The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 682 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #20431 of 20436 Unread 04-25-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Unlike more current models that have a Zone 2 HDMI monitor output that pass both HDMI audio/video by design, a main zone HDMI output can only pass audio if the setting is changed from "AMP" to "TV" (see p. 30 in your Owner's manual).
Well, that is extremely awful
I love this receiver because it does a lot of great things, but this and HDMI zone 2 not working kinda disappoints

Thank you for the help

I guess I'll just have to get Zone 2 going in that room, too bad because the speakers on that TV are actually pretty good

Last edited by Larry M; 04-25-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20432 of 20436 Unread Yesterday, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Front speakers not playing

The front speakers recently cut out on my 3808. I had been thinking it was something weird with
how the HDMI and optical inputs were working, but when I switched to a stereo source it was clear that it is just that the front L&R speakers are not working.

I did the factory reset and all that seemed to accomplish was deleting all my settings (GRRRR)

The Audyssey setup will not work because it does not see the left front speaker. When I go try the manual setup, I get no test tone out of the front L & R speakers. Also, it seems to be stuck in 5.1 mode even though I have a 7.1 setup.

Denon support said that if the reset did not help, then I have to take it in for service. I am hoping someone here can give me a clue what is going on so I don't have to go that route

Thanks!
post #20433 of 20436 Unread Yesterday, 06:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked: 2244
^^
Try connecting another set of speakers to the FL/FR speaker posts to ensure the issue isn't with the FL/FR speakers themselves. If not, try unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes, then plug back in and do a series of microprocessor resets (at least 4-5). If still no joy, the amps are likely dead. Try setting the AMP ASSIGN to "Bi-Amp" and connect your FL/FR speakers to the SBL/SBR speaker posts which if it works, will drop you to a 5.1 setup but at least allow you to continue without servicing the unit.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #20434 of 20436 Unread Yesterday, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCreosote View Post
The front speakers recently cut out on my 3808. I had been thinking it was something weird with
how the HDMI and optical inputs were working, but when I switched to a stereo source it was clear that it is just that the front L&R speakers are not working.

I did the factory reset and all that seemed to accomplish was deleting all my settings (GRRRR)

The Audyssey setup will not work because it does not see the left front speaker. When I go try the manual setup, I get no test tone out of the front L & R speakers. Also, it seems to be stuck in 5.1 mode even though I have a 7.1 setup.

Denon support said that if the reset did not help, then I have to take it in for service. I am hoping someone here can give me a clue what is going on so I don't have to go that route

Thanks!
I've had some crazy HDMI issues recently with my Pioneer SC25, although it may not be the same for you, try unplugging all the HDMI inputs, and use an analog input. At least that should let you know if it is the HDMI board in the avr. I would do this when the unit is cold.
post #20435 of 20436 Unread Yesterday, 05:22 PM

An HDMI issue was actually my first assumption. Switching to an analog stereo signal is what got me to realize it was just the speakers not playing.
I'll give it another try though with my fingers crossed
post #20436 of 20436 Unread Today, 11:41 AM

Red face Damn Lady Gaga

After some more investigation, it turns out the speakers are blown and the 3808 is fine.
My wife must have killed them listening to lady Gaga on the treadmill

I was able to rearrange the speakers to get down to 5.1 instead of 7.1 for now.
In my frantic searching through the receiver menus, I did find a volume limiting setting. You better believe it is turned on now!

Thanks again for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Try connecting another set of speakers to the FL/FR speaker posts to ensure the issue isn't with the FL/FR speakers themselves. If not, try unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes, then plug back in and do a series of microprocessor resets (at least 4-5). If still no joy, the amps are likely dead. Try setting the AMP ASSIGN to "Bi-Amp" and connect your FL/FR speakers to the SBL/SBR speaker posts which if it works, will drop you to a 5.1 setup but at least allow you to continue without servicing the unit.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread