*Official* Denon 5308 Thread - Page 110 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3271 of 4970 Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
AdamWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to Denon's web site, for a paltry $1499 they're giving you 120Watts/channel, 5 HDMI inputs, Rhapsody and Napster subscription streaming music service, with Anchor Bay ABT-2010 video processing and Dolby PLIIz decoding. Let's see, I can put one of these into three different rooms for the cost of my 5308, with five years of Rhapsody or Napster service.
AdamWL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3272 of 4970 Old 06-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
john barlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lansing Michigan
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWL View Post

According to Denon's web site, for a paltry $1499 they're giving you 120Watts/channel, 5 HDMI inputs, Rhapsody and Napster subscription streaming music service, with Anchor Bay ABT-2010 video processing and Dolby PLIIz decoding. Let's see, I can put one of these into three different rooms for the cost of my 5308, with five years of Rhapsody or Napster service.

I owned a 4308 before I bought my 5308. The 5308 wasn't out yet. The 4308 wasn't in the same league as the 5308, sound or video wise. I don't expect that the 4310, although it has nice features, will sound anywhere near as good as the 5308 does. And why should it? It's still not in the league of the 5308. Yes it has features we don't have. That's called progress. Did you expect the 5308 to magically be capable of new features? If it isn't too costly, I believe Denon would be willing to add many new features to the 5308. They have kept us current thus far. Dynamic volume, Denonlink 4.
john barlow is offline  
post #3273 of 4970 Old 06-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
AdamWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post

I owned a 4308 before I bought my 5308. The 5308 wasn't out yet. The 4308 wasn't in the same league as the 5308, sound or video wise. I don't expect that the 4310, although it has nice features, will sound anywhere near as good as the 5308 does. And why should it? It's still not in the league of the 5308. Yes it has features we don't have. That's called progress. Did you expect the 5308 to magically be capable of new features? If it isn't too costly, I believe Denon would be willing to add many new features to the 5308. They have kept us current thus far. Dynamic volume, Denonlink 4.

I agree. You couldn't pry my 5308 out of my cold dead arms. It goes without saying that the components and construction of the 5308 are second to no other Denon AVRs. Just feeling a little jealous of the new kids on the block and wishing I had some of that. Wouldn't mind replacing Rhapsody with Napster and wouldn't mind checking out PLIIz. Maybe our "Add New Feature" button will light up some day.
AdamWL is offline  
post #3274 of 4970 Old 07-01-2009, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
john barlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lansing Michigan
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWL View Post

I agree. You couldn't pry my 5308 out of my cold dead arms. It goes without saying that the components and construction of the 5308 are second to no other Denon AVRs. Just feeling a little jealous of the new kids on the block and wishing I had some of that. Wouldn't mind replacing Rhapsody with Napster and wouldn't mind checking out PLIIz. Maybe our "Add New Feature" button will light up some day.


Speaking of Rhapsody. I have a Slacker Radio software plyer on my computer and it's free. Check it out it's really fun and the music sounds great.

http://www.slacker.com/
john barlow is offline  
post #3275 of 4970 Old 07-03-2009, 05:30 AM
Senior Member
 
richpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I use my 5308 as a pre-pro for a very nice B&W speaker system (7.1). What settings would you recommend for Blu-Ray DVD's where you are primarily listening to music with DTS-MA (uncompressed). I use Audyssey for the Eq and have played around with various settings. It seems that the 7.1 mode is definitely louder than anything else, but loud does not always equate to best.

One question about Audyssey dynamic volume - why would you want to use it for music listening? Wouldn't it compress the dynamic range of the materials you are listening to?

Thanks in advance.
richpat is offline  
post #3276 of 4970 Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
john barlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lansing Michigan
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpat View Post

I use my 5308 as a pre-pro for a very nice B&W speaker system (7.1). What settings would you recommend for Blu-Ray DVD's where you are primarily listening to music with DTS-MA (uncompressed). I use Audyssey for the Eq and have played around with various settings. It seems that the 7.1 mode is definitely louder than anything else, but loud does not always equate to best.

One question about Audyssey dynamic volume - why would you want to use it for music listening? Wouldn't it compress the dynamic range of the materials you are listening to?

Thanks in advance.

