*Official* Denon 5308 Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 4994 Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is it better for the 5308 to upconvert 480i or 480p to 1080i ?

Thanks.....

Shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 4994 Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

It's not just Denon, that's the way most all companies work. And it's not that way just for A/V gear either. Something like buying a new car in Mexico or Canada and trying to get warranty work done in the US or if it's the other way around, even if you are ony on a vacation out of your country, can be a big problem for people.

Don't know about anybody else, but I think that's just plain wrong, for manufacturers to do something like that
post #1173 of 4994 Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Are there any discrete codes to get to the bass and treble settings ?

Shelly
post #1174 of 4994 Old 04-18-2008, 10:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by no-nonsense View Post

Don't know about anybody else, but I think that's just plain wrong, for manufacturers to do something like that

Well, the warranty terms can vary from country to country. And in the case of A/V gear like Denon, the warranty is usually provided by the people who are the authorized importer for the product in that country, and not directly by Denon. Plus some countries have models that they can buy, that are not even sold in some other countries.

And in the case of a car or truck that's made for sale in Mexico only, something like the emissions systems and their related parts are often totaly different in many cases, and in some cases for light trucks even lacking any real emission system, and a US dealer can not even order the parts. Plus the US dealer has no way of submitting the warranty claim to Mexico's divison of whatever car/truck brand it is. And it also would work the other way around, with a US product in Mexico. And a product that's made for the Canadian market would be the same way, with possible warranty problems in the US or Mexico.

The only differences is with cars/trucks, is that sometimes they will reimburse you for a repairs that had to be done while you were on a vacation *across a border*. Often times you can get reimbursed for that, but you will first have to pay the bill yourself, and then try to submit it to the division that handles the brand in your home country. If they approve it, you get your money back, unless whoever did the repair ripped you off on the price. Then they may only pay you back a pro-rated amount, more in line to what it should have cost for the repair.

On related note. You can sometimes even get reimbursed for some emergency repair that were done by a local repair shop and not a new car dealer for the brand. Usually though you would only do that if you were in a area where there were no authorized dealers at all for the brand within towing distance, as warranty will most times also pay for the towing bill for a major breakdown, or any breakdown that immobilizes the car while still under warranty. And if they find that there was a dealer within a reasonable towing distance that you could have gone to instead, then they may, or may not reimburse you for the repairs. Because they really want their own dealers doing the repairs, and they also prefer to have some or even all of the defective parts turned back in, in many cases.

And it's not really because they want to look at the part and try to figure out why it failed or broke. Most of the time they only want the old parts as a means of proof that a part was indeed replaced and a repair was done. But that is not saying that all parts that get turned back in under warranty, are any real proof that a repair was actually even done on the car that the warranty claim is submitted for. Some dealers even find out that submitting too many warranty claims that don't *look right* or are out of line with most other dealers, often times brings up warning flags in regards to that dealer after awhile.

And that is why some new car dealers, at some point in time, gets hit with a warranty audit...
post #1175 of 4994 Old 04-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Well, the warranty terms can vary from country to country. And in the case of A/V gear like Denon, the warranty is usually provided by the people who are the authorized importer for the product in that country, and not directly by Denon. Plus some countries have models that they can buy, that are not even sold in some other countries.

And in the case of a car or truck that's made for sale in Mexico only, something like the emissions systems and their related parts are often totaly different in many cases, and in some cases for light trucks even lacking any real emission system, and a US dealer can not even order the parts. Plus the US dealer has no way of submitting the warranty claim to Mexico's divison of whatever car/truck brand it is. And it also would work the other way around, with a US product in Mexico. And a product that's made for the Canadian market would be the same way, possible warranty problems in the US or Mexico.

The only differences is with cars/trucks, is that sometimes they will reimburse you for a repair that had to be done while you were on a vacation *across a border*. Often times you can get reimbursed for that, but you will first have to pay the bill yourself, and then try to submit it to the division that handles the brand in your home country. If they approve it, you get your money back, unless whoever did the repair ripped you off on the price. Then they may only pay you back a pro-rated amount, more in line to what it should have cost for the repair.

