*Official* Denon 5308 Thread - Page 168 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #5011 of 5028 Old 06-28-2015, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
and for the life of me cant get the unit to reset to factory defaults by using the power, standard, tx button reset...Just doesn't do it..
Im ready to throw this unit out in the trash and hook my 4308 back up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5012 of 5028 Old 06-28-2015, 11:17 AM

plus cant reset the microprocessor using the standard method of power, standard, and tx buttons, just wont do it...
post #5013 of 5028 Old 06-28-2015, 12:44 PM

figured out the hard reset, its actually the push button on/off little button, not the larger one...
now since I did this...I will see if this has help with any of the issues I am having.
post #5014 of 5028 Old 06-29-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10989 Post(s)
Liked: 5088
^^
Try doing a "network reset" by pressing/holding the UP/DOWN arrow buttons on the front panel while powering on the AVR.
post #5015 of 5028 Old 06-29-2015, 03:07 PM

Hi Jd
did both the resets. Unit seems to be better...
will know when I get home from work.
Still have the noise in the L SW channel when approaching -10bd, can only hear it when nothing is playing.
Also, seems to be some high pitched noise (like a fan) running and can hear it when the room is quite. As I turn the volume up past -10bd can hear it.
is there an internal fan that runs to keep the 5308 cool? Bec I can hear something running inside. What do you think?

Another thing, I definitely will not update the firmware. What does this update correct, if you know?
thanks for getting back to me.

The audio is really spectacular with the 5308, I am really happy I upgraded from the 4308, which was a fine machine also.
Recenly moved, sold all my power amps, honestly can not really hear a difference.

The 5308 is in another league...
post #5016 of 5028 Old 11-15-2015, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all

I am trying to update my Denon AVR-5308CI using the network ethernet connection and I am not having any luck. It keeps hanging on 39 mins. Apparently it's a router issue on my end but I've turned off uPNP, set up a DMZ, and static IP for the Receiver. Still no luck. I am about to give up but does anyone know of a method to side load it somehow? Apparently i have A1.91 and there isn't a record of that version anywhere I could find, but the receiver does say there is a version to update. If not has anyone figured out how to get it to stop it from trying keep on updating automatically. I have to unplug the ethernet to stop it from shutting off and restarting attempting to connect to the Denon server. Grrr. Resetting the CPU doesn't do anything beyond wipe out all my settings.

Thanks!!
post #5017 of 5028 Old 11-15-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterswan View Post
Hi all

I am trying to update my Denon AVR-5308CI using the network ethernet connection and I am not having any luck. It keeps hanging on 39 mins. Apparently it's a router issue on my end but I've turned off uPNP, set up a DMZ, and static IP for the Receiver. Still no luck. I am about to give up but does anyone know of a method to side load it somehow? Apparently i have A1.91 and there isn't a record of that version anywhere I could find, but the receiver does say there is a version to update. If not has anyone figured out how to get it to stop it from trying keep on updating automatically. I have to unplug the ethernet to stop it from shutting off and restarting attempting to connect to the Denon server. Grrr. Resetting the CPU doesn't do anything beyond wipe out all my settings.

Thanks!!
Try doing a "network reset" by pressing/holding the UP/DOWN arrow buttons on the front panel while powering on the AVR (similar to microprocessor reset procedure).
post #5018 of 5028 Old 11-16-2015, 08:35 PM

Liked: 0
That worked perfectly!! thank you!!
post #5019 of 5028 Old 11-24-2015, 08:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swatdude1 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by jdsmoothie 

No.. This setting would only be used if you were using the 7.1 multi analog inputs and more specifically for the .1 input. Although it shouldn't make a difference, try setting the sub to LFE+MAIN. Does the music you're listening to have lower bass frequencies?

Yes. The annoying thing is that when I set it to any of the surround modes while listening to the DAC-1, the DD-15 immediately fires up and starts pumping out bass. Switch it back to Direct and nothing comes out of the sub. I really prefer to listen to 2-channel 96khz 24 bit music in 2-channel.

When I get home from work today I am going to try a soft reset and see if that does anything.
Did anyone come up with a solution for this ? I'm having the same issue and a search reveals the exact same problem but no real answer I can see.
post #5020 of 5028 Old 11-25-2015, 02:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhollywood View Post
Did anyone come up with a solution for this ? I'm having the same issue and a search reveals the exact same problem but no real answer I can see.
Did you change the mode to "LFE+Main" as I suggested to the OP?
post #5021 of 5028 Old 11-25-2015, 05:43 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Did you change the mode to "LFE+Main" as I suggested to the OP?

Yes, I've tried both settings.
post #5022 of 5028 Old 11-06-2016, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
1, OK, it has been a long time since I posted here. Appears the same for others as well. I need some recommendations. We just moved and now I have a dedicated media room. Actually just one of the bedrooms that my wife let me use. The audio/video was not going into our new living room so I got the downstairs bedroom. So be it, that much better. Here is my issue. I have just upgraded my Panasonic 65" Plasma 2009 to the new Sony XBR-75Z9D. I have not received it yet (a week away). Problem.... As a Ultra High Def TV I will have it hooked up to Ethernet for things like Netflix, Amazon Video, etcetera. The TV does not have a HDMI out, only in. It does have a fiber optic out. My concern is that I will lose the great audio that I use to get via the Denon. Will I still enjoy Dolby Digital 7.1 or 5.1? I sort of remember something about copyright that can prevent the audio from going through optical output.

