post #631 of 4994 Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

My 5308CI arrived yeasterday afternoon. I spent this morning setting it up. So far the unit is impressive. I don't like the remote control in the least. I have a Philips Pronto TSU7000 which I will be using to handle the day to day operation. I have the 5308 connected to the following:

Sony VPL-VW50 1080p front projector
Marantz DV7001 universal disc player (HDMI 1080p)
Oppo Digital 970HD universal disc player (HDMI 480i)
Sony 995 400 Disc DVD Jukebox (component 480i)
Sony PS3 (HDMI 1080p 24 fps blu-ray playback)
Samsung 1400 (blu-ray player) HDMI (1080p 24 fps) bitstream high rez. audio
Toshiba HD XA2 (HD DVD Player) HDMI 1080p 24 fps bitstream high rez. audio
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD high def. DVR (480i/720p/1080i) HDMI

The unit is set to output all incoming video to the projector at 1080p. From what I have seen thus far image quality is excellent. I cued up The Matrix Reloaded on HD DVD (Dolby TrueHD via bitream) and Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer (DTS-HD Master Audio via bitstream) and sound quality is superb.

The unit looks great so far and I am pleased with what I have seen.

Regards,

So, did you set it up with Audyssey?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4994 Old 02-29-2008, 09:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tross View Post

Cadmandigital4u, So how do you like your setup - I assume that you have had ample time to test things out by now? How did audyssey do with your bi-amping?

I wish I could tell you. I'm still waiting for my unit. According to my dealer and Denon, there has only been one shipment of the 5308 out of Japan of a couple of hundred or less. The shipment that was due in Feb has been delayed.

Unfotunatly for me, I have already paid my dealer or I would just pick one up at 6th ave.

The delayed shipment is alegedly due in by mid March.

If anyone has better info than this, I'd like to hear it.

More Afraid of Liberals than Terrorists.
post #633 of 4994 Old 02-29-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadmanDigital4U View Post

I wish I could tell you. I'm still waiting for my unit. According to my dealer and Denon, there has only been one shipment of the 5308 out of Japan of a couple of hundred or less. The shipment that was due in Feb has been delayed.

Unfotunatly for me, I have already paid my dealer or I would just pick one up at 6th ave.

The delayed shipment is alegedly due in by mid March.

If anyone has better info than this, I'd like to hear it.

Mine arrived this week (from Japan) and is in my dealer hands now. I'm picking it up later today Hopefully your wait will be over soon.
post #634 of 4994 Old 02-29-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Mine arrived this week (from Japan) and is in my dealer hands now. I'm picking it up later today Hopefully your wait will be over soon.

I contacted my dealer and he assured my no shipments have been receive from Japan.

Perhaps your dealer is doing like mine is attempting to do: trying to get a unit from 6th Ave or some other retailer.

By the way, who is your dealer?

post #635 of 4994 Old 02-29-2008, 06:01 PM

Wed of this week...
post #636 of 4994 Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:

I contacted my dealer and he assured my no shipments have been receive from Japan.

Perhaps your dealer is doing like mine is attempting to do: trying to get a unit from 6th Ave or some other retailer.

By the way, who is your dealer?

I have it in my hands now - Although I won't be able to hook it up for 2 more hours as my wife is demanding dinner out tonight. My dealer is Modia Home Theater (formerly Home Theater Store) in Austin.

Based on the Fedex labels/addresses on my box, it was received in LA last week, then shipped to Houston, then Austin.
post #637 of 4994 Old 02-29-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docderwood View Post

Wed of this week...

May I ask where you got it from?

Was this on order for a long time?

Thanks.

post #638 of 4994 Old 02-29-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:

May I ask where you got it from?

Was this on order for a long time?

Thanks.

On order about 10 days from ABT in Chicago...
post #639 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 03:46 AM

It is worth the wait I have had mine for about a month now ....It as a great unit bi amping and all heck it even offers in its setup a bi wire setup..
post #640 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I just set mine up last night. I connected everything and just ran Audyssey for 6 positions immediately.

When I went back to review, it has set my Klipsch Ultra II speakers at 60hz for the FR and FL, 40hz for the center, and 105 hz (i think) for the dipole surrounds. I then went into the crossovers and set all of these to 80 hz. I also set the sub to be Ultra II compatible since it is the SVS PB13Ultra.

After setting these to 80hz, I went back and looked at Audyssey and it still says the original crossover values. Do I need to rerun Audyssey with these settings?
post #641 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 AM

WOW!!! I've spent a few hours now with my 5308. It really is better than the 4308ci. I was second guessing my decision to upgrade cause I was very happy with the 4308. Now I know that I made the right decision. The 5308 rocks!! Audessey did a great job balancing everything. On the 4308 (and other receivers that I've tested) the bass would be set too low - Not on the 5308. No problems other than it still recognizing my center as large (I'm using the Klipsch RF-83 system w/ an RC-64 center).

