*Official* Denon 5308 Thread - Page 169 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #5041 of 5061 Old 01-09-2017, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post
Manny thank you for the advice...i'll see how it turns out. Request my initial payment, plus insurance money and give him a few hundred for his time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post
^^
Thanks Manny for you opinion and your thoughts. As of now I am waiting to hear back from the seller as what the next step is. Full refund and ship it back, or full refund and let me keep the unit and get it fixed with the insurance money?
I couldn't believe such a thought.
So you think they might let you keep it and refund your money and then you open claim to ups to get more money?!
That's genius.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

XBR55X700D/Optoma HD141X
Yamaha RX-A3050
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes/Sub
Acoustimass 15 Series 2 Sub
Velodyne WiConnect-10 Sub - For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5061 Old 01-09-2017, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh Nguyen View Post
I couldn't believe such a thought.
So you think they might let you keep it and refund your money and then you open claim to ups to get more money?!
That's genius.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk
I really don't think you understood. No one suggested that they were going to double dip. The seller is responsible for putting forth a claim. This is because they are the ones that shipped the product and paid for the insurance. UPS will ask for evidence that there is damage. They also ask to see how it was packaged to make sure it was not the fault of the shipper rather than how they handled it. From pictures they can decide to pay the insurance. Normally they ask for the item that was damaged. You can say that the insurance does not cover the cost of the item in terms of its overall value. If the damages exceed the insurance then you can often get them to pay the claim. The money belongs to the buyer who paid for the item. So I suggested that the buyer could offer the seller a small token amount for their efforts. The buyer then keeps the unit and tries to have it fixed. They must pay for the fixing of the unit, not UPS. Not sure how you misinterpreted this? Hope that makes sense. Your actual cost to repair may be less than what you got back. This makes it an even better deal. The buyer will not be able to get a new case but perhaps find out what broke loose.
post #5043 of 5061 Old 01-09-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
I really don't think you understood. No one suggested that they were going to double dip. The seller is responsible for putting forth a claim. This is because they are the ones that shipped the product and paid for the insurance. UPS will ask for evidence that there is damage. They also ask to see how it was packaged to make sure it was not the fault of the shipper rather than how they handled it. From pictures they can decide to pay the insurance. Normally they ask for the item that was damaged. You can say that the insurance does not cover the cost of the item in terms of its overall value. If the damages exceed the insurance then you can often get them to pay the claim. The money belongs to the buyer who paid for the item. So I suggested that the buyer could offer the seller a small token amount for their efforts. The buyer then keeps the unit and tries to have it fixed. They must pay for the fixing of the unit, not UPS. Not sure how you misinterpreted this? Hope that makes sense. Your actual cost to repair may be less than what you got back. This makes it an even better deal. The buyer will not be able to get a new case but perhaps find out what broke loose.
Quote:
Full refund and ship it back, or full refund and let me keep the unit and get it fixed with the insurance money?
I am not sure if I misinterpreted this statement.
I fully understand how insurance claim worked and I don't need to explain this because I know many people have done these.
Quote:
i'll see how it turns out. Request my initial payment, plus insurance money and give him a few hundred for his time?
Buyer or shipment receiver CAN'T have both initial payment and insurance money and shipping carrier WON'T pay more than paid insured amount.

XBR55X700D/Optoma HD141X
Yamaha RX-A3050

Last edited by Anh Nguyen; 01-09-2017 at 10:15 PM.

post #5044 of 5061 Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 AM

In the end I don't think he intends to double dip. I agree that one of his statements suggests that. However, I was trying to give him an alternative approach. It will be interesting to see what happens in the end. That is really the bottom line. Not picking things out to make a comment. Just my thoughts.
Manny
post #5045 of 5061 Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 45
My curiosity question is whether repair parts are still available. Kind of a risky thing for an almost 10 year old receiver.
post #5046 of 5061 Old 01-10-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
My curiosity question is whether repair parts are still available. Kind of a risky thing for an almost 10 year old receiver.
Parts might be available since manufacturers often spare it. You need a service manual to find part number and find their part order page to place an order. I have done this for Yamaha, Pioneer and Sony

XBR55X700D/Optoma HD141X
Yamaha RX-A3050
post #5047 of 5061 Old 01-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have a 5308 that did not get the upgrade.....that I am looking to sell..

It is missing one of the front channel binding post......

I use a separate amp for front channels, so it was never a factor for me...
But definitely could be a factor for someone buying it.....

What did the upgrade add ?

Was it 3D ?

Shelly
post #5048 of 5061 Old 01-10-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh Nguyen View Post
Parts might be available since manufacturers often spare it. You need a service manual to find part number and find their part order page to place an order. I have done this for Yamaha, Pioneer and Sony
I've been learning the fine art of repairing things myself (most recently a broken cable on our 18 year old snow blower; before that a broken part on our not all that young Sears vacuum cleaner (I probably broke something else while doing so, but it does what it needs to do for now); and before that the SC board in my Panny ZT plasma; and before those even some upgrades and repairs to my aging Mac Pro).

Maybe it was the Denon 5805 (or something else), but I thought I'd read that certain parts for it were scarce/non-existent, so I have just been assuming that once it croaked that was that, time to move on (not like I'd even have a chance of being able to repair that myself!). And that's the story I'll be sticking to if/when it finally does...

But I ramble.
post #5049 of 5061 Old 01-10-2017, 11:54 AM

True it can be tricky getting parts for older electronics. Generally a good shop will try and determine if a resistor, or Capacitor is bad. Often the amps can still be gotten. If a board is toast that can be a real problem. I had a Carver amp where the RCA had broken away from the internal PCB. The outside frame was a bit bent as was the back cover where all the connectors are located. I carefully took it apart and banged everything as straight as possible. I tried to get the part but no one offers it anymore. I even contacted Carver and he was unable to locate that specific part. I soldered the RCA connector part several times before I got it just right. Internally the boards were undamaged. Once fixed it looked great and worked perfectly. I had paid around $700. UPS refunded the money paid to the seller. He kept about $100 and sent the rest to me. UPS wanted the item but I told them it was a legacy item and worth much more than the insurance. They agreed and let me keep the unit. With the Denon given that it was dropped hard, I would think a board worked loose or the movement caused a ground to break. It should be relatively easy to isolate the damage and do the repairs. If a PCB were cracked then that would be a different issue. But I don't see that happening. I think it will cost a minimum cost to determine the problem and then a low cost fix. It is worth the effort. You can always paint over the metal that was damaged. In a cabinet or on the rack you will probably not even notice it.
post #5050 of 5061 Old 02-19-2017, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is denon AVR 5308ci audyssey Pro kit ready? Please share your thoughts about it bcuz I am thinking of buying Avr x7200wa instead...
post #5051 of 5061 Old 02-19-2017, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFoHo View Post
Hi all. I'm still running the 5308 (known as the AVC-A1HD here in the UK). I'm still absolutely floored by the performance, the sheer power output of the thing......

...thing is, as technologies advance, it's just becoming increasingly more complex to keep the big Denon integrated into my modest home cinema system.

I missed the 3D upgrade, and now with 4K looming, I do find myself looking at the newer Denon flagship, the AVR-X7200WA.
I'm not really interested in the immersive audio stuff, I prefer to just concentrate on doing 5.1 really well. To that end, I have the amp running a pair of Monitor Audio GS60's (bi-amped) as mains, the Monitor Audio GSC, and a pair of Monitor Audio GSFX's bringing up the rear.

It all sounds phenomenal, I can't imaging anything sounding better, or more room filling, seriously!

But still, I look at how easy it would be to get the X7200 and not faff about running splitters etc to get around the A1HD's HDMI limitations. Also, the X7200WA seems to get glowing reviews, everywhere. The X7200WA seems loaded with features!

Question. Have any 5308 owners bit the bullet and sold off their amp for the newer Denon flagship? Or have you heard the X7200WA and are able to make, even a rough, comparison?
I did not have a 5308ci but I did have a 4308ci which I am sure you all know is the unit below. I was in exactly the same situation you are currently in. I passed on 3D and contemplated 4K. The only difference is I was interested in Dolby Atmos and DTSX. I made the switch and ended up getting the marantz 8802a processor because I was using the precots with 2 Rotel amps. If I had to to it again I would of waited until the 2018 units came out. Reason why is because for HDR Metadata you are going to need HDMI 2.1 which no receiver or processor has now. In the end you will most likely need to get another receiver in 2018. I got deceived by the dealer and was told I would good for about 5 to 10 years. If HLG (broadcast HDR) HFR and Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are of interest wait for HDMI 2.1 if not and current HDR10 which is static metadata without dynamic Metadata is ok take the plunge. I might also add i made the move because I had to buy a TV because my Pioneer Elite 151FD died and I ended up getting a LG OLED E6. If it were me I would wait!!

Last edited by Dave-T; 02-19-2017 at 04:53 AM.
post #5052 of 5061 Old 02-19-2017, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Denon 3808/4308/5308 Firmware Tracking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly40 View Post
I have a 5308 that did not get the upgrade.....that I am looking to sell..

It is missing one of the front channel binding post......

I use a separate amp for front channels, so it was never a factor for me...
But definitely could be a factor for someone buying it.....

What did the upgrade add ?

Was it 3D ?

Shelly
I just found this thread, which may be of interest to you...

And from Denon:
https://usa.denon.com/us/downloads/productupdates

Quote:
PRODUCT UPDATES & UPGRADES
In a digital age in which technology advances at an ever increasing rate, it is sometimes necessary to perform firmware updates on products in order to keep up with new products and formats.
On this page you will find various updates and upgrades for Denon products along with instructions to guide you through the process.

All current products are able to download updates directly from the Denon server using your internet connection.
This would be initiated through the menu of the Denon unit.
If you do not see your model listed below and do not know how to perform a firmware update our customer service team would be happy to assist you.

Please note that in the past some feature upgrades have been offered which involve upgrading some parts within the Denon unit.
Such upgrades must be performed by Denon factory service.
Because such upgrades require specific parts, these upgrades are only offered while supplies last.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & output x1 cards} - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link

Last edited by Mike_WI; 02-19-2017 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Denon link added
post #5053 of 5061 Old 02-19-2017, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14360 Post(s)
Liked: 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsip View Post
Is denon AVR 5308ci audyssey Pro kit ready? Please share your thoughts about it bcuz I am thinking of buying Avr x7200wa instead...
Yes, the Audyssey Pro Kit ($700) can be used with the 5308CI as noted by the link below; however, you would likely be much better served with the more current X7200WA or even the more current X4300H or X6300H both of which will be able to use the new Audyssey phone app ($20) when released (March?).

http://installer.audyssey.com/files/...8CI_3808CI.pdf
Mike_WI likes this.
post #5054 of 5061 Old 02-19-2017, 11:57 AM

Thank you so much bcuz your information made me feel better today. But isn't that Avr 7200xa needs pro kit too? Also, how big is the difference between 7200 vs 5308 in terms of sound quality? Any idea? Is it really the time to replace 5308 since denon doesn't have any 4k blu ray yet?
post #5055 of 5061 Old 02-19-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much bcuz your information made me feel better today. But isn't that Avr 7200xa needs pro kit too? Also, how big is the difference between 7200 vs 5308 in terms of sound quality? Any idea? Is it really the time to replace 5308 since denon doesn't have any 4k blu ray yet?
Yes, the X7200WA would need the Pro Kit (at least at this time) if you wanted to enhance the Audyssey version on board (whether XT or XT32). If the $1000 XT32/3D upgrade was installed to the 5308CI, then it would likely provide similar quality, while the X7200WA would provide for more features. If you don't need any of the newer features on the more current flagship, then no reason to upgrade. Note however, you don't need to use a Denon 4k BDP, rather you can use any 4k BDP with the 5308CI.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #5056 of 5061 Old 02-19-2017, 12:12 PM

I am a huge fun of denon Avr and blu ray players... all of my players and Avr are denon... and I am very much appreciative of your information and learning a lot from you though. I don't like 3D but I want 4k. And since denon doesn't have 4k player yet so I guess I will stick to my 5308 till they come with Avr with matching 4k player. I have another question for you, sir. How many avr can I use pro kit? Also, where can I buy pro kit?
post #5057 of 5061 Old 02-19-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I am a huge fun of denon Avr and blu ray players... all of my players and Avr are denon... and I am very much appreciative of your information and learning a lot from you though. I don't like 3D but I want 4k. And since denon doesn't have 4k player yet so I guess I will stick to my 5308 till they come with Avr with matching 4k player. I have another question for you, sir. How many avr can I use pro kit? Also, where can I buy pro kit?
The Pro Kit can only be used on the higher level models. The Pro Kit costs $550 and each license costs $150 (ie. total $700 for one unit). If you want to use the Pro Kit on another unit, you would have to pay the $150 license for each additional unit.

Suggest you review the following thread for more info on the Pro Kit. You also may be able to purchase it used as well at a reduced cost.

The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1)

A post within that thread provides a FAQ ...

post #5058 of 5061 Old 02-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
The Pro Kit can only be used on the higher level models. The Pro Kit costs $550 and each license costs $150 (ie. total $700 for one unit). If you want to use the Pro Kit on another unit, you would have to pay the $150 license for each additional unit.

Suggest you review the following thread for more info on the Pro Kit. You also may be able to purchase it used as well at a reduced cost.

A post within that thread provides a FAQ ...

thank you very very much for your information... I am really appreciative of your time for helping me learn a lot today... I will reconsider everything you mentioned in this post... once again, thanks...
post #5059 of 5061 Old 03-04-2017, 01:03 PM

Liked: 10
I have a 5308 CI question.

How can I improve AM radio reception on the 5308? The included loop antenna does not work well for me.

I listen to baseball on AM.

Thanks
post #5060 of 5061 Old 03-04-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSO Z View Post

How can I improve AM radio reception on the 5308? The included loop antenna does not work well for me.

Thanks
get a better antenna or find a position that works
post #5061 of 5061 Old 03-05-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSO Z View Post

Thanks
Best Buy sells several different types of AM/FM antennas to include --> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/terk-amp...?skuId=5707039
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page