate using the displays controls.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
how are you sure they are not there? did you actually look in the software and use the pull-down menu to scroll through commands? or are you just looking at the LCD display of the remote itself?
I did use the pull-down menu and they were not there. However, last night Logitech did add the "5CH/7CH" and "DolbyPLIICinema" commands but none of the other commands on your list. I since went through the list and sent in a request to transfer an additional 12 commands. Hopefully, they will be added tonight.

BTW, I copied all of the commands for the 3808CI on the pull-down list provided by Logitech and compared them to your list. I added commands on the pull-down that were not on your list just to have a complete record for any future use I may have. I'm attaching this file FYI just to see what Logitech has now provided for the 3808CI.

Thanks again for your continuing service to this forum (and my education)!

DenonCommandList.zip 22.947265625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip DenonCommandList.zip (22.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 PM

I need quick help. I am guessing there is something I am missing, but my xbox 360 music sounds terrible, compared to a direct feed from the same music server.

Is there something I am missing in terms of settings from the 360 for the 3808 compared to the direct connection?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4i2fly View Post

I am having the same issue with my AVR-3808 and I have read all the threads and posts pertaining to this issue on this forum and on the RN. I totally share your frustration...I have tried several on-demand music servers and so far these guys seem to be the best but their technology totally SUCKS. I signed up for the Rhapsody on the go and the service on the iPhone is as unreliable as it is on my receiver. I listen to pandora, last.fm all day long without a hitch but as soon as I try rhapsody on the iPhone I get interruption with the message Rhapsody could not connect to the server with try it again or cancel dialog box...although it takes several minutes before it craps out where as on the denon I have noticed some playlists take longer to crap out vs. others and that most definitely dependent on their file and music organizations. I have noticed when I have a playlist with rock band it craps out after two songs and then cuban-afro jazz platlist craps out 30 - 45 minutes into the playlist or fusion Jazz about the same time. So, this is definitely a problem with Rhapsody and seems not worth paying $15/month for a crappy music on-demand service, my two cents.
But thank you for highlighting this problem so I don't go crazy trying to figure a solution.
Cheers,

I have been having this server disconnect issue on my 4308 for quite some time. Anybody ever figure out a solution for it?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P.
I encountered a popping sound after I came out of the setup menu for "Master and Commander". I went into the menu to select the DTS-MA audio and as soon as I did that (or immediately afterwards) I got very noticeable popping sounds. It was not the "bomb" sound descibed elsewhere here that happens during the movie. Rather, it was a lot of quick popping, like walking on a piece of very loud bubble wrap. It was not dangerously loud (no where near as load as the cannon fire in the movie itself), but loud enough to be disturbing never-the-less. It only lasted maybe 2 or 3 seconds.

I re-loaded the disc from scratch (open drawer) and just pressed "play" without going into the setup menu audio options, and it did not occur. I also noticed that the vaious stuff (FBI page, studio logos) before the movie starts is DD, then, when the movie starts, it switches into DTS-MA. Perhaps manually selecting MA on the audio setup menu at some slice of time before or right around when it gets engaged on its own caused a glitch in the bitstream(?) I don't know. I'm not entirely sure I want to experiment and try to duplicate it.

I go into audio setup mostly out of habit. DTS is an option on those DVDs that carry it, with DD being the default, so I'm in the habit of going to the menu to select DTS for DVD. It's not necessary with BD since discs with MA will use that as a default (at least the Fox titles). So, I probably don't need to go in there and will likely never encounter this again (I hope).

I'm bitstreaming from a Denon 3800 to a Denon 3808. My firmware is one release short of the very latest for each of these components. I've watched many MA titles with no issue, and selected the MA track manually many times before. I don't think there is anything wrong with this title in particular. It plays great all the way through (a reference MA demo disc for sure). End QUOTE
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I noticed the same thing with my Denon 3808 last week with Master and Commander. Has anybody else had this with a Denon product? I believe I have the most recent updates on the 3808.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplinterPDC View Post

I have been having this server disconnect issue on my 4308 for quite some time. Anybody ever figure out a solution for it?

Sad to report that nothing has improved with 'server disconnect' errors using Rhapsody on my 3808. I've noticed some playlists or albums will go longer before disconnect but the frequency is still unacceptable. Channels are out of the question. Must have something to do with albums being one song after another and channels being mostly random selections. I don't know. I've exhausted all efforts with RN and I'm still waiting confirmation the 3808 is a authorized device to work with Rhap. They can't even confirm that!! I started this attempt to fix a year ago. I got about four months of free credits from RN staff and never heard from them other than 'we're working on it'. All the firmware updates that refer to Rhapsody networking fixes have not changed one thing on my box. The best I could state is the last six to eight months albums and playlists have played slightly better. I attribue this to loss of subscribers and less load on the servers. It's been talked about on trade websites that RN is loosing subs quickly. That's what I know from my end. Wish it were different.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 AM

I am having issues getting my AVR3808 to access music files over my network.