I use dynamic volume for television viewing, especially late at night. You know how the cable channels like to blast commercials 10db louder than the show your watching.
john barlow is offline  
post #3277 of 4970 Old 07-03-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DreamCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpat View Post

I use my 5308 as a pre-pro for a very nice B&W speaker system (7.1). What settings would you recommend for Blu-Ray DVD's where you are primarily listening to music with DTS-MA (uncompressed). I use Audyssey for the Eq and have played around with various settings. It seems that the 7.1 mode is definitely louder than anything else, but loud does not always equate to best.

One question about Audyssey dynamic volume - why would you want to use it for music listening? Wouldn't it compress the dynamic range of the materials you are listening to?

Thanks in advance.

I don't use Dynamic Volume for music listening, nor do I use Dynamic EQ.
But for everything else, TV viewing via Directv, Bluray, DVD, etc...
I think it works very well, or at least I'm getting use to it.
I think they, Dynamic Volume/EQ, are features that can enhance your viewing experience if you give them a chance.

StayThristyMyFriends
DreamCatcher is offline  
post #3278 of 4970 Old 07-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Member
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SWEDEN Stockholm
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

I don't use Dynamic Volume for music listening, nor do I use Dynamic EQ.
But for everything else, TV viewing via Directv, Bluray, DVD, etc...
I think it works very well, or at least I'm getting use to it.
I think they, Dynamic Volume/EQ, are features that can enhance your viewing experience if you give them a chance.

+1

With one exception though.....Sometimes when i listen to a poor mp3 rip(got lots of them) engaging the Dynamic EQ is the only way to make things better.

//Mats

In some way Soul music started and ended with the Stax/Volt label(Imho).
noobman is offline  
post #3279 of 4970 Old 07-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Newbie
 
wiredca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi everyone..

having problems trying to use the denon 5308 universal remote control to work with my denon 3800 bl-ray player..

any suggestions.. tried everything in the manual but can't get the player to turn on as well i can't get it to work on my pioneer elite plasma too..

any suggestions.. thanks
wiredca is offline  
post #3280 of 4970 Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Newbie
 
henrybendix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sending HD audio from my PS3 as LPCM via HDMI. The receiver recognizes it as multi-channel. Does the 5308 down-mix the 7.1 multi-channel input to my 5.1 setup?

It would seem like an obvious "yes," but sometimes I just don't know... (Like the receiver not passing through 1080p/24fps when set to auto -- you'd think that would be an obvious "yes.")
henrybendix is offline  
post #3281 of 4970 Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
AdamWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, Denon's new line of "advanced" AVRs feature Audyssey DSX with front height or expanded width channels in the receiver category (AVR-4310CI) and Dolby Pro Logic IIz decoding in all models. Also featured is Rhapsody and Napster music services for their 3 top-level models with the AVR-4310CI incorporating the advanced DENON Link 4th, featuring HDMI Clock Control, all for $1,999.

For Denon's highest paying customers, we'll though them a bone. "Beginning in June, owners of Denon's flagship AVR-5308CI receiver and AVP-A1HDCI Ultra-Reference 12-Channel A/V Home Theater/MultiMedia Preamplifier will be able to receive a free firmware upgrade to add DENON Link 4th."

--Okay, so they want us, their more affluent customers, to be quick and eager to plunk down $4,500 for their "reference universal BD-player". But do they throw us any of the new line's features, which will actually provide us with expanded functionality without purchasing a $4.5K component? NO.

I've said this before, I'm not asking to get something for nothing. I can not believe that a paid feature upgrade could not be offered, which would provide PLIIz and Napster music streaming.

You might say that PLIIz and DSX are gimmicky at best. And maybe so. But, I've been a Rhapsody customer for almost a year now, shelling out $13 a month. Napster is offering the same unlimited streaming music service for $5 a month with 5 free MP3 downloads each month. My phone and DAP also support Napster-to-go and Napster doesn't charge another $3/month that "Rhapsody-to-go" does.

I really hope Denon comes through for us and provides at least a Napster upgrade for us 5308 owners. If not, I'm not going to be a happy camper. Rant over.
AdamWL is offline  
post #3282 of 4970 Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Adam.. you assume that PLIIz is a programable feature and doesn't require a new DSP chip solution..

But how can anyone seriously feel slighted over this? Denon has been better that almost all their competition in offering easy firmware updates and keeping their line as current as possible.. I don't think anyone expected there not to be new decoding algorithms or tech coming down the road, and Denon has never sold their gear with the promise of "future proofing."

If they offer the new Dolby tech in the future on their existing gear, I'll be surprised.. but don't lose sleep over it.... It's not that great anyways.
FilmMixer is online now  
post #3283 of 4970 Old 07-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
AdamWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Adam.. you assume that PLIIz is a programable feature and doesn't require a new DSP chip solution..

