Forum Jump: 

post #20341 of 20364 Old 11-06-2014, 05:18 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked: 1801
^^
1. Power On Level (p. 34 Owner's manual)
2. Should just play the last station selected. Try unplugging the unit for 10 minutes.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20342 of 20364 Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks again JD. I also figured out how to turn off the volume display on the TV by getting to that menu.

Next question. How do you set a default station to come on when selecting Tuner? It always comes on an AM station when I turn on the Tuner.

Thanks,

Brett
post #20343 of 20364 Old 11-11-2014, 06:24 AM
585-645-1006

^^
See #2 in my previous post.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #20344 of 20364 Old 11-18-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does Denon have a firmware update for the 3808ci, for Dolby Atmos?

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #20345 of 20364 Old 11-18-2014, 03:07 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Hah! Funny guy. Atmos and Auro3D will only be available on the 2014 and newer models.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #20346 of 20364 Old 11-18-2014, 03:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterguy View Post
Does Denon have a firmware update for the 3808ci, for Dolby Atmos?
Of course -- as soon as the firmware upgrade comes out for my 1975 Pinto that will give it fuel injection, anti-lock brakes and self-parking.

Seriously, the 3808ci is several generations old and if such models could be simply upgraded through firmware, the manufacturers couldn't sell new models.
post #20347 of 20364 Old 11-19-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I'm getting low output out of one speaker for multiple sources, is a microprocessor reset a step in the right direction? It seemed to me after searching and browsing through this thread, that a reset was a suggestion for similar problems.

I also just upgraded to the feature package upgrade and I can't believe I didn't do it five years ago. I have no idea what I was thinking.
post #20348 of 20364 Old 11-19-2014, 10:34 AM
585-645-1006

^^
First swap the speaker with another speaker in the setup to ensure it's not a speaker issue.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #20349 of 20364 Old 11-19-2014, 03:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterguy View Post
LOL, ur probaly the kind of guy, who drives a Pinto, ha ha.
Well, I did have one when I was a teen but not since.
post #20350 of 20364 Old 12-06-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Moving some stuff around as I'm doing an interim update of my home theater receiver and moving the 3808 to my office. In my office I still use vinyl and have dbx disk. What I had was an older legacy style receiver with a tape monitor loop in which was placed the DBX decoder-decompresser for my DBX vinyl. When needed it, just hit tape monitor button.

How do I set this up with the Denon 3808? I'm looking and obviously doesn't seem clear as I'd not need to ask.

Also did processor reset. Which wiped out some stuff but all my Audyssey settings were still in place, etc. What does processer reset "reset"?

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #20351 of 20364 Old 12-11-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I still have not found anything in terms of being able to use a dbx disk decoder and a tape monitor loop. Not talking about setting up a cassette deck.

Only way I can find is to do phono preamp with dbx unit inbetween the preamp and the Denon. But that defeats the entire purpose of using the Denon with its included phone preamp section.

TT to preamp to DBX decoder to Denon. Can bypass the DBX encoder.

But then can't use it for Cassette.

I'd need two dbx decoders/compressors.

And that makes no sense.....

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #20352 of 20364 Old 12-11-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Did find this but need a little help connecting the dots. Can the 3808 do this?

Modern home theater receivers usually include extra "zones". If your receiver has a fixed analog output for "zone 2" etc, then you can create a tape loop. Run the "zone 2" output to the tape deck's input, and the tape deck's output to your receiver's analog audio input. Assign the zone 2 output to whichever input you wish to record, and switch your main zone's input to whichever input the tape deck is connected to.

post #20353 of 20364 Old 12-12-2014, 06:13 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Moving some stuff around as I'm doing an interim update of my home theater receiver and moving the 3808 to my office. In my office I still use vinyl and have dbx disk. What I had was an older legacy style receiver with a tape monitor loop in which was placed the DBX decoder-decompresser for my DBX vinyl. When needed it, just hit tape monitor button.

How do I set this up with the Denon 3808? I'm looking and obviously doesn't seem clear as I'd not need to ask.

Also did processor reset. Which wiped out some stuff but all my Audyssey settings were still in place, etc. What does processer reset "reset"?
The microprocessor reset should return all settings (including Audyssey) to factory default. Not sure why yours did not.

Quote:
Did find this but need a little help connecting the dots. Can the 3808 do this?

Modern home theater receivers usually include extra "zones". If your receiver has a fixed analog output for "zone 2" etc, then you can create a tape loop. Run the "zone 2" output to the tape deck's input, and the tape deck's output to your receiver's analog audio input. Assign the zone 2 output to whichever input you wish to record, and switch your main zone's input to whichever input the tape deck is connected to.
The configuration can be done yes, although not sure how it will sound.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #20354 of 20364 Old 12-12-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Good morning jd....

I've done multiple resets including the network reset with the up and down arrow buttons. And it could be most of the receiver is reset and the receiver might actually be reset. What isn't showing as if it is reset is the web interface. It didn't get a lot of attention before FW development stopped for it. Something in the display for the web interface isn't clearing. I cleared my IE cache, same with Google Chrome. Still showing old stuff. I'm not hooked to a monitor in my office. However when I cycle through the front menu options on the unit itself settings appear to be cleared.

I also noticed that via the web interface I only have two language options, English and French. But through the front display options there are quite a few options.

Either the web interface code is messed up some how or the couple of bugs it possessed never got squished.

It is clearly over kill for an office receiver. It is worth holding on to however.

Now to tackle the tape monitor loop thing by trying the Zone 2 option.

post #20355 of 20364 Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting no signal at all out pre-amp zone 2. Regardless of source. I have Zone 2 set to the appropriate analog source by using the buttons on the front.