I had it working brielfy a while ago when I first tested it however now I am not sure what is going on. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS on my network which the AVR3808 seems to recognise. Previously when I had tested it out I had accidentally set a couple of favourites which I am currently able to play. However I cannot now play or select anything else.

When I select Net/USB on the remote, The screen (TV screen ) displays the following options:

Recently Played
Favorites
Internet Radio
READYNAS (This is my NAS device)
MEDIAPC (This is my computer)

Pressing up and down arrose on the remote does nothing. So I am unable to select the MEDIA NAS device.

If I press the Channel /- buttons then the favorites that I had managed to set ages ago start playing (which means that the AVR3808CI can obviously see my NAS device ok)

EDIT: Before submitting this post I played around with it somemore (for about 15 -20 minutes pressing the Net/USB button several times, trying to select something and turning the unit on and off a couple of times before playing around with the NET/USB button a few more times and I have somehow managed to fluke getting it to play something. HOwever during all this the TV monitor does not refelect the current menu that is being showing on the AVR3808 display. For example, it is right now playing a song and both AVR3808 display and the TV Monitor are showing the song name that is playing. If I press the Left arrow on the remote the AVR3808 display shows the album name and allows me to select a different album however the TV monitor still sits at the song being played display.

This happens using either of the 2 remotes that came with the unit so the problem does not appear to be related to the remote control.

I am also pretty sure that if I turn the AVR3808 off for a bit and then back on I will be back to where I was at the start of this post not being able to play anything from my NAS device.

AARRGGHHH!!

Any ideas from anyone?
Old 11-13-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munciefan View Post

I need quick help. I am guessing there is something I am missing, but my xbox 360 music sounds terrible, compared to a direct feed from the same music server.

Is there something I am missing in terms of settings from the 360 for the 3808 compared to the direct connection?

Is the music stored on the XBox360 or on some other device and you are just accessing it through the XBox 360. Probably doesnt make a difference. I have My XBox 360 accessing music from a NAS device and then playing it through the AVR3808 via a HDMI cable and it all sounds ok - although I am yet to do a direct comparison between the PS3, XBox 360 and AVR3808 accessing the same NAS source directly. (as per my above post - I am still trying to make this work!!)
Old 11-13-2009, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
hi folks, i just recently picked up a used 3808... i have read the manual to the fullest, but i simply cant figure out how to listen to music using a usb flashdrive... i have the music loaded and i choose the source and the usb assigned is the front one. i see the receiver playing the file on its display, but there is no music coming out of the speakers? i tried using my bluray and yes the speakers are connected so i have checked just about everything... any thoughts?
Old 11-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post

Sad to report that nothing has improved with 'server disconnect' errors using Rhapsody on my 3808. I've noticed some playlists or albums will go longer before disconnect but the frequency is still unacceptable. Channels are out of the question. Must have something to do with albums being one song after another and channels being mostly random selections. I don't know. I've exhausted all efforts with RN and I'm still waiting confirmation the 3808 is a authorized device to work with Rhap. They can't even confirm that!! I started this attempt to fix a year ago. I got about four months of free credits from RN staff and never heard from them other than 'we're working on it'. All the firmware updates that refer to Rhapsody networking fixes have not changed one thing on my box. The best I could state is the last six to eight months albums and playlists have played slightly better. I attribue this to loss of subscribers and less load on the servers. It's been talked about on trade websites that RN is loosing subs quickly. That's what I know from my end. Wish it were different.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
A couple of days ago I had to rearrange my components in our cabinet. During this process unfortunately, one of the contact foils in the HDMI out connector lifted and folded up at the back end of the connector.

I pulled the case cover to see if perhaps the HDMI connectors are modular and guess what, they're not.

Checking around it looks like replacing this board would be a $400-$500 gig at a repair shop, new parts prices run from around $390 to $600 (list probably).

I did find a parts shop in CA that's listing used boards for $150 which just might be reasonable if they'd work.

My question for you guys is: Does anyone have any idea if changing this board would screw up registration information at Denon (ie. stuff related to registration, purchase history for things like feature upgrade, etc.)? Since this board carries the ethernet connection, it's not clear if it also carries things like the serial number, etc. If anyone has a clue about this, I'd appreciate what you know.

Obviously, be reeaaallll careful plugging your HDMI cables back in. Sigh. In the interim I've got cables on order to bypass the HDMI stage until I can decide on whether or not to try to repair this. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post

A couple of days ago I had to rearrange my components in our cabinet. During this process unfortunately, one of the contact foils in the HDMI out connector lifted and folded up at the back end of the connector.

I pulled the case cover to see if perhaps the HDMI connectors are modular and guess what, they're not.

Checking around it looks like replacing this board would be a $400-$500 gig at a repair shop, new parts prices run from around $390 to $600 (list probably).

I did find a parts shop in CA that's listing used boards for $150 which just might be reasonable if they'd work.