2, I am having Direct TV install their 4K System. I believe it is the Genie DVR 54 that will replace my Genie DVR 44 Plus a Mini that actually enables the 4K signal. I understand I cannot run the HDMI from Direct TV to the Denon and then to the Sony TV. Our Denon 5308CI upgraded will not pass any signal beyond 1080P. Is this correct? It will pass through 3D at 1080P. Is that correct? Again will the fiber optic coming from the Sony back to the Denon give me Dolby Digital 5.1 and/or 7.1?

3. I have heard that there are some Ultra High Definition HDMI splitters out there? If I ran one of the HDMI with 4K to the Denon could I get the audio that way?

4. I am thinking that I will lose the switching capability of the Denon since I will not be able to use it with UHD HDMI cables. So I would have to switch the Denon to the Source and also the Sony to the Source. Makes it more complex.

5. I am thinking of adding an Xbox One which comes with a 4K Blue Ray player. Same issue here? I would have to run the HDMI to the Sony and the Fiber Optic out from the Sony to the Denon.

6. Most new receivers have the capability of switching 4K signals. Could I purchase a low cost receiver and somehow send the audio to the Denon 5308CI? Or is that just dumb? I love the receiver and think it sounds as good as it ever has.
Manny
post #5023 of 5028 Old 11-07-2016, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 50
This seems like it would be just what you need....

An HDMI 4k matrix switcher....

This is the one that I have...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._switcher.html

You can plug all your sources into this, and output any signal to any, or all of the 8 outputs

You can run one HDMI to your receiver, for the audio..... it works with all the high resolution sound formats....

Fan is a little louder than I would like, but that's life.....

So in the end, this will switch all your 4k stuff, which your receiver can't do, but you can still get the audio to the receiver...
You just set one of the outputs to go to the receiver.....

Shelly
post #5024 of 5028 Old 11-07-2016, 03:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
1, OK, it has been a long time since I posted here. Appears the same for others as well. I need some recommendations. We just moved and now I have a dedicated media room. Actually just one of the bedrooms that my wife let me use. The audio/video was not going into our new living room so I got the downstairs bedroom. So be it, that much better. Here is my issue. I have just upgraded my Panasonic 65" Plasma 2009 to the new Sony XBR-75Z9D. I have not received it yet (a week away).

1. As a Ultra High Def TV I will have it hooked up to Ethernet for things like Netflix, Amazon Video, etcetera. The TV does not have a HDMI out, only in. It does have a fiber optic out. My concern is that I will lose the great audio that I use to get via the Denon. Will I still enjoy Dolby Digital 7.1 or 5.1? I sort of remember something about copyright that can prevent the audio from going through optical output.

2, I am having Direct TV install their 4K System. I believe it is the Genie DVR 54 that will replace my Genie DVR 44 Plus a Mini that actually enables the 4K signal. I understand I cannot run the HDMI from Direct TV to the Denon and then to the Sony TV. Our Denon 5308CI upgraded will not pass any signal beyond 1080P. Is this correct? It will pass through 3D at 1080P. Is that correct? Again will the fiber optic coming from the Sony back to the Denon give me Dolby Digital 5.1 and/or 7.1?

3. I have heard that there are some Ultra High Definition HDMI splitters out there? If I ran one of the HDMI with 4K to the Denon could I get the audio that way?

4. I am thinking that I will lose the switching capability of the Denon since I will not be able to use it with UHD HDMI cables. So I would have to switch the Denon to the Source and also the Sony to the Source. Makes it more complex.

5. I am thinking of adding an Xbox One which comes with a 4K Blue Ray player. Same issue here? I would have to run the HDMI to the Sony and the Fiber Optic out from the Sony to the Denon.

6. Most new receivers have the capability of switching 4K signals. Could I purchase a low cost receiver and somehow send the audio to the Denon 5308CI? Or is that just dumb? I love the receiver and think it sounds as good as it ever has.
Manny

1. Although the TV features HDMI(ARC) to pass the on board smart app audio back to the 5308 via the HDMI cable that connects them, the 5308 pre-dates the HDMI(ARC) feature so you would have to use the optical cable from the TV back to the AVR, however, some TVs can only pass PCM 2.0 over the optical while others can also do DD 5.1 so you'll need to check the Sony Owner's manual to confirm which your model can do.

2. Correct, only up to 3D 1080p; however, depending on answer to 1 above, you may want to connect another optical from DTV box back to the AVR.

3. Yes, video would pass to the TV via HDMI and audio would pass to the AVR. Consider the HD Fury Integral ($250) for this purpose.

4. HDMI cables are backwards compatible, so there shouldn't be any problem if used with the 5308. The new 4k BDPs are dual HDMI so you'll pass the video to the TV and the audio to the 5308.

