The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 634 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #18991 of 20258 Old 11-16-2011, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do you have to go into the menu to turn off the Dynamic VOL/EQ. On my 2809 there is a button on the remote and on the receiver behind the door to turn it off. Since the 3808 did not come standard with these features I am assuming you have to go into the menu. I want to turn this off on the DVD input for when I watch movies or listen to SACD's. I have the 3808 running into an Elite Pro 720 which does not have HDMI so I can not access the on screen menu unless the receiver is set to a different input than DVD. I have my Oppo Blu Ray contacted component directly to the TV and HDMI for audio to the 3808. I have S video out of the 3808 for my VCR and Laserdisc to the TV which is where my on screen display shows up. So the question is how do I turn off D-Vol/EQ on the DVD input for the audio and leave it on for the digital input from my cable box. The cable box is also component to the TV and optical audio to the 3808. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18992 of 20258 Old 11-16-2011, 06:15 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
^^
No ... after installing the Upgrade Package, the button on the remote cycles through the various Dyn EQ/Vol settings.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #18993 of 20258 Old 11-16-2011, 06:22 AM

Thanks JD. You're always a great help.
post #18994 of 20258 Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thats good to know, i'll be doing the upgrade this weekend

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #18995 of 20258 Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^^

Other possible good news for you may be that if you and mrcarnut ever switch over to Harmony remotes, Batpig's database has discrete commands for each of the DynamicEQ/DynamicVol states and settings (On/Off, Day/Evening/Midnight). I use alternately assigned buttons for most activities.

post #18996 of 20258 Old 11-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Where does one get batpig's database and update my Harmony remote?
post #18997 of 20258 Old 11-16-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwoodward View Post

Where does one get batpig's database and update my Harmony remote?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...LMVA2Ync#gid=0

post #18998 of 20258 Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Once again I am exploring my options for using my 3808 for streaming audio.

Right now, I have an HTPC that has my music on it....WMA Lossless. WMP11 will convert and stream this to the Denon as PCM if I understand what is going on. This works ok. Sound quality if fine, browsing is slow. HTPC must be on, and due to HDMI handshake issues I cannot leave it on.

I am looking to get a NAS device. Looking at Western Digital MyBook Live 2TB.

From what I can determine, if I just move my WMA Lossless files to this, the Denon will not play them.....correct? I would have to use one of the formats the Denon is compatible with, which for lossless would only be FLAC.....correct?

Is there ANY reason, as far as using the media browser on the Denon, to store my music on NAS compared to external HDD connected to the Denon?

Is there any setup option that would give random/shuffle options?

thanks

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #18999 of 20258 Old 11-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I went through all this. I found that Assett UPNP from the dbPoweramp folks is the best DLNA server (music only).

But in the end I bought a Squeezebox Touch and plugged that into my 4308. Logitech provides their own server which is not limited by the DLNA specification (and Denon's implementation), so it provides more features and is much faster. I now have two Touches, which synch with each other, and I even have an app for my Windows Phone 7 to control them.

Very highly recommended.

Mike
post #19000 of 20258 Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Yes the smart man's option is to ditch the crummy built in streaming interface with its slow performance and limited format support and get a REAL streaming device which is dedicated to the job.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #19001 of 20258 Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I would rather use the built in streaming for simplicity sake.

The simplest music server I ever had was a 200 disc CD changer.

Wanting to replicate this internally with the Denon.

Like I said, I have an HTPC which I can and do use for music. I have an Oppo which will stream music. I have a TiVo which will stream music. I can even get up and PLAY a CD....LOL. Don't really want another component, just use what I have to the best of it's ability.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #19002 of 20258 Old 11-18-2011, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, bought the upgrade for $100 bucks. Had to do an initial firmware upgrade first, 75 minutes..wow. Next was to update the new purchase..10 minutes later that was done. I did the purchase for Dynamic EQ, hope it works as good as it sounds in the Audyssey site.

I think its installed..Lol. I had to level match my subs so they are all as one..at least thats the first Audyssey step. I need some bass traps in the back of my room. The front stage has two huge cylindricle traps, i need two more for the back of the room.

How do i do a quick check to see if everything got installed.....

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #19003 of 20258 Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Read post #18992 again.

"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #19004 of 20258 Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Read post #18992 again.

Will it display the cycling if nothing is being played, i just gave it a quick look this morning, I'll spend more time with it this weekend, but i did see all the upgrades last nite on one of the menu pages.

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #19005 of 20258 Old 11-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post

Once again I am exploring my options for using my 3808 for streaming audio.

Right now, I have an HTPC that has my music on it....WMA Lossless. WMP11 will convert and stream this to the Denon as PCM if I understand what is going on. This works ok. Sound quality if fine, browsing is slow. HTPC must be on, and due to HDMI handshake issues I cannot leave it on.

I am looking to get a NAS device. Looking at Western Digital MyBook Live 2TB.

