The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 687 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
post #20581 of 20598 Unread 03-19-2016, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If anyone has a 1068 controller for sale, i'm interested.

Also, I'm pretty new to this fancy Hi-Five stuff so please pardon my ignorance concerning "clipping". I'm kinda worried about it because of all the stories i've read concerning permanent damage to speakers. Hopefully, my worries are for naught and I'll never have to worry about it.

Mits WD 73/838
Denon 3808ci
Denon DBP-A100
Nakamichi 680ZX
Infinity Alpha 50 L/R
Infintiy SM-85
JBL SUB-10 (Venue)
Infinity SM Video CC
Denon 391 main speakers as the rear sur. speakers which are 6 Ohms (I'm working on it)

I still no nothing about what can or is happening when running different ohm speakers like I am. I'm looking for some 8 ohms as I type. I told you I was IGNORANT. My system sounds pretty darn good. Nothing but CLARITY and POWER -- especially on tape. It actually seems like the higher I turn it up the clearer it gets which to me is odd. (Please note, I used the mic for that Audessy thing.) I guess I'm just not use to quality which I believe, I do have now and it's Wonderful. Do I have anything to worry about in the clipping department?

Something else which I find very intriguing. I mentioned "tape" above. Well, anyone who believes that digital is better than Tape has another thing coming. I'm learning now how to manipulate the frequencies with a buddies Mixer and I'm finding that I can do more for clarity while working with Tape than I can with digital the difference being ASTOUNDING. Music is so much fuller and has a richness to it like I've never heard before. Subtle things like fingers on frets, and the actual breathing of the singer(s). Why we went to digital sure wasn't because of quality. The system I have dictates it. I just wish I knew why.

Thank You

Last edited by Lovejoy83; 03-20-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20582 of 20598 Unread 03-20-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwoodward View Post
So my ONKYO isn't working and I move my 3808 to the office.
I can't get anything to work on the DVR HDMI input
Sometimes I see the picture but not the audio.

Same component (cable box or apple tv) works on the other inputs.

Anyone have any idea what I have done?

thanks

UPDATE 1 hour later...
NO HDMI output. No OSD. No DENON logo.
tried 2 other tv's.

What could be going on here. NO OUTPUT today on ONKYO then same on DENON
Can a component or a bad HDMI cable cause this issue.

This is a nightmare.

first things first. Did you try a factory reset?

Thanks,
Hansang
post #20583 of 20598 Unread 03-20-2016, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Posted this in the firmware thread too, but I'll try here too. I tried the firmware update yesterday and now I can't get any video out. No denon logo, no menu, nothing. I've tried the factory reset and microprocessor reset with no change. Any suggestions?
post #20584 of 20598 Unread 03-20-2016, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post
first things first. Did you try a factory reset?
Yes I did. several of them.
post #20585 of 20598 Unread 03-28-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I need to add a BT transmitter to my 3808, how do I connect it since there is no 3.5mm out jack, I only have the R/L RCA's as input.

Audyssey setup guide
post #20586 of 20598 Unread 03-29-2016, 03:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9738 Post(s)
Liked: 4521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post
I need to add a BT transmitter to my 3808, how do I connect it since there is no 3.5mm out jack, I only have the R/L RCA's as input.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/39137232?w...988649&veh=sem

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #20587 of 20598 Unread 03-29-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
OK,, thanks I do have one of those, but which output do I connect too. I'm running CBL/TV input from STB, how do I keep that and still use BT?

Audyssey setup guide
post #20588 of 20598 Unread 03-29-2016, 08:30 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post
OK,, thanks I do have one of those, but which output do I connect too. I'm running CBL/TV input from STB, how do I keep that and still use BT?
Either of the VCR or DVR audio outputs.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #20589 of 20598 Unread 05-08-2016, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am bringing this thread from the dead. I have replaced my 3808ci with a new x6200W. My 3808CI has worked perfect except for the following:

Roughly 1 year ago, the receiver started forgetting its settings. It would completely forget what input is assigned to what connection. Also if the input was named it would forget this. This would only occur if the receiver lost power. Everything else on the receiver works perfect. Firmware updates worked without issues, the previous downloadable upgrades were still there etc. Just everytime it lost power, settings were lost, and i would then have to upload the settings back in over the network.

I want to use this receiver in another room, so hoping there might be a fix. Last time i asked, no one had ever run into the same issue. I was just seeing if anyone has had this problem occur, or has anyone ever completely disassembled a 3808ci and saw if there was an internal battery used to hold memory/settings.

Thanks,
post #20590 of 20598 Unread 05-11-2016, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My 3808 changes HDMI input on my tv after approx 30 min

I have noticed that when my receiver is on, it changes the input of my Panasinc G20 series to HDMI4 after about 30 min.

I just switch back but it is annoying and especially when my kids are using the tv because they don't know how to change back to the correct input.

I am pretty sure this started to occur after I upgraded to the new firmware with hdmi control. Not sure if it has anything to do with it. I have tried to disable "HDMI Control" but it still changes input.

Any ideas?
post #20591 of 20598 Unread 05-13-2016, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Interesting that you are having a similar problem to what I just started having with my 3808. It has probably been years since I upgraded the firmware so I don't think that is your problem. So within the last month the Denon input will change on its own with nobody touching any remotes, not even the cat stepping on the buttons. I'm only using the smaller remote. The bigger one with the display doesn't even have batteries in it. Maybe a full reboot will fix the problem. I may do that later today, but right now I need to cut grass and paint a couple rooms, and that is more important in maintaining marital bliss than fixing the Denon!

Last edited by earthbound; 05-13-2016 at 06:54 AM. Reason: fixed typos
post #20592 of 20598 Unread 05-13-2016, 10:01 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningdalgaard View Post
I have noticed that when my receiver is on, it changes the input of my Panasinc G20 series to HDMI4 after about 30 min.

I just switch back but it is annoying and especially when my kids are using the tv because they don't know how to change back to the correct input.

I am pretty sure this started to occur after I upgraded to the new firmware with hdmi control. Not sure if it has anything to do with it. I have tried to disable "HDMI Control" but it still changes input.

Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbound View Post
Interesting that you are having a similar problem to what I just started having with my 3808. It has probably been years since I upgraded the firmware so I don't think that is your problem. So within the last month the Denon input will change on its own with nobody touching any remotes, not even the cat stepping on the buttons. I'm only using the smaller remote. The bigger one with the display doesn't even have batteries in it. Maybe a full reboot will fix the problem. I may do that later today, but right now I need to cut grass and paint a couple rooms, and that is more important in maintaining marital bliss than fixing the Denon!

This issue has presented randomly on some more current models as well. If doing a microprocessor reset 4-5 times in a row doesn't resolve the issue, most likely cause is a defective HDMI board and the board is likely no longer available.

------------

post #20593 of 20598 Unread 08-09-2016, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon 3808Ci Help!

Good Morning All,

Really hoping to find some help here....not sure where to turn next. I received this Receiver (Denon 3808Ci) as a hand me down, and I'm really having issues getting this set up properly. So I guess I'll start at the beginning.....

I'm not using this device for a regular Home Theater application, rather, I'm using it in my home studio as my receiver/amplifier, mainly to route my audio from various components (TV,Xbox, etc) to an rca output that will connect to the rca input on my mixer and, I'd like the sound to route to my speakers, I have 2 sets of speakers (one set on either side of the tv at the front of the room, and one set at the rear of the room facing the front set) both with speaker wire inputs (not rca).

I have tried following the instructions to connect via hdmi (and composite for that matter), but I never could get it to work right. I just want to route the L/R audio from my TV outputs into the Denon L/R composite, then have the sound come out of all four speakers and one of the zone rca outputs (I don't care if its 2 or 3) to go to my mixer.

I have to admit I'm getting pretty frustrated, and I'm beginning to think I should just go get the best buy $99 special, but it seems like such a waste of an awesome receiver....but maybe its too much machine for my application.