The video upscaling is awesome. The On Screen Display works at all resolutions. So far no noticeable problems - I'm going to be watching closely over the next few days.

I've run Audessey 2 times. The first time I only used a single listening position and the SQ was great. The second time I used 8 listening positions and again the sound was awesome. The front speaker were balanced better when using 8 listening positions. After both times, I had to change my center to small and set the cross over to 80 (the 5308 picked 60 for my surrounds, which is what I usually set them too). I didn't have any problems with the setting changing back (like hifiaudio2 described - all I did was hit return after changing the settings). I'm not using an UltraII sub so I didn't enable the THX sub feature. I am however using 2 separate subs (5.2 setup). I'm using the 2SP mix setting. I love the fact that the 5308 can manage 3 separate subs independently.

So far I've been listening to my BD movies in LPCM in THX mode. My Pioneer won't allow me to use THX on LPCM, so I was very happy to see that the 5308 will allow this - and it sounds awesome (have I said that already)? Looks like the 5308 has Dynamic EQ enabled by default - which is a good thing (you don't need a pro installer to use this feature).

I know that there are a lot of people complaining about the various firmware anomalies on Denons. I didn't have any issues with the firmware upgrade on the 5308 - which is the very first thing I did after connecting power (upgraded via the Ethernet port - not wifi). It took ~40 minutes to complete. I upgraded the firmware 2 times on my old 4308 and both times I had to restart the unit manually after the upgrades. The 5308, restarted itself automatically.

Once again - info in the manual is lacking. Same old strange Denon remotes - all though the main remote has grown on me.

So far, I'm very happy with the 5308.
post #642 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

So the settings I choose stay there in the "crossover settings" menu, but when I go back to the Audyssey menu they are still 60hz and 40hz.
post #643 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 11:42 AM

For those of you with 2 subs, what settings are you using? Doesn't seem to make much difference between 2SP mix vs 2SP L/R? BTW - I found that if you change from 2SP L/R to mix, the dB setting from Audessey are lost - kinda frustrating.
post #644 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 11:43 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

After setting these to 80hz, I went back and looked at Audyssey and it still says the original crossover values. Do I need to rerun Audyssey with these settings?

Re-running Audyssey will clear your settings. Are the settings still there in the Manual Setup menu?

Dave
post #645 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:

So the settings I choose stay there in the "crossover settings" menu, but when I go back to the Audyssey menu they are still 60hz and 40hz.

I'll check mine, but can you walk me through the menu and tell me specifically which screen Audyssey screen you see? I can't find any other areas to view the cross-over other than the "Crossover Freq." under "SPEAKER SETUP".
post #646 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

"Are the settings still there in the Manual Setup menu?"

Yeah they are still there on that menu. So I was hoping Audyssey would pick them up and "retroactively" use those settings.. apparently not.

"I'll check mine, but can you walk me through the menu and tell me specifically which screen Audyssey screen you see? I can't find any other areas to view the cross-over other than the "Crossover Freq." under "SPEAKER SETUP"

I was going into the Audysset setup menu and checking the settings it had chosen. Im not looking at it now so not sure exactly what its called.
post #647 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 12:15 PM
dem

Quote:

Yeah they are still there on that menu. So I was hoping Audyssey would pick them up and "retroactively" use those settings.. apparently not.

I'm pretty sure Audyssey uses those settings, it's just that what you're looking at in the Auto Setup menu are the results of the Audyssey scan.

Dave
post #648 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 PM

Hmm, instead of poking all around the Internet, I decided to just ask..

The 5308 has a transducer "Channel Level". Its hard to tell a difference when changing the level. So what does this actually do?
post #649 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 05:32 PM

Help! Just setting up my 5308 and 2500. Not sure what I am doing wrong but I can't get a picture on the 5308. I have everything connected via HDMI. I hear the audio from the 2500 but cannot see a picture. It says no signal. Any tips? I have the hdmi assigned to the correct source for the dvd. Been working on it almost an hour. Thanks.
Ed
post #650 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 06:22 PM

Duh. How can anyone be so stupid??? I just found my answer. Dumb me forgot to check the input of the display. It was set for Component instead of HDMI. Just wasn't thinking of the obvious I guess. Well on to Audyssey setup.
post #651 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherby View Post

Help! Just setting up my 5308 and 2500. Not sure what I am doing wrong but I can't get a picture on the 5308. I have everything connected via HDMI. I hear the audio from the 2500 but cannot see a picture. It says no signal. Any tips? I have the hdmi assigned to the correct source for the dvd. Been working on it almost an hour. Thanks.
Ed

Make sure you've selected the correct HDMI output, 1,2 or Auto.
Make sure your HDMI cable is good, should be if you're getting audio.
Make sure the resolution you're using is compatiable with your display.

dc

EDIT.... oh yeah check your display input

StayThristyMyFriends
post #652 of 4994 Old 03-01-2008, 08:41 PM

Anyone have details regarding the "Transducer" level settings on the 5308? Like what differences we should hear when adjusting the levels?
post #653 of 4994 Old 03-02-2008, 12:28 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

OMG.

I picked up a 5308 last week and finally finished setting everything up. It replaced a Lexicon MC-1, a Crystalio II and two Carver AV-705x 5x125 amps.

Ran Audyssey on six positions using a camera tripod to hold the mic. Tweaked some speaker sizes and cross-over frequencies, but that's all. The results just blow me away. It's like I've never actually had surround sound in my theater until today. It's that much of an improvement. (And, yes, the Lexicon had been balanced using an SPL). The sound is all encompassing. The bass is tight and accurate. It really tamed my subwoofer, which had been a bit problematic previously.

Just finished watching Live Free or Die Hard, my first Blu-Ray. The DTS-HD MA augmented with DPL IIx for my 7.1 setup was just amazing. Fed the video from a BD-30 to a VPL-VW100 through the Denon, but left the image processing turned off. Picture was stunning.

/jab
post #654 of 4994 Old 03-02-2008, 02:09 AM

I found that if I bi-amp the 5308, it will disable the Audyssey room EQ, so effectively, Audyssey room correction is bypassed and of course the sound is horrible.

In the Audyssey Auto Setup, you can select amp config such as bi-amp. But the Audyssey room EQ is disabled afterwards so it really looks strange to me and I think it is a bug in the firmware.
post #655 of 4994 Old 03-02-2008, 04:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Hmm, instead of poking all around the Internet, I decided to just ask..

The 5308 has a transducer "Channel Level". Its hard to tell a difference when changing the level. So what does this actually do?

Guess you did not try poking around on page 40, item #10, of the owners manual either.......
But I guess we can sorta/kinda let it slide, as Denon did not tell you what a transducer is.

Even if you used the transducer option correctly and have it hooked up to what it is intended for, (and I'm betting you don't) if you're looking to hear a difference by changing the level, you won't. The transducer function option in the setup menu is for when you have a tactical transducer/shaker setup, such as buttkickers or one of the Clark Synthesis models or any other brands of "shakers" hooked up to the SW3 output. And if you do have one of them hooked up, then you would notice the difference by feeling it and not hearing it.
post #656 of 4994 Old 03-02-2008, 05:00 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro View Post

I found that if I bi-amp the 5308, it will disable the Audyssey room EQ, so effectively, Audyssey room correction is bypassed and of course the sound is horrible.

I bi-amp and (sometimes) use Audyssey, so they're not mutually exclusive. Try setting bi-amp in Manual Setup first, then plug in the microphone and run Auto Setup.

Dave
post #657 of 4994 Old 03-02-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

I bi-amp and (sometimes) use Audyssey, so they're not mutually exclusive. Try setting bi-amp in Manual Setup first, then plug in the microphone and run Auto Setup.

Hi Dave,

I've done that, and it still would not use Audyssey. If you look under Tone menu (with bi-amp turned on), and looking under Room EQ, you'll see that you only have OFF or Manual. Those Audyssey, Audyssey Flat, etc. choices are unavailable.
post #658 of 4994 Old 03-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Hi Dave,

I've done that, and it still would not use Audyssey. If you look under Tone menu (with bi-amp turned on), and looking under Room EQ, you'll see that you only have OFF or Manual. Those Audyssey, Audyssey Flat, etc. choices are unavailable.

FWIW, I bi-amp and use Audyssey on my 5805. No problem. But yeah, you have to configure these ampilfication settings prior to (re-)running Audyssey.
post #659 of 4994 Old 03-02-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Hi Dave,

Hi Kuro.

Tell us a little about your setup, such as what equipment you have and how you have the amp assign and pre-out assign configured.

I've put together a 9.2 system for home theater and multi-channel audio.

I have a pair of JL Audio Gothams, an Earthquake Sound Cinenova Seven seven channel amp (300 wpc) and the following Klipsch speakers:

(6) RF-83 mains (FR, FL, Side Surround "A" right and left, Surround Back right and left)
(2) RS-62 Side Surround "B" right and left
(1) Rc-64 Center

I also have a Mitsubishi WD-73833 HDTV, PS3 80 GB, Xbox 360 Elite, Directv HR-21 HD DVR, and an Oppo Dv-980H for SACD and DVD audio.

I should be getting my Denon AVR-5308 CI receiver any day now. I've been waiting since early December.

I'm going to bi-amp the Center, Left and Right fronts, and the Surround "A" Right and Left speakers.

With the Amp assign feature, assignable pre-outputs, and Variable High/Low Pass Crossover Points of the receiver I think this will be a cinch.

The seven channel amp also has Variable High/Low Pass Crossover at the input section.

The 5308 will drive the upper range, and the Cinenova will drive the lower range.

post #660 of 4994 Old 03-02-2008, 10:39 AM
dem

Quote:

I have all the options available, except in Direct mode.

Dave
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page