post #541 of 4988 Old 02-12-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smith View Post

I think this Pioneer does process DTS-HD Master Audio.

More Images High Res BDP-95FD
Elite® Blu-ray Disc Player with Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD® Master Audio

HDMI® 1.3a
Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master Audio Bitstream Output
Home Media Gallery

Suggested Price: $999.00

As it clearly states in your excerpt, the Pioneer only does DTS-MA bitstream - it does not internally decode the format and output it either as PCM or analog. That's what Dreamcatcher means by processing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4988 Old 02-12-2008, 01:10 PM

Does anyone know if there are any differences in terms of audio post-processing (THX, Audyssey, CinemaEQ, etc) based on whether the audio arrives via PCM over HDMI versus bitstream over HDMI?

Thanks!
post #543 of 4988 Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebanks View Post

Has anyone gone from separates to the 5308 and been unsatisfied with their decision?

I currently have a Cary Audio Cinema 11, Parasound Halo A52, and Lumagen Vision HDP for my AV needs. I am using a PS3 as a blu ray source and a Sony 777 Mega Changer as my DVD source.

My main concern is even though I know the Realta chip is much better than what I am currently using in my HDP, from what I have been reading in this thread the amount of tweaking that can be done with the 5308 for the video is fairly limited. Are you guys happy with the flexibility of the video processing in this new piece?

I can sell my 3 pieces and it will come awfully close to paying for the 5308 (within a few hundred dollars) so I am thinking about making the switch so I can enjoy the advanced codecs, etc. while I wait for separates to become more readily available that actually support deep color, DTS-HD MA, etc. but I am concerned that going from separates to a receiver may be a let down in the flexibility of tweaking in the video end, and the impact/depth of the sound going to a receiver vs a dedicated amp.

Thoughts from those with the receiver up and running?

Have you considered keeping the Parasound Halo A52 and getting the new Denon AVP-A1HDCI instead of the 5308?
post #544 of 4988 Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

Well keep in mind I've only had the 5308 in my system for a couple of days, I've had the 5805MKII for a couple of years and prior to that the Anthem D2.
The 5308 definately sounds better with lossless audio, probably because it accepts and processes bitstream. Which I'm beginning to believe sounds significately better when done by the processor versus the player, particularly DTS HDMA and DD TrueHD.

But what surprises me is how well the 5308 sounds with 2 channel material, not better than the 5805 but just as good. All the good stuff is there, soundstage, imaging, depth, excellent ability to blend mains to sub (bass management), and so on. This was something I was worried about going into the 5308 because I'm a big 2 channel guy, well pretty big, and to a lesser degree hirez multichannel audio which sounds as stellar with the 5308 as it did with the 5805 via DenonLink and the 3930.

I got the wireless up and running on the first attempt, which never happens for me. It looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my computer to take advantage of some of the other cool features like PC control and Media Files.
The 5308 wants Windows Media Player 11 which you can only get with Windows XP 2005 or newer... mines 2002 version.

More later......

dc

Any legit version of Windows XP can have SP2 and Media Player 11. Just Validate windows and download all updates on Microsoft's web page.
post #545 of 4988 Old 02-12-2008, 03:46 PM

Okay, time to eat some crow.

I got my who's doing what confused. The 2500 passes the audio info for the 5308 to decode... duh. Color me embarrassed.

Note to self: Try to comprehend what I'm reading.
post #546 of 4988 Old 02-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Off topic, but how do you like the Harmony? Any lag/missed codes like universals have been prone to over the years? Is it working seamlessly with the Denon?

I've only had it for a month as it was a Christmas gift from a friend who was sick of trying to figure out how to fire up my system with the Denon remote when he visited. So far I'm very happy and LOVE the flexibility it offers with the on-line set-up . Most of the Denon codes are repeated from earlier models as Harmony has not yet got the 5300 set-up in their database, so I have been using 2300 codes and 'learning' the extra ones I need. Certainly the best all-in-one remote I've experienced so far.
post #547 of 4988 Old 02-12-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post

Have you considered keeping the Parasound Halo A52 and getting the new Denon AVP-A1HDCI instead of the 5308?

Somewhat, but considering everything I have read has more or less indicated that the AVP-A1HDCI is exactly the same processing as the 5308 for more money it hasn't really made any sense to me.

Is it actually different internally as far as processing is concerned?
post #548 of 4988 Old 02-12-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Somewhat, but considering everything I have read has more or less indicated that the AVP-A1HDCI is exactly the same processing as the 5308 for more money it hasn't really made any sense to me.

I don't know about "exactly" but it is hard for me to justify about a third higher price for the PreAmp. This stuff isn't in the "savings pennies" camp to begin with, but that's the current difference in price, with I think more and more AVRs being used as PreAmps for feature content.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #549 of 4988 Old 02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
dem

Some additional random thoughts on the 5308:

I haven't had any more bad behavior since I did the processor reset and re-did all of my settings.