But how can anyone seriously feel slighted over this? Denon has been better that almost all their competition in offering easy firmware updates and keeping their line as current as possible.. I don't think anyone expected there not to be new decoding algorithms or tech coming down the road, and Denon has never sold their gear with the promise of "future proofing."

If they offer the new Dolby tech in the future on their existing gear, I'll be surprised.. but don't lose sleep over it.... It's not that great anyways.

I tend to agree about the real-world benefit of PLIIz and DSX. It's likely more gimicky than it is of any real listening benefit. I'm not losing sleep over that. What I am losing sleep over is the addition of the Napster music subscription service (in addition to Rhapsody) that they're putting into their lower range of receivers. I very much like the integration of the music service within the receiver itself. It eliminates the need for me to manage and serve the music via my PC. If I'm paying $12.99 a month for my Rhapsody subscription and I could switch to Napster for $5.00 a month, I'd save $96 a year, plus I can sync it with my cell phone and DAP. Then there's also 5 free MP3 downloads a month. So yeah, I will lose sleep over them providing this service feature for a lower-end model receiver. I don't want to have to purchase their $250 iPod/Internet dock, just to add integrated Napster functionality.

I'd like them to come through, just as they did for the 3808 and 4308, and offer a paid upgrade to add Napster, like they offered Rhapsody for these other, older models. And if they can provide PLIIz or DSX, that's a plus. I don' think that would be asking much and it would be a win/win result for both Denon and customer alike. They would get the extra revenue of a paid upgrade, not to mention a happy customer. We would get this new functionality. I believe they could offer it, if they chose to. I, for one, hope they do.
AdamWL is offline  
post #3284 of 4970 Old 07-10-2009, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
danielo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 4,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWL View Post

I'd like them to come through, just as they did for the 3808 and 4308, and offer a paid upgrade to add Napster, like they offered Rhapsody for these other, older models. And if they can provide PLIIz or DSX, that's a plus. I don' think that would be asking much and it would be a win/win result for both Denon and customer alike. They would get the extra revenue of a paid upgrade, not to mention a happy customer. We would get this new functionality. I believe they could offer it, if they chose to. I, for one, hope they do.

My guess it will happen but maybe not in the way you are hoping. If history is a guide denon will release a replacement for the 5308 and avp next year (probably .11 or mk2) that will have new hardware and new software so it
has them upto a state of the 'flagship' models again. In the meantime well we are talking about 2 year old designs so at some point the lower end who are on a shorter release cycle will get features the top models mis. Thats just the way denon works. Current owners will get a option to upgrade to make their machines match or nearly match the new models.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
danielo is offline  
post #3285 of 4970 Old 07-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
AdamWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

My guess it will happen but maybe not in the way you are hoping. If history is a guide denon will release a replacement for the 5308 and avp next year (probably .11 or mk2) that will have new hardware and new software so it
has them upto a state of the 'flagship' models again. In the meantime well we are talking about 2 year old designs so at some point the lower end who are on a shorter release cycle will get features the top models mis. Thats just the way denon works. Current owners will get a option to upgrade to make their machines match or nearly match the new models.

Daniel.

I spoke with someone at ListenUp about any information they may have about the 5310, 5308 and any future updates for it. He indicated that it is believed there would be "some" future updates available for the 5308 that would provide certain features introduced with the 3310 and 4310. Of course, the upcoming 5310 would have "all" the new features. He had recommended waiting for the 5310, if you didn't already have a 5308. That option won't work for most of us that already have one. I guess we'll just have to just wait and see...
AdamWL is offline  
post #3286 of 4970 Old 07-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Member
 
btscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm sure this is a redundant question, so my apologies. Its just really difficult to sift through all the pages to find the answer I am looking for...

I am looking at the AVP and the 5308 and am wondering what the benefits of the AVP over the 5308 as a preamp are. I currently have an ATI 5 channel amp and Krell Home Theater Standard pre connected to 4 ohm Dynaudio speakers. So would worry about the 5308's ability to drive the speakers properly. I would not be looking for anything other than digital sound and video capabilities and all connections would either be hdmi, optical or coax. Are the big benefits in the AVP with the DAC's and balanced outputs? Just wondering if the benefits in the AVP are worth the extra couple thousand for someone who would not be using the system for music other than Pandora from time to time.

I will post this in the AVP section as well.

Thanks!!

