CHEAP receiver that is multiroom capable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-24-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a receiver that can do multiroom, but it doesn't have to be that powerful or that great. HDMI isn't necessary. It just needs standard stuff: component inputs, dolby digital/dts, etc.

I'd like to keep it as close to $100 as possible, though that may not be reasonable. If that's not realistic, what are some of the cheapest ones available? I was looking through receivers and it seems like multiroom isn't as common a feature as I originally thought.

Here's my situation: My aunt wants to have speakers for 3 rooms in her apartment. I don't want to hook up the speakers to the surrounds and surround-backs and then use a 6-channel stereo mode (duplicating the fronts to the surrounds) because something might happen with a setting and my aunt would be confused. So, I think the best option would be to get a multi-room receiver and hook it up to a speaker-switcher of some kind. I'm not sure if the speaker-switcher would be any easier, though. What do you think?

If I go with the multi-room + speaker-switcher combo, I would only use the fronts and the multi-room speakers. I wouldn't use the surrounds. This Denon AVR-486 is the best and cheapest multiroom I've found so far. I don't know about the seller though.

What are some options I have?

If you've had half as much fun reading this post as I've had writing it, well then, I've had twice as much fun writing this post as you've had reading it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-24-2007, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanerman View Post

I need a receiver that can do multiroom, but it doesn't have to be that powerful or that great. HDMI isn't necessary. It just needs standard stuff: component inputs, dolby digital/dts, etc.

I'd like to keep it as close to $100 as possible, though that may not be reasonable.

What are some options I have?

Dude - check around for a guy selling stuff out of the back of a white van Seriously, I would think that used/refurb is about the only way to hit that price. Just my $0.02
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page