On related note. You can sometimes even get reimbursed for some emergency repair that were done by a local repair shop and not a new car dealer for the brand. Usually though you would only do that if you were in a area where there were no authorized dealers at all for the brand within towing distance, as warranty will most times also pay for the towing bill for a major breakdown, or any breakdown that immobilizes the car while still under warranty. And if they find that there was a dealer within a reasonable towing distance that you could have gone to instead, then they may, or may not reimburse you for the repairs.

Sounds like you've been there, reimbersment is fine, just plain disassociating ones warranty for a product, because someone took it to another country, just plain sucks, the reason for doing so, doesn't change my opinion on the subject
post #1176 of 4994 Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 PM

When looking at the video throught the 5308ci (as opposed to direct connection to the TV) has anybody noticed a shift to the left? besides me, I was blaming the transcoder I use to convert the HDMI to component, but then I tried through the component connections, and had the same shift to the left, only not quite as much of a shift
post #1177 of 4994 Old 04-19-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

When looking at the video throught the 5308ci (as opposed to direct connection to the TV) has anybody noticed a shift to the left? besides me, I was blaming the transcoder I use to convert the HDMI to component, but then I tried through the component connections, and had the same shift to the left, only not quite as much of a shift

Yep. Mine shifts to the right.
Original post a couple pages back.
Quote:

Just messing around with the new BD DVE and it shows 1 pixel is cropped on the right side.
I disconnected the receiver and its perfect???
This is with video conversion on and off.

I really don't understand the importance of that, if any, but why is the Denon cropping it?

post #1178 of 4994 Old 04-19-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Yep. Mine shifts to the right.
Original post a couple pages back.

Not sure it's pixel cropping in my case, the picture fills the screen (73") it just moves it about 2" to the left, most puzzling, has anybody contacted Denon on this yet?, did you connect to the web site and do an upgrade?, I'm sure when Denon engineers hear of the problem, that at some point they will have a fix for it, at least I hope so.
post #1179 of 4994 Old 04-19-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure it's pixel cropping in my case, the picture fills the screen (73") it just moves it about 2" to the left, most puzzling, has anybody contacted Denon on this yet?, did you connect to the web site and do an upgrade?, I'm sure when Denon engineers hear of the problem, that at some point they will have a fix for it, at least I hope so.

Maybe Im using the wrong words, but the left side shows all the information and the right side is missing some.
I just don't understand why it would do this when the processor is turned off?
post #1180 of 4994 Old 04-20-2008, 11:11 AM

Bought mine in late January. Upgrading to AVP-A1HDCI & POA-A1HDCI

If interested PM me. Will not ship and only if you are in the Boston area you can come and see the unit in operation and if you like it you can buy it.

Very very good price.
post #1181 of 4994 Old 04-20-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Maybe Im using the wrong words, but the left side shows all the information and the right side is missing some.
I just don't understand why it would do this when the processor is turned off?

it sounds as if yours is doing the same thing, moving the picture to the left, does this mean you have a blank space on the right side, I have to much overscan for that to happen
post #1182 of 4994 Old 04-20-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it sounds as if yours is doing the same thing, moving the picture to the left, does this mean you have a blank space on the right side, I have to much overscan for that to happen

Im using a projector so I dont know if there is a blank space or not. My image appears to shift to the right, not the left.
post #1183 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

What the... this AVR's got a world-class HQV Realta sxT2-400 -- and it won't deinterlace 1080i when fed via HDMI? Tell me that ain't so.
Oh boy, it won't even scale from DVD to 1080 if you're feeding video via HDMI.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #1184 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

What the... this AVR's got a world-class HQV Realta sxT2-400 -- and it won't deinterlace 1080i when fed via HDMI? Tell me that ain't so.
Oh boy, it won't even scale from DVD to 1080 if you're feeding video via HDMI.

????
post #1185 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

????

I've got the AVC-A1HD here. It doesn't process HDMI video at all. Connect a DVD player with HDMI and set it to send 480i -- and A1HD passes 480i as-is to the display. HQV Benchmark Blu-ray from PS3 was passed as 1080i through the A1HD.

post #1186 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 11:57 AM
dem

Quote:

I've got the AVC-A1HD here. It doesn't process HDMI video at all. Connect a DVD player with HDMI and set it to send 480i -- and A1HD passes 480i as-is to the display. HQV Benchmark Blu-ray from PS3 was passed as 1080i through the A1HD.

Have you enabled HDMI to HDMI conversion? It's disabled by default.

Dave
post #1187 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure it will! You got it set up wrong.
Make sure video convert is turned on, i/p scaler set t0 A to H H to H, and make sure resolution (HDMI not Analog) is set to 1080p or auto.
post #1188 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Umm, thanks guys, but where do I find that setting? I've been through the menus a few times already and haven't found anything like that.

post #1189 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly40 View Post

Is it better for the 5308 to upconvert 480i or 480p to 1080i ?

Thanks.....

Shelly

Greetings,

Send 480i. If you send 480p then the source will de-interlace first and then the Denon will need to interlace back to 1080i. Too many unnecessary steps.

Quote:

You need to go into the video source setup menu for that input and set it to upconvert rather than pass through. Those settings are done on an input by input basis. My 5308 has no problem processing HDMI.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #1190 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Ohhh, so it's hidden under there! No wonder I didn't find it. D'oh!

Thanks!

post #1191 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Ohhh, so it's hidden under there! No wonder I didn't find it. D'oh!

Thanks!

Greetings,

No problem..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #1192 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Hi,
I just bought a Panasonic BD 30 Bluray player and set all the setting's to bitstream to the 5308 thru HDMI. The display on the 5308 says Dolby Digital only. I set the menu setting on the movie to DD TrueHD. Shouldn't the 5308 display TrueHD? I've tried all the things I could think of but still getting only DD to display. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Rick
post #1193 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post

Hi,
I just bought a Panasonic BD 30 Bluray player and set all the setting's to bitstream to the 5308 thru HDMI. The display on the 5308 says Dolby Digital only. I set the menu setting on the movie to DD TrueHD. Shouldn't the 5308 display TrueHD? I've tried all the things I could think of but still getting only DD to display. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Greetings,

Make sure the TrueHD audio track is selected in the disc menu. I have the BD30 and 5308 and there is no problem.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #1194 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post

Hi,

What title did you try and have you updated the firmware in the BD30?

Also, make sure you have secondary audio off on the BD30..
post #1195 of 4994 Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Hi,

Thanks for the replies..........I had tried the things you guys had mentioned. It turned out to be kinda of a weird setting in the BD30. I had to hookup a S-video cable to make the adjustment since my display is a 720P display. I found the answer on the BD30 thread........I guess I wasn't the only one having this problem. Anyway, all is good....True HD is now working!

Rick

Here is the quote for the BD30.

" Originally Posted by Zip2 View Post
If you are having a problem getting your BD30 to send HD audio formats to your reciever, here is a workaround.

I posted this over in the Blu-ray.com forums but figured this would be helpful to some here too. Haven't seen anyone else come up with this solution yet.

You can hook up an external monitor or another input on your TV via the included RCA cables until you get the initial setup done or here is the other option.....

The issue is actually written kind of vaguely in the manual and the problem only occures if you don't have a 1080p capable TV.

So here are the steps to get it to work and yes, it's crazy.

The Panisonic DMP-BD30 starts it's operation, out of the box, in 1080p mode when hooked up via HDMI.

Step #1 is to use the (play button) + (stop button) combination on the player itself to switch the video mode to something more suitable for use with older TV's.

Now here is where it gets tricky...

In the manual it states that when you do this No HD audio will be output from the player via bitstream until the player is reset back to factory defaults (through the setup menu). Problem is, when you do that, the player reverts back to 1080p mode and an endless loop begins.

So what you have to do here (remember I said it's crazy) is memorize the button presses so you can get into the display mode settings and change it to whatever your native resolution is (1080i for me).

Once you have the button presses memorized (or written down) go into the setup menu and select -Reset to Factory Settings-

Once again the screen will go black. Hit setup, enter your button sequence, and you will once again have picture.

Last thing you have to remember to do is go back into your audio settings and change everything to Bitstream, also remember to turn secondary audio to off.

Anyway, all should work fine after that. Holy crap, what a pain.
I've been working on this for pretty much two straight days now, with two different receivers and figured it out. It sucked, but I must say it was satifying. For those of you that doubt this is the only way to fix it, trust me, it is, I've tried EVERYTHING! This just happened to be the very last thing I was going to try.

Hope this helps the few people with this problem. "

Rick
post #1196 of 4994 Old 04-22-2008, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have looked at the Denon site and can see differences, but do not know what they mean to me. I'm going to buy one of them.

Any help appreciated...

Thanks,

Point me in the right direction, if this has been answered before......
post #1197 of 4994 Old 04-22-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSO Z View Post

I have looked at the Denon site and can see differences, but do not know what they mean to me. I'm going to buy one of them.

Any help appreciated...

Thanks,

Point me in the right direction, if this has been answered before......

I went out and compaired the two in a couple of HIGH END stores in the LA area, while there are many subtle differences between the two, the difference in picture quality made it easy for me to spend the extra for the 5308
post #1198 of 4994 Old 04-22-2008, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
no-nonsense,

Picture quality? Do you think that is because of the REALTA chip?

Thanks,
post #1199 of 4994 Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSO Z View Post

no-nonsense,

Picture quality? Do you think that is because of the REALTA chip?

Thanks,

First of all, I didn't go looking for Denon receivers, every year I look at the newest in Video displays, to see if there is something out there that has a visibly better picture than what I have, 73" or larger, my bud. took me to an installer dealer, he just happened to have both receivers hooked up to a Pioneer 60" KURO 150FD Plazma (he had just installed the 5308 as was going to move the 4308 to another display room, I had him play my favorite refrence DVD, The Lord of the Rings, with the 5308 the smallest details were clearly visible, they were less sharp with the 4308 (I don't have a BLU-RAY player yet, so he played the LOTR through a 5910ci) the color balance was better with the 5308, as was the grey scale, now, I don't know if you would notice the difference on a smaller screen, or one lesser in quality, or how BLU-RAY would come across, perhaps the difference would not be noticed, I can only tell you of my experience, and what I saw was different enough to warrent the expense, the HQV chip in the 5308 is most likely a large contributor to the differences, however there are a lot of other parts differences, as well as layout of components, I think it would be best to check the receivers out at a local Denon dealer for yourself, I only know I couldn't possibly be happier, far and away the best receiver I have ever had (my last was Denon avr5803) and I recommend it to everyone who will listen
post #1200 of 4994 Old 04-23-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:

First of all, I didn't go looking for Denon receivers, every year I look at the newest in Video displays, to see if there is something out there that has a visibly better picture than what I have, 73" or larger, my bud. took me to an installer dealer, he just happened to have both receivers hooked up to a Pioneer 60" KURO 150FD Plazma (he had just installed the 5308 as was going to move the 4308 to another display room, I had him play my favorite refrence DVD, The Lord of the Rings, with the 5308 the smallest details were clearly visible, they were less sharp with the 4308 (I don't have a BLU-RAY player yet, so he played the LOTR through a 5910ci) the color balance was better with the 5308, as was the grey scale, now, I don't know if you would notice the difference on a smaller screen, or one lesser in quality, or how BLU-RAY would come across, perhaps the difference would not be noticed, I can only tell you of my experience, and what I saw was different enough to warrent the expense, the HQV chip in the 5308 is most likely a large contributor to the differences, however there are a lot of other parts differences, as well as layout of components, I think it would be best to check the receivers out at a local Denon dealer for yourself, I only know I couldn't possibly be happier, far and away the best receiver I have ever had (my last was Denon avr5803) and I recommend it to everyone who will listen

May I ask a few questions?
I'm possibly interested in getting the Denon 2500BT some time in the future to compliment my AVC-A1HD (5308 outside Europe).
1. Would I be best leaving the SD output at 480/576i and letting the (presumably) better scaling technology in the A1HD do the scaling for any SD material? I presume the scaling technology onboard the 5308 is similar to the Denon 3800BD player?
2. I'm really struggling to understand the whole YCbCr/rgb over HDMI thing! Which is best? My amp can send out HDMI as a YCbCr signal or RGB. And with RGB there's a further setting (enhanced), is this something to do with black levels on SD DVD being sent as either PAL or NTSC? The settings are in the HDMI settings of the amp, so I presume this setting affects the output of any sources?
3. When I turn on the video convert mode and select the different options, (A to H, A to H H to H etc) what does the second setting do? Can you 'tinker' with HD video?

I'd be most appreciative if anyone could answer these questions, I'm still getting to grips with this beast of an amp!
Thanks in advance,
Steve.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page