HT: ATI 1505, ATI 1502, Denon AVP-A1HDCI, Oppo 105, Dynaudio Focus 220 MkII, Focus 200C, Audience 42, SVS PB13-Ultra, Definitive Technology DI 8R, Sharp LC-90LE745U 2-Channel:Krell 400xi, Krell SACD Standard, Logitech Transporter, Dynaudio Focus 360 Outside: NAD 325BEE, Definitive Technology AW6500
btscott is offline  
post #3287 of 4970 Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Newbie
 
seehunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed in the specs that the NEW 4310 is a good 8 pounds lighter than
the 4308. I have heard that these weight drops on some Onkyo reviews that I read last year indicated some perceived drop in unit quality. Does anyone have any idea if the weight drop here signals anything significant???
It IS cheaper than the 4308.
seehunt is offline  
post #3288 of 4970 Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by seehunt View Post

I noticed in the specs that the NEW 4310 is a good 8 pounds lighter than
the 4308. I have heard that these weight drops on some Onkyo reviews that I read last year indicated some perceived drop in unit quality. Does anyone have any idea if the weight drop here signals anything significant???
It IS cheaper than the 4308.

I've owned all three (have a 4310 right now.)

In my opinion, the 4310 is a better unit for both video and audio than the 4308, regardless of the price or weight. I suspect that the 4308 would probably fare better driving most speaker to louder levels than the 4310, but I am talking about level that I will never listen at.... however, I find the clarity and punch on the 4310 to be a notch above the 4308.
FilmMixer is online now  
post #3289 of 4970 Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 AM
Senior Member
 
richpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by btscott View Post

I'm sure this is a redundant question, so my apologies. Its just really difficult to sift through all the pages to find the answer I am looking for...

I am looking at the AVP and the 5308 and am wondering what the benefits of the AVP over the 5308 as a preamp are. I currently have an ATI 5 channel amp and Krell Home Theater Standard pre connected to 4 ohm Dynaudio speakers. So would worry about the 5308's ability to drive the speakers properly. I would not be looking for anything other than digital sound and video capabilities and all connections would either be hdmi, optical or coax. Are the big benefits in the AVP with the DAC's and balanced outputs? Just wondering if the benefits in the AVP are worth the extra couple thousand for someone who would not be using the system for music other than Pandora from time to time.

I will post this in the AVP section as well.

Thanks!!

I have a 5308 which is teamed with B&W 802D's etc. I found the 5308 to be ok at lower listening levels but ultimately picked up a NAD M25 which I use now to drive my speakers. I felt there was a definite improvement in sound quality at high output levels. The 5308, however, still provided very decent sound quality. At the level you are talking about, improvements are very incremental. My guess is that you can't lose either way as the 5308 is a great pre-pro and the AVP is slightly better due to its feature set. One thing the 5308 does for you is that you can use it to power side/rears and use your amp to bi-amp your front/center speakers, something, I am about to experiment with.
richpat is offline  
post #3290 of 4970 Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
AdamWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I've owned all three (have a 4310 right now.)

In my opinion, the 4310 is a better unit for both video and audio than the 4308, regardless of the price or weight. I suspect that the 4308 would probably fare better driving most speaker to louder levels than the 4310, but I am talking about level that I will never listen at.... however, I find the clarity and punch on the 4310 to be a notch above the 4308.

How does the 4310 sound compare to the 5308? How is it's video upscaling/deinterlacing compare with the 5308? I haven't run into anybody who had both! Thanks!!
AdamWL is offline  
post #3291 of 4970 Old 07-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Member
 
auburn82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have not asked a question in a while. I am not using my 5308 to the extent most of you are. I have a problem that probably has a simple answer but I can't find it. My son wanted to hook-up a WII today and when I went to set it up, my GUI would not show up on my pioneer elite. The menu works on the unit but it does not show up on the plasma. I have it set to NTSC like the users manual says.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.
auburn82 is offline  
post #3292 of 4970 Old 07-19-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
danielo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 4,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburn82 View Post

I have not asked a question in a while. I am not using my 5308 to the extent most of you are. I have a problem that probably has a simple answer but I can't find it. My son wanted to hook-up a WII today and when I went to set it up, my GUI would not show up on my pioneer elite. The menu works on the unit but it does not show up on the plasma. I have it set to NTSC like the users manual says.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.

