AVS Forum banner

*Official* Denon 5308 Thread

598K views 5K replies 415 participants last post by  chris bryant 
#1 ·
Please post any and all related info here!

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla /forum/post/0

Quit whining about the pricing of the Denon pre-pro! They are not the only ones asking $7k+ for a higher end pre-pro. And those others are not having any problems with selling them, the Anthem D2's were even on a long backorder due to very good sales. And those other ones in that price range like the D2, are also the ones who they will be competing against. And your argument that it should be less than a 5308 is weak also, you are only basing that on a pair of back panel pictures. You really do not know if the pre-pro is the exact same inside as a 5308 is but without the amps. I'd bet that it is not. You pretty much are making excuses and only just wishing that you could get the exact equivalent of a 5308 but in a pre-pro for less than a 5308, well it looks like that is not going happen for you. If you don't want to pay the asking price of either the new pre-pro or the 5308, then just look to some other brand. Because Denon is probably not going to be changing their pricing structure.

If you live close to the NJ/NY boarder, you can easily pick up any of Denons products for 25-28% off from any number of sellers. The new 5308 will probably be in the low 4,000s by the end of the year. Denons usually either shutdown right after you turn them on or last for years. I think saving 1,500 dollars is worth the chance.

#53 ·
This link is to a site that talks about alternate speaker locatoins for 7.1 systems.

I was going with 5.1 because my room configuration does not allow me to do the surround speakers on the side, thus no 7.1. I wouldn't be able to mount the side surrounds anywhere except in a walkway. These alternate 7.1 schemes have me thinking that I might be able to do 7.1 after all if I could do one of these configurations. Especially the latter three.

If you used such a nonstandard configuration, would the AVR know how to handle the sound for your particular configuration or would this require a firmware update at some point in time?

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryarber /forum/post/0

Does anyone know if the 2 HDMI outputs are active simultaneously or do you have to select which one is active?

they run in parallel so you can have both running at the same time, but not to a 2nd zone. It would have to be the same source.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead /forum/post/0

According to Denon's site, the 5308 will use Faroudja, not Realta.

That is not correct. The 5308 will have the Silicon Optix Realta Chip. The 4308 will use the Faroudja FL2301DCDi Chip

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz /forum/post/0

Specs are now listed here-

http://denon.jp/company/release/newavamp.html

The AVR-5308 is named the AVC-A1HD in Japan and is sans the tuner and D5 connectors. However everything else should be the same i.e look and connections. Finally enough HDMI connections (6 of them) to see me through

Just an update on my post. Finally have a picture of how the AVR-5308 that the US will get without the D5 connectors looks-

See the model no. on the back-

Lots more info here and a few videos-

http://www.avbuzz.com/audio-video/20...a1hd/index.htm

#67 ·
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how substantial the case is on this beast? Those side walls look like they are 3/16" thick, whereas most receivers these days use cheap, thin, formed sheet metal cases. I am a sucker for good build quality, but it also greatly reduces the resonance of the case.

I wonder if the final production 5803 will really have a thick machined aluminum cover like this prototype does? Even if it is only 1/8" in the final product, it will be an improvement over most AVRs.

I had the 5800 and it had a really well made case that gives you a certian sense of pride of ownership. The thought is that if they care that much about the case, just as much if not more care went into the circuit and component design.

Can't wait for this unit to reach market.

#68 ·
I never noticed before that this thing has a 4th zone. I knew it had component video out to zone 2, but it seems it also has composite out to zone 3. I'm falling in love with this thing. Do you guys know if anywhere you will be able to get one of these things online? I don't think there is a Denon dealership anywhere close to me.

BTW, can someone tell me why there are two sets of antenna inputs in this bad boy?

#69 ·

Quote:

BTW, can someone tell me why there are two sets of antenna inputs in this bad boy?

I'm guessing one is regular radio and one is HD radio. Or one is AM and one is FM.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/0

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how substantial the case is on this beast? Those side walls look like they are 3/16" thick, whereas most receivers these days use cheap, thin, formed sheet metal cases. I am a sucker for good build quality, but it also greatly reduces the resonance of the case.

I wonder if the final production 5803 will really have a thick machined aluminum cover like this prototype does? Even if it is only 1/8" in the final product, it will be an improvement over most AVRs.

I had the 5800 and it had a really well made case that gives you a certian sense of pride of ownership. The thought is that if they care that much about the case, just as much if not more care went into the circuit and component design.

Can't wait for this unit to reach market.

It won't come to market with that thick casing you're referring to. That is just a prototype shell used for display where you can see the top guts exposed.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S /forum/post/0

It won't come to market with that thick casing you're referring to. That is just a prototype shell used for display where you can see the top guts exposed.

While it probably won't have a case quite as thick as the prototype, I wouldn't be surprised if they went with a design similar to the current 5805 and the 5800 I used to own. Both have a removable top cover like the prototype 5803, and 1/8" aluminum side panels (as opposed to the formed sheet metal on their lower end models).

Here a shot of the back of the 5805 for reference.

http://usa.denon.com/AVR5805CI_Large...x_1200x769.jpg

#73 ·
There is talk in the Denon 3808/4308 thread about the 4308 only having 7 channels despite having 11 outputs.

Does anyone know how many channels the 5308 will output simultaneously? I was under the false impression that if you could hook something up to it, it would play.

#74 ·

Quote:

There is talk in the Denon 3808/4308 thread about the 4308 only having 7 channels despite having 11 outputs.

Does anyone know how many channels the 5308 will output simultaneously? I was under the false impression that if you could hook something up to it, it would play.

On the picture above some of the outputs are shown being labelled with "amp assign" so the 5308 will almost certainly not have 11 amp channels either. On AVBuzz ( http://www.avbuzz.com/audio-video/200707/denon-a1hd/ ) I found this :

這機的輸出在 6ohm的情況下是245W x 7

Now I can't read the Japanese/Chinese/Korean? but I'm going to assume that the 5308 is a 7 channel amp and has all the same limitations as the 4308.

#75 ·
I had a fellow Japanese co-worker verbally translate part of the file below and it appears that the 5308 will output 150W per channel X 7 channels (8 Ohm). I would have thought that it would have been 170W per channel like the current 5805 and even the old 5800, but it seems that Denon is being more consersvative in their ratings.

http://denon.jp/company/release/pdf/avca1hd.pdf

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/0

I had a fellow Japanese co-worker verbally translate part of the file below and it appears that the 5308 will output 150W per channel X 7 channels (8 Ohm). I would have thought that it would have been 170W per channel like the current 5805 and even the old 5800, but it seems that Denon is being more consersvative in their ratings.

http://denon.jp/company/release/pdf/avca1hd.pdf

Rememeber the 5308 is not a replacement for the 5805.

It's actually a step below the 5805 and a step up from the 4308.

dc