The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please use this Thread for all discussion on the Denon 3808CI
Below are the details provided on ListenUp.com....

Discription:
Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD Master Audio, and 1080p video
The Denon AVR-3808CI A/V receiver serves as the brains and brawn of your high-definition home theater.

* HDMI 1.3 compatibility, which allows for 1080p signal transfer and decoding of the advanced audio formats used in Blu-ray and HD DVD players
* Analog to HDMI video upconversion, so all your video sources look as good as possible
* 1080p scaling is done with high-performance Faroudja DCDi chip
* XM Radio ready
* PC/Network connectivity provides the option for automatic firmware updates
* Audyssey MultEQ XT audio set-up tailors the receiver for your room's specific acoustics

The AVR-3808CI continues Denon's new tradition of stellar CI-designated products, as it's chock full of the performance and features you require for today's 1080p HDTV home theaters.

The HDMI connections boast the latest 1.3 specification, meaning they pass a full 1080p video signal with 36-bit Deep Color for unsurpassed color reproduction on compatible TVs. Also supported, via Denon's newly developed Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit-HD, are the new Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio surround-sound formats now available on Blu-ray and HD DVD high-definition discs. And your existing 480p DVD collection will look better than ever with 1080p scaling provided by Faroudja's industry-standard-setting DCDi chip.

Ethernet connectivity, auto set-up, a new GUI and more
With an RJ-45 Ethernet port, the 3808CI makes it easier than ever to integrate you A/V system into your home network. Mac/PC audio streaming gives you access to Internet radio as well as all your digitized music, including MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless and now AAC-iTunes files! There are even USB ports (front and rear) with command and control functionality for portable music players, flash drives, and other devices. And of course the optional Denon dock lets you charge, control and distribute the music from your iPod.

This PC/network connectivity gives you the capability to make easy online firmware upgrades, and allows Denon engineers to remotely access your receiver and diagnose and fix many problems.

Another great feature is Audyssey MultEQ XT audio set-up, which tailors the receiver's settings for your room's specific acoustics from six different seating positions! And the new, truly interactive graphic user interface (GUI) for the onscreen set-up menus is much more attractive and intuitive, making it a snap to get your new receiver up and running and performing at its optimum levels.

The 3808CI is XM Radio-ready and Mini-Tuner compatible (with the XM Mini-Tuner and the proper dock, you can enjoy XM using your home audio system's buttons, knobs and display).

Multiple sources in multiple rooms!
With 3-source/3-zone capability and an additional remote control included, the 3808CI can easily be the centerpiece of your multi-room system. The RS-232 port allows integration with Denon's new two-way remote and RF/IR base station as well as third-party remote controllers.

Three independent transformers provide the juice for seven channels of 130WPC amplification, so you'll have more than enough pristine power to feed even the most demanding speakers. Denon's AL24+ processing reproduces low-level signals with optimum clarity to bring out all the delicate nuances of your music.

Highlights

* Plug n' Play functionality lets you enjoy your receiver right out of the box; there is still a broad range of assignable functions available for more advanced users and/or custom installers
* Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit-HD for state-of-the-art reproduction of high-def disc soundtracks
* HDMI 1.3 repeater function passes the highest quality signals available
* Analog to HDMI video upconversion
* AL24+ processing
* Audyssey MultEQ XT audio set-up
* New GIU
* 3-source, 3-zone, Zone2 OSD, Zone remote
* Remote maintenance through Internet connection
* Wi-Fi Network audio and IP control
* 2-way RF remote ready
* XM Radio ready

DENON AVR-3808CI $1,599.00

Features and Specs
New front panel design, controls and lettering
Equal power amplifiers: 7-channel
Power output (watts per channel @ 8 ohms, 20hz to 20kHz): 130
All channels rated @ 0.05 THD
Low impedance drive capability
High-current/discrete amplifiers
Independent power transformers: 3
Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit-HD
DSP Processors - Analog Devices, SHARC: ADSP 21366 x 1, 21367 x 1
Processor design: 32-bit floating point
Processor circuit sampling frequency: 192kHz
Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital+ Decoding, dts-HD Master Audio Decoding
THX Surround EX and Dolby Digital Surround EX decoding
Dolby Pro Logic IIx, with Cinema, Music and Game modes
dts ES Discrete 6.1 and dts ES Matrix 6.1 decoding
dts Neo:6 Stereo-to-Surround Cinema and Music modes
dts 96/24 5.1 for DVD-Video processing
HDCD Decoder
XM-HD 5.1 via Neural Surround decoding
Compressed Audio Restorer for portables/iPods/network audio
Audyssey MultiEQ XT auto setup calibration and room correction for 6 seating positions
Audyssey MultiEQ Pro calibration compatible - Audyssey Installer Ready
Auto setup microphone included: New Y/Alum type
AL24+ Processing on all channels
24-bit/192kHz DACs: 2-/8-channel PCM1791A
Analog-to-Digital conversion: 24/192 PCM1804
Variable High/Low Pass crossover points (12/24dB): 40/60/80/100/120/150/200/250
Assignable digital inputs
Digital input: DENON Link 3rd (PCM/DSD) compatible
iPod ready with a Denon D-dock
USB Port for portable music players/flash drives/HDD with command and control functionality
XM Satellite Radio ready - Mini-Tuner compatible
Multi-source/Zone discrete tuner select function - AM/FM/XM
HDMI 1.3a Repeater Inputs/Outputs - supports 1080p, 36-bit Deep Color, xvYCC Color Space, Auto Lip Sync correction, 7.1 uncompressed 24/96 Audio, SACD
Analog to HDMI Video Conversion/Scaling: 480p/720p/1080i/1080p
Faroudja DCDi Video Processing and Scaling (FLI02310)
Main Zone Video Encoder: Analog Devices ADV7320 12-bit
Main Zone Video Decoder: Analog Devices ADV7403 12-bit
NSV - Noise Shaped Video processing
Digital Inputs: 3 coaxial, 4 optical
Digital Outputs: 2 optical (assignable)
Digital-to-Analog REC Out
Analog Audio Inputs (including Tuner): 11
Phono Input
Analog Record Outputs: 3
Front Panel A/V Inputs w/Cover: Composite, S-Video and Optical
Independent Video Conversion: S-Video to Composite for Zone 2
Composite Video Inputs: 7
Composite Video Outputs: 3
S-Video Inputs: 7
S-Video Outputs: 3
Component Video Inputs x bandwidth (assignable): 3 x 100
Component Video Outputs (parallel main zone): 2
Discrete second zone Component Video Outputs
Dual surround mode speaker selector
All new Graphic User Interface (GUI)
RS-232 Port for third-party controllers and new Denon 2-way Remote Control and RF/IR Base Station
RJ-45 Ethernet Port: Third-party controllers, Mac/PC audio streaming, Internet radio and Web browser function, enhanced for WMA Lossless/AAC-iTunes and album art
PC setup and control capability via Ethernet
Remote/off-site diagnosis, correction, update and upgrade compatible
3-source, 3-zone capability
D/A conversion for multi-zone outputs (Optical, Coaxial and PCM signal only)
Discrete Multi-zone Video Outputs with OSD for Meta-data from iPod/XM/HD
Radio/Ethernet streaming: Composite
Enhanced Power Amplifier assign for multi-zone or bi-amping: 9 modes
Compatible with optional RC-7000/7001CI IR/RF 2-way Remote/Base Station
Dimensions (W x H x D): 17.1 x 6.7 x 16.9
Weight: 35.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Just wanted to be the "first post"

-------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babel_Fish View Post

Just wanted to be the "first post"

LOL, thanks for your valuable contribution....
Are you going to get one of these beasts?
post #4 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Seems there's already an official thread for this and the 4308. Too many official threads being started. The website is getting harder and harder to keep track of posts and threads.

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #5 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Buckeyefan,
Are you the same guy from AudioHolics? just curious

amjustice,
I have been waiting 2 years for the new Denon 3808. Yes.. I am planning on getting it unless the 875 turns out to be a better deal but my hopes are on Denon at the moment.

-------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 01:40 PM

I'm also debating these two now. I would be interested to hear what people think. All the custom A/V places I have been to are recommending the Denon 3808
post #7 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 01:55 PM

"Analog to HDMI Video Conversion/Scaling: 480p/720p/1080i/1080p"

I assume this mean something like component or composite to HDMI scaling. How about scaling from HDMI to HDMI, say 480p to 1080p?

3808 vs 875 is going to be my choice and looks to be a tough one.
post #8 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjustice View Post

Ethernet connectivity, auto set-up, a new GUI and more
With an RJ-45 Ethernet port, the 3808CI makes it easier than ever to integrate you A/V system into your home network. Mac/PC audio streaming gives you access to Internet radio as well as all your digitized music, including MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless and now AAC-iTunes files! There are even USB ports (front and rear) with command and control functionality for portable music players, flash drives, and other devices. And of course the optional Denon dock lets you charge, control and distribute the music from your iPod.

Anyword on Video formats supported? I like the idea of the reciever as the center point for my system but if it can't do video I'm not sure what the point is.

I will buy a cheeper receiver and pick up a Netgear EVA800
post #9 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

I have been waiting on the 3808 for awhile now but, recently started to think that I should just go with the Denon 4306. It doesn't look like HDMI 1.3 is going to mean anything in the near future and by the time it does (probably a couple of years) and other than that the 4306 stacks up pretty well. Though I really do like the 4 HDMI inputs on the 3808.
post #10 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Love the curve face plate very aerodynamic ,anyone if this thing can do 60MPR in 3 secs

post #11 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Whats' up with the 2 remotes? Why 2?
post #12 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 03:22 PM

A second remote to control the zone 2 playback.
post #13 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Oh! Thanks.
post #14 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 04:25 PM

Liked: 11
From a video processing standpoint, I would think that the Onkyo 875 will have an advantage with its use of the HQV Reon chip vs. the Faroudja 2310 in the Denon 3808. Reports on the Onkyo 805 say there is no HDMI audio hum and that it can process an incoming 5.1 PCM audio track into 7.1, so the big hurdles seem to have been answered by Onkyo. I suppose it's possible that the 875 might have hum and not process 5.1 PCM, but that seems a bit unlikely to me given that its "little brother" the 805 is fine in these areas.

It'll be interesting to go through all the HDMI 1.3 receiver offerings once they're all out and really nit pick the little details on their features! Onkyo seems to have done an admirable job with their feature set and they've come to market first! But Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz, Sherwood Newcastle, Harman Kardon and I'm sure others as well will all have models out eventually. Quite a time to be buying really. I just hope I can make sense of it all!

Jon
post #15 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty4star View Post

I'm also debating these two now. I would be interested to hear what people think. All the custom A/V places I have been to are recommending the Denon 3808

Seems like everyone is on the same boat. One thing that's leaning me towards the Onkyo is the weight -- the Denon is only 35 lbs versus the full 50 of the Onkyo, not to mention the Ultra 2 certification and the better video processor. The 3808 feels much more like a competitor to the 805 and not the 875 and the 805 is far cheaper.

If it wasn't for the gorgeous new faceplate (compared to the relatively ugly Onkyo) and the Denon badge, the choice would be very obvious...
post #16 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso_Corsa View Post

Seems like everyone is on the same boat. One thing that's leaning me towards the Onkyo is the weight -- the Denon is only 35 lbs versus the full 50 of the Onkyo, not to mention the Ultra 2 certification and the better video processor. The 3808 feels much more like a competitor to the 805 and not the 875 and the 805 is far cheaper.

If it wasn't for the gorgeous new faceplate (compared to the relatively ugly Onkyo) and the Denon badge, the choice would be very obvious...

Yet the 875 does not have the ethernet/usb networking connectivity. A difficult choice, to say the least, at this point. I, for one, will await the reviews before making my purchase decision.
post #17 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

I think the ethernet stuff for internet radio and home networking doesn't need to be in the receiver, as there are tons of devices out there that will do this stuff already. The Reon video processing chip in the Onkyo 875 is what has ended up pulling me away from Denon. Hey..looks aren't everything...
post #18 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I feel that Denon might be dropping the ball going with the faroudja over the hqv at this price point. Seems to me like they are counting on their name to carry them against the Onkyo.
post #19 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 PM

I'm in love. I think I just found my new receiver. Release date in July?

Dan
post #20 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 08:43 PM

release date July.... buy-able in EARLY August
post #21 of 20258 Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
can you switch the rear surround to act as a biamp for the fronts?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #22 of 20258 Old 06-13-2007, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
dang looks like its almost time to sell my 2807 lol

post #23 of 20258 Old 06-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

As for the whole Faroudja vs Reon battle going on I think Denon might have gotten it right.

One, we still need to see both receivers in action before a final verdict can be made. For all any of us know Denon's Faroudja (possible new revision) solution might beat out Onkyo's Reon solution. I will admit on paper the Onkyo wins here.

Two, even if it isn't as good as Onkyo's Reon will it really matter? I know for some it is a very vital feature but I have a feeling that for most of us buying a receiver this expensive the scaling just doesn't matter at all. Most of us will be sending 1080 signals to our expensive HDTVs which even if the signal is 1080i (cable box) our TVs do a great job of deinterlacing. The only thing having a Reon chip in the receiver does is help scaling SD-DVD. Then again, most people spending this much on a receiver will also have a Denon Reon DVD player, Toshiba XA2, PS3, etc. that will render the chip in the receiver useless. Hense all of the posts about people asking if they can disabled the scaling on the receiver.

Now don't get me wrong... for the price I am disappointed that Denon didn't put a Reon chip in. From Denon's point of view I think they made the decision to save a little money on something a lot of buyers won't use.
post #24 of 20258 Old 06-13-2007, 07:29 AM

^ That is a very good point that i did not think of, (sighs) i feel better now, thank you

Carrying on the legacy of Len Tweten
post #25 of 20258 Old 06-13-2007, 07:37 AM

I can only imagine the arguments about how many of what port to include in something like this. I know I have my immediate reactions: no HDMI port on the front for HD camcorders or laptops? Only three optical inputs on the back? Do people really still need three coaxial inputs and two optical outputs or have those needs migrated to HDMI? Why haven't they cut the number of S-video, composite, and analog audio inputs and made them assignable like digital inputs?

... but they got it "right enough" for me to put in a pre-order at Magnolia. Seventy units scheduled to arrive at my local store in mid-July, which they said probably translated to late July since Denon is always late.
post #26 of 20258 Old 06-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

As for the whole Faroudja vs Reon battle going on I think Denon might have gotten it right.

One, we still need to see both receivers in action before a final verdict can be made. For all any of us know Denon's Faroudja (possible new revision) solution might beat out Onkyo's Reon solution. I will admit on paper the Onkyo wins here.

Two, even if it isn't as good as Onkyo's Reon will it really matter? I know for some it is a very vital feature but I have a feeling that for most of us buying a receiver this expensive the scaling just doesn't matter at all. Most of us will be sending 1080 signals to our expensive HDTVs which even if the signal is 1080i (cable box) our TVs do a great job of deinterlacing. The only thing having a Reon chip in the receiver does is help scaling SD-DVD. Then again, most people spending this much on a receiver will also have a Denon Reon DVD player, Toshiba XA2, PS3, etc. that will render the chip in the receiver useless. Hense all of the posts about people asking if they can disabled the scaling on the receiver.

Now don't get me wrong... for the price I am disappointed that Denon didn't put a Reon chip in. From Denon's point of view I think they made the decision to save a little money on something a lot of buyers won't use.

You make good points, but you know what happens when you assume...

Seriously though, I have a 1080p LCD, but I am quite certain its scaler is nowhere close to as good as the Reon. In addition, as I got my upscaling DVD player before they had 1080p versions (Denon 1910), it only does 1080i, so rather than buy yet another DVD player, I will pull out my old DVP-S7000 and allow the Reon chip in the receiver do my 480i -> 1080p conversion. Also, I can allow the receiver to scale my cable signals (and deinterlace for SD) to 108p as well.
post #27 of 20258 Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

I tend to agree and I think you make a lot of good points. For me a recievers killer app is sound and all indications I have read and heard was that Denon always brings it home when it comes to excellent sound. I would hate to make a decision based on a video chip and have my sound suffer.
post #28 of 20258 Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaPro2 View Post

release date July.... buy-able in EARLY August

Depending on where you buy it, ListenUp is saying Mid-July delivery.
post #29 of 20258 Old 06-13-2007, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

When is the 875 due out? Price? Also other then the video scaller difference what are some of the other major differences between this and the 3808? Links to a full spec sheet?
post #30 of 20258 Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjustice View Post

When is the 875 due out? Price? Also other then the video scaller difference what are some of the other major differences between this and the 3808? Links to a full spec sheet?

JandR is already taking pre-orders for the 875.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page