The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 616 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #18451 of 20431 Old 03-09-2011, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Let's pile on! Are we done with the 3808's network stuff? Then how about their AM/FM radio? I don't recall ever hearing a worse-sounding and worse-performing tuner, no matter how little it cost. Worst.tuner.ever. It is so bad that I can't add the 3808 to my collection of 'backup' AVRs when I'm done with it in the main HT system (I listen to local AM/FM radio a lot, have some old favorite personalities and programs). I had the 4310 for a few months and its tuner was just as bad (that was a dud 'upgrade' IMO/E, why it's gone, the 4311 is way better as an upgrade).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18452 of 20431 Old 03-09-2011, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying to connect my Playstation 3 (PS3) to my 3808 using an optical cable but am running into a weird problem. If I have the receiver on and power on the PS3 then I hear sound and the receiver front panel shows "Dolby Digital". However, once the PS3 boots the front panel switches to "Stereo" and I can't hear any sound. Once I startup a game it switches back to "Dolby Digital" and I can hear sound again. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I never upgraded my denon firmware, it's still at 1.03.

Also, I don't see anywhere in the denon manual that shows what formats it supports on each input (DTS, DD, etc.). Is there anywhere this is listed?
post #18453 of 20431 Old 03-09-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post

Let's pile on! Are we done with the 3808's network stuff? Then how about their AM/FM radio? I don't recall ever hearing a worse-sounding and worse-performing tuner, no matter how little it cost. Worst.tuner.ever. It is so bad that I can't add the 3808 to my collection of 'backup' AVRs when I'm done with it in the main HT system (I listen to local AM/FM radio a lot, have some old favorite personalities and programs). I had the 4310 for a few months and its tuner was just as bad (that was a dud 'upgrade' IMO/E, why it's gone, the 4311 is way better as an upgrade).

I think it's funny you hate the 3808 so much you buy another Denon.

Touch every third person and you'll find stupid!

post #18454 of 20431 Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccirilli View Post

Sorry Cybrsage, I hope my software issue doesn't lead to greater hardware problems. I'll either stick with the issue, or buy a stream player as suggested above. That would be cheaper than sending it in for service. Anyone else not happy about the inability to reload (buggy) firmware, please call Denon (800-497-8921) and make a complaint about it. As I said earlier, if enough complaints are made, a Denon tech claims they may provide us with a their solution.

Thanks to all who made the suggestions above, keeping me honest. Unfortunately no dice.

What are you looking to stream?
I use the airport express, and stream itunes from my PC upstairs to the Denon downstairs. I can use my ipad, ipod, iphone to control itunes remotely with the "Remote" app.
I also use the "DenOnOff" app so I can control Main, Zone2, and Zone3.
post #18455 of 20431 Old 03-09-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokhead View Post

I think it's funny you hate the 3808 so much you buy another Denon.

Hey! I didn't say that. Just the opposite. I actually *liked* the Denon so much I bought another. And the 4311 was planned even, had been for many months since it was announced. But I'm holding out for the '4312' since the only thing I really want from the 4311 (over the 3808) is the XT32 (why I didn't seriously consider the 7005, another Marantz pre-pro mis-step IMO, after the 8003). The 4310 was a 'mistake' I quickly rectified (absolutely nothing wrong with it, just the new feature I got it for didn't work out how I had expected).

It's only the AM/FM tuner I hate. I use it probably 12 hours a day I hate it so much lol (...and such small portions too...)
post #18456 of 20431 Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 AM

I've gotten around my problems with over-the-air reception by using Internet Radio, either directly on the Denon or through iTunes Airplay and an Apple TV connected to the Denon.

Alan Forkosh
Oakland, CA USA
post #18457 of 20431 Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM

Liked: 11
I had previously used my Denon to stream internet radio stations directly via the built in software. The built-in internet radio is a really a nice feature, particularly with auto preset stations programmed on a Harmony One remote. Push just one button and it played any one of my favorite internet radio stations. Hard to beat that functionality. I never used the AM/FM tuner due to better bandwidth of the internet version of local radio stations. Most radio stations broadcast on their website. It is simple to add via the Denon Radio website. However, I no longer can do this because my 3808 ethernet software is hosed up.
All other media streams like my music videos, Netflix, Blue Ray videos MKV's, I use a HT PC via HDMI and use the 3808 to decode bitstream audio, with video passthrough.
post #18458 of 20431 Old 03-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
No offense, but could you guys elaborate on what problems you've experienced with the tuner?

I admit that I don't listen to any AM and only 3 or 4 FM stations, but I do use the tuner a lot. I get signal from a folded dipole in my attic with a coax downlink and it has been pretty solid at least in my experience.
post #18459 of 20431 Old 03-10-2011, 09:00 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

What are you looking to stream?
I use the airport express, and stream itunes from my PC upstairs to the Denon downstairs. I can use my ipad, ipod, iphone to control itunes remotely with the "Remote" app.
I also use the "DenOnOff" app so I can control Main, Zone2, and Zone3.

I have the airport extreme so it can't stream music like the express does. I've given up trying to stream from my Win7 laptop to the 3808. The best I can do is have the 3808 find music on my laptop and play it that way. The 3808 is ethernet cabled to the apple extreme, and the laptop is wireless.

post #18460 of 20431 Old 03-10-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aforkosh View Post

I've gotten around my problems with over-the-air reception by using Internet Radio, either directly on the Denon or through iTunes Airplay and an Apple TV connected to the Denon.

Also use iTunes Airplay /airport express connected to Denon, and controled through the remote app, and I think now directly from ipad to the express - have to verify, just installed the 4.3 IOS.

Now if I could stream Pandora from PC, or iPad to the Airport Express, I'd be set.
post #18461 of 20431 Old 03-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccirilli View Post
I had previously used my Denon to stream internet radio stations directly via the built in software. The built-in internet radio is a really a nice feature, particularly with auto preset stations programmed on a Harmony One remote. Push just one button and it played any one of my favorite internet radio stations. Hard to beat that functionality. I never used the AM/FM tuner due to better bandwidth of the internet version of local radio stations. Most radio stations broadcast on their website. It is simple to add via the Denon Radio website. However, I no longer can do this because my 3808 ethernet software is hosed up.
All other media streams like my music videos, Netflix, Blue Ray videos MKV's, I use a HT PC via HDMI and use the 3808 to decode bitstream audio, with video passthrough.
As your internet radio on the 3808 is not functioning have you tried setting up internet radio from your HTPC. I've never done this but understand it is possible.
post #18462 of 20431 Old 03-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokhead View Post

Well what was the first year Denon starting networking? Not a 3806.

I'm pretty sure the 4806 had networking.
post #18463 of 20431 Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 41
"Well what was the first year Denon starting networking?"

It is also true that in terms of the technology networked receivers were not any where near first gen when the 3808 came out. The idea that as an end user I must some how accept less than because a product such as the 3808 is "first gen" is ridiculous.

So you buy a set of tires from Good Year and they are a "new" model of tire, first gen tire. You ok with them blowing off your rims and rolling your car because they are "first gen"?

Of course not.

Nothing new or first gen about network interfaces and network software coding by the time the 3808 came out and as an issue even if it was it does not dismiss Denon's mishandling of the code to work the network component.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #18464 of 20431 Old 03-11-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post

No offense, but could you guys elaborate on what problems you've experienced with the tuner?

To elaborate, its problem is 'everything'. I wouldn't know where to start. It is a throw-in feature that, in my travels around the forums, it seems I'm one of the only ones who cares about it. I have so many better tuners that it's not a problem, but it would be nice if the Denon tuner at least matched that in some of the cheapest brand AVRs. I just don't understand how they can make it work and sound so bad. But I think they know what they're doing market-wise, very few buyers of the 3808 and higher-newer models seem to care and I rarely mention that I even use the AM/FM tuner except as a kind of joke. But I really do use it. Most AM radio stations around here (local sports/entertainment progs/hosts I really like) stream at around 32kbps I think and it's unlistenable. Even 64kbps sounds much harsher than a half-assed AM tuner.

