*Official* Denon 5308 Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4988 Old 03-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The heating issues others are having are strange. I owned the Denon 5805ci and it ran extremely hot (could not place your hands on the unit without 1st degree burns) and I kinda expected the 5308ci to run the same but to my surprise it runs slightly warm but no where near hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4988 Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I saw online and in the Denon book (which I have found to that there is a way to save your setup for AVR, but the AVS online info and the denon book (poorly written) requires me to request from you a clearer and more concise explanation on how to do this, please.

gfortune, your request obviously got lost in your post and didn't get answered. I went looking and would also like an answer. Incidentally, I'm a disabled Vet too and understand your frustration.

I realize that this unit is a sophisticated AVR and the manual couldn't be all encompassing without looking like the L.A. phonebook. I also realize that at this level, a certain amount of experience is needed if not assumed. The manual covers each and every function, but there are subtleties that can be missed without careful reading, especially for a guy with a new toy.

So, for the folks out there who've used numerous and varied AVR's/Pre/Pro's, how would you rate (1-10) the 5308's set-up difficulty? Use AVR in a box as a benchmark.

Edited to add: Thanks Dem. Next time, I'll make sure I'm on the last page before posting
post #813 of 4988 Old 03-16-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Jay View Post

So, for the folks out there who've used numerous and varied AVR's/Pre/Pro's, how would you rate (1-10) the 5308's set-up difficulty? Use AVR in a box as a benchmark.

Despite the alarming amount of lemons... as Dem has noticed, no one is returning them for something else.
Set up is very difficult, but thats what happens when you have every imaginable feature and configurability I can think of.
This is not for the average user IMO, but I wouldn't trade it for nothing!
post #814 of 4988 Old 03-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Sometimes I think the HT in a box are the hardest to set up. They just don't make sense. The 5308 was difficult at first. Just did not seem intuitive. Especially the main remote. The auxiliary one seems easier. However once you get the hang of it and how it is set up it really becomes easy. I am just blown away how much better the sound is with Audyssey. This is the best sound I have ever had with my HT. The other wonderful thing is the HDMI switching works every time. It always does what it is suppose to do. I have everything programmed on my 850 Universal Remote.
post #815 of 4988 Old 03-16-2008, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

Your are on track with the 2 SP Mix setting. I run two subs as well and the L+R setting didn't offer the same SPL in my room. The 2SP Mix setting was considerably better.

Try them both and see which you prefer as it is hard to determine without physically trying it.

Regards,

I found an interesting bug... When switching back and forth between the two sub settings, sub levels are reset to 0 for the new setting and revert back to the proper level upon returning to the original setting. This can give perceived differences in quality.
post #816 of 4988 Old 03-16-2008, 06:08 PM

Johnla,

I have yet to see the contract. I will ask for it. I am afraid they probably have me over a barrel, because I trusted the installer to do the job right the first time. I seller indicated to me yesterday that they did not receive ANY training on installing this Denon unit.

But they do cater to affluent owners. But even now, on a disabled veteran fix income, I still know many people who I will not refer them to, and they will live or die by their reputation, since they are small company fighting with the BBs and the Ultimates in my area for survival. I did make it clear I was not able to pay for "cost plus bids" but ethics seems to be not to be part of their company. My son was helping me even today to help pull out useless wiring, and trying to get the remote to work correctly. I am expecting this company to not stand by their work.

Thank you all for help in backing up my settings, which I got to work.

I am still having settings change without any real reason, including the HDMI connections.

Last, this remote is less than adequate in my opinion. I am wondering if the enhanced remote being sold by Denon is a better option?

Also, how will changing the name of a connected unit affect the use of the remote?

Thanks for all the adivce.
post #817 of 4988 Old 03-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Jay-Jay, I hope your holding your own on VA disability. I appreciate your information. If people really knew how bad the vet was being treated by the VA, and the sacrifice we gave for our country, you would think that these dealers would not try to take advantage of us. But I am getting off-topic but I will never again do business with a dealer again unless every detail is spelled out in writing.

The funny thing is, the ISF calibrator was willing to stand by his original verbal bid even though it took us both 3 hours to clean up the installer's mess enough for him to calibrate my TV.
post #818 of 4988 Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 AM

I've had the unit for about two weeks, overall very pleased with it. It's my 3rd Denon, and like all the others, the manual sucks as do the remotes.

Here's my problem:

I have created a second zone and can listen to the onboard tuner fine. However, when I go to listen to any other sources, it doesn't work.

An example is my HR20 Directv receiver. It is connected to the unit via Component/Optical and my AppleTV (HDMI only).

Shouldn't I be able to listen to these sources in the other zone?

Addictionally, can I listen to the same source in both zones@ the same time?