From what I can determine, if I just move my WMA Lossless files to this, the Denon will not play them.....correct? I would have to use one of the formats the Denon is compatible with, which for lossless would only be FLAC.....correct?

Is there ANY reason, as far as using the media browser on the Denon, to store my music on NAS compared to external HDD connected to the Denon?

Is there any setup option that would give random/shuffle options?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post

I would rather use the built in streaming for simplicity sake.

The simplest music server I ever had was a 200 disc CD changer.

Wanting to replicate this internally with the Denon.

Like I said, I have an HTPC which I can and do use for music. I have an Oppo which will stream music. I have a TiVo which will stream music. I can even get up and PLAY a CD....LOL. Don't really want another component, just use what I have to the best of it's ability.

Denon is compatible with WMA, however if your WMA is subject to DRM you need WMP 11 to play it...which means you can't play WMA from a NAS as a NAS would use a different server and not WMA.

I've always steered clear of WMA and use either flac or wav. Of course MP3 is an option and the Denon does a reasonable job of upscaling (or whatever the function is called) MP3 files. I'd suggest flac though.

Only bnefit of a NAS is that your music is on the network and accessible by anything else on your network. The HDD attached to the Denon is only available from the Denon.

There is a random/shuffle mode accessible in the menu and I think the 2nd remote has a button to do this too.

As others have said the Denon streaming function is not great...clunky...poor interface...no album art...limited formats etc.

I too have an Oppo and use that for streaming. It's not perfect but it definitely better than the denon.

blairy
post #19006 of 20258 Old 11-19-2011, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm in firmware Hell. My main right speaker is having woofer problems, subs are way too hot, Dynamic EQ bakes the bass too much.....

.....just as i expected LOL. I'm sure i will iron out all these issues. Now i have to find out which woofer is burnt...

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #19007 of 20258 Old 11-19-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so i setup the sub to 0db to calibrate it in the center of the trim level.

I ran all 8 locations. Holy cow !!! its over the top. My subs are getting a workout for sure. Cant even get close to 0db MV. -4db MV is like scary......

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #19008 of 20258 Old 11-19-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
So in order to get the 3808CI to work with 3D do I have to use an HDMI splitter to send one HDMI in to the Denon for audio and the other HDMI out to the projector for video? And by doing so I lose the on screen display for the volume?

If that is the case, what Denon model will I have to start at to get the same power (typically set my movie volume to -20) and audio quality?
post #19009 of 20258 Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

you'd need a splitter that will do edid spoofing, as a "plain jane" splitter won't work...

alternatively, a bdp with 2 hdmi outputs...

or, assuming your existing player has a spdif output (i believe all do, but may not be active when hooked up with hdmi), hook hdmi to display and spdif to avr... you won't get the high rez codecs that way, however, the differences between those and the lossy codecs are VERY subtle, even on the best of systems...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #19010 of 20258 Old 11-19-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

you'd need a splitter that will do edid spoofing, as a "plain jane" splitter won't work...

or, assuming your existing player has a spdif output (i believe all do, but may not be active when hooked up with hdmi), hook hdmi to display and spdif to avr... you won't get the high rez codecs that way, however, the differences between those and the lossy codecs are VERY subtle, even on the best of systems...

I have to disagree... even my wife (without me prompting) asked why a movie sounded different when we watched one that defaulted to the non-hd audio track.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

post #19011 of 20258 Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

more than likely a level mismatch...

it is subtle... it is not a "immediately notice the difference"... this has been "properly" tested....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #19012 of 20258 Old 11-19-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
xb....

Get a dual HDMI out bluray. Yes you lose the on screen volume display. However you end up with HD Audio and 3D to the display for a lot less then you will need to spend to match the 3808.

I have a Panasonic 310 for exactly that reason and use it with my 3808 and MIT 3D 65738.

I agree with Nick and disagree with cc. On EVERY movie can you tell the difference between HD Audio and Dolby Digital? No. Some movies sound exactly the same. I challenge anyone to tell the difference on the sound tracks for Dolby Digital and HD Audio for Sleepless in Seattle. On the movies that you need and want the sound track to be part of the movie like action adventure movies? Yep. Impact, low bass, etc., all noticeably different on HD Audio tracks for those kinds of movies. Just watched the last two Harry Potters. HD sound track is superb.

"this has been "properly" tested...."

By whom? Define "properly"...

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #19013 of 20258 Old 11-19-2011, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

I have to disagree... even my wife (without me prompting) asked why a movie sounded different when we watched one that defaulted to the non-hd audio track.

I think the only way you can notice an immediate and obvious difference is if the versions were mastered differently. Master & Commander is an example I'm familiar with. The opening battle scene is noticeably different and the lossy soundtrack has much deeper bass while the lossless soundtrack inserted a 20hz(or 25hz) high pass through that scene. There are others(thankfully not too many) but that was one I'm sure of.
post #19014 of 20258 Old 11-19-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is what the reviews of Harry Potter have to say about the audio.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Harry-.../23574/#Review

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #19015 of 20258 Old 11-19-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If you can't tell a difference between HD Audio and non-HD audio there is something wrong with your ears or something wrong with your setup.

