*Official* Denon 5308 Thread - Page 170 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #5071 of 5089 Old 08-20-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSO Z View Post
A follow up question......

I have set the center speaker to NONE. Deion tells me this will send any center signals to the mains,

My question is can I use the AMP ASSIGN outs to create a signal for my center speaker or are they just for multi zone, etc......

I found the manual confusing on the AMP ASSIGN terminals.

BTW, the overheating seems to be gone.

Cheers and thanks for your help.
Wouldn't hurt to try. Gazing at the illustration on p88 of the user manual I just downloaded for the 5308, it would seem that you can assign the Center channel to any amp with Free assign, so you may be able to get your center channel back by just swapping a set of wires to one of your unused amps and change the assignments around in the setup gui. Ideal if you are set up for 5.1, as then you have a couple spares to work with. Otherwise, fall back from 7.1 to 5.1, probably won't miss those back channels all that much. (And use that bigger fan... or both of them.)

(My 5805 recently failed, one of the workarounds I attempted was reassigning channels through its similar free assign capability, but my issue apparently wasn't a failed amp so it didn't help me any except to figure that part out. The newer receivers seem to be so complicated that they don't (or can't) provide the same type of anything goes re-assignments that these older receivers provide, although there is still a lot of flexibility within the realm of what you can do. Not quite as much as I would like, but there you go.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 5089 Old 08-20-2017, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
Wouldn't hurt to try. Gazing at the illustration on p88 of the user manual I just downloaded for the 5308, it would seem that you can assign the Center channel to any amp with Free assign, so you may be able to get your center channel back by just swapping a set of wires to one of your unused amps and change the assignments around in the setup gui. Ideal if you are set up for 5.1, as then you have a couple spares to work with. Otherwise, fall back from 7.1 to 5.1, probably won't miss those back channels all that much. (And use that bigger fan... or both of them.)

(My 5805 recently failed, one of the workarounds I attempted was reassigning channels through its similar free assign capability, but my issue apparently wasn't a failed amp so it didn't help me any except to figure that part out. The newer receivers seem to be so complicated that they don't (or can't) provide the same type of anything goes re-assignments that these older receivers provide, although there is still a lot of flexibility within the realm of what you can do. Not quite as much as I would like, but there you go.)
fmal...,
Thank you. I'll try FREE ASSIGN.........

Another question.........In case the reassign does not work........ Would you fix the 5308 problems-no center channel and a failed switched outlet(probably a few hundred dollars, plus driving to NJ) or just get a new 4300H (less than $800 at Walmart)? And the 4300 is much lighter!

Cheers
post #5073 of 5089 Old 08-20-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
fmal...,
Thank you. I'll try FREE ASSIGN.........

Another question.........In case the reassign does not work........ Would you fix the 5308 problems-no center channel and a failed switched outlet(probably a few hundred dollars, plus driving to NJ) or just get a new 4300H (less than $800 at Walmart)? And the 4300 is much lighter!

Cheers
With my "dead to me" 5805 I decided it was time to move on (too much else going on to deal with shipping a 115lb 12 year old receiver across the country should it even be repairable). Also I'd kind of been waiting for an excuse to modernize, it dying or significantly breaking being one of the ones I had lined up. (This was just a couple months ago by the way.)

I tend towards the higher end but don't have the budget to go too crazy any more, so in the end it was between the 7200WA and the 6300H, and the 7200 won (decided the Audyssey pro installer kit was something I wanted to explore and luckily found a used one pretty cheap). The 7200 also is much lighter than the 5805 beast. And it is nice to have an up to date unit, my workarounds are no longer needed, though one or two of them are still preferable. Not sure I'm ever going to talk the wife into speakers on the living room ceiling though...

Regarding your switched outlet, one of my theories about my 5805 is that I recently started using one of its switched outlets, and when I first noticed problems with it was when I had just switched to the device that was hooked up to that switched outlet (in my case the left channel stopped working correctly or altogether in some of the various surround settings)... so probably best to avoid using it at all, even if it is just a theory. May actually be what caused your center to fail (though mine had plenty of air flow, so that's another, probably more, likely cause in your case).

