The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 682 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #20431 of 20448 Old 04-25-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Unlike more current models that have a Zone 2 HDMI monitor output that pass both HDMI audio/video by design, a main zone HDMI output can only pass audio if the setting is changed from "AMP" to "TV" (see p. 30 in your Owner's manual).
Well, that is extremely awful
I love this receiver because it does a lot of great things, but this and HDMI zone 2 not working kinda disappoints

Thank you for the help

I guess I'll just have to get Zone 2 going in that room, too bad because the speakers on that TV are actually pretty good

Last edited by Larry M; 04-25-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20432 of 20448 Old 05-21-2015, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Front speakers not playing

The front speakers recently cut out on my 3808. I had been thinking it was something weird with
how the HDMI and optical inputs were working, but when I switched to a stereo source it was clear that it is just that the front L&R speakers are not working.

I did the factory reset and all that seemed to accomplish was deleting all my settings (GRRRR)

The Audyssey setup will not work because it does not see the left front speaker. When I go try the manual setup, I get no test tone out of the front L & R speakers. Also, it seems to be stuck in 5.1 mode even though I have a 7.1 setup.

Denon support said that if the reset did not help, then I have to take it in for service. I am hoping someone here can give me a clue what is going on so I don't have to go that route

Thanks!
post #20433 of 20448 Old 05-21-2015, 06:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4411 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
^^
Try connecting another set of speakers to the FL/FR speaker posts to ensure the issue isn't with the FL/FR speakers themselves. If not, try unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes, then plug back in and do a series of microprocessor resets (at least 4-5). If still no joy, the amps are likely dead. Try setting the AMP ASSIGN to "Bi-Amp" and connect your FL/FR speakers to the SBL/SBR speaker posts which if it works, will drop you to a 5.1 setup but at least allow you to continue without servicing the unit.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #20434 of 20448 Old 05-21-2015, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCreosote View Post
The front speakers recently cut out on my 3808. I had been thinking it was something weird with
how the HDMI and optical inputs were working, but when I switched to a stereo source it was clear that it is just that the front L&R speakers are not working.

I did the factory reset and all that seemed to accomplish was deleting all my settings (GRRRR)

The Audyssey setup will not work because it does not see the left front speaker. When I go try the manual setup, I get no test tone out of the front L & R speakers. Also, it seems to be stuck in 5.1 mode even though I have a 7.1 setup.

Denon support said that if the reset did not help, then I have to take it in for service. I am hoping someone here can give me a clue what is going on so I don't have to go that route

Thanks!
I've had some crazy HDMI issues recently with my Pioneer SC25, although it may not be the same for you, try unplugging all the HDMI inputs, and use an analog input. At least that should let you know if it is the HDMI board in the avr. I would do this when the unit is cold.
post #20435 of 20448 Old 05-21-2015, 05:22 PM

An HDMI issue was actually my first assumption. Switching to an analog stereo signal is what got me to realize it was just the speakers not playing.
I'll give it another try though with my fingers crossed
post #20436 of 20448 Old 05-22-2015, 11:41 AM

Red face Damn Lady Gaga

After some more investigation, it turns out the speakers are blown and the 3808 is fine.
My wife must have killed them listening to lady Gaga on the treadmill

I was able to rearrange the speakers to get down to 5.1 instead of 7.1 for now.
In my frantic searching through the receiver menus, I did find a volume limiting setting. You better believe it is turned on now!

Thanks again for the advice

Quote:
^^
Try connecting another set of speakers to the FL/FR speaker posts to ensure the issue isn't with the FL/FR speakers themselves. If not, try unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes, then plug back in and do a series of microprocessor resets (at least 4-5). If still no joy, the amps are likely dead. Try setting the AMP ASSIGN to "Bi-Amp" and connect your FL/FR speakers to the SBL/SBR speaker posts which if it works, will drop you to a 5.1 setup but at least allow you to continue without servicing the unit.
post #20437 of 20448 Old 05-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So just purchased my first projector which has 3D and of course discovered my trusty 3808 wont pass along the 3D signal. Been wanting a couple of more HDMI inputs anyway so I suppose its time to look into a new receiver. Its been a couple of years since I have read anything about the new Denon models so I am wondering from the forum which current model is considered the one to get these days? still on 1080p but would certainly like to be as future proof as possible. Any suggestions?
post #20438 of 20448 Old 05-30-2015, 04:08 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler View Post
So just purchased my first projector which has 3D and of course discovered my trusty 3808 wont pass along the 3D signal. Been wanting a couple of more HDMI inputs anyway so I suppose its time to look into a new receiver. Its been a couple of years since I have read anything about the new Denon models so I am wondering from the forum which current model is considered the one to get these days? still on 1080p but would certainly like to be as future proof as possible. Any suggestions?
All of the 2104 models can now do 3D, so just depends on your budget and whether you want the same level of Audyssey MultEQ XT (X1100W, X2100W, X3100W) as the 3808CI or the better Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (X4100W, X5200W, X7200W). Review post ##2 in each of the Denon 2014 Owner's threads to review features of each model.

