Arcam Owners Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 261 Old 10-03-2009, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an AVR300 that has frozen and will not respond to the remote control. It also will not respond when I try to change the input using the buttons on the face. I unplugged it overnight and it did not reset. Is there something I can do to reset it before I send it to be repaired?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 261 Old 10-26-2009, 06:58 AM

I had the exact same thing happen to my 350. I had to send it in for repair but it didn't take. It came back worse than before. The repair center in Nebraska had no idea what was wrong. Arcam replaced it. Arcam receivers run hot so I run my new one in an open rack.
post #243 of 261 Old 04-28-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi all-
I'm actually a long time Arcam AVR100 owner (since 2001!), but I only just now got around to adding a subwoofer to my system. However, I can't seem to get it working via the pre-am subwoofer (LFE?) output.

Do you any of you still have an older Arcam AVR with a powered sub that can help me out? It seems to work via the LR per-amp outs to the LR ins on the sub (DA Supercube III). However, when I try to use a single RCA from the sub pre-amp out on my AVR100 to the LFE input on the Supercube, I get nothing... Thanks in advance for any help!
post #244 of 261 Old 06-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have a problem setting up an Arcam 350 receiver in my system, preferably using the preamp outs connected to my power amps. The video seems to work (now connected to receive Dish satellite via HDMI), but I get no sound. Is there a setting or switch that has to be adjusted to get audio from the preamp sections rather than the power amps? (This unit was lent to me for use while my other unit, an NAD 175, is repaired, and I don't have an owners manual, and can't get the online manual to download.) I can try hooking up the Arcam speaker outs directly to my speakers, but that's somewhat of a hassle.

Thanks,
Jim Cate
post #245 of 261 Old 03-12-2011, 05:30 AM

Has anyone had their Arcam volume knob fail?

My Arcam AV 300 (purchased as a return/refurbish unit and out of warranty) no longer responds to turning the volume knob. Volume can be adjusted via the remote just fine. Turning the knob started to flicker and change the volume by a couple of Dbs for fast and many turns. Now it doesn't even do that.

I know I'll likely need to send it in for repair, but I thought I'd see if anyone has experienced this and what they did. My dealer also couldn't give me a price to fix estimate.

TIA!
-jason
post #246 of 261 Old 03-25-2011, 08:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerj View Post

Has anyone had their Arcam volume knob fail?

My Arcam AV 300 (purchased as a return/refurbish unit and out of warranty) no longer responds to turning the volume knob. Volume can be adjusted via the remote just fine. Turning the knob started to flicker and change the volume by a couple of Dbs for fast and many turns. Now it doesn't even do that.

I know I'll likely need to send it in for repair, but I thought I'd see if anyone has experienced this and what they did. My dealer also couldn't give me a price to fix estimate.

TIA!
-jason

This is uncanny, I just googled all over looking for this issue and went through this entire string...
My avr300 just did the same thing, everything works fine except the volume knob doesn't change the volume unless you turn it the exact right rpm. Too fast or too slow and the number looks like it's changing quickly but it doesn't change the volume much if at all, and when you stop the number is withing 1-2 of what it was at the start. It's kind of like spinning tires on ice.
The remote works fine for me too, and I have no other issues.
On another note, I put a Bryston 3B-ST n the main channels and got a great increas in detali and clarity. I'll be getting an older 3B for the center as I saw a nice improvement when I hooked the 3bst there to try it. Of course those are fairly expensive separates and should sound better but I wanted to point out what great pre-amp the 300 has.
I upgraded from an arcam avr200 to the 300 and it was a HUGE improvement even before adding amps.
My speakers are
PSB stratus Gold (original, bought them new in 1990 IIRC)
PSB c6i center - much newer but mathces very nicely
paradigm adp370 surrounds
Hsu vt-3 sub

BTW have you tried turning the knob slower to see if it works? I seldom use the knob so I dont know how long it's been screwed up. It doesn't really bother me too much except resale or espectially worrying that something else will go.

Oppo BDP-95
Bryston 3B-ST 2ch on mains
Lexicon 512 5ch
PSB Stratus Gold mains
PSB C6i center
Rythmik FV15HP
Paradigm ADP-370 surrounds
cheap energy rear speakers
post #247 of 261 Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 AM

I was using speaker outputs for zone 2 to send audio to some ceiling mOunted speakers on my main floor.

They just stopped working one day.

So I figure I may have list the configuration when we had a power outage.

So I go into the extended setup menu and under speaker sizes, I cannot set any speakers at all for surround back left/right.

I've tested the zone 2 speakers by plugging them into the front speaker outputs and they work fine. I've also tried plugging my fronts into the sure B L/R outputs and no sound comes out.

How do I turn on the surround back left/right speakers in setup?

When I highlight that option in the menu and hit left or right on the remote it wont't change from the 'none' option.

I'm pretty sure I need to set these to something to get sound to zone 2.

Thanks!

Don.
post #248 of 261 Old 10-04-2011, 04:16 PM

Liked: 11
I seem to be bumping this thread from the grave, but had to ask this question and thought it's better than a new thread.

I have a 42" panasonic plasma TV, and an OPPO BDP-83. I use Orb Audio speakers, currently just with a front channel setup but I'm moving into a new place and hoping to go surround!

I recently found a used Arcam AVR280 for $700CDN. I'm wondering how it stacks up against the newest budget <$500 players? Will it last me a long time? I purchased the Oppo because I thought it's high enough quality that I'll never need another - until a new format better than BD arrives. It has a separate analog out for each channel if I want it, and optical outs as well. It decodes most of the necessary codecs, and also has the best upscaling on the market... so the receiver is just acting as a conduit for sound, no frilly bits required.

So, would this be a good receiver for my needs, or am I better going with something more modern? I'm not really aware of the nuances of the modern home theater, and the specific downfalls this unit might have.

Thanks!
post #249 of 261 Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 PM

Hello. I recently got divorced and when I got my Arcam CD9 out of storage it was totally dead. Does anyone know if there is a user replaceable fuse in there? Any help would be appreciated. THANKS, Ray
post #250 of 261 Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 PM

Arcam AVR350 pairing.

Looking at:
PBS Synchrony 1
Paradigm Studio 60 or maybe S6
Monitor Gold GX 200

Thoughts on these pairings? Other ideas in the sub $5k range per pair?
post #251 of 261 Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 AM

I need to find the Mfgr codes for the 300. My cable supplier is ATT U Verse and I would like to be able to control my volume using the ATT remote, but I need the codes to do so. I tried the auto search method but had no results. I can control the volume by my harmony universal remote that I programmed from the ARCAM remote, but I would like to be able to use the ATT remote.
Certainly would apprecioate any help.

Thanks
post #252 of 261 Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Hello All,

I just picked up an AVR360 and had a question. When using the internal test tones, I calibrated everything to 75db but the sub is soooo low. I redid the calibration with the sub at 85db and now it sounds right. Are the sub tones 10db hot. I know I had this issue with my Rotel piece and this is what Rotel told me to do. I can't call Arcam for any advise as I can't find there #. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #253 of 261 Old 08-26-2012, 11:46 AM

I'm wondering if it's possible to use an avr as the power amp with an external processor.

I have an AVR 350 and am interested in an upgrade path to an Integra processor with an external multi channel amp (maybe parasound, simaudio or theta). Do I have to buy the power amp first and use the 350 as the pre or can I somehow use the multi channel ins of the 350?

Thanks!
post #254 of 261 Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 AM

I am now also getting sound break up when going either dolby 5.1 or DTS. When I play Stereo PCM music files they sound great......any help? I have an AVR350
post #255 of 261 Old 01-23-2013, 06:08 PM

Liked: 17
In a report from the 2013 CES: Arcam is working on the successor (no release date) to the AVR600.

Has anybody heard anything more?
post #256 of 261 Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 AM

I know this is an old thread. I have an AVR 200 and I was going to buy some ised Stratus Golds. Did the Arcam avr-200 drive them okay? I hear that they are really power hungry.

Cheers,

Drew from Toronto
post #257 of 261 Old 08-01-2013, 12:56 PM

You are better off in my opinion, driving them with an arcam a38 integrated and buy a receiver to connect to the ht bypass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #258 of 261 Old 08-01-2013, 01:10 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I have an Arcam Avr 200 with PSB 4T's in the front a matching center and PSB alphas in the rear. I was looking to upgrade for 4T's with something from PSB to keep it in the family. The Stratus Gold's are legendary and can be bought used for under $1000. They are always fairly common to find, as they were made for almost 20 years. I rather not upgrade my amp at this stage as I was trying to spend under a $1000. Would the Avr 200 be really under powered?
post #259 of 261 Old 08-03-2013, 02:30 AM

I'm a huge PSB fan. I've owned the Stratus Series. Currently using a pair of Synchrony One's.

The original PSB Stratus Gold's (not Gold i), had very pronounced bass. So much, that if underpowered, it sounded floppy and boomy.
That would be my only concern. I've heard the Gold's with Bryston, Rotel, NAD and Yamaha power. Bryston had the most control of the bass.

The Arcam pairs nicely otherwise with the speakers. The metal dome French tweeter is a decent match with the warm tones of the Arcam.
post #260 of 261 Old 03-16-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
What's the thought on the A-19 Integrated stereo amp? It's only 50 watts / channel but I gather it is high current and is a solid 50. Is the A38 going to be upgraded soon to an A39?

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #261 of 261 Old 06-22-2014, 08:15 AM

arcam 350

i am using an arcam avr 350 just for music . would an arcam 9 amp give better results? speakers are linn majik109s

Last edited by ursus999; 06-22-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page