5. Better option .... optical from the xBox.

6. Better option to use an audio splitter or HDMI (TV) + optical (5308) from the source as previously discussed.
post #5025 of 5028 Old 11-07-2016, 09:57 AM

Thank you for the responses. I have heard mention of the HD Fury Integral. Their web site shows that they are focused on these products. I found when shopping at Best Buy that they have a splitter that is compliant as well for about half the price. Here is the link to their web site and specifications for the device. https://s3.amazonaws.com/productdocs...17e7ee3cdd61b8 It is HDCP 2.2 compliant which I understand is important. I have placed my Denon 5308 CI upgraded unit on eBay to see if I can sell it. If so I might purchase the Marantz 8802 Pre Amp. I have been using a Sunfire 7 channel amp for the last year. I would prefer not spending the money at present. So perhaps the splitter will suffice. I am hoping that by sending a HDMI output to the Denon that it will pull out the audio successfully. I will want to turn off the video output for that input. I cannot remember if that is possible to do? I guess what I could do is utilize one of the Sony TV inputs that I would not normally use for Direct TV and/or Xbox One. That would still allow me to see the Denon Menu on the TV. You may know this but if the Denon receives a UHD signal would it just try and change it to 1080P or would it look all distorted? Interesting experiment.
Manny
post #5026 of 5028 Old 11-10-2016, 10:23 AM

Well I purchased the Rocketfish splitter and tried it with my new Samsung 8000 series 49 inch TV. The TV continued to show This TV does not support 4K. So somehow the TV and/or Direct TV 4K mini sees some sort of contamination or change in what it expects for a signal. Mind you the picture looked great. I did not do an A and B because I could not change the connections quickly enough to keep the picture quality in mind. So I am assuming that if it did not work here it probably won't work with a Sony TV. Bummer. I will have to try the unit you recommended to see if there is a improvement. I am in the process of selling my AVR5308 CI 3D Upgraded unit. I am going to replace it with a Marantz 8802A and use my 7 channel Sunfire Amp to power the 7.1 system I have.
Manny
post #5027 of 5028 Old 11-13-2016, 07:32 AM

Well I put my Denon on eBay the other day and it went quickly. I had used a stock photo and did not mention in the title of the listing that it was upgraded. In the body of the listing I did indicate it was the upgrade. So I listed it for $2300 and sold it for $2000. The fellow who bought it asked if I could take a picture of the unit when it first turns on. Supposedly it will show 3D on the screen. This was news to me. However I did check and yes it does. I am sad in a way as this was the best piece of electronics that I have ever owned. I felt way beyond my status by having this AVR. I replaced it with the Marantz 8802A. I acquired that yesterday and will install into my system today. Since I was spending a lot for the Sony XBR-75Z9D set coming Monday I wanted to have a unit that would do the switching rather than try and mouse my way through it. I hope this was a good move. When I picked up the box with the Marantz I thought for a moment that someone had removed the unit. It was so light in comparison to the Denon. Of course with no onboard amps the Marantz should be significantly lighter. For a moment at least I wondered. I am still doing 7.1 and probably will not add height speakers too soon. There are so many new formats out there. It is hard to figure out what to go with. We watch a lot of movies and I often notice very few have audio beyond 7.1 Perhaps in the future we will see more choices in audio. My media room is a converted bedroom and it is not super large 20 by 15. So things are already tight. I must thank everyone who posts their thoughts and comments in AVS. It is really my go to place when I need help in figuring stuff out. There are some dedicated folks out there. I tip my hat.
Manny
post #5028 of 5028 Old 11-14-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
Well I put my Denon on eBay the other day and it went quickly. I had used a stock photo and did not mention in the title of the listing that it was upgraded. In the body of the listing I did indicate it was the upgrade. So I listed it for $2300 and sold it for $2000. The fellow who bought it asked if I could take a picture of the unit when it first turns on. Supposedly it will show 3D on the screen. This was news to me. However I did check and yes it does. I am sad in a way as this was the best piece of electronics that I have ever owned. I felt way beyond my status by having this AVR. I replaced it with the Marantz 8802A. I acquired that yesterday and will install into my system today. Since I was spending a lot for the Sony XBR-75Z9D set coming Monday I wanted to have a unit that would do the switching rather than try and mouse my way through it. I hope this was a good move. When I picked up the box with the Marantz I thought for a moment that someone had removed the unit. It was so light in comparison to the Denon. Of course with no onboard amps the Marantz should be significantly lighter. For a moment at least I wondered. I am still doing 7.1 and probably will not add height speakers too soon. There are so many new formats out there. It is hard to figure out what to go with. We watch a lot of movies and I often notice very few have audio beyond 7.1 Perhaps in the future we will see more choices in audio. My media room is a converted bedroom and it is not super large 20 by 15. So things are already tight. I must thank everyone who posts their thoughts and comments in AVS. It is really my go to place when I need help in figuring stuff out. There are some dedicated folks out there. I tip my hat.
Manny
Most owners of the current models are more impressed with what the Dolby Surround upmixer (DSU) and the DTS Neural:X upmixer do with their existing non-Atmps/DTS:X DVD/BD movies as far as simulating audio to the height speakers go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page