post #301 of 4988 Old 12-26-2007, 10:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

Unless you bi-amped your front LR speakers, in which case you could have 300 watts going to them (150 per speaker half). [Presuming you can configure it that way.]

Bi-amping is not the same thing as actually having a 300wpc amp powering them, and will not give you the same benefits or results that 300wpc would.

Also bi-amping is somewhat speaker dependent on what kind of benefits you may gain from doing it, as it works better with some speakers than it does with others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 4988 Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

Unless you bi-amped your front LR speakers, in which case you could have 300 watts going to them (150 per speaker half). [Presuming you can configure it that way.] I run all 5 of my speakers this way from the 5805.

The manual says the following:-
Front:
150W + 150W (8ohms)
Center:
150W (8ohms)
Surround (A + B):
150W + 150W (8ohms)
Surround Back:
150W + 150W (8ohms)

So does that mean I am only getting 75w to each of the front speakers - surely I would get 150w to each of the fronts? Sorry if this is a silly question but I am realy confused by all of this at the moment.

Thanks

Chris
post #303 of 4988 Old 12-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Bi-amping is not the same thing as actually having a 300wpc amp powering them, and will not give you the same benefits or results that 300wpc would.

Also bi-amping is somewhat speaker dependent on what kind of benefits you may gain from doing it, as it works better with some speakers than it does with others.

Indeed.
post #304 of 4988 Old 12-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Is it just me or is anyone else dissapointed this "Top of the Line" reciever does not come with the lates THX PLUS processesing. The Yamaha has it... I have been desperatly waiting for a Marantz replacement to my SR-9300. Usually the top of the range Denon has the same features as the Top Marantz.
post #305 of 4988 Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horta View Post

Is it just me or is anyone else dissapointed this "Top of the Line" reciever does not come with the lates THX PLUS processesing. The Yamaha has it... I have been desperatly waiting for a Marantz replacement to my SR-9300. Usually the top of the range Denon has the same features as the Top Marantz.

What is THX PLUS processing? And what does it add to THX ULTRA2?
Personally I've never been a fan of THX processing but I do like the THX certification concerning a receivers internal amps, etc....

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #306 of 4988 Old 12-27-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

What is THX PLUS processing? And what does it add to THX ULTRA2?
Personally I've never been a fan of THX processing but I do like the THX certification concerning a receivers internal amps, etc....

dc

DC.. I don't think you'll be a big fan of this either

Sounds like all it adds is a proprietary DRC...

THX Ultra2 Plus
THX Ultra2 Plus is the ultimate benchmark for audio performance in the home. THX Ultra2 Plus certification is reserved for receivers that have the power to deliver sound to a wide viewing area in large home theaters and media rooms. The recommended room size for THX Ultra2 Plus Certified AV receivers is 3,000 cubic feet or larger, with a minimum 12-foot viewing distance from the video display to the primary seating positions. THX Ultra2 Plus Certified receivers include a number of proprietary THX technologies, including THX Surround EX and THX Loudness Plus. Each technology is designed to compensate for the acoustical errors that occur when movies, music and games are translated from the professional studio to the home environment.

And from the THX press release:
Quote:

THX Ltd. today introduced THX Loudness Plus™, a new volume control technology used to maintain the integrity of audio content when listening at lower volume levels. THX Loudness Plus™ will be featured in THX Ultra2 Plus™ and THX Select2 Plus™ Certified pre-amps, integrated systems and receivers. Yamaha will be the first consumer electronics manufacturer to incorporate THX Loudness Plus and THX Ultra2 Plus certification with its flagship AVR RX-Z11.

Surround soundtracks for movies are often mixed in studios at a Reference Level for playback in movie theaters. This level provides filmmakers and sound designers a standard for mixing sound effects, dialogue and the musical score, and helps them understand how the soundtrack will be experienced by the movie-going audience. But, the Reference Level is often too loud for playback in residential homes, forcing many consumers to listen at lower volume. At these lower levels, bass sounds, surround effects and ambient sounds, which are often used by filmmakers and game developers to create a specific mood, can be lost when delivered to the end-user.

"Most consumers don't have listening environments where they can consistently play movies and games at Reference Level, so they are often required to listen at lower volume levels," said Warren Mansfield, director of consumer technology at THX. "With THX Loudness Plus, home theater enthusiasts have the option of cranking the sound, or turning the volume down and still hearing the ambient detail in movies, video games or music soundtracks just like they were mixed in the studio."

THX Loudness Plus incorporates two new proprietary THX Technologies. As the user changes the volume, THX Multi-channel Spectral Balancing™ and THX Dynamic Ambience Preservation™ automatically adjust the frequency response and ambient sound levels to compensate for the lower volume. This delivers a more accurate and dynamic listening experience regardless of volume level.

THX Multi-channel Spectral Balancing: Adjusts frequency response to counter the perceptual loss of low and high frequency sound in all channels. Begins with a flat response at Reference Level, and continually adjusts the response as the user selects lower listening levels. The equalization is applied to all channels in a multi-channel listening environment.
THX Dynamic Ambience Preservation: Surround channel processing preserves the spatial detail that is lost when listening below Reference Level. It automatically shapes the output on surround channels to maintain the perceived balance in the original mix.
NOTE: The THX Reference Level on all THX Certified products is the same level used by sound engineers in the professional recording studio. On the Yamaha AVR RX-Z11, the THX Reference Level is represented by "0 db" on the volume dial.

post #307 of 4988 Old 12-27-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:

THX Ltd. today introduced THX Loudness Plus

Yanno, George needs to slap the crew that came up with that name. "Loudness?" How pedestian. No self respecting HT-phile would say things like, "My system is really loud" or "I need to turn up the loudness" or "It only cost an extra $1000 to hear stuff like it's loud all the time". I mean look at the audio formats out there, THX, THX-EX, DTS, DTS-ES, THX-HD, DTS-MA, ad nauseum, so "Loudness Plus"?

I therefore humbly submit for Steven's use, since George has already committed, DTS-AC©. The AC stands for Attenuation Compensation. Now THAT's a term that you can use to really impress your friends and salespeople can use to up the snob appeal.

So George and Steven, invest in someone who has spent their life using and creating acronyms. Someone who was say, in the military like me. I'm retired and available. You don't even have to pay me money, just give me movie props. I can sell them on eBay and make a killing and the sweet part is that it's all money under the table, but I digress.

DTS-AC©, you saw the future here first folks. I'm now going to climb back into my ivory tower... that STILL doesn't have its 5308.
post #308 of 4988 Old 12-27-2007, 03:52 PM

Even though it is not listed on the web page, I had an online chat and that is the date, so tomorrow. I placed my order today!
post #309 of 4988 Old 12-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

DC.. I don't think you'll be a big fan of this either

Sounds like all it adds is a proprietary DRC...

THX Ultra2 Plus
THX Ultra2 Plus is the ultimate benchmark for audio performance in the home. THX Ultra2 Plus certification is reserved for receivers that have the power to deliver sound to a wide viewing area in large home theaters and media rooms. The recommended room size for THX Ultra2 Plus Certified AV receivers is 3,000 cubic feet or larger, with a minimum 12-foot viewing distance from the video display to the primary seating positions. THX Ultra2 Plus Certified receivers include a number of proprietary THX technologies, including THX Surround EX and THX Loudness Plus. Each technology is designed to compensate for the acoustical errors that occur when movies, music and games are translated from the professional studio to the home environment.

And from the THX press release:

Ok so some of you know what THX Loudness Plus is, but why isnt anyone complaining why it's not included..? Yes the name is crud but the idea of what it does sounds great. So great that even Audyssey has now their own version, but again this "top of the line" Dennon does not have that either....

Jerry
post #310 of 4988 Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok so some of you know what THX Loudness Plus is, but why isnt anyone complaining why it's not included..? Yes the name is crud but the idea of what it does sounds great.
Jerry

Jerry... Looking at Denon's past product introductions and their usual inclusion of the latest, greatest tech, I would suspect that this unit has been in the planning stages for a longer time than needed for these kind of design changes... these aren't just plug and play options... the press release I quoted was from 08/07...

Quote:

So great that even Audyssey has now their own version, but again this "top of the line" Dennon does not have that either....

Actually, the 5308, 4308 and 3808 have Audyssey Dynamic EQ.
post #311 of 4988 Old 12-28-2007, 08:00 AM

I know that the former is the pre-amp for the pre/pro system, but what is the difference between the two models? In the UK the cost difference is £1000.00 between the two but I cant see any physical or spec difference. Surely you could use the AVC-A1HD as the Pre-amp and save £1K?

Chris
post #312 of 4988 Old 12-28-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Ok so some of you know what THX Loudness Plus is, but why isnt anyone complaining why it's not included..? Yes the name is crud but the idea of what it does sounds great. So great that even Audyssey has now their own version, but again this "top of the line" Dennon does not have that either....

Jerry

I can only say it is a feature which actually works on the Z11 and very appreciated. I am returning the Z11 but I will miss that feature.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #313 of 4988 Old 12-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Actually, the 5308, 4308 and 3808 have Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Wow ok I guess I missed that when reading the manual. So then it does have it but just on the Audyssey side. Should I assume that you don;t need both THX Plus and Dynamic EQ to get the benifits? I would think you could not use both at the same time.

Now the question is when in THX Ultra2 mode (I use it 99% of the time) does Dynamic EQ still function?

Thank you for the information. This receiver is now on the top of my list if the Marantz does not come out soon or it just priced out of my range.

Jerry
post #314 of 4988 Old 12-28-2007, 01:59 PM

Received update from Crutchfield this afternoon that the ETA has changed from today to unknown
post #315 of 4988 Old 12-28-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

I can only say it is a feature which actually works on the Z11 and very appreciated. I am returning the Z11 but I will miss that feature.

If you don't mind me asking why are you returning the Z11?

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #316 of 4988 Old 12-28-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If you don't mind me asking why are you returning the Z11?

dc

DC,

No to derail a Denon thread, discussion over on the http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post12576090 thread tells it. Also the Secrets picking Qdeo as tech of the year being in the SC-09TX tilts me to Pio which I had 4 gens before the Anthem (and briefly the Z11). I was hoping for more on the Denon 5308 with the video (but who knows it could be great and updates may give more granular control). Ultimately I'm more of a videophile than an audiophile but the 11.2 setup is sweet on the Yammie.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #317 of 4988 Old 12-29-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandali View Post

Received update from Crutchfield this afternoon that the ETA has changed from today to unknown

me too, and i got the same thing from j&r
post #318 of 4988 Old 12-29-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drick View Post

me too, and i got the same thing from j&r

As I posted a page or two back... when I inquired with Denon about placing an accommodation order directly with them, my contact said the 5308 wouldn't ship "until January"..

I think they would be the most reliable source of information on ship dates
post #319 of 4988 Old 12-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The dealer I pre-ordered my 5308ci from told me to expect it mid-January.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #320 of 4988 Old 12-30-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Jerry

THX Loudness Plus is of course different from Ultra 2 Plus. From CEpro:
Quote:

08.07.2007 THX has introduced THX Loudness Plus, a volume control technology featured in THX Ultra2 Plus and THX Select2 Plus certified pre-amplifiers.

Loudness Plus is designed to maintain the impact and integrity of audio content when users are listening at lower volume settings.

Because most movie soundtracks are mixed at Reference Level for playback in a commercial theater, consumers end up missing out on some low-frequency information and subtle surround effects when playing them quieter at home.

Most consumers don't have listening environments where they can consistently play movies and games at Reference Level, says Warren Mansfield, director of consumer technology at THX. With THX Loudness Plus, home theater enthusiasts have the option of cranking the sound or turning the volume down and still hearing the ambient detail in movies, video games or music soundtracks just like they were mixed in the studio.

The first product to incorporate this new processing is the newly announced THX Ultra2 Plus certified Yamaha AVR RX-Z11 flagship A/V receiver.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #321 of 4988 Old 12-30-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

The dealer I pre-ordered my 5308ci from told me to expect it mid-January.

I'm not seeing it on ABT, Crutchfield or typical sources.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #322 of 4988 Old 12-30-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

I'm not seeing it on ABT, Crutchfield or typical sources.

My source for the 5803ci said he expected to have his hands on one the first week of January
We will see...........

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #323 of 4988 Old 12-31-2007, 09:59 AM

I noticed that on the Z11, there is a nice feature that allows the HDMI to pass-through the receiver to the monitor even when the power is off (unit is in standby). The monitor ends up getting both the audio and video.

From the 5308ci manual, I cannot tell if this is possible. From the Z11 manual and posts in other threads, this seems possible on the Yamaha.

I like this feature because I dont want to turn on my Receiver just to watch the TV and I dont want to run a second pair of cables from my SAT box to the TV.

Any comments? Do any other receivers do this?
post #324 of 4988 Old 12-31-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace99 View Post

I noticed that on the Z11, there is a nice feature that allows the HDMI to pass-through the receiver to the monitor even when the power is off (unit is in standby). The monitor ends up getting both the audio and video.

From the 5308ci manual, I cannot tell if this is possible. From the Z11 manual and posts in other threads, this seems possible on the Yamaha.

I like this feature because I dont want to turn on my Receiver just to watch the TV and I dont want to run a second pair of cables from my SAT box to the TV.

Any comments? Do any other receivers do this?

I have a Z11 and that doesn't work for me, nor I think any receiver. You can always run an HD Tivo for instance both HDMI to a receiver and component /optical to a TV (I would actually recommend the opposite, HDMI to TV and component/optical to receiver to decrease handshake issues) and then watch w/o the receiver.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #325 of 4988 Old 12-31-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

My source for the 5803ci said he expected to have his hands on one the first week of January
We will see...........

dc

You are in a "special situation" but on line I only see it up on ListenUp for authorized online sellers.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #326 of 4988 Old 01-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I ordered mine from a custom installer ( not local but the closest Denon dealer to my location that I've done business with before ) that has been a Denon dealer for over 30 years. I wonder if these long-time dealers get special treatment.

There are a few places that are taking pre-orders for the 5308ci online but a Reseller Ratings search produces a lot of negative store reviews. Their prices are right around $4400 but I got a better deal from the authorized dealer.

I guess we'll see. I've already paid for the unit and they will ship it when they get it. I could visit their store and pick it up but it is a 240 mile round-trip.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #327 of 4988 Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 AM

The 5308 is now being launched by Denon at the end of Feb in the UK at this show:-

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk

and will be available in the UK to buy from March 08

I am not sure if this has any implications on the US market.

Cheers

Chris
post #328 of 4988 Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 AM

I got an update "it was expected to ship in January but I think more likely early February."

So I wouldn't hold my breath for anything earlier than late this month.

Erik

post #329 of 4988 Old 01-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Just a question:
Where is thread about the soon coming processor from Denon pre amp with 10 balanced (XLR) outputs ?
What this unit get as name here in US/Can ?
post #330 of 4988 Old 01-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlouis View Post

The 5308 is now being launched by Denon at the end of Feb in the UK at this show:-

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk

and will be available in the UK to buy from March 08

I am not sure if this has any implications on the US market.

Cheers

Chris

I think this one is not the 5308 but pre pro unit with balanced outputs where pre and amplifier is separated...
On link from bristolshow: Denon to launch the AVP-A1HD THX Ultra2 AV pre/processor
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 5308ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page