I ran a second firmware update. The first one a couple weeks ago lasted for about 3 minutes and was called, I think, "Ether WP". This new one ran for 39 minutes, during which the display said "Main Firm", "Sub Firm", "DSP1 Firm", and "DSP2 Firm". I could have these wrong since I didn't write anything down.

I don't notice any differences after the update and the web interface is still unusable, though apparently I'm the only person here who's tried it.

There's an audible "thump" from my sub whenever it's switched off, either due to muting or changing surround modes. It's a little annoying.

The speaker binding posts are really nice looking. They make me want to get fancier banana plugs.

An effective way to clean fingerprints off the front panel is to use a small amount of lens cleaner on a microfiber cloth.

I agree with others who've said the remotes aren't great, but I have a Harmony so I don't have to deal with them.

Dave
post #550 of 4988 Old 02-12-2008, 08:12 PM

Have any of you 5308 users tried the Rhapsody interface on the receiver. I am a huge Rhapsody user and really like the service. I was wondering how the Denon 5308 interfaces, behaves, and sounds with it.

I cant wait until the end of the month until my 5308 and DVD-3800BDCI arrives.

Jeff
post #551 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Somewhat, but considering everything I have read has more or less indicated that the AVP-A1HDCI is exactly the same processing as the 5308

no they are not. For example the DAC section the AVP use one chip per channel, whereas the 5308 use one for 2 channels.
post #552 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Have any of you 5308 users tried the Rhapsody interface on the receiver. I am a huge Rhapsody user and really like the service. I was wondering how the Denon 5308 interfaces, behaves, and sounds with it.

Rhapsody is great and works like a charm. It allows you to save favorites once you find the songs and albums you want. Sound quality is very impressive. The Denon has a 'restorer' setting which is designed to improve the sound of compressed audio files by " restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression " according to the manual. The biggest drawback is spelling out the titles you want to search with the up and down buttons on the remote rather than a keyboard, but that's hardly a Denon flaw.
post #553 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 PM

Just wondering if anyone has had a real chance to
A/B the Yamaha RX-Z11 and this new Denon?
Since the Yamaha has a 5 yr warr, 11.2 channels, and costs less, I would really like to know which is the better performer.
post #554 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by c722 View Post

no they are not. For example the DAC section the AVP use one chip per channel, whereas the 5308 use one for 2 channels.

I'm still trying to determine where this info came from. Can you provide a source? (The comparison between the two on Denon's site indicates the same specs for both units). Thanks.

Jim
post #555 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

I haven't had any more bad behavior since I did the processor reset and re-did all of my settings.

It refused to turn on again once today. Hmmm.

Quote:

I ran a second firmware update. The first one a couple weeks ago lasted for about 3 minutes and was called, I think, "Ether WP". This new one ran for 39 minutes, during which the display said "Main Firm", "Sub Firm", "DSP1 Firm", and "DSP2 Firm". I could have these wrong since I didn't write anything down.

Seems I've lost my Audyssey setup and manual EQ settings. I saved my settings before the firmware update so when I get a chance I'll restore them and see if they come back.

Dave
post #556 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 04:16 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post

I'm still trying to determine where this info came from. Can you provide a source? (The comparison between the two on Denon's site indicates the same specs for both units).

The spec sheets say the 5308 uses 2 DACs per channel and the AVP uses 4 DACs per channel. I don't know how many DACs per chip there are for the chip in question, but I think it's the same chip for both units.

Dave
post #557 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 04:26 PM
dem

Have any other 5308 owners noticed occasional periods of jittery video? It looks like video frames are being dropped. It's more apparent on HD sources, but I've seen it on SD as well.

So far I've only noticed this on my HD DirecTiVo, which is connected to the 5308 using component inputs and sending 1080i (the HDMI port on the TiVo failed some time ago). I can't prove that it isn't the TiVo or TV that are causing this.

Dave
post #558 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 05:06 PM
dem

Quote:

Seems I've lost my Audyssey setup and manual EQ settings. I saved my settings before the firmware update so when I get a chance I'll restore them and see if they come back.

It worked.

So remember to back up your settings before running a firmware update.

Dave
post #559 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It worked.

So remember to back up your settings before running a firmware update.

The needing to reset seems to be a recurring theme. I was hoping for greater stability, even understanding tht this is recently released.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #560 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

The spec sheets say the 5308 uses 2 DACs per channel and the AVP uses 4 DACs per channel. I don't know how many DACs per chip there are for the chip in question, but I think it's the same chip for both units.

Thanks Dave.

Jim
post #561 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 06:44 PM
dem

Quote:

Have any other 5308 owners noticed occasional periods of jittery video?

This appears to be caused by the 5308 "i/p scaler" function.

One place the jitters are really obvious is when there's a text crawl on the screen, such as on a news channel. The text becomes blurry and nearly unreadable.

With the TiVo I'm able to replay sections of video where the jitters occur and try different settings. I don't see jitters when I bypass the 5308 by running component video cables directly to the TV. I also don't see it when I disable the 5308 i/p scaler.

In my case I'm not sure I'm getting a benefit from the scaler by using it on a component 1080i signal with the receiver outputting 1080i over HDMI.

But other owners may want to be on the lookout for flawed behavior from the Realta.

Dave
post #562 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Have any other 5308 owners noticed occasional periods of jittery video? It looks like video frames are being dropped. It's more apparent on HD sources, but I've seen it on SD as well.

So far I've only noticed this on my HD DirecTiVo, which is connected to the 5308 using component inputs and sending 1080i (the HDMI port on the TiVo failed some time ago). I can't prove that it isn't the TiVo or TV that are causing this.

Hi Dem,

Another member with the Onkyo 875 (using the HQV Reon) had similar stuttering video with the Tivo resolution set to a fixed 1080i, but it went away after he had set it to "native". You may want to try that and let us know if it worked for you. I'm currently experiencing the stuttering video only with film based 1080i material through my Onkyo 875 coming from a Dish 722 DVR. Unfortunately it doesn't have the native resolution setting (yet).
post #563 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccio View Post

Another member with the Onkyo 875 (using the HQV Reon) had similar stuttering video with the Tivo resolution set to a fixed 1080i, but it went away after he had set it to "native".

Very interesting! Thanks for the information.

I don't have a native setting, but perhaps I'll try 720p. My set has 788 lines so it's not clear to me whether I'm better off sending it 1080i or 720p.

Dave
post #564 of 4988 Old 02-13-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Very interesting! Thanks for the information.

I don't have a native setting, but perhaps I'll try 720p. My set has 788 lines so it's not clear to me whether I'm better off sending it 1080i or 720p.

Hi Dem,

720p should work better for you as it is closer to your 788p resolution. So did the stuttering go away? One more thing, what kind of material (type of programming - HD primetime shows, movies, etc.) are you getting the stuttering on 1080i?
post #565 of 4988 Old 02-14-2008, 12:08 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Hi Dem,
720p should work better for you as it is closer to your 788p resolution. So did the stuttering go away? One more thing, what kind of material (type of programming - HD primetime shows, movies, etc.) are you getting the stuttering on 1080i?

And off the topic quickly -- dem: why haven't you been upgraded to the new DirecTV HD DVR? Your old HD channels are still working? The new DVR definitely isn't as nice as TiVo, but the video seems a bit more stable and the added MPEG-4 channels are nice. I think everyone pretty much lost the HDMI port on those old units -- talk about a defect.
post #566 of 4988 Old 02-14-2008, 03:50 AM
dem

Quote:

I haven't seen stuttering yet with the TiVo sending 720p and the 5308 sending 720p to the TV.

I was seeing a lot of stuttering watching a basketball game on ESPN SD last night. I could also see it on the CNN news ticker at the bottom of the screen. I first noticed it watching the news on NBC HD.

Dave
post #567 of 4988 Old 02-14-2008, 03:58 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismic View Post

And off the topic quickly -- dem: why haven't you been upgraded to the new DirecTV HD DVR? Your old HD channels are still working?

I've been holding out for a deal from DirecTV. The last time I called them they wanted a $300 fee and over $100 more per year for the privilege of leasing a receiver to replace the one I paid $900 for, one that they are making obsolete. So far the few HD channels I care most about are still working, but that may change in a few months.

Dave
post #568 of 4988 Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhollywood View Post

Picture adjustments are as follows : contrast / brightness / chroma level / hue / DNR / enhancer / sharpness.

I have only played with DNR and enhancer for SD discs. Enhancer does seem to improve soft transfers without adding significant edge enhancement. To my eye it brings out some fine grain in film transfers which to some may not be a good thing but I have never been bothered by a proper film look.

I don't fiddle with any of these on HD content because it all looks so perfect without touching anything.

Sorry, but I have never owned a stand-alone video processor to compare this to.

any AR ratio adjustment?
post #569 of 4988 Old 02-15-2008, 03:18 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedtsc View Post

any AR ratio adjustment?

When the scaler is turned on, which is the default for analog input sources, then you can select Full or Normal for Aspect for input signals less than 720p. Full, the default, is a simple stretch.

Dave
post #570 of 4988 Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM
dem

Quote:

It refused to turn on again once today. Hmmm.

It refused again today, and this time after I cycled the main power switch all settings were reset to factory defaults. So I think I've had about enough of this particular unit.

Dave
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 5308ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page