The placement of discrete sound tracks into separate channels to rears and side surrounds alone make a huge difference.

I've compared scenes like Mission Impossible where the helicopter is dragged into the Channel Tunnel between non-HD and HD audio. Dolby Digital sounds great. It doesn't sound bad mind you. However the HD Audio pulls you into the scene as if you are there.

So cc if you watch movies like Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, I'm sure dolby digital and HD Audio sound about the same.

post #19016 of 20258 Old 11-19-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

xb....

Get a dual HDMI out bluray. Yes you lose the on screen volume display. However you end up with HD Audio and 3D to the display for a lot less then you will need to spend to match the 3808.

I have a Panasonic 310 for exactly that reason and use it with my 3808 and MIT 3D 65738.

I agree with Nick and disagree with cc. On EVERY movie can you tell the difference between HD Audio and Dolby Digital? No. Some movies sound exactly the same. I challenge anyone to tell the difference on the sound tracks for Dolby Digital and HD Audio for Sleepless in Seattle. On the movies that you need and want the sound track to be part of the movie like action adventure movies? Yep. Impact, low bass, etc., all noticeably different on HD Audio tracks for those kinds of movies. Just watched the last two Harry Potters. HD sound track is superb.

"this has been "properly" tested...."

By whom? Define "properly"...

Thanks guys. I'll look into it. The only current 3D Blu-Ray player that has 2 HDMI outs that I see is the Samsung player selling around $230. Ouch for that. A splitter might be the better choice. I really dislike not seeing the audio level as this is for a home theater setup where the AVR isn't visible in many cases.

As far as HD audio goes I haven't compared for some time but my guess is it's just a cleaner sound and I have 3 15" subs in the room and I'm betting the low end difference would be the most noticeable difference between the lossy and the loss less formats.
post #19017 of 20258 Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:

The only current 3D Blu-Ray player that has 2 HDMI outs that I see is the Samsung player selling around $230. Ouch for that.

wow, have we reached the point in HD land where $200 for a blu-ray player elicits an "ouch"? remember just a few years ago that would be a cheap entry-level model?

anyway you should look around more, there are dual HDMI BDP's from many manufacturers like Oppo, Panasonic, etc. That is definitely not the only one.... but by the nature of the beast they are going to be the higher end players in the lineup and thus more expensive.

Quote:

A splitter might be the better choice.

again, to reiterate what was said above it may not be that simple. The splitter will only work if it can somehow strip the EDID info... because of the way HDMI works (the "handshake" must verify across the entire chain) the audio/video capabilities will always be limited to the lowest common denominator, so with a regular HDMI splitter you likely won't get 3D video because it will see that the receiver can't handle it. That's why the dual HDMI BDP's fill a specific niche and can command the higher price.

with either solution, you will still not see the on-screen volume because the video doesn't pass through the receiver. The only way to do that is to upgrade the AVR unfortunately. Or just forget about that gimmicky 3D crap

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #19018 of 20258 Old 11-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^

more than likely a level mismatch...

it is subtle... it is not a "immediately notice the difference"... this has been "properly" tested....

Linky please?

blairy
post #19019 of 20258 Old 11-20-2011, 03:46 AM

Liked: 10
I have this weird problem with my Denon 3808A. The setup is a 5.1 speaker setup. My right surround back speaker does not produce any sound anymore. When I run the channel level test there is just no tone comming from the speaker.

I connected the speakers to the B output and then the test tone works just fine on the speaker. I think the amp has died for the A speaker channel. Now I want to use the B channel voor my rear surrounds. This works except for Audyssey, when choosing 5.1 it automatically wants the surrounds on the A channel. Now when I start calibrating there are no surrounds detected. When I hook them up to A I get an error telling me to check the right surround back speaker.

I had this problem before. It happned when using my ps3 with 5 channel multi (this is because of fat ps3 with linear setting, thanks batpig manual ) then my right back surround would go silent. Shutting dow the amp for the night, the next day the speakers would work fine again. Now I had to do a hard reset because I screwed up some settings and also lost my Audessey config. After the hard reset, the amp started up with th 5 ch multi setting and ever since the right back surround does not work anymore. I can leave it off for as long as I want to no avail.

That was the story which led me to my question. If anyone has any advice please help me out, cause I am at a loss here! Thanks!
post #19020 of 20258 Old 11-20-2011, 04:08 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Note that in a 5.1 setup there are no "surround back" speakers as there are in a 7.1 setup, rather they are "side surrounds" connected to the "Surround A" and/or "Surround B" speaker posts. Both sets of speaker posts are connected in parallel to the same amp so not sure why you have the existing issue, other than possibly a loose internal connection.

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page