Thx for any insight. I've tried to find any nuances in the manual w/o success.

dj
post #819 of 4988 Old 03-17-2008, 10:25 AM

I got my third 5308 yesterday and it works just fine! My patience paid off this time. I noticed that this unit operates a lot cooler than the first two units. I found out that these receivers are hand assembled, maybe something got overlooked on the first units. Anyway I look forward to hours of enjoyment from one awesome receiver!
post #820 of 4988 Old 03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diversifiedesi View Post

I got my third 5308 yesterday and it works just fine! My patience paid off this time. I noticed that this unit operates a lot cooler than the first two units. I found out that these receivers are hand assembled, maybe something got overlooked on the first units. Anyway I look forward to hours of enjoyment from one awesome receiver!

There were reports in the Denon Pre/Pro thread about a possible recall from overheating units.... I wonder if that was meant towards us? Can any Denon dealers look into this?
Like I said before, the first day I used it, it heated up my entire basement and had a strange odor. Its been fine since.
post #821 of 4988 Old 03-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

I found an interesting bug... When switching back and forth between the two sub settings, sub levels are reset to 0 for the new setting and revert back to the proper level upon returning to the original setting. This can give perceived differences in quality.

Greetings,

Shamus, thanks for your post. What I was referring to was in my initial setup of the 5308CI I opted for the 2SP L/R subwoofer setting. I found that the overall output lacked the punch and depth that I was accustomed to in my room. I am very familar with the acoustics in my room and this didn't sound right.

I then changed to the 2SP Mix and recalibrated. The quality of the sound was noticeably better and along the lines of what I would normally hear and feel within my room.

I am still working on Audyssey. I have run it several times and I have yet to be happy with the overall sound. It routinely adjusts the surrounds to be overpowering. I don't mean that it blows you out of your seat but I mean that it is distracting to me and it slightly drowns out the center channel.

The Dynamic EQ setting exacerbates this and makes the sub too hot. I am still experimenting with it but I can tell you that my feelings right now are to leave Audyssey out of the picture.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #822 of 4988 Old 03-17-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ralph!
post #823 of 4988 Old 03-17-2008, 03:12 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by docderwood View Post

I have created a second zone and can listen to the onboard tuner fine. However, when I go to listen to any other sources, it doesn't work.

Are you talking about using the analog audio feed to Zone 2?

I don't think HDMI audio can be fed to any zone in any format. S/PDIF should work, but maybe not if multichannel audio is involved.

I send analog and digital audio to my second zone, but I haven't tried it when the input source is other than stereo PCM over S/PDIF.

Dave
post #824 of 4988 Old 03-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tross View Post

2 of my "issues" are resolved.

...I disabled the power save option under the network settings and instantly it connected. ... Only disabling the power save option fixed it.

I too had lots of difficulty with the Wireless capability and ultimately gave up and ran 100 feet of CAT5 through walls, floors and ceiling to connect reliably via wired connection.

What does Power Save option do? The manual is... oh so clear.
post #825 of 4988 Old 03-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

I am still working on Audyssey. I have run it several times and I have yet to be happy with the overall sound. It routinely adjusts the surrounds to be overpowering. I don't mean that it blows you out of your seat but I mean that it is distracting to me and it slightly drowns out the center channel.

The Dynamic EQ setting exacerbates this and makes the sub too hot. I am still experimenting with it but I can tell you that my feelings right now are to leave Audyssey out of the picture.

Are you pointing the microphone in any particular direction?
post #826 of 4988 Old 03-17-2008, 05:43 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrey View Post

What does Power Save option do? The manual is... oh so clear.

When Power Save is turned off the network functions of the receiver remain active when in Standby. This lets you turn the receiver on from the web interface, which otherwise isn't possible.

Strangely the optical digital outputs remain on in Standby when Power Save is off. I don't know what purpose this serves.

Dave
post #827 of 4988 Old 03-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Liked: 12
Well, I just returned from taking my 5308 back to my dealer. I'm suposed to get my replacement by this Friday. I hope that is true since I've already been waiting for 3 months.

More Afraid of Liberals than Terrorists.
post #828 of 4988 Old 03-17-2008, 05:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

When Power Save is turned off the network functions of the receiver remain active when in Standby. This lets you turn the receiver on from the web interface, which otherwise isn't possible.

Strangely the optical digital outputs remain on in Standby when Power Save is off. I don't know what purpose this serves.

Maybe the indicators being lit show the outputs are active for other zones?

More Afraid of Liberals than Terrorists.
post #829 of 4988 Old 03-17-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

Are you talking about using the analog audio feed to Zone 2?

I don't think HDMI audio can be fed to any zone in any format. S/PDIF should work, but maybe not if multichannel audio is involved.

I send analog and digital audio to my second zone, but I haven't tried it when the input source is other than stereo PCM over S/PDIF.

I am using digital optical from the HR20....no joy getting the *amp* (Not the Zone 2 RCA out) to play sound , as soon as I switch to the Tuner, sound works on the speakers using the onboard Amp. APPLE TV no joy listening either, but it is HDMI,
post #830 of 4988 Old 03-18-2008, 06:31 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Unfortunaltey found out today that I will be waiting awhile for the AVP-a1HD pre-amp on which i paid a deposit in January.I've had enough waiting and now going for the 5308(AVC-A1HD) which i will be picking up next week.I will still be using it as a pre-amp connected to my Nad M25.By looking at the specs I found they are both very similar.The only thing I find different is the pre-amp has and extra torodial transformer,and XLR inpus outputs(which I won't be using) while the 5308 has the speakers outputs which I won't be using either.Am I missing anything else or is that really the only difference? How many memebers are using this as a pre-amp also? Sorry not going through the thread but it's quite long and this is this is the thread that I will be hanging around alot in now.I have a Denon Avc-A1XVA connected to my Nad M25 and is superb.

Frank

post #831 of 4988 Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 PM

We should start a support group...I just ordered mine today...will be here in 4 to 6 LONG weeks...:-)

D.
post #832 of 4988 Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

There were reports in the Denon Pre/Pro thread about a possible recall from overheating units.... I wonder if that was meant towards us? Can any Denon dealers look into this?

And according to this, Jeff Talmadge who is the North American product manager for Denon, has said that those reports are totally false also.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=120
post #833 of 4988 Old 03-18-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

And according to this, Jeff Talmadge who is the North American product manager for Denon, has said that those reports are totally false also.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=120

Maybe Jeff can update his pinned thread so it isn't 3 hand. Maybe it's opening jitters that have more than a couple people going through more than a couple units each. No company wants bad buzz at launch because it's hard to shake, but being up front discussing defect rate can still address the fact that there isn't a large engineering change.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #834 of 4988 Old 03-19-2008, 12:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well even if it's only a rumor and he really is concerned about it, as that posts stated he is. Then he should indeed address it in his own thread ASAP, now that he knows about it, and also in this thread as well as the two for the AVP. If he lets it grow too much more, it's bound to gain wings and be in other various forums all over the net in a short amount of time, if it is not allready. If it's only a rumor it certainly is not a great thing to have it spread around all over the net by people, on a $7k product that was just released and still somewhat hard to get. And if there is a problem, then he should be up front about it ASAP also, and address that as well.
post #835 of 4988 Old 03-19-2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

If it's only a rumor it certainly is not a great thing to have it spread around all over the net by people, on a $7k product that was just released and still somewhat hard to get. And if there is a problem, then he should be up front about it ASAP also, and address that as well.

I just ordered the 5308. I sure hope I get a good one. All of these reports about the products being defective have me a bit nervous.
post #836 of 4988 Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorefours View Post

We should start a support group...I just ordered mine today...will be here in 4 to 6 LONG weeks...:-)

D.

My one should be next week.Talked to Denon Rep he told me there getting software updates.I did not realise these amps were already been updated.

Frank

post #837 of 4988 Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Unfortunaltey found out today that I will be waiting awhile for the AVP-a1HD pre-amp on which i paid a deposit in January.I've had enough waiting and now going for the 5308(AVC-A1HD) which i will be picking up next week.I will still be using it as a pre-amp connected to my Nad M25.By looking at the specs I found they are both very similar.The only thing I find different is the pre-amp has and extra torodial transformer,and XLR inpus outputs(which I won't be using) while the 5308 has the speakers outputs which I won't be using either.Am I missing anything else or is that really the only difference? How many memebers are using this as a pre-amp also? Sorry not going through the thread but it's quite long and this is this is the thread that I will be hanging around alot in now.I have a Denon Avc-A1XVA connected to my Nad M25 and is superb.

To answer my own question I did a comparison between the two and found them very similar.I went to the denon website(U.S.A) and I'd say there 98% very similar.The only difference I found were the Torodial transformer the pre-amp has the xtra one and speaker outputs.Is there anyone on this thread that is using a 5308 as a pre-amp?

Frank

post #838 of 4988 Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To answer my own question I did a comparison between the two and found them very similar.I went to the denon website(U.S.A) and I'd say there 98% very similar.The only difference I found were the Torodial transformer the pre-amp has the xtra one and speaker outputs.Is there anyone on this thread that is using a 5308 as a pre-amp?

If I recall, some may be using seperate amps to power the the fronts. The beautiful thing about this receiver is you can assign any amp to any speaker. (like the 5805 could)
post #839 of 4988 Old 03-19-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Am I missing anything else or is that really the only difference? .

Have a look at this interview with Jaff Talmadge (DenonJeff). I think it will help answer your questions:

http://www.listenup.com/content/part...n/talmadge.php

Cheers,

Doug
post #840 of 4988 Old 03-19-2008, 04:20 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

If I recall, some may be using seperate amps to power the the fronts. The beautiful thing about this receiver is you can assign any amp to any speaker. (like the 5805 could)

Has there been any known issue about the 5308? I know about the avp issue which I think its not true.The guys have not complained of any.

Frank

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 5308ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page