The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200)

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #20439 of 20448 Old 05-30-2015, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler View Post
If you plan on passing 4K through your avr, you'll have to insure you secure one of the few models than can do this right now. I understand many manufacturers will have models in the second half 2015. In the meantime, for 3D, you can do what I'm doing when I want to watch 3D. Run the HDMI cable direct from the BD player to the pj, and an optical cable from the the BD player to the avr.
post #20440 of 20448 Old 05-30-2015, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. running direct to the PJ with a fiber optic cable from the Xbox One to the 3808 is exactly what I did tonight and it worked fine. I will research the new models but maybe prudent to wait until the next models come out like you mentioned.
post #20441 of 20448 Old 06-25-2015, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 3808 that has been working flawlessly for years. Was using it last night and the phone rang so I paused the content. When I went to start it back up. there was no audio. The video still works fine.

I have tried blowing out the headphone jack. <didn't resolve issue>

Did a Hard reset to bring it back to defaults. <didn't resolve issue>

Tried both audio over both HDMI and analog. Also tried multiple different source inputs. None of them work.

Just for kicks, I tried the test tones. SPEAKERS WORK - Got correct sound over test tones.

So it appears the amp still works, just not ANY audio inputs.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this? Is this something that could be fixed myself, or does it have to be done at a service center?
post #20442 of 20448 Old 06-25-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Press the small off/on button?
post #20443 of 20448 Old 06-25-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Press the small off/on button?
Yep, I tried that too. Plus you do that while doing the factory reset.
post #20444 of 20448 Old 06-25-2015, 05:26 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
I have a 3808 that has been working flawlessly for years. Was using it last night and the phone rang so I paused the content. When I went to start it back up. there was no audio. The video still works fine.

I have tried blowing out the headphone jack. <didn't resolve issue>

Did a Hard reset to bring it back to defaults. <didn't resolve issue>

Tried both audio over both HDMI and analog. Also tried multiple different source inputs. None of them work.

Just for kicks, I tried the test tones. SPEAKERS WORK - Got correct sound over test tones.

So it appears the amp still works, just not ANY audio inputs.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this? Is this something that could be fixed myself, or does it have to be done at a service center?
Unplug the power cord for about 10 minutes, and then try doing a series of hard resets ... at least 4-5 in a row.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #20445 of 20448 Old 06-25-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Unplug the power cord for about 10 minutes, and then try doing a series of hard resets ... at least 4-5 in a row.

Thanks for the suggestion. The receiver has been unplugged most of the day. I did 6 hard resets. Unfortunately, that didn't work.
post #20446 of 20448 Old 07-01-2015, 09:00 PM

Just purchased the Denon 3808ci. My 4802 went bluey, sold it for 40 bucks. Now I have this one for 300 dollars and it looks very clean, and came with everything!

I had purchased the Denon 2808ci and had someone set it up for me, then while alone, it made loud cracking sound though each speaker, and thinking it defective, did purchase the bigger one. Now it seems alright when played at low volume and for music all channels SACD; maybe it has a audio-video card defect, or maybe the rear stereo designed speakers have an issue when used for sound effect, rather than consistent music.

My post purpose it related to the 3808 model. My friend who knows about more modern receiver technology told me to do a firmware upgrade. I did register the Denon, and received no code other than for a purchase discount. The main issue, I worry about having the internet running though the receiver.
How hard is this to do, and what benefit would there be?
post #20447 of 20448 Old Yesterday, 01:18 AM
585-645-1006

^^
You'll want to do a firmware update to install the additional Audyssey features that at the time of AVR release, were not available.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #20448 of 20448 Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKatHT View Post
Just purchased the Denon 3808ci. My 4802 went bluey, sold it for 40 bucks. Now I have this one for 300 dollars and it looks very clean, and came with everything!

I had purchased the Denon 2808ci and had someone set it up for me, then while alone, it made loud cracking sound though each speaker, and thinking it defective, did purchase the bigger one. Now it seems alright when played at low volume and for music all channels SACD; maybe it has a audio-video card defect, or maybe the rear stereo designed speakers have an issue when used for sound effect, rather than consistent music.

My post purpose it related to the 3808 model. My friend who knows about more modern receiver technology told me to do a firmware upgrade. I did register the Denon, and received no code other than for a purchase discount. The main issue, I worry about having the internet running though the receiver.
How hard is this to do, and what benefit would there be?

Any chance you got the 3808 from me?

If so, it has the latest firmware.

Having an internet connection on the AVR allows you to do firmware updates and also allows streaming of internet music as well as streaming of music from a PC on your network.

Last edited by Roger Clark; Yesterday at 08:27 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread