post #901 of 4970 Old 03-23-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

I thought that too, but apparently its the LFE cutoff and has nothing to do with the other speakers.

I've just had a bit of read and found out by putting it at 120hz and the amp at 80hz your letting the amp do the filtering.When I got my room calibratered I was told it really did not matter. So really eitherway there is no difference.

Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4970 Old 03-24-2008, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tross View Post

If you don't like this slight delay, then don't upscale. When upscaling on the Onkyo, the delay was significant. In fact, when not upscaling on the Onkyo, there was still a slight delay. If delay is a concern, go with Denon for sure.

Tross: I agree. I watched OTA tv last night and had 0 to maybe 1 sec audio delays while upscaling. I have only had the 905 and a older/cheaper Yammy to compare with but the 5308 has, once again, made me a very happy channel button pusher. So far, I'm glad I returned the 905 and waited for the 5308.

Not sure if you had a chance to read this 2 page response in regards to audio/video delays from a local CBS engineer. I found it very interesting. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post12816602
post #903 of 4970 Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Thats actually a link to the old June 07 interview.. here is one from Feb 08

http://www.listenup.com/content/part...dge.feb.08.php

He explains in more detail what the similarities and differences between the 5308 and AVP are....

D.
post #904 of 4970 Old 03-24-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorefours View Post

D.

mate they are identical bar the xtra transformer and dacs.If your using as a pre then your really buying the same thing but at a cheaper price.

Frank

post #905 of 4970 Old 03-24-2008, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Functionally they are very close, but I don't think the audio performance will be the same.. close, but not identical..

Haven't heard both, but I would bet the 4 dac's per channel, 7 power supplies, and internal routing make the AVP worth it's price
post #906 of 4970 Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Functionally they are very close, but I don't think the audio performance will be the same.. close, but not identical..

Haven't heard both, but I would bet the 4 dac's per channel, 7 power supplies, and internal routing make the AVP worth it's price

yeah your right, but would hear you the sonic difference? being connected to the power amp I thought you would not.I mean would it be night and day difference?

Frank

post #907 of 4970 Old 03-24-2008, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

another thing is (This is where I get confused) is the power amp the main source for the sound? That is the type of sound,clean etc. Where does the pre-amp contribute in the deveopment of sound bar the volume?I guess by having the xtra power supplies and dacs i guess the sound gets cleaned when it hits power amp stage correct? Still trying to get a grip on all of this.

Frank

post #908 of 4970 Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Got the call will be picking mine up on Thursday.

Frank

post #909 of 4970 Old 03-25-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Got the call will be picking mine up on Thursday.

Good to hear!

I ran it through some tests today. Im really impressed with how you can configure almost anything. I was especially testing using A+B in a 9.2 system and it seems to do everything right regarding levels and bass management.
The only bug I could find is when set to "non matrix".
For those that have never used it, its a setting for 5.1 material that will basically just play whatevers being played in the side surround out the corresponding back channel. Its a nice alternative to IIx that really disperses the sound and gives a nice movie theater feeling.
Unfortunately it appears to double the sub output and not cut it like it does with the the surround speakers.
Its probably not noticeable in real world listening though, since not alot of bass is used anyways.
It should also be noted that I never tested my old Denon, so Im not sure if it always did that.
post #910 of 4970 Old 03-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the kind words, but I haven't been responsible for anything being fixed or resolved.. just been vocal with those who would listen and I have some access to, and been very fortunate to have some inside information tossed my way..

But I am going to speak with DTS about the static pops when I have some time next week

I was having static pops on my old Yamaha DSP-A1 with a Pioneer BDP-95HD, although when I switched to the Denon 5308 receiver, those problems have gone away. I believe the problem is that new blu-ray media requires a new audio hardware, so you problems might go away with the new Denon 5308.

Nitro
post #911 of 4970 Old 03-25-2008, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro67 View Post

I was having static pops on my old Yamaha DSP-A1 with a Pioneer BDP-95HD, although when I switched to the Denon 5308 receiver, those problems have gone away. I believe the problem is that new blu-ray media requires a new audio hardware, so you problems might go away with the new Denon 5308.

Nitro

He was referring to this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008620

Fortunately, it appears us Denon users don't have to worry about it!
post #912 of 4970 Old 03-25-2008, 07:47 PM

hi all,

i have some new info, as well as another problem to report. the new info is related to my intermittent connection drops that i reported earlier. denon seems to be implying that this is related to my dtv h20 somehow? i'm still working on that issue, more to follow.

on another front, my h20 locked up during a scheduled upgrade on Sunday, and BSOD'd. After tearing everything apart, i called DTV and reset it completely. That cleared the BSOD, but i now have lost all menu access from the receiver to the tv?

anyone know how i can get them back?
post #913 of 4970 Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 PM

Liked: 12
The wait for my replacement 5308 is almost over!! I have to make a special trip to Raytown, MO to pick it up from the Midwest Rep tomorrow.

That's a 174 mile trip (one way) from home, but it will be worth it. My dealer is in Springfield, Mo, but to shave a few days off of my wait, rather than waiting for the rep to ship it to my dealer, I'm going directly to the rep. It's about time for a nice road trip anyway.

More Afraid of Liberals than Terrorists.
post #914 of 4970 Old 03-25-2008, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

can anyone confirm the video board/circuit used in the 5308 is identical to the top of the line avp-1hdci pre/pro?

also, anyone here own a 2930 or 3930 dvd player and compared its sd dvd quality to the onboard video on the 5308?

post #915 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drick View Post

hi all,

i have some new info, as well as another problem to report. the new info is related to my intermittent connection drops that i reported earlier. denon seems to be implying that this is related to my dtv h20 somehow? i'm still working on that issue, more to follow.

on another front, my h20 locked up during a scheduled upgrade on Sunday, and BSOD'd. After tearing everything apart, i called DTV and reset it completely. That cleared the BSOD, but i now have lost all menu access from the receiver to the tv?

anyone know how i can get them back?

I couldnt get the menu up once either. It appears to get tricked up when changing resolution (good ole HDMI). I turned off everything and unplugged HDMI's and it worked again.
post #916 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

can anyone confirm the video board/circuit used in the 5308 is identical to the top of the line avp-1hdci pre/pro?

also, anyone here own a 2930 or 3930 dvd player and compared its sd dvd quality to the onboard video on the 5308?

Hi Anthony A, The video board circuit I was told is the same.Actually there very similar in most aspects.Have also a 3930 which I will try when i recieve my Amp tomorrow.

Frank

post #917 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 04:37 PM

Has anyone tried streaming music files from a computer to the Denon thru its MEDIA SERVER function. I've been trying to get this working with Windows Media Player 11 but the Denon does not see the computer on the network.

I've got a boatload of .FLAC music files on my computer and I would like to try sharing them to the denon to try out the builtin decoder. (.FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, compresses .WAV files down to about 55% of original size with no loss in audio quality.)

I'm using the wireless connection of the denon. It streams internet radio stations just fine thru the broadband connection. Anyone played around with this yet?

Oh one more thing, if you don't like the remote, and don't have the extra five hundred bucks to get the nice one, you can access alot of the menus thru a web browser. Its actually pretty nice. (much easier to see and navigate than with the remote)

Just add the Denon to your network and then key in its assigned IP address from your web browser and your in. (its actually pretty slick)
Anyone tried it out yet?
post #918 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

A significant percentage of the owners in this thread have returned their units due to various problems.

I thought I'd test this statement by going through this thread and trying to figure how many of those who reported purchasing the AVR-5308CI or AVC-A1HD have been through more than one unit. Below I list all of the owners I found and how many units they've had so far.

Out of 41 units delivered, 6 were returned due to problems, or 15%.
Out of 41 units delivered, 5 were returned due to problems, or 12%.
Out of 43 units delivered, 5 were returned due to problems, or 12%.
Out of 46 units delivered, 5 were returned due to problems, or 11%.

Of course this is unscientific and prone to error, but I thought it might be interesting. If I missed you or you'd like to correct the number of units you've had please PM me.

drick: 1
bandali: 1
magnetx: 1
dem: 2
Jack Smith: 1
MarkW: 1
Jay_Jay: 1
Petrey: 1
RonB63: 1
gfortune1981: 1
bobbyhollywood: 1
deltafox: 1
prismic: 1
DreamCatcher: 1
rudolpht: 1
@@@@@: 1
leegeousa: 1
placidman: 1
tross: 1
docderwood: 1
ScurvyDog: 1
hifiaudio2: 1
weatherby: 1
JAB: 1
Kuro: 1
StephenChow: 2
VTGOLFER: 1
nucky: 1
shamus: 1
TrondB: 1
CadmanDigital4U: 2
diversifiedesi: 3
chris bryant: 1
NCoastTweaker: 1
jnelson2000: 1, 1
Franin: 1
jefmedia: 1
blackssr: 1
no-nonsense: 1
Mike C: 1

Dave
post #919 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:

NCoastTweaker;13481700]Has anyone tried streaming music files from a computer to the Denon thru its MEDIA SERVER function. I've been trying to get this working with Windows Media Player 11 but the Denon does not see the computer on the network.

NCoast, I'm hardwired into the 5308's CD input via rca's from a dedicated TR computer, (working on a hdmi audio card for this computer) and use the Mits 62" as a moniter. Works great with wma lossless cd recordings. I'm an old fashioned hardwired kind of guy so can't help with the wireless/network stuff.

Dem: This is a keeper, no obvious problems as discussed in this thread but still tweaking and waiting for a BD2500. I wonder if your survey is a tad unfair since most folks that have a problem post here first. Many just read but do not respond if they are happy with the unit.
post #920 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

picked mine up today! hopefully all good.Will report later.

Frank

post #921 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:

I couldnt get the menu up once either. It appears to get tricked up when changing resolution (good ole HDMI). I turned off everything and unplugged HDMI's and it worked again.

hmm, i tried that and it didn't work.

i also did a factory reset, no dice there either.

this frigging thing is BUGGY.
post #922 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drick View Post

hmm, i tried that and it didn't work.

i also did a factory reset, no dice there either.

this frigging thing is BUGGY.

Is it possibe you turned off the on screen menu?
post #923 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice work Dem!
post #924 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 09:38 PM

I guess I will put my two cents in that I have had no problems whatsoever with my unit. it works perfect. I love having just hdmi in and out. Greatly simplifies everything. Audyssey works fantastic. My theater has never sounded so good. I am a very happy camper.
post #925 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 PM

After being in high-tech for many years and releasing new products all the time, 12% fall out in the first few months after a first customer ship is not bad. I'm with Weatherby - I'm a very happy customer!

Thanks for putting this together Dem - nice work!
post #926 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 PM

Hi,

Are any of you Denon 5308ci owners running a 9.x speaker array? Is more better or would it be best to stick with 7.1?

How does the 5308 treat the extra speakers, or is it configurable? Can they be extra sides or fronts?

I am setting up a long room and want to configure the room with two extra sides like in a theater.

Does Audyssey work with 9.x speakers or is it limited to 7.1?

What do you recommend?

Thank you!
post #927 of 4970 Old 03-26-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastlane View Post

Hi,

Are any of you Denon 5308ci owners running a 9.x speaker array? Is more better or would it be best to stick with 7.1?

How does the 5308 treat the extra speakers, or is it configurable? Can they be extra sides or fronts?

I am setting up a long room and want to configure the room with two extra sides like in a theater.

Does Audyssey work with 9.x speakers or is it limited to 7.1?

What do you recommend?

Thank you!

Pg. 84 of the manual has a great layout of 9.1 that I intend to try (using Zone 2 for outdoor speakers). The theater is still being finished so my 5308 is still unfortunately sitting in its box ready to go. Here's hoping I don't experience any issues with the unit!

I asked a while back how the 9.1 (or "9.3" if you consider the second sub and ButtKicker) sounds with SL-A/SR-A and SL-B/SR-B each sharing an amp (I'm assuming in parallel). I'll report back once I get everything up and going in the next couple of weeks if you want.

My layout:
NHT 2.5i (L, R)
NHT AudioCenter1 (C)
NHT SuperOne (SL-A, SR-A, SL-B, SR-B, SBL, SBR)
NHT SubTwo-i (x 2)
ButtKicker LFE Transducer

Would love to hear from someone already running 9.x all off the 5308 though!
post #928 of 4970 Old 03-27-2008, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is it possibe you turned off the on screen menu?

I have my Jvc projector on 1 and a philips monitor on 2.I also noticed that the menu turns off especially when your assigning. It does come back on or what I do I look at the screen on the Denon and work from there I notice it comes back on.My guess HDMI(Still not 100% in any system) turns on and off when assigning.Might need a firmware upgrade also.

Frank

post #929 of 4970 Old 03-27-2008, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here are some pics of the AVC-A1HD and the room!

Frank

post #930 of 4970 Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Here are some pics of the AVC-A1HD and the room!

Are you sure you have enough disc players? :-)

Does the A1HD come with the annoying Microsoft and DLNA stickers on it like the 5308? The first thing I did was peel those off.

Dave
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page