Take the power off (unplug) for a few min. and retry, this happens one every year on most machines for unclear reasons.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
danielo is offline  
post #3293 of 4970 Old 07-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Member
 
CintiAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to balance my speaker output using an external source. I have had no problems trimming using the internal noise generator in the 5308, but those vertical trimmers only seem to work with the internal noise. Here's the funny thing. From time to time while watching tv or dvd, I have gone into the Denon Menu and back out and I have seen a trim menu (loudness) with yellow/orange horizontal bars for each of the channels. I could change the levels for each speaker using the left and right buttons on the remote. Now that I need it, I can't replicate which buttons I pushed to get this. Of course when I didn't need it, it came up all the time.

So does anyone know how to get into this screen? I need it to calibrate my subwoofer outputs with the SVS AS-EQ1. I'm sure that others could use it in balancing their rooms with REW, etc.

Thanks!
CintiAudio is offline  
post #3294 of 4970 Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
john barlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lansing Michigan
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CintiAudio View Post

I am trying to balance my speaker output using an external source. I have had no problems trimming using the internal noise generator in the 5308, but those vertical trimmers only seem to work with the internal noise. Here's the funny thing. From time to time while watching tv or dvd, I have gone into the Denon Menu and back out and I have seen a trim menu (loudness) with yellow/orange horizontal bars for each of the channels. I could change the levels for each speaker using the left and right buttons on the remote. Now that I need it, I can't replicate which buttons I pushed to get this. Of course when I didn't need it, it came up all the time.

So does anyone know how to get into this screen? I need it to calibrate my subwoofer outputs with the SVS AS-EQ1. I'm sure that others could use it in balancing their rooms with REW, etc.

Thanks!

HI, Just push the center button (Ch Select Enter)
john barlow is offline  
post #3295 of 4970 Old 07-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Member
 
CintiAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That was very easy and completely counter-intuitive. I've been trying to figure that out for days. I even read the manual again.

Thanks, John!
CintiAudio is offline  
post #3296 of 4970 Old 07-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
john barlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lansing Michigan
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CintiAudio View Post

That was very easy and completely counter-intuitive. I've been trying to figure that out for days. I even read the manual again.

Thanks, John!

Yeah, I agree about the conter intuitive part. I happened on to it by accident and was thrilled when I found it.
john barlow is offline  
post #3297 of 4970 Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Newbie
 
renabot77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does someone has experience with pre-out connections to other amplifiers? If I use these connections, will I be able to use the speaker terminals of my 5308?
Thanks,
Renato
renabot77 is offline  
post #3298 of 4970 Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by renabot77 View Post

Does someone has experience with pre-out connections to other amplifiers? If I use these connections, will I be able to use the speaker terminals of my 5308?
Thanks,
Renato

Yes, you can use both.
FilmMixer is online now  
post #3299 of 4970 Old 07-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Member
 
zephro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWL View Post

So, Denon's new line of "advanced" AVRs feature Audyssey DSX with front height or expanded width channels in the receiver category (AVR-4310CI) and Dolby Pro Logic IIz decoding in all models. Also featured is Rhapsody and Napster music services for their 3 top-level models with the AVR-4310CI incorporating the advanced DENON Link 4th, featuring HDMI Clock Control, all for $1,999.

For Denon's highest paying customers, we'll though them a bone. "Beginning in June, owners of Denon's flagship AVR-5308CI receiver and AVP-A1HDCI Ultra-Reference 12-Channel A/V Home Theater/MultiMedia Preamplifier will be able to receive a free firmware upgrade to add DENON Link 4th."

--Okay, so they want us, their more affluent customers, to be quick and eager to plunk down $4,500 for their "reference universal BD-player". But do they throw us any of the new line's features, which will actually provide us with expanded functionality without purchasing a $4.5K component? NO.

I've said this before, I'm not asking to get something for nothing. I can not believe that a paid feature upgrade could not be offered, which would provide PLIIz and Napster music streaming.

You might say that PLIIz and DSX are gimmicky at best. And maybe so. But, I've been a Rhapsody customer for almost a year now, shelling out $13 a month. Napster is offering the same unlimited streaming music service for $5 a month with 5 free MP3 downloads each month. My phone and DAP also support Napster-to-go and Napster doesn't charge another $3/month that "Rhapsody-to-go" does.

I really hope Denon comes through for us and provides at least a Napster upgrade for us 5308 owners. If not, I'm not going to be a happy camper. Rant over.

Send an email and/or letter to their marketing/sales group. That's what I did.
zephro is offline  
post #3300 of 4970 Old 07-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Member
 
jjohanneson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New firmware update out. According to the update log, minor fixes.
jjohanneson is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off