The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 684 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #20491 of 20518 Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4795 Post(s)
Liked: 2501
^^
Could be the Belkin or loose or defective HDMI cables.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective? Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20492 of 20518 Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Could be the Belkin or loose or defective HDMI cables.
Yeah, as I was talking to a co-worker about it, it occurred to me it's entirely possible the HDMI cable between the receiver and the TV is faulty. I will start with that, then the Belkin, then the other HDMI cables. On the plus side, I have access to a killer Denon vendor discount, if the receiver is at fault and I need to replace it.
post #20493 of 20518 Old 07-14-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee.edwards View Post
Yeah, as I was talking to a co-worker about it, it occurred to me it's entirely possible the HDMI cable between the receiver and the TV is faulty. I will start with that, then the Belkin, then the other HDMI cables. On the plus side, I have access to a killer Denon vendor discount, if the receiver is at fault and I need to replace it.
I am relieved, if a little embarrassed, to admit that the issue was with one HDMI cable between my receiver and the set. I have never had an HDMI cable fail before, but I guess there's a first time for everything. This was a Monoprice cable, and while I have always had good luck with their stuff, nobody's perfect. Everything is fine now.
post #20494 of 20518 Old 07-14-2015, 08:04 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee.edwards View Post
I am relieved, if a little embarrassed, to admit that the issue was with one HDMI cable between my receiver and the set. I have never had an HDMI cable fail before, but I guess there's a first time for everything. This was a Monoprice cable, and while I have always had good luck with their stuff, nobody's perfect. Everything is fine now.
Great! Thanks for reporting back. Enjoy.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #20495 of 20518 Old 07-15-2015, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Audio Return Channel (ARC) refers to the ability of HDMI to pipe an audio stream back FROM the display TO the receiver over the single HDMI monitor connection. So if your TV has internally tuned audio (direct cable signal, smart apps like Netflix streaming, etc) you can pipe it back to your AV receiver without having to use a separate digital audio connection. One cable, two-way street.
Does anybody know if this will solve the problem? I finally got a smart TV and was just informed by the installed that the TV aps won't play through my AVR. Grrr.

Amazon: Search hdmi arc adapter

Thanks for the help!

g-
post #20496 of 20518 Old 07-15-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_e_young View Post
Does anybody know if this will solve the problem? I finally got a smart TV and was just informed by the installed that the TV aps won't play through my AVR. Grrr.

Thanks for the help!

g-
Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Adapter...mi+arc+adapter
post #20497 of 20518 Old 07-15-2015, 12:34 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Thanks for the help!

g-
Correct. The 3808CI is only HDMI 1.3 while in order for HDMI ARC to work, the AVR must be at least HDMI 1.4.

Quote:
You don't need this, rather simply connect an optical cable from the optical audio output on the TV to one of the AVR's optical inputs and set the TV's audio to "external speakers"/"home theater."

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #20498 of 20518 Old 07-15-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Correct. The 3808CI is only HDMI 1.3 while in order for HDMI ARC to work, the AVR must be at least HDMI 1.4.

You don't need this, rather simply connect an optical cable from the optical audio output on the TV to one of the AVR's optical inputs and set the TV's audio to "external speakers"/"home theater."
Thank you for the quick reply...the problem is that my HDMI goes through the wall to an audio cabinet, and I'm thinking this little box might be a simpler solution than trying to fish more wires through the wall. I'm just not sure this little box does exactly what I need since most of the reviewers are doing something different than what I'm intending to do.

Thanks for the help..

g-
post #20499 of 20518 Old 07-15-2015, 12:55 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply...the problem is that my HDMI goes through the wall to an audio cabinet, and I'm thinking this little box might be a simpler solution than trying to fish more wires through the wall. I'm just not sure this little box does exactly what I need since most of the reviewers are doing something different than what I'm intending to do.

Thanks for the help..

g-
Right. This extractor is apparently used in only one direction which passes the HDMI signal through to the TV and extracts the audio via the optical audio output. Strange that they list it as an HDMI ARC device. You could try and contact the mfr to confirm.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-15-2015 at 12:58 PM.
post #20500 of 20518 Old 07-15-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Right. This extractor is apparently used in only one direction which passes the HDMI signal through to the TV and extracts the audio via the optical audio output. Strange that they list it as an HDMI ARC device. You could try and contact the mfr to confirm.
Note first paragraph below...a bit cryptic but I think it should work. Agree?

The VHD-H2HARC is the latest generation ViewHD HDMI Audio Extractor with MHL, Ultra HD / 4K and ARC supports. It extracts audio from the HDMI input and present it in SPDIF output or analog L/R output, for audio receiver / amplifier / headphone applications. The unit does not change incoming video and audio formats. HDMI output signals (audio and video) are identical to the HDMI input signals (audio and video).

This newer version incorporates special Audio EDID settings for flexible and advanced audio applications. The three special EDID settings are implemented to make the product more user friendly and provide more controls for various applications.

L/R outputs support PCM 2CH stereo and SPDIF supports audio formats up to Dolby Digital 5.1CH or DTS 5.1CH, therefore when the incoming HDMI audio is 2CH stereo, the SPDIF and L/R outputs will work at the same time; when the incoming HDMI audio is Dolby Digital 5.1CH or DTS 5.1CH, the SPDIF will work, but the L/R output will not work; when the incoming HDMI audio format is higher than Dolby Digital 5.1CH or DTS 5.1CH, such as Dolby Digital Plus, PCM 5.1CH, PMC7.1CH including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, both the SPDIF and L/R outputs will not work, user can still obtain these advanced audio signals from HDMI output, because HDMI output signal is identical to the HDMI input signal.

Use ARC button to turn on / off the ARC function as indicated by the ARC LED light; To use ARC function: 1) the ARC LED light must be on; 2) the display connected to HDMI output must support ARC and a HDMI v1.4 cable must be used to connect the HDMI output to the ARC enabled HDMI input of the display; 3) ARC audio is available from the SPDIF optical output ONLY. Typically, ARC audio uses Dolby Digital 5.1CH / AC3 surround sound format for audio system / receiver application.
post #20501 of 20518 Old 07-15-2015, 02:25 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Sure. Strange that not one review (at least of those I read) shows it being used in that fashion though. Give it a try and report back the results.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #20502 of 20518 Old 07-15-2015, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There'll be an endless supply of these gizmos in every flavor coming onto the market. Lots and lots of perfectly good AVRs in place that are less than HDMI 1.4-capable. When someone hears of a particularly flexible HDMI splitter that is REMOTE-CONTROLLABLE, please post up its make, model, channel, and price.
post #20503 of 20518 Old 07-17-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
^^
Sure. Strange that not one review (at least of those I read) shows it being used in that fashion though. Give it a try and report back the results.
Deal - I will order it and install it when I get back from travel in a few weeks and let you guys know how it goes...

Thanks for the help.

g-
post #20504 of 20518 Old 07-17-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williak View Post
There'll be an endless supply of these gizmos in every flavor coming onto the market. Lots and lots of perfectly good AVRs in place that are less than HDMI 1.4-capable. When someone hears of a particularly flexible HDMI splitter that is REMOTE-CONTROLLABLE, please post up its make, model, channel, and price.
There are a bunch of options on Amazon, but it's hard to sort wheat from chaff.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tical+splitter

Have fun!

g-
post #20505 of 20518 Old 07-17-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:

There are a bunch of options on Amazon, but it's hard to sort wheat from chaff.
Have fun!

The idea was that you hard-up guys would do the guinea pig routine, then report back to let us big mules know what works/what doesn't. Any problem with that program?
post #20506 of 20518 Old 07-23-2015, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Translation: search out HDMI switches that handle all this stuff (see Item 7974 Monoprice to see particulars, no recommendation implied).
Have you used this item ( 7974 Monoprice) ? I am looking to Watch 3D with my Projector, XBone and Denon 3808

Thanks!
post #20507 of 20518 Old 07-23-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlin27 View Post
Have you used this item ( 7974 Monoprice) ? I am looking to Watch 3D with my Projector, XBone and Denon 3808

Thanks!
I have not. However, most products on most of the usual sites have user reviews associated with them. I suggest you consult them for actual experiences with the products you're considering. Good luck.

P.S. Don't forget Amazon; it also sells Monoprice products AND has an active review community.
post #20508 of 20518 Old 07-23-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I have not. However, most products on most of the usual sites have user reviews associated with them. I suggest you consult them for actual experiences with the products you're considering. Good luck.

P.S. Don't forget Amazon; it also sells Monoprice products AND has an active review community.
Thanks!
post #20509 of 20518 Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 AM

Question for you all on my Denon 3808

I watch a lot of youtube videos on my tv, also stream music etc from different sources. It seams when I stream any sort of music / youtube I have little to no bass, and I also notice my Sub doesn't fire at all.