To repair or not to repair, if it's just a few hundred dollars and do-able, why not? (I'm not sure that would have even covered the shipping costs for my repairs. ) Free is better though, so I'd probably stick with the (free assign) workaround as long as it worked. If on the other hand you have the bug to move on, why not? (4300 pretty sure wouldn't have been enough for my situation. My 7200's still new and I'm not quite sure about it yet but it seems to be doing pretty well so far.)

post #5074 of 5089 Old 08-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
With my "dead to me" 5805 I decided it was time to move on (too much else going on to deal with shipping a 115lb 12 year old receiver across the country should it even be repairable). Also I'd kind of been waiting for an excuse to modernize, it dying or significantly breaking being one of the ones I had lined up. (This was just a couple months ago by the way.)

I tend towards the higher end but don't have the budget to go too crazy any more, so in the end it was between the 7200WA and the 6300H, and the 7200 won (decided the Audyssey pro installer kit was something I wanted to explore and luckily found a used one pretty cheap). The 7200 also is much lighter than the 5805 beast. And it is nice to have an up to date unit, my workarounds are no longer needed, though one or two of them are still preferable. Not sure I'm ever going to talk the wife into speakers on the living room ceiling though...

Regarding your switched outlet, one of my theories about my 5805 is that I recently started using one of its switched outlets, and when I first noticed problems with it was when I had just switched to the device that was hooked up to that switched outlet (in my case the left channel stopped working correctly or altogether in some of the various surround settings)... so probably best to avoid using it at all, even if it is just a theory. May actually be what caused your center to fail (though mine had plenty of air flow, so that's another, probably more, likely cause in your case).

To repair or not to repair, if it's just a few hundred dollars and do-able, why not? (I'm not sure that would have even covered the shipping costs for my repairs. ) Free is better though, so I'd probably stick with the (free assign) workaround as long as it worked. If on the other hand you have the bug to move on, why not? (4300 pretty sure wouldn't have been enough for my situation. My 7200's still new and I'm not quite sure about it yet but it seems to be doing pretty well so far.)
To JDS or fms,
OK, I need help here with the Free Assign:
1. There are two columns- 1 is AMP and I get that. I have two free amps, since I am running 5.1. So my L and R back amps are available. The second column is CHANNEL. Does CHANNEL mean the outs (posts) or does it mean the actual signal? In other words, under CHANNEL, if I select CENTER for my R Back Amp, will it send the center signal that would normally go to the CENTER outs if my Center amp was not inop to my R Back outs?
2. Also. in Speaker Setup, I have Center set to NONE. So currently my normally center signal is going to my Front L and R speakers.
3. So how should I proceed, if I want to send my normal center signal to my Back R outs (posts).

I don't know if what I want is even possible.

As you can see I am confused between the signal and the labeled outs (posts).

Does my question even make sense?
Thanks and I really appreciate the assistance I have received.
post #5075 of 5089 Old 08-22-2017, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 385 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15326 Post(s)
Liked: 7482
Quote:
To JDS or fms,
OK, I need help here with the Free Assign:
1. There are two columns- 1 is AMP and I get that. I have two free amps, since I am running 5.1. So my L and R back amps are available. The second column is CHANNEL. Does CHANNEL mean the outs (posts) or does it mean the actual signal? In other words, under CHANNEL, if I select CENTER for my R Back Amp, will it send the center signal that would normally go to the CENTER outs if my Center amp was not inop to my R Back outs?
2. Also. in Speaker Setup, I have Center set to NONE. So currently my normally center signal is going to my Front L and R speakers.
3. So how should I proceed, if I want to send my normal center signal to my Back R outs (posts).

I don't know if what I want is even possible.

As you can see I am confused between the signal and the labeled outs (posts).

Does my question even make sense?
Thanks and I really appreciate the assistance I have received.
1. Yes.
2. Don't set it to NONE.
3. See 2 above.
post #5076 of 5089 Old 08-22-2017, 02:34 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Yes.
2. Don't set it to NONE.
3. See 2 above.
Wow! It came alive! Thank you!!!!!!!

The T8 is on it's way and should make my 5308 last another 10 years.......

Cheers
post #5077 of 5089 Old 08-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Another 5308ci question.....

I use mine for Direct Tv, concert DVD's on my 3930ci, and listening to CD/SACD's on my Sony C2000ES 5 disc changer.

Is there an optimal surround choice (DTS, Dolby, Pure Direct, etc) for each of those?

Thanks
post #5078 of 5089 Old 08-23-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Another 5308ci question.....

I use mine for Direct Tv, concert DVD's on my 3930ci, and listening to CD/SACD's on my Sony C2000ES 5 disc changer.

Is there an optimal surround choice (DTS, Dolby, Pure Direct, etc) for each of those?

Thanks
Mostly personal preference ... some prefer PURE DIRECT for music.
post #5079 of 5089 Old 08-25-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Mostly personal preference ... some prefer PURE DIRECT for music.
JDS...,

Thanks again.

The T8 arrived and is set up. I set it on SMART and left temps at 85 with probe at 80.

Any comments?

Also, is there any reason not to plug the T8 into one of the switched outlets on the 5308? It seems to work fine so far.

So grateful for your assistance that has allowed me to keep my 5308 running.

Cheers
post #5080 of 5089 Old 08-25-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
JDS...,

Thanks again.

The T8 arrived and is set up. I set it on SMART and left temps at 85 with probe at 80.

Any comments?

Also, is there any reason not to plug the T8 into one of the switched outlets on the 5308? It seems to work fine so far.

So grateful for your assistance that has allowed me to keep my 5308 running.

Cheers
1. I've got mine set to 95 as the newer models likely run warmer primarily due to the video card.
2. As long as the switched outlet remains on when the AVR goes off, no reason not to use it.
post #5081 of 5089 Old 08-25-2017, 01:10 PM

Smile

Quote:
1. I've got mine set to 95 as the newer models likely run warmer primarily due to the video card.
2. As long as the switched outlet remains on when the AVR goes off, no reason not to use it.
JDS...,

The switched outlets turn off with the receiver. I guess I'll find another power source for the T8.

Thanks
post #5082 of 5089 Old 08-25-2017, 01:24 PM

Smile

Quote:
JDS...,

The switched outlets turn off with the receiver. I guess I'll find another power source for the T8.

Thanks
It's me again... Plugged T8 to different power source so it stays on when receiver is off.

I use a SONY 5 disc changer for music. The volume difference between discs is so great as to be annoying. Is there a cure other than just adjusting the volume for each disc? I play it on SHUFFLE so that is a big nuisance.

Cheers
post #5083 of 5089 Old 08-25-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
It's me again... Plugged T8 to different power source so it stays on when receiver is off.

I use a SONY 5 disc changer for music. The volume difference between discs is so great as to be annoying. Is there a cure other than just adjusting the volume for each disc? I play it on SHUFFLE so that is a big nuisance.

Cheers
Volume adjustment would be by source input, so if the difference is between individual discs, you'll have to simply adjust based on the individual disc.
post #5084 of 5089 Old 08-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Volume adjustment would be by source input, so if the difference is between individual discs, you'll have to simply adjust based on the individual disc.
JDS,

Thank you.......
post #5085 of 5089 Old 08-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
On the T8, I sett it to 95 and it holds about 90 with the lowest fan indicator(single bar).

Ambient is about 85 in standby for the 5308.

The T8 is impressive from the ordering process to the packaging and installation. I am a little hard of hearing, so do not hear it t all.

Cheers
post #5086 of 5089 Old 08-27-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
On the T8, I sett it to 95 and it holds about 90 with the lowest fan indicator(single bar).

Ambient is about 85 in standby for the 5308.

The T8 is impressive from the ordering process to the packaging and installation. I am a little hard of hearing, so do not hear it t all.

Cheers
Excellent.
post #5087 of 5089 Old 09-01-2017, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question OTA antenna w/ 5308

I am going to show my complete ignorance here. I have a 5308 connected to an Epson projector. I'm trying to convert to OTA television and was under the impression I could just connect the OTA antenna to the 5308 via the FM coax connector. Is that correct? I'm not getting any signal, which leads me to... which input is for that connection?

Thank you!
post #5088 of 5089 Old 09-01-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by State fan View Post
I am going to show my complete ignorance here. I have a 5308 connected to an Epson projector. I'm trying to convert to OTA television and was under the impression I could just connect the OTA antenna to the 5308 via the FM coax connector. Is that correct? I'm not getting any signal, which leads me to... which input is for that connection?

Thank you!
If your projector has an OTA television tuner built in to it then you would connect the antenna to it. Only thing and antenna connected to the 5308 may get you is FM/AM radio.
post #5089 of 5089 Old 09-01-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by State fan View Post

Thank you!
Nope. AVRs don't feature TV Tuners. The only signal you might get is a FM signal if using an FM antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page