My question for you guys is: Does anyone have any idea if changing this board would screw up registration information at Denon (ie. stuff related to registration, purchase history for things like feature upgrade, etc.)? Since this board carries the ethernet connection, it's not clear if it also carries things like the serial number, etc. If anyone has a clue about this, I'd appreciate what you know.

Obviously, be reeaaallll careful plugging your HDMI cables back in. Sigh. In the interim I've got cables on order to bypass the HDMI stage until I can decide on whether or not to try to repair this. Thanks.

Yikes

Registration the unit via Denon owner club http://usa.denon.com/Ownersclub.asp is not tied to firmware updates. In other words it doesn't matter if you register with the Denon's owners club or not, you will still receive firmware updates.

I don't know if the firmware chip is on 'this board'. I used to have a service manual but can't find it at the moment.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by captavs View Post

Yikes

Captavs, thanks for the response. I guess what I'm concerned about is where the authentication information (SN, anything that correlates with the feature pack purchase id number, etc.) is stored and if on this board whether there's a way to reset it with Denon. I know that the AV authenticates with Denon's FW server during that process and I assume that it has to use the SN for that at least.

If it turns out that you can locate your service manual, I'd be highly interested in what it has to say about this board replacement.

Thanks again
Old 11-15-2009, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Personally I would not "dick around" with this unit. Just take it to a Denon repair center, tell them that you simply unplugged the HDMI cable, and when you replaced it, it was not functioning normally...........see what they say. Can't hurt. But I would not try a "home fix" on this great piece of gear. Never know where you will be down the road.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve
Old 11-15-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 66
^ Yes, when you replace your "HDMI board" you will have a new MAC address. And registration etc. is tied to this. Besides that the firmware is stored on that board. I do not know what this means if you have "paid for" FW on your broken board, but it's not on your new board...I can see Denon being a bit finicky about this. No doubt they'd make things right if *they* repaired the 3808.

FWIW, when Denon replaces the HDMI board, they put a new MAC sticker on the back of the panel. And also on the (if original) shipping box, very thorough.

Edit: If it was my (out of warranty) 3808 that had a broken HDMI connector, I'd buy a new connector from digi-key and try to replace it myself. But that's me. Can't make it any worse than having to replace the board at my cost...

What broke on my "HDMI board" was the Ethernet/USB. So you never know what you'll get if getting a used board (not from Denon).
Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post

Captavs, thanks for the response. I guess what I'm concerned about is where the authentication information (SN, anything that correlates with the feature pack purchase id number, etc.) is stored and if on this board whether there's a way to reset it with Denon. I know that the AV authenticates with Denon's FW server during that process and I assume that it has to use the SN for that at least.

If it turns out that you can locate your service manual, I'd be highly interested in what it has to say about this board replacement.

Thanks again

If the firmware chip is on 'this board' cfraser (I gather cfraser knows from experience having the board replaced) has said then you might need to purchase the FPU upgrade again.

After it's all said and done your probably better off as iramack said to just have Denon do the repair under warranty due to a faulting connector If out of warranty then maybe pursue a third party board replacement and see about working out with Denon to switch the FPU registration. Again, the standard firmware update without FPU does not require registration of any kind.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Yes, I just meant that the unique identification of each 3808 (as far as Denon is concerned from over the net) is stored on the same board as the HDMI chips/connectors. So you can expect replacing this board has some "intricacies".
Old 11-15-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post

^ Yes, I just meant that the unique identification of each 3808 is stored on the same board as the HDMI chips/connectors. So you can expect replacing this board has some "intricacies".

Who knows davelr could get a board replacement from a third party that already has the FPU In that case based on your findings the firmware being on 'this board' I would expect FPU/firmware updates to work. However the FPU registration should still be straightened out with Denon.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

^ I was hoping they'd do that "by accident" when they replaced my board. No such luck, way too thorough LOL. My purchase was before they included the Audyssey dynamic stuff.

But I did ask nicely later...
Old 11-15-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ i was hoping they'd do that "by accident" when they replaced my board. No such luck, way too thorough lol. My purchase was before they included the audyssey dynamic stuff.

But i did ask nicely later...

Old 11-15-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ Yes, I just meant that the unique identification of each 3808 (as far as Denon is concerned from over the net) is stored on the same board as the HDMI chips/connectors. So you can expect replacing this board has some "intricacies".

Speaking of those 'intricacies' http://www.radiodenon.com does require registration using the MAC address of the AVR. If this MAC address already registered this could be issue if radiodenon Internet radio desired.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Good point. I did have to re-register/re-do my radiodenon stuff. I don't think we can de-register a MAC, so you "are" whoever the MAC says you are, so if the MAC on your used/replacement board says you're somebody else... What about for Rhapsody (I don't use it)? Or anything else you (or the previous owner) may have signed up for that identifies a unique device over the net? I didn't run into this as I got the new replacement from Denon and hadn't signed up for anything except (free) radiodenon.

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver