Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 261 Old 09-22-2007, 09:44 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because I'd like to be able to get Dolby TrueHD off the HDDVDs. I have the Toshiba HD-A2 which doesn't have analog outs, so the only why to get the new audio formats is over HDMI.

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS1977 View Post

JCG:

Why is it so important to you to get audio over hdmi?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 261 Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am getting back into audio after a few years. In about a week I will have an Arcam AVR280 powering Monitor Audio GS20 fronts with matching center and rears along with REL R305 sub. Pretty excited.

-Steve
post #93 of 261 Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 AM

Perhaps I'm stupid but I have after a long journey searching for a good setup ended up with a Arcam AVP700/P1000. I haven't received the combo yet but expect it to be awesome in my home.

Even though I could come out cheaper and more fancy I anyway go for this combo.

Some say it's a big difference between receivers and separates between highpriced and low priced items, others say it is not easy to hear any difference at all (if you shut your eyes and don't know the pricetag).

When I listened to a Arcam AVR350 and compared it with Marantz SR8001, the Arcam "won".

So not having scanned the complete market, and not adapted to the latest technology (HDMI 1.3 and videoprocessoes), I believe my choice will good enough for
many years to come.

BR Lars in Sweden
post #94 of 261 Old 10-18-2007, 03:04 PM

Hi guys.. i`m intersted in the arcam avr280 and avr350. I`ve seen the user`s manual online but i`m not sure if the AVR280/350 is capable of driving zone2 without an extra external amp. I know that the Surround Back L&R can be used to connect a speaker on zone 2 if the avr 280/350 is used in 5.1 mode. Am i correct?
post #95 of 261 Old 10-30-2007, 06:09 AM

Liked: 11
Can you AV9 owners comment on the BM implementation in the unit? In reading the manual, it appears that you can only set one crossover point for all the speakers. I'd also like to know if the multichannel analog input is pure pass through or if the bass management applies. It looks like the input has a useful DTS boost and separate DVD-A subwoofer control. How are those implemented? Thanks.

Bill
post #96 of 261 Old 10-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspaceman View Post

Hi guys.. i`m intersted in the arcam avr280 and avr350. I`ve seen the user`s manual online but i`m not sure if the AVR280/350 is capable of driving zone2 without an extra external amp. I know that the Surround Back L&R can be used to connect a speaker on zone 2 if the avr 280/350 is used in 5.1 mode. Am i correct?

Yes, channels 6 and 7 may be used in a 7.1 system, or as zone 2 amps in a 5.1 system, or as bi-amping channels for the fronts in a 5.1 system.
post #97 of 261 Old 11-05-2007, 01:16 PM

Is anyone using a Blu Ray or HDVD player with an Arcam 350 or 280? I'm looking for an HD DVD player with analog outs that plays well with the Arcam amp.

Joe
post #98 of 261 Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the Toshiba A35 for HD DVD and the Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD for Blu-Ray. I am very pleased with both players!
post #99 of 261 Old 11-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I have the Toshiba A35 for HD DVD and the Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD for Blu-Ray. I am very pleased with both players!

Interesting. Are you running one of them to your Arcam using the analog connections? Do you get good LFE? Can you access the HD Audio?

Joe
post #100 of 261 Old 11-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've had the Arcam 300 for almost 2 years, Excellent sound. Right now I have a Belcanto amp powering the L&R channels just for music, nothing wrong with the Arcam in that regard it is just that the Paradigms 100v3 are power hungry, and the Belcanto gave them all the power they needed.

The analog section is is clean and musical, It would be very hard to find a receiver that can take over as a pre-amp for music only, and get away with it.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #101 of 261 Old 11-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestitzlein View Post

Is anyone using a Blu Ray or HDVD player with an Arcam 350 or 280? I'm looking for an HD DVD player with analog outs that plays well with the Arcam amp.

Joe

I have the Arcam 300, not the 350 but I believe they are very similar sound wise. I do use the analog inputs to listen to true HD Dolby soundtracks coming out of my Toshiba AX2 and it sounds excellent. To be honest the Arcam sounds so good through its digital inputs that Dolby digital Plus is sometimes indistinguishable from that of the true-HD soundtrack.

post #102 of 261 Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 AM

Interesting. My problem with analog out from my Samsung BDP1200 into my Arcam 350 is that I can't get any decent LFE. The Arcam guys blamed it on the Samsung, it has no crossover controls or distance settings for the sub. I've just ordered a Toshiba HD-A35 and hope that it will deliver TrueHD Dolby with good LFE to my Arcam via analog. Anyone have experience with this?
post #103 of 261 Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestitzlein View Post

Interesting. My problem with analog out from my Samsung BDP1200 into my Arcam 350 is that I can't get any decent LFE. The Arcam guys blamed it on the Samsung, it has no crossover controls or distance settings for the sub. I've just ordered a Toshiba HD-A35 and hope that it will deliver TrueHD Dolby with good LFE to my Arcam via analog. Anyone have experience with this?

The problem is with the HDV players, not the receiver.

post #104 of 261 Old 12-03-2007, 07:59 PM

Just picked up an used AVR300 and the center channel level is *very* low -too low to correct. appears there is something wrong with it. I've switched speakers and it *is* the amp.

How would I reset it? Anything else to try?

If the center channel is out, I do want to have it repaired. Can someone direct me to repair on Los Angeles?

thanks
post #105 of 261 Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 PM

1) A bit out of sorts question, but I'm just building up my home theater, and I'm trying to figure out whether I should buy a stop-gap receiver with the latest features (onkyo sr-605) or just spend a bit more for a used AVR300 (I don't have a need for HDMI as my tv will have enough inputs for all my sources). I've always loved arcam stuff & now have a little bit of change in my pocket to be able to afford one.

I can spend up to $1500 if I really had to for a receiver if I thought the sound quality was worth the premium over just a $450 temporary solution until Arcam can put out a receiver/pre-pro with the latest hd codec support.

I'd like to upgrade the speakers eventually, but I love the old warm Kef sound paired with Arcams... It's not exactly audiophile, but I enjoy these guys a lot.

Kef q35 (LR)
Kef 100 (C)
Kef q15 (LRs)

Thanks for any input - glad to see arcam getting some support on here!
post #106 of 261 Old 12-09-2007, 12:07 PM

Hello All:

Came across this forum and I have to say it is absolutely phenomenal. There's an incredible depth of knowledge and expertise here that is very much appreciated.

I just spend a couple of hours demoing an AVR280 at a local shop. From a sound quality perspective I am absolutely impressed compared with some other models I've listened to. The actual unit he's suggesting is the AVR350 and is prepared to demo an AVR300 for me next Thursday if I so choose. He's stating that the 350 and 300 are identical in sound quality, it's just that the 350 includes support for pre-amping and some other doo-dads. If I'm not pre-amping, would you guys suggest that a 300 would be 'just as good'?

I ask because I have seen a few posts that suggest one can stick with an AVR 280 and be 'just as happy' with the sound quality.

My current setup is:
Paradigm Monitor 11's (v3) - Mains (bi-amp'd)
Paradigm CC370 (v3) - Centre
Paradigm Titans - Rears
Paradigm Reference Seismic 12 - Sub
Yamaha RX-V420 - Receiver (blah)

Co-incidentally, the shop had Paradigm 9's setup for the demonstration. My gut tells me (particularly in comparison to what I have and the Marantz I listened to), that the AVR280 brought the Paradigms to life. I've always felt that my Yamaha amp never brought out the full potential of my Monitor 11's.

Ultimately, the rep is suggesting the AVR350 and has given me (what I believe to be) a decent price on the unit - wouldn't mind a PM here to validate or invalidate this.

I have some concern around the fact that the unit has been out for a while and I suspect something new is around the corner that has more support for HDMI audio and newer audio standards. I also want to know if the unit will be upgradeable over time, or are these new technologies hardware-dependent and I'll be outpaced immediately. Thoughts here?

The devices I believe I'll ultimately have in my setup will be:
- X-Box (component and optical)
- X-Box Elite (has HDMI support)
- Some SACD / DVD player
* Note here that I understand I might 'back-up' my support of newer audio technologies by making sure that my player is "higher end" and will decode the formats so the amp won't have to - is this correct?
- HD PVR from Shaw Cable

I *think* I'll be covered with something like the AVR350 without compromising quality. I am concerned, however, that I'll be limited in room for expansion. Thoughts here?

Thanks very much for reading and providing any insight you might have. I've waited two years to get serious about upgrading the amp and hope this is the right "moment in time" to do so.

Regards,

Matt
post #107 of 261 Old 12-09-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The Arcam 350 is a very musical receiver. It is arguably the best sounding receiver out. However, it only has HDMI for video switching, no audio at all. If you have any desire to get into HD DVD or Blu-Ray with all the newest HDMI high resolution audio formats, you will not be able to achieve them. And I highly doubt Arcam will do any sort of upgrade, as it would require major internal work to do so.
Not to put you off in any way, but this is actually not a great time for doing serious upgrading. I an no way want to hinder you from getting whatever you want, but just be aware HDMI technology has changed very rapidly and currently only the Japanese brands have it implemented into their products. If you have waited 2 years, my suggestion would really be to read extensively on all the new products forthcoming and wait about 9 months from now. CES will have many debut products, and I think within a year there will be many more products available for you to choose from. Again, if you are ready to buy then go for it! But keep in mind you very well may be looking to make a change a year from now. Best of luck!
post #108 of 261 Old 12-09-2007, 01:43 PM

Hi. I just got the AVR350 and am ecstatic about it. For me, it was about upgrading my 2 channel sound quality since I added a Squeezebox to my system. I went from a seven year old Marantz SR7000 and the difference is really incredible. My Paradigm Studio 60s sound like new speakers!

I'm not in a rush to get into HD DVD/Bluray, so my choice was about the future vs. today. I chose the best sound quality for my budget today and couldn't be happier. For HT stuff, I'm amazed at how great the Arcam makes even crappy compressed audio over DirecTV sound.

If I could describe the difference, it's probably about a dramatic increase in soundstage, increase in quantity and quality of bass and mid-bass and overall clarity. I'm not much of a believer in breaking in electronics, but I must say that a slight brightness at the top end I heard when I first plugged it in has really smoothed out over the week that I've owned the Arcam.

So yeah, if you really need all the latest stuff, you should look elsewhere. But if it's great sound you're after, the AVR350 is the one.
post #109 of 261 Old 12-10-2007, 07:06 PM

rydenfan, I wondered if the timing was right. Between HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and HDMI, I don't want to get short-changed. I can't afford to spend a couple thousand now only to needing to invest another few thousand a year from now.
post #110 of 261 Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Arcam 350 is a very musical receiver. It is arguably the best sounding receiver out. However, it only has HDMI for video switching, no audio at all. If you have any desire to get into HD DVD or Blu-Ray with all the newest HDMI high resolution audio formats, you will not be able to achieve them. And I highly doubt Arcam will do any sort of upgrade, as it would require major internal work to do so.
Not to put you off in any way, but this is actually not a great time for doing serious upgrading. I an no way want to hinder you from getting whatever you want, but just be aware HDMI technology has changed very rapidly and currently only the Japanese brands have it implemented into their products. If you have waited 2 years, my suggestion would really be to read extensively on all the new products forthcoming and wait about 9 months from now. CES will have many debut products, and I think within a year there will be many more products available for you to choose from. Again, if you are ready to buy then go for it! But keep in mind you very well may be looking to make a change a year from now. Best of luck!

+1....Good post!

Russ
post #111 of 261 Old 12-11-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0paradigm0o View Post

rydenfan, I wondered if the timing was right. Between HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and HDMI, I don't want to get short-changed. I can't afford to spend a couple thousand now only to needing to invest another few thousand a year from now.

I am sorry, but I am not sure exactly what you are asking me. If you ask again I would be happy to try and help.
post #112 of 261 Old 12-11-2007, 01:24 PM

Well, my gut tells me that there is just so much change out there right now and I tend to agree with a few people here that I might be throwing my money away by not waiting to purchase something that will support these new formats.

I was wondering if my local shop had some "upgrade program".
post #113 of 261 Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0paradigm0o View Post

Well, my gut tells me that there is just so much change out there right now and I tend to agree with a few people here that I might be throwing my money away by not waiting to purchase something that will support these new formats.

I was wondering if my local shop had some "upgrade program".

That is something only your local dealer can answer. As far as if it is the right time or not see the detailed post I wrote you previously. Both HD DVD and Blu-Ray have very high quality players on the market, now we just need the Pre/Pros to decode them...
post #114 of 261 Old 12-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:

That is something only your local dealer can answer. As far as if it is the right time or not see the detailed post I wrote you previously. Both HD DVD and Blu-Ray have very high quality players on the market, now we just need the Pre/Pros to decode them...

Your right. I just replaced my Arcam FMJ AV9 with a Denon 4308CI. Frankly, I got tired of waiting for Arcam to offer a new pre/pro. By the way the sound quality of the 4308CI is fantastic.

ED
post #115 of 261 Old 12-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post

Your right. I just replaced my Arcam FMJ AV9 with a Denon 4308CI. Frankly, I got tired of waiting for Arcam to offer a new pre/pro. By the way the sound quality of the 4308CI is fantastic.

Fantastic on what? I cannot imagine a mass market Denon receiver outperforms an AV9 on CD or SACD. Are you using an amp with the Denon to drive the speakers?
post #116 of 261 Old 12-12-2007, 06:58 AM

I did not post to start an argument. Go have a listen for yourself. Lots of dealers here. No I did not use my amp on the Denon. I did bi-amp the FL and FR since I am not using the surround backs. My equipment before the change:

Pioneer Elite Pro-1120HDTV,
Arcam AV9,
Sunfire Cinema Grand AMP 400 ~ 7,
Toshiba HD-DVD HD-XA1,
Dali Euphonia Speakers( MS5,CS4,RS3) with Dynaudio 500 Sub(5.1),
Dish 622 HD DVR Sat box.
I am waiting to see the Samsung dual player threads and if that unit does not pan out, I will go for the Tosh A35 to take advantage of the HDMI 1.3.

ED
post #117 of 261 Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Citico, that is an impressive system! I run a full Helicon set-up; I can only imagine how much better the Euphonias sound. I am very interested in your comments. Do you find the Denon equal to the Arcam even in 2 channel? Or are you refering more to Home Theater?
May I ask why you are looking at the Samsung dual player? For the same price you could get the Toshiba A35(Amazon is selling them pretty low right now) and the Panasonic BD30. Then you would have two really quality stand alone players rather than a combo unit. I just feel like Samsung will have some growing pains with that player.
post #118 of 261 Old 12-12-2007, 01:24 PM

Hi rydenfan, I use my system primarily for HT. I do listen to some red labels. I used the preouts on the HD-DVD to the Arcam. With the third gen. HD-DVD players I will use the HDMI connection. Since we all know the Arcam is a HDMI switcher , the only comparision can be made on the audio side. Frankly, I can't tell any difference. I think I hear this and I think I hear that. Not the answer you were looking for but I refuse to embellish the quality of the audio because I own a piece of equipment. The 2nd gen. LG is not bad and the Samsung may be good also. I saw somewhere the price on the Samsung would be $799. Rack space is an issue with me. I got the Denon at Best Buy knowing I could return it in thirty days. Brought it home to try in my room with my speakers and I have no plans to take it back. BTW,I get down your way on occasion. Have a friend that has a condo on Long Boat Key.

ED
post #119 of 261 Old 12-12-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

You have a PM
post #120 of 261 Old 12-12-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post

Hi rydenfan, I use my system primarily for HT. I do listen to some red labels. I used the preouts on the HD-DVD to the Arcam. With the third gen. HD-DVD players I will use the HDMI connection. Since we all know the Arcam is a HDMI switcher , the only comparision can be made on the audio side. Frankly, I can't tell any difference. I think I hear this and I think I hear that. Not the answer you were looking for but I refuse to embellish the quality of the audio because I own a piece of equipment. The 2nd gen. LG is not bad and the Samsung may be good also. I saw somewhere the price on the Samsung would be $799. Rack space is an issue with me. I got the Denon at Best Buy knowing I could return it in thirty days. Brought it home to try in my room with my speakers and I have no plans to take it back. BTW,I get down your way on occasion. Have a friend that has a condo on Long Boat Key.

I have not found a prepro or receiver that compares to my AVP700's sound quality. I have also never owned or listened to a Denon that I liked. Maybe they have changed in the last two or three years and I should go to Magnolia and get one for trial also. I just might be surprised. I am wanting 1.3 HDMI and it seems as that may not b ein the near future with Arcam. What a shame.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page