Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 261 Old 12-13-2007, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 View Post

I have not found a prepro or receiver that compares to my AVP700's sound quality. I have also never owned or listened to a Denon that I liked. Maybe they have changed in the last two or three years and I should go to Magnolia and get one for trial also. I just might be surprised. I am wanting 1.3 HDMI and it seems as that may not b ein the near future with Arcam. What a shame.

I had the 700 and also found the audio quality to be very good. I used the XLR connections with my amp. I had to return it for repair and in the process upgraded with my dealer to the AV9. The Denon HDMI 1.3 connection is very nice and will be even better when I get the new HD-DVD or combo unit. The unit also overlays the OSD and Vol on the screen when using the HDMI connection. Having it in your own home with your speakers is a really good method of deciding for yourself. Since this is an Arcam thread, I guess we should leave it at that but I would say it will be sometime before the prepros in general catch up to the AVRs.

ED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 261 Old 12-13-2007, 06:06 PM

I just bought an AVR350 and really like it so far. Will the HDMI support SACD on this unit?
post #123 of 261 Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post

I just bought an AVR350 and really like it so far. Will the HDMI support SACD on this unit?

No. The HDMI is for video switching only, no audio.
post #124 of 261 Old 12-13-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

No. The HDMI is for video switching only, no audio.

thanks. funny, i had a hard time getting any of the optical inputs to work until i plugged something into the HDMI and then they started working for some reason the coaxial and analog inputs worked fine.

So if i do decide to use the HDMI switching, i'll still have to run digital audio separate?

I can use the 6 RCAs from the SACD player.
post #125 of 261 Old 12-14-2007, 09:13 AM

I've essentially made my decision not to buy an Arcam right now. I did, however, fall in love with the sound quality, but I fell out of love with the lack of support.

There's no reason why they can't build-in support even if it frustrates their British sensibilities around HDMI.

Good news is, I probably won't buy *anything* until I see something new from Arcam. The bad news is, I probably will end up having to pay a ton more money.
post #126 of 261 Old 12-24-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I replaced Pioneer Elite 92TXH with Arcam AVR280 with Toshiba XA2 connected via 5.1 analog inputs. The sound quality is way better than 92TXH(using HDMI) with better surround spread & ample bass from Arcam. Proves the point that its all about sound quality & not bells & whistles. Maybe there is a reason why some of the mid level to high end brands are not too hot about audio via HDMI at this time and are possibly looking for a proprietary solution. Now all I need is a dual format player with a good speaker setup menu.

Vinod
post #127 of 261 Old 12-24-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0paradigm0o View Post

I've essentially made my decision not to buy an Arcam right now. I did, however, fall in love with the sound quality, but I fell out of love with the lack of support.

There's no reason why they can't build-in support even if it frustrates their British sensibilities around HDMI.

Good news is, I probably won't buy *anything* until I see something new from Arcam. The bad news is, I probably will end up having to pay a ton more money.

I think that's the right move. Right now is kind of a period in flux. Personally, I'm sitting tight on my AV8 for it sound quality until Arcam introduces a new flagship possibly supporting the new formats. At that time, I'll also replace my 720p LCD and move into 1080p/hi-def surround in one fell swoop.
post #128 of 261 Old 12-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0paradigm0o View Post

I have a 3 year old AVR300 that needs replacing, but I won't buy anything that doesn't atleast support LPCM over HDMI. I am happy to wait 1-1.5 years for Arcam to deliver as I have yet to feel my setup SQ is in any way inferior to the latest and greatest from Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha/Marantz/Sony/HK.

I haven't even bothered to upgrade my 720p/1080i Panny plasma. That will happen with one of them (HD or BD) win lol....
post #129 of 261 Old 12-25-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post

I have a 3 year old AVR300 that needs replacing, but I won't buy anything that doesn't atleast support LPCM over HDMI. I am happy to wait 1-1.5 years for Arcam to deliver as I have yet to feel my setup SQ is in any way inferior to the latest and greatest from Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha/Marantz/Sony/HK.

I haven't even bothered to upgrade my 720p/1080i Panny plasma. That will happen with one of them (HD or BD) win lol....