I have some setting wrong somewhere.

How do you use the pre-amp zone 2 outs?

post #20356 of 20364 Old 12-12-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Got it. Had to set the volume output to 0db for Zone 2 setting. That changed the pre-outs to line out.

I'm listening to Gino Vanelli DBX vinyl. Nice.

post #20357 of 20364 Old 12-12-2014, 04:09 PM

I'm having trouble performing the reset. I've looked at p58 in the manual, and it looks like it should be working, but no reset happens even after waiting for an hour. All of the input set up details are still there. I'm wondering if I'm waiting too long, too short, letting go of the buttons in the wrong order...

So here's what I'm doing:
1. I make sure the amp is off using the "big" button (which I think says standby and something else)
2. Then I turn off the "little button" <power>
3. Then I hold down the <Standard> and <DSP Simulation> buttons on the front panel, and simultaneously press the little <power>button.
4. I get the whole front panel lit up and flashing ~1/second which sounds like what it's supposed to do. So then I let go of buttons simultaneously, and then it seems to go to starting up as if no reset were taking place. It does go to the FM input, which was NOT the last input it was on. So it seemed almost as if it was starting. But nothing seems to be happening, even after waiting over an hour.
5. I have tried releasing several different button release sequences. Letting go of power first, letting go of the Standard/DSP button first, holding it down for a really long time (it eventually went into regular start up mode), holding it for a short time (just enough time to see it flash twice).

So what does a successful reset look like? Are there any tricks to the reset? Other ideas?

Actually, let me describe the issue in case there's another solution that I wasn't able to find while searching a 679 page thread. Basically, the set-up the for each source is not showing up on the left/source side. And changes are not retained when I go into the set up for each source. This all started after a lightening hit the house. But it all lights up and the FM input worked with static audible until I tried to start messing with the inputs. I guess it had been clear/unused before. I'm pretty much at a loss, and don't want to drag it/ship it to a repair center if there is something I can actually do here. And I've had this receiver since 2008, and have had it working this whole time. But maybe there is some newbie issue I'm forgetting given that I haven't played with a lot of the settings in a long, long time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Rich

Last edited by samandnoah; 12-12-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Adding information
post #20358 of 20364 Old 12-12-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

"This all started after a lightening hit the house."

I'm thinking a reset is not going to fix anything.

post #20359 of 20364 Old 12-13-2014, 07:22 AM

Yes, lightening, but it's still working in some cases...

Quote:
"This all started after a lightening hit the house."

I'm thinking a reset is not going to fix anything.
Except that 1) it turns on/lights up, and 2) and some inputs like USB/Net where I hadn't done a set up in years (maybe ever?) ARE working and playing music. I was able to update the firmware successfully. I went to the browser interface and tried updating the inputs that way, but that didn't seem to make a difference -- though I may not be applying those updates correctly. I find that part confusing.

Anyhow, both the pre-amp and amp sections are working to some extent. And I'd assume that Denon would not use more than 1 piece of RAM to store all of the input settings. So that's why I feel like I've got a shot at solving this without going to repair.

Rich
post #20360 of 20364 Old 12-13-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

There isn't anything to "apply" in terms of how "Apply" usually works/looks for stuff like Windows. There is a "Set" for renaming stuff. Once you select the input option when using the web interface the unit changes to that option.

The web interface can be flakey. I suggest trying the menu via a display monitor.

I've not taken apart by 3808 but have cleaned it. So it could be there's a stick of ram in it somewhere. I've not seen anything that is user changeable in that regard. Everything is soldered to the PCB's.

There is some modular stuff and you might be able to do a plug n play kind of repair. But again that is based on knowing what might me impacted by the lightening.

I hope it works out for you. I'd not have my hopes too high.

There's only two resets. The power button with the standard DSP buttons you've noted. Then the network or LAN reset with is the power button and the up and down arrows.

post #20361 of 20364 Old Yesterday, 02:40 AM

Liked: 0
Exclamation Please wait....

Hi all.
I've been enjoying my AVR-3808ci for a few years now. It's been a wonderful receiver for all my needs. Unfortunately, I recently started getting an error msg when trying to use NET/USB. It now just hangs on "Please wait... AssigningNetwork" or it goes straight to "Network Problem". If I back out and check the info in network setup, it shows it's getting an IP address like normal but just wont let me past the "Please wait..." or "Network Problem".
Nothing has changed, everything is the same... i.e. router, etc. I have tried everything I could think of and have done all the hard reset procedures. Still no joy. Like I said, it's been working for years. I have a 1TB HD filled with my music that I have plugged into the USB that I access via the web browser. That no longer works because it won't go past "Please wait..."
So I'm thinking I have to send it in to get serviced but before I do I figured I'd give you guys a shot.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141221_040753.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	433410  
post #20362 of 20364 Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Is the AVR wired directly to to the modem or connected wirelessly via a bridge modem? Have you rebooted the modem/router as well? Do you have another router you can try? Can you take it to a neighbor's house to test?

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #20363 of 20364 Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Is the AVR wired directly to to the modem or connected wirelessly via a bridge modem? Have you rebooted the modem/router as well? Do you have another router you can try? Can you take it to a neighbor's house to test?
Thanks for the reply.
It has always been hard wired to either a router or switch . I have tried multiple routers/switches, no luck. Like I said, it gets it's dynamic IP from the DHCP server, it just hangs on "Please wait...". I use this receiver everyday. It has done good for the last 4 years. Every other function still works 100%. I just think something is failing, probably an IC.
post #20364 of 20364 Old Today, 03:22 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Try using a static IP address.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page