So davelr, I think you are the only other person I've encountered who admits to using the 3808 (or 4310 or 4311) AM/FM tuner. It's so uncool you should be ashamed, I don't mind myself, plenty of other things to be more ashamed about...
post #18465 of 20431 Old 03-12-2011, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Gee, I guess I'll have to go practice my hangdog expression in a mirror...
post #18466 of 20431 Old 03-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I use the FM tuner in the morning (its on now in z2 and z3) and evening for the news. I don't have any problems at all. Granted there isn't much music so I can't speak about that but voice sounds like any FM I have ever heard.
post #18467 of 20431 Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

^ I guess I am spoiled by the FM tuners I have. They used to be a much more important/integral feature of an AVR (my oldest AVR, still on basement workbench duty, goes back to the early 90s) before digital sources ruled, and not just a throw-in feature. But I am lazy now, and the best of my stand-alone tuners do not have remote control ability, or even presets. My location allows me to get an FM station on just about every possible frequency, from either the U.S. or Canada, good variety.

I will admit another area of shame so davelr doesn't feel so bad . I got my first proper HT sub a couple days ago, it's not even hooked up yet. After about eight different AVRs in my HT system, numerous center speaker changes, and several amplifier and display changes. But I kept using the same (very good and 'pretty' I might add) MUSIC sub. From before the days of decent LFE on discs, in fact DVDs were just getting started.

Anyway, as I have inferred in previous posts, it's going to take a LOT to make me move the 3808 out of the rack. I have had 'better' AVRs (and one pre-pro) in there, but nothing has made me seriously want to turf it. We tested the 4311 in there, the obvious current 3808 successor, and while the XT32 is very desirable, I need a little 'more' to make a move from the trusty/reliable 3808 (the devil you know...). It is still a desirable and competent AVR, famous even, the 'standard'. In Canada, you can get more $$ from a used 3808 now than probably most Americans even paid for theirs new...
post #18468 of 20431 Old 03-15-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbound View Post

I have the airport extreme so it can't stream music like the express does. I've given up trying to stream from my Win7 laptop to the 3808. The best I can do is have the 3808 find music on my laptop and play it that way. The 3808 is ethernet cabled to the apple extreme, and the laptop is wireless.

You can install Foobar2000 on your Win7 laptop, and the Foobar UPnP Media Server add-on, set up playlists on your laptop, then playback your music through the Denon.

TVersity also works, but I prefer Foobar for the playlist functionality.
post #18469 of 20431 Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurn View Post

You can install Foobar2000 on your Win7 laptop, and the Foobar UPnP Media Server add-on, set up playlists on your laptop, then playback your music through the Denon.

TVersity also works, but I prefer Foobar for the playlist functionality.

Is there anything similar to Foobar for Mac?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.
post #18470 of 20431 Old 03-20-2011, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi,

I just tried to turn on my 3808ci and it comes on, shows up on the GUI, then goes off. I tried this like 6 times and it still does the same thing. Does anyone have a any ideas on what the problem is and how do I fix it? I tried unplugging for 4 hours, then did a hard reboot. It seems it has to go in for service. It tries to come on, but turns back off. Do you guys concur...service??

Thanks, Jerry
post #18471 of 20431 Old 03-21-2011, 04:25 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked: 2199
^^
The most common reason for this issue is a speaker wire from one post touching another post either at the AVR or at the speaker itself, or if the wire is run in a wall perhaps a nail cut the wire. Unless you are still inside your warranty, you may want to pop the top of the AVR and see if there's a blown fuse you can identify that should be easy to replace, otherwise repair is likely your next option.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #18472 of 20431 Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 PM

have a new router avm fritzbox connected to my 3808 sice then I have no web access anymore any ideas ?
post #18473 of 20431 Old 03-21-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post

have a new router avm fritzbox connected to my 3808 sice then I have no web access anymore any ideas ?

I always recommend using a static IP address. Have you tried manually setting the IP address, gateway, etc. on the 3808?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.
post #18474 of 20431 Old 03-21-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Long shot: has anybody ever noticed any of the trigger outputs "bouncing" when they power off? Like if you can see your external amps' power indicators bouncing on/off a couple times starting maybe 15 seconds after shutoff.

I just noticed this twice in the past week, never before. Same amps for >2 years, same 3808 for even longer... Not a big deal I guess, it doesn't make any noise as the trigger signal (if it's indeed that) doesn't stay hot long enough for the amps to go through their full soft-start power cycle, but still one of those little things we/I need to fret about...

Edit: I should mention this "bouncing" doesn't happen when I manually turn the amps off, they stay indicating off (note that the amps' AC power switches are still ON even though the amps are indicating OFF, kind of like when the 3808 is in standby, there's still power there). So is either the 3808 triggers bouncing, or the amps' trigger input circuits being flakey (all of them at the same time...not likely). One other thing I just thought of is I got a new sub just over a week ago. That's all that changed in the system recently. Hmmm, suspicious, since the sub is directly connected to the 3808, though on a different power circuit than the amps or 3808.
post #18475 of 20431 Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

I always recommend using a static IP address. Have you tried manually setting the IP address, gateway, etc. on the 3808?

already tried, still the same,
when I put the 3808 and my pc on a switch everything is fine ....
post #18476 of 20431 Old 03-22-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The most common reason for this issue is a speaker wire from one post touching another post either at the AVR or at the speaker itself, or if the wire is run in a wall perhaps a nail cut the wire. Unless you are still inside your warranty, you may want to pop the top of the AVR and see if there's a blown fuse you can identify that should be easy to replace, otherwise repair is likely your next option.

JD,

Thanks again for your help! We tried all the different info you gave us and it needs to be serviced. Called Denon reapair in Mtn View Ca and they want somewhere around 350 to 400 to fix. This is my son's, I told him that it might be way to much to get it fixed. Not sure what he'll do,

Thanks, Jerry
post #18477 of 20431 Old 03-22-2011, 05:52 AM

Hi,

Is there any other repair shops in the Bay Area Ca (other then the one in Mtn View), that repair Denon recs?

Thanks, Jerry
post #18478 of 20431 Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For some reason the HDMI assignments for my sources are being reset to the default assignment (None); this hasn't happened frequently but has occured at least three times in the last 5 months. If it's an issue involving some internal battery that keeps the info retained in memory--well I don't know if it could be that because all of the other settings don't get reset...so, what could it be?

Tony
post #18479 of 20431 Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 AM

Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneman View Post

For some reason the HDMI assignments for my sources are being reset to the default assignment (None); this hasn't happened frequently but has occured at least three times in the last 5 months. If it's an issue involving some internal battery that keeps the info retained in memory--well I don't know if it could be that because all of the other settings don't get reset...so, what could it be?

Are you using (or anyone using) the three quick select buttons? If you make changes but do not save them to the quick select, and then push one, you will revert back to whatever setting was saved previously.

Drove me batty for while.
post #18480 of 20431 Old 03-22-2011, 09:45 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons07 View Post

JD,

Thanks again for your help! We tried all the different info you gave us and it needs to be serviced. Called Denon reapair in Mtn View Ca and they want somewhere around 350 to 400 to fix. This is my son's, I told him that it might be way to much to get it fixed. Not sure what he'll do,

Thanks, Jerry

This is pretty typical and tough call as to whether repair or replace as the 3808 still remains a top quality AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons07 View Post

Hi,

Is there any other repair shops in the Bay Area Ca (other then the one in Mtn View), that repair Denon recs?

Thanks, Jerry

The Denon repair facilities in CA can be located here.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page