Appreciate any assistance that anyone can offer....I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

Thanks!

D
post #20594 of 20598 Unread 08-10-2016, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try the Optical Out from the TV to the Optical In on the Denon.

CEH in MD
post #20595 of 20598 Unread 08-10-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3270 Post(s)
Liked: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by damiansanford View Post
I have tried following the instructions to connect via hdmi (and composite for that matter), but I never could get it to work right. I just want to route the L/R audio from my TV outputs into the Denon L/R composite, then have the sound come out of all four speakers and one of the zone rca outputs (I don't care if its 2 or 3) to go to my mixer.
First forget about the mixer. Let's just get a basic audio input working to the 3808.

You can use either RCA analog or optical digital (as long as the TV is set to output 2.0 PCM stereo via digital) from the TV. Both 2.0 PCM over optical and analog RCA will be available via the RCA stereo outputs, but HDMI audio will NOT so forget about HDMI for this application.

Now, the problem is almost certainly your input assignments and input mode settings. If you are connecting to an input on the 3808 that has an HDMI input assigned to it, then you won't get the "lower priority" audio feeds because it will be expecting audio from the HDMI connection.

So you need to find the input settings in the 3808 GUI, and then make sure no HDMI input is assigned to the logical name you are trying to use. There is also an "input mode" setting which can toggle Auto>Digital>Analog so you can force the audio from a non-HDMI connection by changing from "Auto" to "Digital" (for optical) or "Analog" (for RCA).

Once you get that all sorted than the RCA output should be working too as long as it's selected as the Zone 2 source. And you can broadcast audio to all four speakers by selecting the "Multichannel Stereo" surround mode. Make sure to double check the speaker settings and disable all but Front L/R + Surround L/R so that no signal is going to unused speaker outputs.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #20596 of 20598 Unread 08-12-2016, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Perhaps HDMI issue...

Hello All,

i purchased a Android TV Box "Greatever T95m" TV Box. I have a Denon 3808ci receiver with a newer Vizio TV. If i plug the T95 directly to the Vizio TV with the HDMI i can see the picture fine. but when i plug the T95 to my Denon 3808ci that is only HDMI 1.3 capable i only can see the T95 logo for a second, then the screen goes blank. I think the issue is that the T95 is HDMI 2.0 ? only? not backwards compatible with HDMI 1.3? please help! Bernie
post #20597 of 20598 Unread 08-12-2016, 05:15 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie R View Post
Hello All,

i purchased a Android TV Box "Greatever T95m" TV Box. I have a Denon 3808ci receiver with a newer Vizio TV. If i plug the T95 directly to the Vizio TV with the HDMI i can see the picture fine. but when i plug the T95 to my Denon 3808ci that is only HDMI 1.3 capable i only can see the T95 logo for a second, then the screen goes blank. I think the issue is that the T95 is HDMI 2.0 ? only? not backwards compatible with HDMI 1.3? please help! Bernie
Try updating the HDMI cables to the newer "Premium" HDMI 2.0 cables and if still no joy, you'll need to pass the video directly to the TV with audio to the AVR if you don't plan on updating the AVR to a more current HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 model.

------------

post #20598 of 20598 Unread Yesterday, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try updating the HDMI cables to the newer "Premium" HDMI 2.0 cables and if still no joy, you'll need to pass the video directly to the TV with audio to the AVR if you don't plan on updating the AVR to a more current HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 model.
OK.

Having experimented with a family members cheap ( but much newer ) Yamaha receiver the problem lies with my older ( but expensive) Denon 3808ci receiver being HDMI 1.3 not working with this Android TV Box.

What do you guys think about this HDMI switcher with SPDIF/TOSLINK as my video switcher. Will I be able to receive Dolby Digital into the 3808ci with the SPDIF link and it will recognize and play the DD 5.1 audio properly on my Denon?

thx,

Bernie

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...dp/B01296E5OO/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread