The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 678 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #20311 of 20322 Old 10-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I noticed better sub woofer integration when I went from the 3808 to the X4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20312 of 20322 Old 10-28-2014, 09:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
^^^
Majority would say yes, although now the consideration is whether you want to start using Atmos and so would consider the new 2014 X4100W or X5200W.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #20313 of 20322 Old 10-28-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I say no. There is still only incremental cost/benefit from the fine 3800 which has never given me a problem either. Beware people trying to sell you something.
post #20314 of 20322 Old 10-28-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
I say no. There is still only incremental cost/benefit from the fine 3800 which has never given me a problem either. Beware people trying to sell you something.
Says the man who's never heard the difference between XT and XT32. Same thing dismissing anything beyond 7.1 as a gimmick.

How convenient the coincidence that technological advancement reached its pinnacle exactly at the point where Gary J has set up his personal HT.

And I'm not selling a dang thing.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #20315 of 20322 Old 10-28-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Says the man who's never heard the difference between XT and XT32. Same thing dismissing anything beyond 7.1 as a gimmick.

How convenient the coincidence that technological advancement reached its pinnacle exactly at the point where Gary J has set up his personal HT.

And I'm not selling a dang thing.
I must say I am very surprised to hear you know what I have and have not heard. Maybe you can explain that.
post #20316 of 20322 Old 10-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies...

I myself have heard what XT32 can do as I installed a 4311 in a theater room I did.

In my case, my theater room is also an open room in the house. So the likelihood of going beyond 5.1 is unlikely -- if anything I might add a second PB13 in time; which is hid behind the sectional in the far end of the room.

At the moment I am actually only running 4.1 until I have the funds for the SVS Ultra center and another XPA-100 monoblock to power it...

I'm thinking it might be best the run the 3808 until it is truly dated or gives me trouble. As I can think the only appreciable reason to upgrade is to gain XT32, which might become more of a concern if/when I have two subs...

Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.
--Sergei Rachmaninov

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
--Hector Berlioz
post #20317 of 20322 Old 10-28-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Firmware updates & No power to 2 speakers connected to(B) or Zone (2)

Re: firmware update>>I checked the serial # on my unit & it did not fall into their criteria for the AVR-3808CI. Not needed.

Re: I can't get power to 2 additional speakers that I hooked up to (B) or Zone 2. Neither worked.
post #20318 of 20322 Old 10-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin_Guy View Post
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies...

I myself have heard what XT32 can do as I installed a 4311 in a theater room I did.

In my case, my theater room is also an open room in the house. So the likelihood of going beyond 5.1 is unlikely -- if anything I might add a second PB13 in time; which is hid behind the sectional in the far end of the room.

At the moment I am actually only running 4.1 until I have the funds for the SVS Ultra center and another XPA-100 monoblock to power it...

I'm thinking it might be best the run the 3808 until it is truly dated or gives me trouble. As I can think the only appreciable reason to upgrade is to gain XT32, which might become more of a concern if/when I have two subs...
If you heard the XT32 and don't think it is worth it then don't jump forward yet. I got the X4000 to try using the "wides" but ended up more impressed with XT32 than anything else. I bet X4000s are going pretty cheap on the used market as suckers like me (although not yet) move to the Atmos AVRs.

Oh, and if you use the networking features they are getting better. When I got the 3808 I think Denon was ahead of the game with the networking features : price-point ratio. I was hoping that the X4000 would be exponentially better but was only moderately better. Definitely not worth the upgrade on it's own but could be the tipping point if you use it heavily. In my experience it has been more reliable and faster.

Last edited by rec head; 10-28-2014 at 05:01 PM.
post #20319 of 20322 Old 10-28-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post
If you heard the XT32 and don't think it is worth it then don't jump forward yet. I got the X4000 to try using the "wides" but ended up more impressed with XT32 than anything else. I bet X4000s are going pretty cheap on the used market as suckers like me (although not yet) move to the Atmos AVRs.

Oh, and if you use the networking features they are getting better. When I got the 3808 I think Denon was ahead of the game with the networking featuresrice-point ratio. I was hoping that the X4000 would be exponentially better but was only moderately better. Definitely not worth the upgrade on it's own but could be the tipping point if you use it heavily. In my experience it has been more reliable and faster.
Thanks rec head...

Not to say I was unimpressed with XT32 -- it was a different room, with different speakers, different amps, that I was setting up as a new system -- so I have no basis to evaluate what it might do for my system in my room. I have no doubt the higher resolution filters would help, but being that I use my system in a pretty 'puristic' way (no streaming, only content from media sources) -- probably makes sense for me to complete my speaker and amp purchases and upgrade the AVR later. I do look forward to getting XT32 someday though...

Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.
--Sergei Rachmaninov

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
--Hector Berlioz
post #20320 of 20322 Old 10-29-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
3808CI...having "server disconnected" problem when trying to play a "recently played" station. "Internet Radio" gives me nothing. I have had the receiver since new in 2007 and no issues.
I checked V-Tuner or RadioDenon... http://www.radiodenon.com/setupapp/d...gin/SignIn.asp
and all looks ok with my stations, etc.
I am connected to the Internet, but also get "failed connection" when I try the Update.

Anyone else having an issue?
post #20321 of 20322 Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post
3808CI...having "server disconnected" problem when trying to play a "recently played" station. "Internet Radio" gives me nothing. I have had the receiver since new in 2007 and no issues.
I checked V-Tuner or RadioDenon... http://www.radiodenon.com/setupapp/d...gin/SignIn.asp
and all looks ok with my stations, etc.
I am connected to the Internet, but also get "failed connection" when I try the Update.

Anyone else having an issue?
Yes, I'm getting the "server disconnected" message as well. It was originally a problem that occurred back in 2009, but it was fixed with a firmware update. See http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2009/01/...e-it%e2%80%a6/

However, since around April of this year it is back again. I believe it is caused by some IP address changes to the Rhapsody service. Since I don't know what the new address is, I can't use the workaround that I had the last time by preventing traffic between my Denon and the Rhapsody service in my firewall.

I understand that newer Denon models have received a further firmware update to fix this, but our old 3808 models are considered obsolete by Denon - no fix for us.

I raised this issue with Denon support here in Europe, but all they would suggest was "our engineers have advised that the best course of action would be to get the unit checked at our service agent as they feel that the receiver may have developed some kind of an issue on a hardware level."

Total nonsense, but that's what they said.

Geoff Coupe
post #20322 of 20322 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the response. My Internet has been working fine and updates, "uptodate" but a couple weeks ago nothing.
I have recycled the power many times and keep getting the same result. My wirelesss internet router shows my Denon is connected, but I cannot see my Favorites although when I login to the V-tuner (RadioDenon) I see everything there with my Denon ID (mac address).

I don't use Rhapsody.
Guess it is broken.

"Please try to power cycle your device. To do so, power off thedevice, and unplug the power cord. After waiting 30 seconds, plug it back inand power it back on to try again.
We aso check denon device on our end and it appears working. Please alsocontact Mnufacturer of the device for this matter.
Thank you. "
Regards,
Michael N. Bolton
Support Department
vTuner
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page