Can I get some advice for the following
For streaming music etc how do I get my sub to be used?
If I want to listen to Music in 7.1 (or just out of all the speakers) how do I do that?

Thanks all

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my theater build thread Theater on the Fairways Build
post #20510 of 20518 Old 07-28-2015, 09:10 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlin27 View Post
Question for you all on my Denon 3808

I watch a lot of youtube videos on my tv, also stream music etc from different sources. It seams when I stream any sort of music / youtube I have little to no bass, and I also notice my Sub doesn't fire at all.

Can I get some advice for the following
For streaming music etc how do I get my sub to be used?
If I want to listen to Music in 7.1 (or just out of all the speakers) how do I do that?

Thanks all

After running Audyssey, if the AVR sets your FL/FR speakers to LARGE, reset them to SMALL/80Hz using Manual Setup which will then pass the lower frequencies to the sub as well as pass the load required to play them to the sub which has its own amp.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #20511 of 20518 Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
After running Audyssey, if the AVR sets your FL/FR speakers to LARGE, reset them to SMALL/80Hz using Manual Setup which will then pass the lower frequencies to the sub as well as pass the load required to play them to the sub which has its own amp.
Awesome, Thank you... This has to be what it is because I noticed the fronts were set to Large.

Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #20512 of 20518 Old 07-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Are your speakers set to Large or Small? Does your sub work with other media?

To listen using all speakers you just need to change the surround mode you are using. I can't remember which button on that remote. You want to try Dolby PLII, DTS Neo (or whatever it is called) and 7 channel stereo.
post #20513 of 20518 Old 07-28-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post
Are your speakers set to Large or Small? Does your sub work with other media?

To listen using all speakers you just need to change the surround mode you are using. I can't remember which button on that remote. You want to try Dolby PLII, DTS Neo (or whatever it is called) and 7 channel stereo.
The Sub works when I am listening to 5.1 and 7.1 content
Speakers got set to Large through Audysee

post #20514 of 20518 Old 07-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Set the speakers to small and set the cross over to 80hz and see how it sounds. Also make sure you aren't using Pure Direct or Direct mode.
post #20515 of 20518 Old 07-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you want to listen in stereo and have the sub work you should also check the following setup location after running an Audyssey calibration. I haven't run a calibration in a long time but my recollection was that the AVR set this area to a default of Large/no sub whenever a calibration was performed and I'd have to go in and reset them manually.

Manual Setup
Audio Setup
2ch Direct/Stereo

make sure Fronts are set to small, sub to yes (probably LFE mode) and the crossover is correct.
post #20516 of 20518 Unread Yesterday, 09:39 PM

Liked: 0
4K Signal into Denon 3808CI

Hi all, sorry if this has been answered, but does anyone have experience sending a 4k signal into their Denon 3808CI receiver? If so, did it work?

I'm interested in the Samsung BD-J7500 (which apparently upscales to 4k) to go with my Samsung UN65JS8500 TV. I suppose the signal could go blu ray -> TV -> loop audio to receiver, but in the spirit of keeping source switching simple for everyone in the house, I'd prefer to connect source -> receiver -> TV/Speakers.

If no to the initial question, then any blu-ray player recommendations?

Thanks
post #20517 of 20518 Unread Yesterday, 09:57 PM

Liked: 0
Then again, real 4k blu ray players will be coming out in a year or so along with hopefully more 4k content... maybe it's better to get a cheap-ish blu ray player now, then revisit in a year or two....
post #20518 of 20518 Unread Today, 02:19 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritonrider412 View Post
Hi all, sorry if this has been answered, but does anyone have experience sending a 4k signal into their Denon 3808CI receiver? If so, did it work?

I'm interested in the Samsung BD-J7500 (which apparently upscales to 4k) to go with my Samsung UN65JS8500 TV. I suppose the signal could go blu ray -> TV -> loop audio to receiver, but in the spirit of keeping source switching simple for everyone in the house, I'd prefer to connect source -> receiver -> TV/Speakers.

If no to the initial question, then any blu-ray player recommendations?

Thanks
The 3808CI is only HDMI 1.3 so not only will it not pass an HDMI 1.4 full 1080p 3D signal but also will it not pass an HDMI 1.4/HDMI 2.0 4k signal either. When available later this fall/early 2016, you'll want to purchase a dual HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 BDP using one HDMI to pass the video to the TV and the other HDMI to pass the HD audio to the AVR.

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page