Would be too bad if Arcam takes that long. Doubt I'd wait that long to upgrade. I'm figuring end of next year. I agree with you on the TV bit... I'd like to wait until all these friggin' formats get figured out and make sure I have the right gear to at least get some value out of my investment.
post #130 of 261 Old 01-25-2008, 09:21 AM

I have an AVR300 matched with NHT classic 4 speakers. Im impressed with the way the upper frequencies sound but a little disappointed with the bass and midbass, especially in direct mode. I hooked up my older Harman Kardon receiver and it sounded a bit fuller and more solid in the lower frequencies. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to make the sound from my Arcam sound richer and fuller? Im a newbie to the higher end world so please be kind.
post #131 of 261 Old 02-21-2008, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Does Arcam have a receiver out that will decode the new HD sound formats? Will they be coming out with one?
post #132 of 261 Old 02-29-2008, 07:46 PM

My AVR350 will not output to Sub from any input analog or digital.

It does work fine when I run the just no output other than that.

It has 3.39 Firmware, only one newer version it looks like, and no sub fixes.

I didn't change anything that I can think of. Anything to try before I take it in for repair?
post #133 of 261 Old 03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

This 'Arcam' thread seems to be slowing down. I hope mingus got his 'sub out' problem fixed. Be interested to know how.

There is a plethora of Arcam info here along with firmware updates. FWIW

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119
post #134 of 261 Old 03-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Well, I got it to work using the digital out from the Arcam CD Player. SACD has been tough - going to mess with it again in a day or two.

Is there an easy way to toggle between the Analog CD Input and Digital?
post #135 of 261 Old 03-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I upgraded the software on my AVP-700 to the latest - 3.48, in order to watch my Blu-Ray video through HDMI and listen to the audio output through the MCH (DVD-A) 7.1 analog cables.

I have been trying to get this to work for around i dunno, six months. I'm glad it works now. Most people would have trouble getting this to work...

I hope Arcam is able to achieve high-quality audio over HDMI. And also update the processors to bitstream the new lossless codecs.

It would be ironic if they engineer a high quality Blu-Ray player but do not update their processors to be able to process the new audio codecs!
post #136 of 261 Old 03-13-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris13 View Post

I previously owned an AVR300, which was a fantastic piece. I'm strongly considering picking up a processor/amp combo from them once they release something that supports the new audio formats on Blu-Ray.

I have a great retailer who loves Arkam and I'm sure I could get good deal. I would love to have one when TRUEHD and the like becomes available.

Soon?
post #137 of 261 Old 03-13-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt5282 View Post

I upgraded the software on my AVP-700 to the latest - 3.48, in order to watch my Blu-Ray video through HDMI and listen to the audio output through the MCH (DVD-A) 7.1 analog cables.

I have been trying to get this to work for around i dunno, six months. I'm glad it works now. Most people would have trouble getting this to work...

I hope Arcam is able to achieve high-quality audio over HDMI. And also update the processors to bitstream the new lossless codecs.

It would be ironic if they engineer a high quality Blu-Ray player but do not update their processors to be able to process the new audio codecs!

Did you do the upgrade yourself or have it done? I'll need the latest firmware at some point for the same thing.
post #138 of 261 Old 03-13-2008, 06:35 PM

I upgraded it myself. I tried about six months ago, and gave up. A month ago I called my dealer and mentioned I wanted to upgrade my AVP700 - he said he would call me back the next day - but of course never called me back (still hasn't in fact).

The british AV Arcam forum mentioned above has the firmware - you need a windows PC running 98/2000/XP/Vista 32bit and a PC with DB9 serial port, and a null modem cable + the SW for the firmware. I got the SW upgraded but never succeeded in upgrading the DSP (apparently not needed).
post #139 of 261 Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornillo View Post

I have a great retailer who loves Arkam and I'm sure I could get good deal. I would love to have one when TRUEHD and the like becomes available.

Soon?

TrueHD has been around a while now. I am able to process it with my HD DVD player and output into 5.1 analog on my Arcam. Sounds great!
But I still plan to do the firmware mode so I can route the audio via HDMI.
This should still support players that do decode TrueHD, etc.

Will not help if you have Blue Ray, although I thought their latest models did on-board decoding. Since 'winning' it seems they are lazy now about doing anything Toshiba already did earlier, But considering the amount of customers enthusiastc about HD players, I guess not many care anyway.

As far as decoding in the Arcam, I am sure that will take a chip change.
post #140 of 261 Old 03-17-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

TrueHD has been around a while now. I am able to process it with my HD DVD player and output into 5.1 analog on my Arcam. Sounds great!
As far as decoding in the Arcam, I am sure that will take a chip change.

My dealer says the Arcam AVR280 & my Panny BD30 will sound better via digital coax, than TRUEHD/HDMI and let's say the Onkyo 705.

He is being very genuine when he tells me that and he's dangling the deal of a lifetime on the Arcam.

Ok, Arcam fans....is that what YOU think as well?
post #141 of 261 Old 03-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My dealer says the Arcam AVR280 & my Panny BD30 will sound better via digital coax, than TRUEHD/HDMI and let's say the Onkyo 705.

He is being very genuine when he tells me that and he's dangling the deal of a lifetime on the Arcam.

Ok, Arcam fans....is that what YOU think as well?

Heck no! He is just a dealer that wants to keep a customer while having no product to sell that meets your needs. Digital coax on the Arcam is GROSSLY inferior to lossless codecs on ANY receiver. No doubt the Arcam will sound better when they are able to process HDMI audio, but that will a year or more down the road.
post #142 of 261 Old 03-17-2008, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8 View Post

Heck no! He is just a dealer that wants to keep a customer while having no product to sell that meets your needs. Digital coax on the Arcam is GROSSLY inferior to lossless codecs on ANY receiver. No doubt the Arcam will sound better when they are able to process HDMI audio, but that will a year or more down the road.

But the Arcam IS able to 'pass' lossless audio with analog 5.1 and HDMI ( with the latest firmware update ) as long as it is decoded in the source player.
In the case of the Panasonic player, you will have to wait or settle for a different receiver.
I can tell you, through my AVR350 lossless audio is excellent!
post #143 of 261 Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 PM

I started checking BR releases for TRUEHD and there are fewer of them than I though. Since the Arcam IS able through lossless audio......

I don't know....I might hate myself, later.if I let this slip away.....
post #144 of 261 Old 03-17-2008, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I started checking BR releases for TRUEHD and there are fewer of them than I though. Since the Arcam IS able through lossless audio......

I don't know....I might hate myself, later.if I let this slip away.....

Are not the later BR models doing on-board decoding? Think I'd rather switch players than the Arcam, unless you are looking for a receiver upgrade anyway.
post #145 of 261 Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi videoaddikt! Are you saying that Arcam receivers are now able to accept Dolby TrueHD in MPCM format via HDMI? I thought it was able to only do that via multichannel inputs.

Vinod
post #146 of 261 Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Hi videoaddikt! Are you saying that Arcam receivers are now able to accept Dolby TrueHD in MPCM format via HDMI? I thought it was able to only do that via multichannel inputs.

That's my understanding, with the latest mod. If anyone knows differently, please let me know. I plan to update my firmware next week.
Keep in mind, this only allows you to pass decoded TrueHD through HDMI audio.

"Software 3.39 to 3.48
1. Additional RS232 Commands added.
2. MCH input now assignable to HDMI Input
3. Zone 2 Volume Bug Fixed."
post #147 of 261 Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 AM

that just allows you video out thru HDMI while using the MCH.
post #148 of 261 Old 03-18-2008, 10:36 AM

yes, that firmware upgrade only allows you to assign an HDMI input as video while listening to the MCH (or DVDA on the front panel) analog inputs. I have that running now.

Before that firmware upgrade I was forced to watch Blu-Ray through component, which bugged me because my player would only upconvert SD DVDs to 480p not 1080i which my TV supports.

Now I can watch everything (BD and SD DVD) on 1080i and listen to all soundtracks through the MCH on the Arcam.

Note: my BD player is an older Pana which has 7.1 analog outs and decodes TrueHD internally. It doesn't decode the other DTS lossless format.
post #149 of 261 Old 03-18-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt5282 View Post

Note: my BD player is an older Pana which has 7.1 analog outs and decodes TrueHD internally. It doesn't decode the other DTS lossless format.

Hmm. interesting. Having been only the HD DVD side of things all these months, I was not aware of the capability of different BD players. It would seem there are some variations. I hope they intend to have players with on-board decoding for everything. I would consider one when prices drop more.
post #150 of 261 Old 03-18-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Guys! How do I obtain the firmware?
Thanks,

Vinod
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version